Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Reviews (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Movie Forums Top Foreign Language Films Countdown - Preliminary Thread (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=63464)

Thursday Next 03-10-21 03:57 PM

Movie Forums Top Foreign Language Films Countdown - Preliminary Thread

1 Attachment(s)

Here we go!

The basics:

Submit a ranked list of 25 foreign language films by the deadline of 10th June.

To submit your list, use the brand-new shiny ballot submission tool that Yoda has made by clicking here:

It will look like this:

You can type the name of the movie you want and then select it from the drop-down list. Or you can click on ‘movie you want not showing up’ at the top right and paste the url of the movie from imdb or tmdb.

Please check the date of the film carefully to make sure that you are choosing the right film – often there are several films with the same title.

Your list should be ranked in order of preference. Films will be awarded points as follows: 25 points for 1st place, 24 points for 2nd place, 23 for 3rd and so on, all the way down to one point for your 25th placed film

You will receive a copy of your list via PM after you submit.

All ballots are final, so please take care when compiling your list. You must have been a member here for at least a month to submit a list. You can submit a partial list of 10 or more, but I would encourage you to spend some time watching films first and only submit a partial list if the deadline is fast approaching and you really can’t come up with 25 films you really like.

Please do not post your list in this thread or anywhere else on movieforums until after the countdown or your list may be disqualified.

What is eligible for this countdown?

Any film of any length that is primarily in a language other than English. ‘Foreign’ means different things to different people, but as the primary language of this forum is English, this is our chance to celebrate films made in different languages. Language is the criteria – not the filming location, director’s nationality or any other consideration.

Films which are primarily in a language other than English but with some English dialogue are eligible.

Films which are primarily in English but with some dialogue in another language are not eligible.

Television series are not eligible, unless they have also been released in film format (e.g. Das Boot and Fanny and Alexander are eligible.)

Other eligibility questions can be raised by polite discussion in this thread. Curator’s decision is final :)

How do I choose what to vote for?

It’s up to you! The world is your oyster. If you want to make sure your list represents the best of cinematic masterpieces from every continent, that’s fine. If you want to turn in a list consisting entirely of South Korean monster movies, also fine.

The most important thing is to have fun exploring foreign language cinema – you’ve got exactly 3 months, so get watching…with subtitles!

Thursday Next 03-10-21 03:57 PM

Re: Movieforums Top Foreign Language Films Countdown - Preliminary Thr

Useful Links and Recs

Foreign Language Recommendation Exchange Thread by Citizen Rules

GBGoodies asks for specific foreign language recs

Lists received 74

Nope 1172
martyrofevil
Holden Pike
Tramuzgan
John W Constantine
ahwell
Steve Freeling
sawduck
Matt72582
Loner
Diehl40
Nidral
Harry Lime
Allaby
Miss Vicky
Guaporense
SpelingError
Thursday Next
Torgo
Kaplan
Phoenix74
John Dumbear
seanc
Skepsis93
Hey Fredrick
HasshtagBrownies
GulfportDoc
PahaK
Mr Minio
Chypmunk
the samoan lawyer
xSookieStackhouse (resubmission pending)
Takoma11
mark f
re93animator
neiba
Thracian Dawg
crumbsroom
donniedarko
Thief
wositelec
Citizen Rules
Rockatansky
Taz
ElizabethOliver
MovieMad16
Jabs
Wyldesyde19
KeyserCorleone
Jinnistan
Fabulous
Okay
resopamenic
rauldc14
cricket
Siddon
rbrayer
John-Connor
edarsenal
jiraffejustin
ApexPredator
ScarletLion
Yoda
kgaard
Frightened Inmate No. 2
moongirl
intialen
gbgoodies
Iroquois
WBadger
Captain Spaulding
Aidanc
Nemanja
sarah f
gandalf26

Thursday Next 03-10-21 03:58 PM

Eligibility questions

Closed

Foreign made silent/dialogue-free films - eligible
War and Peace (1966) - eligible
Polytechnique - eligible

Italian made dubbed films
Suggested ruling: Yes, if they are mostly available/best known in a foreign langauge e.g. Suspiria, The Leopard. No, if they are mostly available/best known in English e.g. The Good the Bad and the Ugly

Berlin Alexanderplatz (1980)
No, because it is listed on imdb and wikipedia as a tv mini series.

Yoda 03-10-21 04:00 PM

Re: Movie Forums Top Foreign Language Films Countdown - Preliminary Th

Huzzah, here we go!

The ballot form is obviously new, and while it's been fairly well-tested (famous last words, I know), if you run into any issues with it, please PM me (rather than Thursday), since it's my responsibility to fix such things. Please do read that little paragraph at the top of the ballot submission page, though, before you start adding films, too.

Chypmunk 03-10-21 04:05 PM

No silent films allowed then :(

Quick question re the Ballot Submission Form - is it top-down or bottom-up (#1 at the top or bottom of the list)?

Thursday Next 03-10-21 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Chypmunk (Post 2185557)
I did consider the eligibility of silent films, but decided that I would wait and see if anyone brought them up :)

My feeling would be that if the original language of the intertitles is not English, they should probably be eligible, but I'm happy to have a discussion on that point and go with the prevailing mood.

Yoda 03-10-21 04:08 PM

Quick question re the Ballot Submission Form - is it top-down or bottom-up (#1 at the top or bottom of the list)?
#1 first, and it'll show the rankings as you add them. You can drag or drop to change the order, as well. And the list will not be saved until you hit the button at the bottom, so you can add them in whatever order and move them around as you please until you're ready to submit.

Thursday Next 03-10-21 04:09 PM

Good question!

Top down, and as you add films it will have the number next to them. If you add three films it will clearly show them as 1, 2 and 3 (25 points, 24 points, 23 points) and you can reorder them before pressing submit if you want them in a different order.

Thursday Next 03-10-21 04:10 PM

Jinx :p

Thief 03-10-21 04:17 PM

https://i.makeagif.com/media/7-15-2018/WM0mxr.gif

Oh yeahhh!

Thief 03-10-21 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2185554)
Huzzah, here we go!

The ballot form is obviously new, and while it's been fairly well-tested (famous last words, I know), if you run into any issues with it, please PM me (rather than Thursday), since it's my responsibility to fix such things. Please do read that little paragraph at the top of the ballot submission page, though, before you start adding films, too.
But what if the issue happens on a Thursday? Should I wait until Friday to PM you? :shifty:

Yoda 03-10-21 04:25 PM

I see Chyp's influence is spreading.

Wyldesyde19 03-10-21 04:27 PM

I’ll gladly contact you Friday for a problem on Thursday

Mr Minio 03-10-21 04:27 PM

Great. 3 months to find a film with the wildest title for my one-pointer.

https://i.imgur.com/9aEDKYP.png

Citizen Rules 03-10-21 04:32 PM

Nicely done OP and guidelines, Thursday! I see this countdown is in good hands and off to a great start...so glad you're doing this for us:)

Thief 03-10-21 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2185572)
I see Chyp's influence is spreading.
https://media2.giphy.com/media/3o7bt...R2w/source.gif

:D

SpelingError 03-10-21 04:40 PM

I'm looking forward to this list.

Thursday Next 03-10-21 04:49 PM

If anyone wants to do a separate recommendations thread, go ahead and I'll link it in one of the reserved posts.

pahaK 03-10-21 05:53 PM

So, about eligibility. How about films like Suspiria and Leone's westerns? Here's what Wikipedia says about Suspiria and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly:

All of the actors' dialogue was dubbed through additional dialogue recording—a common practice in Italian filmmaking at the time.[7] On set, each actor spoke their native language (for instance, Harper, Valli, and Bennett spoke English; Casini, Bosé, Valli, and Bucci spoke Italian; and several others spoke German). Argento expressed disappointment over the fact that Harper's voice, which he liked, was not heard in the Italian market because she was dubbed in Italian by another actress. The dubbing was overseen by Ted Rusoff, a prolific voiceover artist based in Rome who supervised English-language dubbing for numerous European genre films including Argento's follow-up to Suspiria, Inferno.

Contrary to the conventional wisdom that Suspiria is entirely post-synced, the English-language mix is actually not entirely dubbed and uses a fair amount of production dialogue recorded on set, mixed with post-synced ADR. Actors whose actual on-set recorded voices appear in some scenes of the English mix are Jessica Harper, Alida Valli, Joan Bennet, Miguel Bosé, and Flavio Bucci.
As an international cast was employed, actors performed in their native languages. Eastwood, Van Cleef and Wallach spoke English, and were dubbed into Italian for the debut release in Rome. For the American version, the lead acting voices were used, but supporting cast members were dubbed into English.[46] The result is noticeable in the bad synchronization of voices to lip movements on screen; none of the dialogue is completely in sync because Leone rarely shot his scenes with synchronized sound.[47] Various reasons have been cited for this: Leone often liked to play Morricone's music over a scene and possibly shout things at the actors to get them in the mood. Leone cared more for visuals than dialogue (his English was limited, at best). Given the technical limitations of the time, recording the sound cleanly would have been difficult in most of the extremely wide shots Leone frequently used. Also, a standard practice in Italian films at this time was to shoot silently and postdub. Whatever the actual reason, all dialogue in the film was recorded in postproduction.
I honestly don't know if they're foreign language films or not.

Thursday Next 03-10-21 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by pahaK (Post 2185607)
So, about eligibility. How about films like Suspiria and Leone's westerns? Here's what Wikipedia says about Suspiria and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly:

I honestly don't know if they're foreign language films or not.
This is an interesting point - I know this was a common practice with Italian films at one point. The Leopard is another well-known one.

Suspiria and The Leopard were definitely in a foreign language when I watched them, even if it wasn't the language(s) they were recorded in, therefore I would be inclined to count them. The Good the Bad and the Ugly was definitely in English when I watched it and I imagine that is the same for most users, so I would be inclined not to count it.

I realise that is not a hard and fast criteria, so I'm open to people's suggestions on this. It might come down to availability of different dubs but I don't know how to verify that. It might come down to common sense gut feeling, but if anyone has a suggestion, feel free to suggest.

cricket 03-10-21 07:39 PM

My question was also going to be about foreign made silents. I feel like they should be eligible but I have no explanation for that feeling.

gbgoodies 03-11-21 02:01 AM

@Thursday Next,

If a movie is available in both subtitled and dubbed versions, is it safe to assume that only the subtitled version is eligible because the dubbed version would not be considered a foreign language?

pahaK 03-11-21 12:34 PM

I wish more people would comment on the eligibility of (mostly Italian, I guess) films that were dubbed to multiple languages (including English) during the production.

Also, another eligibility issue raised its head on the recommendation thread. Stuff like War and Peace that were released as separate films but are single-story, and are filmed and produced in one go. In the previous countdown, The Lord of the Rings was considered as three separate films but is this different? And if it is, how? Berlin Alexanderplatz was also mentioned, but to me, that's much more clearly a television series than a movie.

Yoda 03-11-21 12:36 PM

My personal feeling is the Leone Westerns are not foreign-language, since the dubbing is done by the actors themselves, who natively spoke English and all that, but I'm open to being persuaded.

pahaK 03-11-21 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2185863)
My personal feeling is the Leone Westerns are not foreign-language, since the dubbing is done by the actors themselves, who natively spoke English and all that, but I'm open to being persuaded.
But that's true for only some of the actors. In Leone's films, the English-speaking actors probably had the majority of the dialogue, so I can definitely see the point. My biggest concern is that we may end up removing a large part of Italian films of that era due to the dubbing issue.

I still haven't made up my opinion on this, but whatever the decision is, it'll affect my list quite heavily. That's why I'm interested in this so much.

Yoda 03-11-21 12:53 PM

I think if we make the criteria "any of the actors" we cause far more counterintuitive problems the other way, where we have to ask ourselves if the presence of anyone speaking a foreign language qualifies. I think intent matters, and Leone's films were intended to be made "in English" for English-speaking audiences. The dubbing was planned, if I'm not mistaken, rather than some post-hoc thing to make it saleable in another territory.

Obviously you'll be able to object to some part of any criteria, I just think this is the least objectionable.

DocHoliday 03-11-21 12:59 PM

Good stuff. I shall submit.

Citizen Rules 03-11-21 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by pahaK (Post 2185861)
I wish more people would comment on the eligibility of (mostly Italian, I guess) films that were dubbed to multiple languages (including English) during the production.
OK I will comment: I'd hate to see films that were released in English but also Italian be included, such as The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Do we really want that film with American English speaking stars to place #1 on a Foreign Language countdown? I don't, as it seems counter productive to making a good solid countdown list.

Citizen Rules 03-11-21 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by pahaK (Post 2185868)
But that's true for only some of the actors. In Leone's films, the English-speaking actors probably had the majority of the dialogue, so I can definitely see the point. My biggest concern is that we may end up removing a large part of Italian films of that era due to the dubbing issue....
Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2185872)
I think if we make the criteria "any of the actors" we cause far more counterintuitive problems the other way, where we have to ask ourselves if the presence of anyone speaking a foreign language qualifies. I think intent matters, and Leone's films were intended to be made "in English" for English-speaking audiences. The dubbing was planned, if I'm not mistaken, rather than some post-hoc thing to make it saleable in another territory...
Yoda said that well. So basically that would mean Leone Westerns out, most all other Italian part dubbed films in. Which makes sense as even Fellini's La Strada had the lead actor dubbed, but it was originally an Italian language release.

Thursday already spoke about this and said The Leopard was in, which makes sense.

Thursday Next 03-11-21 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2185876)
OK I will comment: I'd hate to see films that were released in English but also Italian be included, such as The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Do we really want that film with American English speaking stars to place #1 on a Foreign Language countdown? I don't, as it seems counter productive to making a good solid countdown list.
I concur with this, The Good the Bad and the Ugly has no place on a foreign language countdown. There are more contentious cases, though, so the question is trying to find more of a hard and fast rule, if possible. I think any rule may have to be qualified with things like 'mostly'.

Thursday Next 03-11-21 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 2185748)
@Thursday Next,

If a movie is available in both subtitled and dubbed versions, is it safe to assume that only the subtitled version is eligible because the dubbed version would not be considered a foreign language?
I think we would go with original primary language - for example, even though some Japanese animated films would have had an English dub at release, they would still be eligible.

If people have chosen to watch a film in a dubbed version rather than a subtitled version that is up to them and not really something we can legislate for.

I realise there are a lot of contradictions around dubbing, but we're probably going to have to have a best fit approach.

Thursday Next 03-11-21 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by pahaK (Post 2185861)
Also, another eligibility issue raised its head on the recommendation thread. Stuff like War and Peace that were released as separate films but are single-story, and are filmed and produced in one go. In the previous countdown, The Lord of the Rings was considered as three separate films but is this different? And if it is, how? Berlin Alexanderplatz was also mentioned, but to me, that's much more clearly a television series than a movie.
War and Peace appears to be listed as a film on imdb so I'm happy for it to be nominated as such, unless anyone has any objections.

Berlin Alexanderplatz certainly seems to be a tv series and therefore not eligible, but if anybody has additional information to suggest that it should be eligible I'm happy to listen to the case.

Thursday Next 03-11-21 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by pahaK (Post 2185868)
But that's true for only some of the actors. In Leone's films, the English-speaking actors probably had the majority of the dialogue, so I can definitely see the point. My biggest concern is that we may end up removing a large part of Italian films of that era due to the dubbing issue.

I still haven't made up my opinion on this, but whatever the decision is, it'll affect my list quite heavily. That's why I'm interested in this so much.
I certainly don't want to rule out Italian films just because they are dubbed, so I would suggest that Italian films that are mostly available in or best known in an Italian dub are eligible, while films like TGTBATU which are mostly available and known in an English version are not, if that is a distinction which makes sense to everyone else.

Thursday Next 03-11-21 05:08 PM

This is my fifth post in a row, but we have our first list! Exciting times. No rush though, plenty of time to watch more movies.

Wyldesyde19 03-11-21 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Thursday Next (Post 2185933)
This is my fifth post in a row, but we have our first list! Exciting times. No rush though, plenty of time to watch more movies.
Stop monopolizing this thread! Sheesh. Who does she think she is? Just because she’s the host and all.....

Yoda 03-11-21 06:26 PM

Well, it is Thursday, so she gets a pass on everything.

jiraffejustin 03-11-21 06:38 PM

The Human Condition trilogy: One film or three? For anybody else who might vote for it, if it is ruled as three separate films for the purpose of voting, we should pick one of the three and all vote for that film to represent the trilogy, yeah?

Wyldesyde19 03-11-21 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 2185960)
The Human Condition trilogy: One film or three? For anybody else who might vote for it, if it is ruled as three separate films for the purpose of voting, we should pick one of the three and all vote for that film to represent the trilogy, yeah?
Three. Trilogies, when presented separately, are always counted as such in my opinion.

Wyldesyde19 03-11-21 06:56 PM

And all three should be eligible. I see no reason why they shouldn’t be.

Wyldesyde19 03-11-21 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2185958)
Well, it is Thursday, so she gets a pass on everything.
Curses. I can not argue with this logic....

GulfportDoc 03-11-21 08:13 PM

Was it ever decided if the film lists would be the English translation, or in the native language? Asian or Russian film titles would be pretty obscure in their native fonts.

Yoda 03-11-21 09:01 PM

I think presentation is still being determined, but just as one person, I think presenting both is not only informative/useful, but could play into the style of the presentation in some interesting ways, too.

rauldc14 03-11-21 09:10 PM

Haven't seen it yet, but it sounds like it may be worthy of three spots anyways.

Loner 03-11-21 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Minio (Post 2185574)
Great. 3 months to find a film with the wildest title for my one-pointer.

https://i.imgur.com/9aEDKYP.png
That thought goes through my head on every list. I never follow through with it.

seanc 03-11-21 10:41 PM

I will absolutely do this. It belongs and I was considering not voting for it because of not knowing what one to pick.

Mr Minio 03-12-21 02:39 AM

The Third One aka The Best One, obviously.

pahaK 03-12-21 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Thursday Next (Post 2185929)
War and Peace appears to be listed as a film on imdb so I'm happy for it to be nominated as such, unless anyone has any objections.
My question was more about if it's a movie or four movies. It was released in four parts between 66 and 67, but then again it won an Oscar as a whole (because of this, I guess it's hard to argue it shouldn't count as one but I still wonder how it differs from The Lord of the Rings but that isn't a question for you to answer).

I think @Yoda 's idea of intent (or the dubs being made as part of the production instead of by the foreign distributor) sounds like a reasonable way to handle the language issue. I think it drops at least a few Argento films like Suspiria off the list but what can you do. Sadly Wikipedia doesn't have as much info about Fulci's films, but I'll try Google something before bringing them up for review.

Powdered Water 03-12-21 04:52 AM

Does Apocalypto qualify as a foreign language film?

rauldc14 03-12-21 07:39 AM

Miyazaki wins!

Holden Pike 03-12-21 10:06 AM

My ballot is in. Le Boom.

Hey Fredrick 03-12-21 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Powdered Water (Post 2186066)
I would think so. Why wouldn't it?

Thursday Next 03-12-21 01:42 PM

I believe it has been previously counted as three separate films so let's stick with that. Vote for the one you like best or all three, that's up to you.

Thursday Next 03-12-21 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Powdered Water (Post 2186066)
Sure, if it's mostly not in English.

Thursday Next 03-12-21 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by pahaK (Post 2186064)
My question was more about if it's a movie or four movies. It was released in four parts between 66 and 67, but then again it won an Oscar as a whole (because of this, I guess it's hard to argue it shouldn't count as one but I still wonder how it differs from The Lord of the Rings but that isn't a question for you to answer).
And my answer was about counting it as one movie, sorry if that wasn't clear. It won awards as a whole, it's listed on imdb as a single entry, so yeah, one very long movie.

Fortunately, The Lord of the Rings trilogy is not eligible for this countdown so I don't have to worry too much about it, but as that has three separate imdb entries and won the Oscar for just one of its parts, I guess it is different.

pahaK 03-12-21 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Thursday Next (Post 2186179)
And my answer was about counting it as one movie, sorry if that wasn't clear. It won awards as a whole, it's listed on imdb as a single entry, so yeah, one very long movie.
One entry it is then, and I'm in agreement.

P.S. Just for the sake of it, War and Peace is also four movies in IMDb (Part I, Part II, Part III, and Part IV) :D

ScarletLion 03-15-21 10:26 AM

Excellent, stuff.

So are films like Nosferatu and Vampyr ineligible?

Thursday Next 03-15-21 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 2186970)
Excellent, stuff.

So are films like Nosferatu and Vampyr ineligible?
My thinking is that if they originally had intertitles in a language other than English then they should be eligible. I haven't had much input on that so if anyone has any opinions on the eligibility of foreign silents, speak now!

Skepsis93 03-15-21 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Thursday Next (Post 2186985)
I haven't had much input on that so if anyone has any opinions on the eligibility of foreign silents, speak now!
100% need to be included IMO

pahaK 03-15-21 12:36 PM

I think Vampyr is at least debatable. If we go with the intention, then it shouldn't count IMO. From Wiki:

Dreyer originally wanted Vampyr to be a silent film, as it uses many elements of the silent era such as title cards to explain the story.[11][14] Dialogue in the film was kept to a minimum.[11] For the scenes with dialogue, the actors mouthed their lines in French, German and English so their lip movements would correspond to the voices that were going to be recorded in post-production.[14] There is no record of the English version being completed.
Then again, it's unclear if the English version was completed, but it certainly was intended as part of the production.

Wyldesyde19 03-15-21 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by pahaK (Post 2187040)
I think Vampyr is at least debatable. If we go with the intention, then it shouldn't count IMO. From Wiki:

Then again, it's unclear if the English version was completed, but it certainly was intended as part of the production.
I’m not sure why intention matters. The final result is it was released in a foreign language, so that shouldn’t make it debatable.

pahaK 03-15-21 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2187051)
I’m not sure why intention matters. The final result is it was released in a foreign language, so that shouldn’t make it debatable.
It was the word that popped in earlier discussions about Leone.

To clarify, I do think Vampyr should be eligible. By debatable, I meant that there exists an argument against it (it may not be strong as it seems to be far from certain if the English version was actually released, but it does exist). Most importantly, I'm not arguing against its eligibility.

Wyldesyde19 03-15-21 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by pahaK (Post 2187338)
It was the word that popped in earlier discussions about Leone.

To clarify, I do think Vampyr should be eligible. By debatable, I meant that there exists an argument against it (it may not be strong as it seems to be far from certain if the English version was actually released, but it does exist). Most importantly, I'm not arguing against its eligibility.
Ah I see. Thanks for clarifying.

matt72582 03-16-21 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Holden Pike (Post 2186099)
My ballot is in. Le Boom.

Not "Il Boom"? Vittorio De Sica, starring Alberto Sordi :)

matt72582 03-26-21 01:13 PM

Might want to move this out of the "General" category...

Thursday Next 03-27-21 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 2190372)
Might want to move this out of the "General" category...
Why?

It isn't a review, a question or about an upcoming movie so general movie discussion seemed to fit best.

matt72582 03-27-21 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Thursday Next (Post 2190567)
Why?

It isn't a review, a question or about an upcoming movie so general movie discussion seemed to fit best.
It was just moved to "Reviews"?

I thought "Upcoming Tournaments" would have been the place.

Yoda 03-27-21 10:43 AM

We've always put these in Movie Reviews, probably because most of the discussion ends up feeling like that, but it might have been initially arbitrary and just unexamined custom after that. I'm open to changing that. I suppose it makes slightly more sense in General?

Lemme know if you guys have strong thoughts either way.

Chypmunk 03-27-21 10:48 AM

I say leave it right where it is.

Allaby 03-27-21 10:52 AM

Yeah, I think it is fine where it is.

matt72582 04-03-21 09:40 AM

Just an FYI, make sure you select the correct versions.. I saw "The Battle of Algiers" from 1969 (but it's not THE Battle of Algiers, which is 1966)

matt72582 04-03-21 09:58 AM

List sent.

gbgoodies 04-08-21 01:58 AM

@Thursday Next, @Takoma11 recommended this movie to me in my recommendations request thread.

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2184443)
Polytechnique--a fictionalized account of a massacre that took place in Montreal in 1989 in which a student, angry at women in general, went after several of his female classmates. While some of the film does show the actual event, much of the focus is on what came before and after, and it is a very empathetic look at the impact on all of the students, including one male student who is a witness to the events.
I found the movie on Tubi, but it's in English, not French. Is it eligible for the countdown, or do I have to find the French version?

WorkersPeasants 04-10-21 10:09 PM

The ballot link isnt working for me for some reason. Clicking the link opens a new tab with a "/ballot" at the end of movieforums address, but the page is totally blank (like it never loads anything)

Citizen Rules 04-10-21 10:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Originally Posted by WorkersPeasants (Post 2194366)
The ballot link isnt working for me for some reason. Clicking the link opens a new tab with a "/ballot" at the end of movieforums address, but the page is totally blank (like it never loads anything)
Are you using an Adblocker? I just checked the link and it worked for me. This is what I see when I click the link.

Yoda 04-10-21 10:52 PM

@WorkersPeasants I assume you're on a mobile device. You'll need to fill out the ballot on a desktop computer; it's a brand new feature and quasi-experimental, so a mobile version is forthcoming the next time we do this, if this one goes well. Sorry for the confusion.

gbgoodies 04-11-21 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 2193712)
@Thursday Next, @Takoma11 recommended this movie to me in my recommendations request thread.

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2184443)
Polytechnique--a fictionalized account of a massacre that took place in Montreal in 1989 in which a student, angry at women in general, went after several of his female classmates. While some of the film does show the actual event, much of the focus is on what came before and after, and it is a very empathetic look at the impact on all of the students, including one male student who is a witness to the events.

I found the movie Polytechnique (2009) on Tubi, but it's in English, not French. Is it eligible for the countdown, or do I have to find the French version?

Also, I have the same question for the movie Kon-Tiki (2012). Is the English version eligible, or do I have to find the Norwegian version?

resopamenic 04-11-21 02:53 AM

bye bye ken loach.

Thursday Next 04-14-21 12:10 PM

I found the movie on Tubi, but it's in English, not French. Is it eligible for the countdown, or do I have to find the French version?
I'm not familiar with the movie but imdb has the language listed as French, which would make it eligible.

I can't (and wouldn't want to) police whether people are watching dubbed versions (same goes for anime films, for example), so that would be entirely up to you. :)

Thursday Next 04-14-21 12:32 PM

We now have 10 lists submitted with just under 2 months to go. There have been 198 films nominated in total so far. The current top 3 films are all on 4 ballots each. There are 30 films which have 25 points or more and are on more than one list.

gbgoodies 04-16-21 01:13 AM

@Thursday Next,

Originally Posted by Takoma11
Originally Posted by Thursday Next (Post 2195248)
I'm not familiar with the movie but imdb has the language listed as French, which would make it eligible.

I can't (and wouldn't want to) police whether people are watching dubbed versions (same goes for anime films, for example), so that would be entirely up to you. :)

According to the Trivia page on IMDB for Polytechnique, the movie was "Filmed simultaneously in English and French.".

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 2194409)
Also, I have the same question for the movie Kon-Tiki (2012). Is the English version eligible, or do I have to find the Norwegian version?

And according to the Trivia page for Kon-Tiki (2012), "Large parts of the film were filmed in two versions at the same time, one in Norwegian, the other in English, in order to secure international funding.".

If it's not a problem, I'll just watch the English versions, but I just want to make sure that these facts don't change your answer because these movies were NOT dubbed. Both movies were filmed in English, at the same time as a foreign language.

Thursday Next 04-16-21 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 2195683)
@Thursday Next,

According to the Trivia page on IMDB for Polytechnique, the movie was "Filmed simultaneously in English and French.".

And according to the Trivia page for Kon-Tiki (2012), "Large parts of the film were filmed in two versions at the same time, one in Norwegian, the other in English, in order to secure international funding.".

If it's not a problem, I'll just watch the English versions, but I just want to make sure that these facts don't change your answer because these movies were NOT dubbed. Both movies were filmed in English, at the same time as a foreign language.

That is an interesting and unusual case! I think if they were filmed and released as foreign language movies, they are eligible. If people choose to watch the English versions and then vote for them, that is up to them.

John-Connor 04-16-21 06:46 AM

Eligibility questions;

Jean de Florette & Manon Des Sources as one entry on a ballot?
https://media.s-bol.com/mqOQ0VwqV45p/550x751.jpg

Arctic?
''Arctic is a 2018 Icelandic survival drama film directed by Joe Penna and written by Penna and Ryan Morrison. The film is an international co-production between Iceland and the United States, and stars Mads Mikkelsen..''
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_(film)

Diehl40 04-22-21 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2195706)
Eligibility questions;

Jean de Florette & Manon Des Sources as one entry on a ballot?
https://media.s-bol.com/mqOQ0VwqV45p/550x751.jpg

Arctic?
''Arctic is a 2018 Icelandic survival drama film directed by Joe Penna and written by Penna and Ryan Morrison. The film is an international co-production between Iceland and the United States, and stars Mads Mikkelsen..''
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_(film)

I'd also be interested in the answer to the question about Jean de Florretta

mark f 04-22-21 04:24 PM

Jean de Florette & Manon Des Sources should be two separate entries.

Diehl40 04-23-21 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by mark f (Post 2197463)
Jean de Florette & Manon Des Sources should be two separate entries.

I counted them as two movies

neiba 04-23-21 07:18 PM

I think the good, the bad and the ugly and any Leone western should count as foreign. They were made by italians, in spain with german money. The fact that they used one or two stars from America shouldn't be that important. And they dubbed them in italian, spanish and english. But I might be alone on this.

Chypmunk 04-24-21 05:30 AM

I'd have no problem with them being included.

Kaplan 04-25-21 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by neiba (Post 2197817)
I think the good, the bad and the ugly and any Leone western should count as foreign. They were made by italians, in spain with german money. The fact that they used one or two stars from America shouldn't be that important. And they dubbed them in italian, spanish and english. But I might be alone on this.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly was my #1 film of the 60s, but I won't be including it on this list even if it became eligible, and I don't think it should be, if we're compiling a list of "foreign language" films. The three main leads are all speaking their own lines in English. And it's the same situation with Once Upon a Time, which is the only other Leone western that could get enough votes to matter.

Thursday Next 04-27-21 07:39 AM

Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources count as two separate films.

I really don't think The Good the Bad and the Ugly should be eligible for the reasons Kaplan has outlined above.

TheUsualSuspect 04-27-21 09:22 AM

So who's voting for Passion of the Christ?

resopamenic 04-27-21 10:42 AM

So how about them nigerian movies
https://youtu.be/52roqup9cm0

Harry Lime 04-27-21 09:12 PM

Okay I'm in. List submitted! This is a great idea for a countdown. Thanks for running it, Thursday.

And thanks Yoda for the new, very cool list-submission tool. It makes it almost too easy.

nidral 04-28-21 11:35 AM

I've also submitted my list :up:
Maybe I've sent it too early, but I don't intend changing my list I've sent .

Yoda 05-05-21 11:46 AM

Bump! Still plenty of time to cram. I'll be doing a lot of that over the next few weeks.

Anyone wanna suggest a moderately accessible Shortest of Short Lists for myself and others to prioritize?

ScarletLion 05-05-21 11:57 AM

I'd say cram in some unwatched material from:

Fritz Lang
Kieslowski
Tarkovsky
Wong Kar Wai
Truffaut
Malle
Ozu
Mizugochi
Ceylan
Maybe a bit of Italian classic cinema from Rosselini / de Sica / Fellini
Kurosawa
Other French new wave like Varda / Goddard
Some Iranian like Kiarostami and Makmalbhaf
Pawel Pawlikowski

John-Connor 05-05-21 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2201470)
Bump! Still plenty of time to cram. I'll be doing a lot of that over the next few weeks.

Anyone wanna suggest a moderately accessible Shortest of Short Lists for myself and others to prioritize?
How short, 50 titles? I made a top 100 list in random order here on mofo a while back, I can change it to public if you like.

Yoda 05-05-21 12:01 PM

Well, if you rank them it can be any length since somebody can start from the top. But 50 is asking a lot for one month. :laugh:

rauldc14 05-05-21 12:06 PM

Letter Never Sent
Sansho the Bailiff
Cranes are Flying

Guaporense 05-06-21 04:59 PM

Of my top 100 favorites, I think the majority are foreign language. And they are mostly entertaining and accessible films. I think an issue many english speakers have in getting into non-english language movies is that most non-english movies that critics and film buffs are into tend to be "challenging" movies like Kiarostami's. Instead, there exist foreign language movies that are the entertainment equivalent to Spielberg's, Cameron's and George Lucas' films.

Everybody should watch Ghibli films as they are very accessible, family-friendly and entertaining.

Diehl40 05-08-21 07:59 PM

From BBC Culture

100. Landscape in the Mist (Theo Angelopoulos, 1988)
99. Ashes and Diamonds (Andrzej Wajda, 1958)
98. In the Heat of the Sun (Jiang Wen, 1994)
97. Taste of Cherry (Abbas Kiarostami, 1997)
96. Shoah (Claude Lanzmann, 1985)
95. Floating Clouds (Mikio Naruse, 1955)
94. Where Is the Friend's Home? (Abbas Kiarostami, 1987)
93. Raise the Red Lantern (Zhang Yimou, 1991)
X92. Scenes from a Marriage (Ingmar Bergman, 1973)
91. Rififi (Jules Dassin, 1955)
90. Hiroshima Mon Amour (Alain Resnais, 1959)
89. Wild Strawberries (Ingmar Bergman, 1957)
88. The Story of the Last Chrysanthemum (Kenji Mizoguchi, 1939)
X87. The Nights of Cabiria (Federico Fellini, 1957)
86. La Jetée (Chris Marker, 1962)
85. Umberto D (Vittorio de Sica, 1952)
84. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (Luis Buñuel, 1972)
X83. La Strada (Federico Fellini, 1954)
X82. Amélie (Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 2001)
81. Celine and Julie go Boating (Jacques Rivette, 1974)
80. The Young and the Damned (Luis Buñuel, 1950)
79. Ran (Akira Kurosawa, 1985)
78. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Ang Lee, 2000)
77. The Conformist (Bernardo Bertolucci, 1970)
76. Y Tu Mamá También (Alfonso Cuarón, 2001)
X75. Belle de Jour (Luis Buñuel, 1967)
74. Pierrot Le Fou (Jean-Luc Godard, 1965)
73. Man with a Movie Camera (Dziga Vertov, 1929)
72. Ikiru (Akira Kurosawa, 1952)
71. Happy Together (Wong Kar-wai, 1997)
70. L’Eclisse (Michelangelo Antonioni, 1962)
69. Amour (Michael Haneke, 2012)
68. Ugetsu (Kenji Mizoguchi, 1953)
67. The Exterminating Angel (Luis Buñuel, 1962)
66. Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1973)
X65. Ordet (Carl Theodor Dreyer, 1955)
64. Three Colours: Blue (Krzysztof Kieślowski, 1993)
63. Spring in a Small Town (Fei Mu, 1948)
62. Touki Bouki (Djibril Diop Mambéty, 1973)
61. Sansho the Bailiff (Kenji Mizoguchi, 1954)
X60. Contempt (Jean-Luc Godard, 1963)
59. Come and See (Elem Klimov, 1985)
58. The Earrings of Madame de… (Max Ophüls, 1953)
57. Solaris (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1972)
56. Chungking Express (Wong Kar-wai, 1994)
55. Jules and Jim (François Truffaut, 1962)
54. Eat Drink Man Woman (Ang Lee, 1994)
53. Late Spring (Yasujirô Ozu, 1949)
52. Au Hasard Balthazar (Robert Bresson, 1966)
51. The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (Jacques Demy, 1964)
50. L’Atalante (Jean Vigo, 1934)
49. Stalker (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1979)
48. Viridiana (Luis Buñuel, 1961)
47. 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (Cristian Mungiu, 2007)
46. Children of Paradise (Marcel Carné, 1945)
45. L’Avventura (Michelangelo Antonioni, 1960)
44. Cleo from 5 to 7 (Agnès Varda, 1962)
43. Beau Travail (Claire Denis, 1999)
42. City of God (Fernando Meirelles, Kátia Lund, 2002)
41. To Live (Zhang Yimou, 1994)
40. Andrei Rublev (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1966)
39. Close-Up (Abbas Kiarostami, 1990)
38. A Brighter Summer Day (Edward Yang, 1991)
37. Spirited Away (Hayao Miyazaki, 2001)
36. La Grande Illusion (Jean Renoir, 1937)
35. The Leopard (Luchino Visconti, 1963)
X34. Wings of Desire (Wim Wenders, 1987)
33. Playtime (Jacques Tati, 1967)
32. All About My Mother (Pedro Almodóvar, 1999)
X31. The Lives of Others (Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, 2006)
X30. The Seventh Seal (Ingmar Bergman, 1957)
29. Oldboy (Park Chan-wook, 2003)
28. Fanny and Alexander (Ingmar Bergman, 1982)
27. The Spirit of the Beehive (Victor Erice, 1973)
X26. Cinema Paradiso (Giuseppe Tornatore, 1988)
25. Yi Yi (Edward Yang, 2000)
X24. Battleship Potemkin (Sergei M Eisenstein, 1925)
23. The Passion of Joan of Arc (Carl Theodor Dreyer, 1928)
X22. Pan’s Labyrinth (Guillermo del Toro, 2006)
21. A Separation (Asghar Farhadi, 2011)
20. The Mirror (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1974)
19. The Battle of Algiers (Gillo Pontecorvo, 1966)
18. A City of Sadness (Hou Hsiao-hsien, 1989)
17. Aguirre, the Wrath of God (Werner Herzog, 1972)
X16. Metropolis (Fritz Lang, 1927)
15. Pather Panchali (Satyajit Ray, 1955)
14. Jeanne Dielman, 23 Commerce Quay, 1080 Brussels (Chantal Akerman, 1975)
X13. M (Fritz Lang, 1931)
12. Farewell My Concubine (Chen Kaige, 1993)
X11. Breathless (Jean-Luc Godard, 1960)
X10. La Dolce Vita (Federico Fellini, 1960)
9. In the Mood for Love (Wong Kar-wai, 2000)
8. The 400 Blows (François Truffaut, 1959)
X7. 8 1/2 (Federico Fellini, 1963)
X6. Persona (Ingmar Bergman, 1966)
X5. The Rules of the Game (Jean Renoir, 1939)
4. Rashomon (Akira Kurosawa, 1950)
3. Tokyo Story (Yasujirô Ozu, 1953)
X2. Bicycle Thieves (Vittorio de Sica, 1948)
1. Seven Samurai (Akira Kurosawa, 1954)