Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Intermission: Miscellaneous Chat (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   What Were You Like In High School? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=58464)

Nostromo87 12-29-18 03:47 PM

What Were You Like In High School?

1 Attachment(s)
Hai. Nosromto78 here.

What Were You Like In High School?

Wonder if anyone will have the guts to answer (somewhat) honestly.

Nostromo87 12-29-18 03:47 PM

Nostromo87 12-29-18 03:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Nostromo87 12-29-18 03:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Nostromo87 12-29-18 03:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Swan 12-29-18 03:51 PM

Quiet, isolated and shy to a problematic level. In my head all the time. Always wore horror shirts (Alien, Army of Darkness, Nosferatu and The Birds were my go-to's).

Swan 12-29-18 03:53 PM

Re: What Were You Like In High School?

Forgot my Killer Klowns from Outer Space shirt, which I wore constantly too. Might be forgetting a few more. There were some regulars.

Nostromo87 12-29-18 04:10 PM

Thinking back, I had lots of various pursuits. The one that was my favorite- playing Lacrosse. Did that as a Senior, and it was the most fun. Played baseball and basketball in 9th and 10th grade. Only got into movies towards the end of high school.

Also, I've always loved drawing. Still do. Did that all throughout school.

mark f 12-29-18 04:13 PM

The same as I am now except less underachieving and wise. Still was antisocial but amazingly surrounded by friends. Oh yeah - I moved a lot more.

Nostromo87 12-29-18 04:16 PM

There could be many different ways to answer this question.

Nostromo87 12-29-18 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by mark f (Post 1977572)
The same as I am now except less underachieving and wise. Still was antisocial but amazingly surrounded by friends. Oh yeah - I moved a lot more.
How many times did you have to move?

I moved to a different city too, but that was before high school.

mark f 12-29-18 04:48 PM

"Moved" meant I wasn't bedridden. :)

Nostromo87 12-29-18 05:25 PM

:facepalm: 👍

People may not wanna share, which is cool. Although considering how long we've been typing to each other, seems pretty ordinary.

Captain Steel 12-29-18 05:56 PM

Afraid.

Citizen Rules 12-29-18 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Nostromo87 (Post 1977592)
:facepalm: 👍

People may not wanna share, which is cool. Although considering how long we've been typing to each other, seems pretty ordinary.
I can share:p...I've thought about this before too, as the question often comes up: which character were you in a teen movie? I've yet to find a teen movie character that totally fits me, but just combine Michael J. Fox and Matthew Broderick from any of their early teen movies and that's about who I was in high school.

ynwtf 12-29-18 06:31 PM

I was a skinny, long-haired, semi metal head, wannabe skater, band kid. I could make all the kids laugh but because I hated country music, had long hair, and generally danced between one social group to another, a few of the alpha jock types kinda hated me.

Loved to draw and play music (actual instruments). Through college kinda thought I'd be working special effects in movies or even directing as an adult, but was too lazy and scatter brained to focus.

Nostromo87 12-29-18 06:32 PM

Guess What Other MoFo's Were Like In High School. That could be funnier.

cat_sidhe 12-29-18 06:32 PM

I was the class clown who took out bullies on behalf of the nerds and outcasts. Used to put on school plays, too. An entertainer with balls.

Captain Steel 12-29-18 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1977597)
I can share:p...I've thought about this before too, as the question often comes up: which character were you in a teen movie? I've yet to find a teen movie character that totally fits me, but just combine Michael J. Fox and Matthew Broderick from any of their early teen movies and that's about who I was in high school.
As to who reminded me of myself in a movie... Anthony Michael Hall's character as the Geek in Sixteen Candles (I was silly, nerdy and dorky, but still, fresh breath was a first priority!)

By senior year I was less afraid (of the school bullies and such, by then I was afraid of college which, believe me, was no irrational fear!) ;)

pahaK 12-29-18 06:48 PM

At least when I was in high school it was very different from American movies. In here we had no such a strict adherence to narrow social groups and vast majority of people got along with practically everyone.

I was above average student, semi metal head (never played any instrument though), gore hound, computer geek, read a lot and player role playing games. Despite of all this I played floorball with full on athletes, hanged with band people, lifted weights, etc. To me the social structure of American high school movies seems totally weird and I can't put any people I knew back then into that tight roles.

Miss Vicky 12-29-18 06:54 PM

Pretty similar to how I am now, except at the time I had no idea who Joaquin Phoenix or Russell Crowe were (Quills and Gladiator came out the year after I graduated) and I didn't have any rats yet. I was introverted and bitchy. Obsessed with Fleetwood Mac and Tom Petty. I mostly wore jeans and black t-shirts with bands like Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, The Doors, The Beatles, and Lynyrd Skynyrd on them. I spent my lunch money on CDs instead of food. I wrote short stories. I hung out with a bunch of gay people, band geeks, and other assorted social rejects. I procrastinated a lot and got bad grades. I was not popular at all and was the victim of nasty rumors (Depending on who you asked, I was either a gothic, devil-worshipping lesbian or a gothic devil-worshipping slut who was sleeping with every male friend I had). :rolleyes:

My 20th reunion is coming up next year and I definitely will not be going. They can suck it.

Captain Steel 12-29-18 06:56 PM

Did anyone else have the experience that Senior year (or at least the second half) was kind of a joke?

Like, it was mostly just hanging out and preparing for graduation or teachers putting a lot of focus on getting into a college as opposed to sticking to a lesson plan? (Very little in regards to homework, or being lectured about tardiness, or given detention if found outside or in the hall without a pass.)

We kind of had the run of the school and there was a more relaxed attitude towards discipline regarding minor stuff (like the teachers figured: "This group will be out of our hair for good in a few months, let's focus on getting the lower grades in line.")?

By Senior year, I was in good with my art teachers (I won one of the art awards at graduation as well as the creative writing award) so I remember Senior year consisting mostly of going out to lunch with friends who could drive, and hanging out in the art room, sometimes with the art teachers, even when we were supposed to be in other classes!

cat_sidhe 12-29-18 07:00 PM

Oh LORDT, the debacle when I decided to take wood shop as a subject. It was unheard of for a girl to do that. Once I did, another girl followed suit and that upset the powers that be, AND most of the boys.

ynwtf 12-29-18 07:03 PM

Yeah, senior year was pretty laid back here too. I was able to be a teaching assistant for 4th period so I chose my band director. She held beginner band for 5th and 6th graders. Most days I just had to walk the kids to and from the bandroom. Half the time three or four of the kids would try to ambush me into some weird wrestling match. Granted I was twice their sizes but every so often I'd catch a rogue knee to the face or groin.

Was fun. And my crush's lil brother was in that group so I always tried to give him favors to help him look cool with his friends thinking it might pay off for me with his older sis. Never worked though.

pahaK 12-29-18 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by cat_sidhe (Post 1977615)
Oh LORDT, the debacle when I decided to take wood shop as a subject. It was unheard of for a girl to do that. Once I did, another girl followed suit and that upset the powers that be, AND most of the boys.
Really? When I was in elementary school I think wood shop and textile(?) started on 3rd grade and on first year everyone did half a year each and then decided which they wanted to continue. We had girls in wood shop every year in elementary school and junior high (I don't remember if there were boys in textile though).

cat_sidhe 12-29-18 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by pahaK (Post 1977619)

Really? When I was in elementary school I think wood shop and textile(?) started on 3rd grade and on first year everyone did half a year each and then decided which they wanted to continue. We had girls in wood shop every year in elementary school and junior high (I don't remember if there were boys in textile though).
Different continents

Captain Steel 12-29-18 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jase (Post 1977616)
September 11th, 2001 happened when I was a senior in high school.

I was in art class when the principal came on the intercom and announced that a plane flew into the World Trade Center. I then went to my journalism class (newspaper) and we watched the events unfold on a television. @Steve was there.
You're reminding me how old I am!
The WTC didn't even exist when I started Kindergarten! At that time, the Empire State Building was the tallest in the world!
I remember in grade school, seeing a "Weekly Reader" showing these two towers under construction!
I was a Construction Safety Coordinator at a Pharmaceutical site on 9/11/01! :(

pahaK 12-29-18 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by cat_sidhe (Post 1977622)
Different continents
Oh, didn't know that. I guess that'll explain it :D

Captain Steel 12-29-18 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by cat_sidhe (Post 1977615)
Just for comparison: I was in the first year that my grammar school started integrating the genders (before that, only boys took wood shop and girls took home-economics).

Don't remember the exact year (sometime between 1974 - 1978).
Of course, there was a lot of scoffing on both sides as the girls infiltrated the Wood Shop and the boys first set food in the "Home-Ec" room. There were even some parents at the time who opposed the move, but it all blew over rather quickly.
I did learn how to sew in Home-Ec (both with needle & thread and with a sewing machine) - a skill set I have long since forgotten!

Nostromo87 12-29-18 07:21 PM

There were some metalheads at mine, they got furious when their original song performance lost in The Battle Of The Bands to some basketball players who lip-synced, air-guitarred, and air-drummed to a recording from 80s band "The Outfield." Those metalheads were like the @pahaK of my school. They probably should have won. Definitely feel like pahaK is the Horror MVP so far btw, with all his write-ups in his "Movie Diary 2018 by pahaK" thread.

Loner 12-29-18 07:22 PM

I was the Judd Nelson character in The Breakfast Club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTeYncx1xmI
Only I got five days of Saturday School (detention) in six weeks.

pahaK 12-29-18 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1977628)
Just for comparison: I was in the first year that my grammar school started integrating the genders (before that, only boys took wood shop and girls took home-economics).
We had home economics too but it was only on junior high and wasn't related to wood shop / textile pairing in any ways. I think it was mandatory for everyone and consisted mostly of cooking.

cat_sidhe 12-29-18 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1977628)

Don't remember the exact year (sometime between 1974 - 1978).
Of course, there was a lot of scoffing on both sides as the girls infiltrated the Wood Shop and the boys first set food in the "Home-Ec" room. There were even some parents at the time who opposed the move, but it all blew over rather quickly.
I did learn how to sew in Home-Ec (both with needle & thread and with a sewing machine) - a skill set I have long since forgotten!
Yeah, we'd have been behind ideologically as far wood shop/home economics was. I just took one class and thought it the dumbest class ever, so I asked to switch, not finding any official rule that said no.

One boy took home ec after I switched and the other girl followed. 😅 Totally messed up their gender comfort zone....

ynwtf 12-29-18 07:56 PM

8th grade home economics one semester and wood shop the next. Mandatory. Our shop teacher was missing 3 fingers. We built a "magazine rack" which excited me because I was all about taking things apart and measuring and obsessing. I thought we were making a real wall mount rack. Turned out to just be a wooden basket that was more like a box with a cross beam for a handle. .5" MDF board pos. Weighed too much to bother carrying it home on the bus and looked dumb for the time it took to build.

I guess we learned to make cookies and wash dishes in HomeEc. One kid drank all our vanilla extract though.

cat_sidhe 12-29-18 08:09 PM

Ok, question. Guys who took home ec, was your first lesson "how to clean a cupboard"?

That what made me switch. My parents made me do chores. I was WAY beyond cleaning cupboards.

Nostromo87 12-29-18 08:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Originally Posted by Jase (Post 1977610)
I was the editor-in-chief of the literary magazine and I worked on the school newspaper.
That makes... SO much sense. Imagine a yearbook, formatted by Jase. Or a ScrapBook / Burn Book.

ynwtf 12-29-18 08:22 PM

I remember organizing a list of kitchen items. Learning measurements. Stuff like that. We watched a lot of safety videos. =/

cat_sidhe 12-29-18 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Nostromo87 (Post 1977646)

That makes... SO much sense. Imagine a yearbook, formatted by Jase. Or a ScrapBook / Burn Book.

I'd PAY to see his burn book.

Nostromo87 12-29-18 08:45 PM

@cricket @CosmicRunaway @Captain Spaulding

cat_sidhe 12-29-18 08:49 PM

I sucked at science and had slight trouble with mathematics but LANGUAGES, that was my thing. I still absorb languages scary fast.

cat_sidhe 12-29-18 08:50 PM

Oh snd that wood shop? Nobody beat my technical drawings.

My friends were all guys, and for the most part I was one of them so I didn't have boyfriends, but many boyfriends. I'm better at befriending women as an adult but back then it was almost exclusively boys. It was awesome. I used to pot shot my favs on the head from a distance with ripe loquats. Aaah, childhood affection. :lol:

Captain Steel 12-29-18 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by cat_sidhe (Post 1977642)
Ok, question. Guys who took home ec, was your first lesson "how to clean a cupboard"?

That what made me switch. My parents made me do chores. I was WAY beyond cleaning cupboards.
The only things I remember from Home-Ec was sewing (I made a pillow shaped like an "H") and cooking. I think it was the teacher who made a potato pancake cooked in class, but it still had chunks of raw potato in the middle - worst thing I ever tasted! I remember being so repulsed that I wanted to spit it out or throw up - but I had to swallow it and say it was good because the teacher made it!!!

In grammar school, Shop/Home-Ec was a regular part of the curriculum (just like art, music and gym), and when they made it co-ed, they just split the grade up so that half the kids would take shop while the others took Home-Ec for half a year, and then switch for another half year, but the boys and girls were now in the classes together.

Nostromo87 12-29-18 09:10 PM

This thread's probably REALLY SUPER cheesy, laff, but for some reason I'm enjoying it. Okay okay, I've gotta start doing that Horror Hall of Fame II thing, I put it off every night off from work I get!

CosmicRunaway 12-29-18 09:13 PM

I got incredibly good grades in High School, but had a very flippant attitude towards the actual classes, particularly the easier ones. I was in advanced placement classes for Maths and Literature, and took University level classes in my third year, but didn't pay the extra fee to get real University credits for them. For my electives I took mostly Tech classes, where there typically weren't any other girls.

I hung out with other sort of weird people who were cool enough not to be losers, but weren't exactly social butterflies - we weren't timid, we were just a little anti-social. During lunch we played card games (Magic: The Gathering and Yu-Gi-Oh! mainly) in one of the classrooms that the stoners also chilled out in. Despite our hobbies, I guess we weren't considered as lame as the other nerds since we'd stand up for ourselves if anyone said anything to us.

I dressed a lot like how I do now in High School (sort of "normal", I guess?). It was after my "super tomboy" phase but before my "kinda goth" one. This was before Facebook, so there aren't any easily accessible pictures around. The closest thing I have is one from Grade 9, which isn't High School here.

CosmicRunaway 12-29-18 09:22 PM

I see you guys talking about Home Ec and Workshop classes, but we had none of that. Apparently my school added them by the time my brother went through though. I would've liked to have taken those classes. I was however lucky enough to take the Robotics class when it was offered for a limited time. It's not as cool as it sounds though. We only used motorized lego pieces and a very basic scripting program.

We split ourselves up into teams at the start of the class that we kept all year. Some of my friends also took the class, and we naturally grouped together. We called ourselves "Team Bare Minimum" since we aimed to put in the least amount of effort to still succeed. We always ended up first or second, much to the chagrin of the group of competitive nerds, who were trying really, really hard. It was pretty funny. We would finish the day's task early and play Worms on our computer (on a SNES emulator that I swear was there before hand) for the rest of the period.

The teacher didn't mind since we still got our work done. :cool:

Steve Freeling 12-29-18 09:48 PM

I kept losing points in Spanish class (which they forced on us) because I can't roll my tongue.

ynwtf 12-29-18 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 1977662)
I see you guys talking about Home Ec and Workshop classes, but we had none of that. Apparently my school added them by the time my brother went through though. I would've liked to have taken those classes. I was however lucky enough to take the Robotics class when it was offered for a limited time. It's not as cool as it sounds though. We only used motorized lego pieces and a very basic scripting program.

We split ourselves up into teams at the start of the class that we kept all year. Some of my friends also took the class, and we naturally grouped together. We called ourselves "Team Bare Minimum" since we aimed to put in the least amount of effort to still succeed. We always ended up first or second, much to the chagrin of the group of competitive nerds, who were trying really, really hard. It was pretty funny. We would finish the day's task early and play Worms on our computer (on a SNES emulator that I swear was there before hand) for the rest of the period.

The teacher didn't mind since we still got our work done. :cool:
We didn't get robotics until like 20 years after I graduated. We had a computer lab full of old macs (even old for the 90s) but The most we used them for was math invaders.

I was so jealous of a friend that got to go to a city school with painting classes and a real video production lab.

Citizen Rules 12-29-18 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by ynwtf (Post 1977672)
We didn't get robotics until like 20 years after I graduated. We had a computer lab full of old macs (even old for the 90s) but The most we used them for was math invaders.

I was so jealous of a friend that got to go to a city school with painting classes and a real video production lab.
No robotics? Don't feel bad we didn't have computers and our drivers ed cars were all Edsels:eek:

ynwtf 12-29-18 10:23 PM

Ooooh. I think I get the real fishing point behind the OP. Let-me-clear-my-thrrrrrroat! Eh-hem:

I was ...like this and like that and like this, and uh...

I am the Key Master.

Captain Steel 12-29-18 11:10 PM

Believe it or not I took a "math" class in high school called "Computer Science." This was circa 1980.

I was never so lost in my life and couldn't figure out what any of it had to do with these newfangled computers.

It was all flowcharts (they gave us a little plastic template that let you trace out diamonds and rectangles). I literally do not know how I passed (I think with a C or D) because I had no idea what any of it was about. If they'd written on the board in Japanese without saying a word it would have made more sense to me than these flowcharts.

When it came to actually using computers (we had about 5 of them) - you had to get your name on a list and wait weeks to use one!

The only things I actually did on the computer was made a quiz (mine was a multiple choice about comic books) and a "visual" project where you drew a picture on graph paper first - then filled in an X wherever your line went through a square - then somehow made a grid on the computer where you filled in an X just like on the graph paper - then you removed the grid lines on the computer and ended up with a little drawing made of X's that we could print out!

That was it! That was "Computer Science": flow charts that meant nothing to me (which I still have no idea how they related to computers or programming or whatever), an interactive quiz (come to think of it, the fact that it was interactive and told you whether you got the answer right or not, was probably the most technologically advanced thing I did in the class!) and a little picture made with X's! (And these things were someday going to launch Space Shuttles?)

gbgoodies 12-30-18 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1977680)
Believe it or not I took a "math" class in high school called "Computer Science." This was circa 1980.

I was never so lost in my life and couldn't figure out what any of it had to do with these newfangled computers.

It was all flowcharts (they gave us a little plastic template that let you trace out diamonds and rectangles). I literally do not know how I passed (I think with a C or D) because I had no idea what any of it was about. If they'd written on the board in Japanese without saying a word it would have made more sense to me than these flowcharts.

When it came to actually using computers (we had about 5 of them) - you had to get your name on a list and wait weeks to use one!

The only things I actually did on the computer was made a quiz (mine was a multiple choice about comic books) and a "visual" project where you drew a picture on graph paper first - then filled in an X wherever your line went through a square - then somehow made a grid on the computer where you filled in an X just like on the graph paper - then you removed the grid lines on the computer and ended up with a little drawing made of X's that we could print out!

That was it! That was "Computer Science": flow charts that meant nothing to me (which I still have no idea how they related to computers or programming or whatever), an interactive quiz (come to think of it, the fact that it was interactive and told you whether you got the answer right or not, was probably the most technologically advanced thing I did in the class!) and a little picture made with X's! (And these things were someday going to launch Space Shuttles?)

I took the same type of Computer Science class back in the mid-1980s. I loved it. It was my first computer course, and it was all logical, so everything made sense to me. The only part of it that I didn't like was the typing on the keyboard, but that was because I was also taking a typing course that same year, and I had the same teacher for both classes. I learned how to type properly in the typing course, but I prefer to type with the "two-finger method". My teacher tried to make me type properly during the computer course even though it was a different class. :mad:

christine 12-30-18 08:23 AM

I was shy but not scared to stand up for myself. I had friends in different groups, went to discos dancing to Motown, but also hung out with the metalheads, didn't really fit in anywhere. Always felt like an outsider. Wouldn't speak up much but knew a lot of stuff as I read like a maniac. Wasn't a big fan of school lessons (except French language and literature) prob daydreamed my way through the last few years judging by my A level results, but liked the idea of school.
Massive Everton fan, took my little brother every week to Goodison, home matches and reserve matches. Would argue football with the hard lads, unusual for girls then.

doubledenim 12-30-18 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Loner (Post 1977633)
I was the Judd Nelson character in The Breakfast Club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTeYncx1xmI
Only I got five days of Saturday School (detention) in six weeks.

Smoke up Johnny, smoke up.

doubledenim 12-30-18 08:56 AM

Final semester of high school was great. University was already locked up. Grades already made. Great little job at biggest mall on the east coast at the time. Doing the intense music phase. Great club in Winston that managed to pull national acts. Solid group of friends who basically made up the wrestling team. Camp outs on the back 40.

I was never a big deal, but I really enjoyed high school. In hindsight, I would have done things differently focusing on my future, but I cherish it all and have no regrets.

honeykid 12-30-18 12:58 PM

I was in high school? What day was that?

ashdoc 12-30-18 02:09 PM

i was looked upto as the expert in history war military geopolitics etc by other school mates . used to get highest marks in social studies ( history and geography ) . but one bully used to hate me for that . also my best friend was secretly jealous of me for that , something that came as a major shock to me later .

I first fell in love with the girl who lived bang opposite my house when she started flirting with me from the window opposite my living room . she used to put on music of Bollywood songs and dance to entice me and I used to watch mesmerised . then she used to stand in the window looking deep into my eyes from afar . but her parents caught her doing this and she was forced to stop . later they moved out of our locality . I have tried to locate her on facebook in recent times but without success .

christine 12-30-18 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 1977747)
I was in high school? What day was that?
in a year long long ago...:D

Nostromo87 12-30-18 03:21 PM

5 Attachment(s)

Nostromo87 12-30-18 04:00 PM

@Stirchley the Fashion maestro

Loner 12-31-18 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by doubledenim (Post 1977715)
Smoke up Johnny, smoke up.
Don't smoke though, never did.

doubledenim 12-31-18 01:35 AM

I have a tourette's like thing where I get triggered to repeat that line.

KillBillLover 01-10-19 05:22 AM

I was a nerd, lol.

Monkeypunch 01-27-19 03:28 PM

High School sucked for me. I had severe anxiety and depression that weren't being controlled, and I was bullied mercilessly for this, essentially. I barely talked to anyone. I liked art class and marching band, and I got suspended several times for skipping gym. I was the poor kid, my clothes were always not the style, I always had a bad haircut. I didn't date, even though I had a major crush on a girl in my art class. I didn't want to risk the rejection. I almost dropped out several times, but I didn't in the end.

I had my friends in my Boy Scout troop, and they kept me sane, and I loved movies, comic books, and Star Trek.

My life as a middle aged adult is a billion times better. I'd never go back to those days, I wouldn't ever want to be young again. I don't even enjoy high school movies.

Joel 01-27-19 07:01 PM

I was kind of an idiot. I had limited talents so without what I have now I suppose, I wasn't much of anything but a goofball. I wasn't a complete loser. I had my wits about me in some areas, but I skipped all of the time. Tried to make out or more with girls as often as possible, and did get some bully action coming my way from time to time. I had long hair, and flat top jocks didn't like that, so they would taunt sometimes. Whatever. Most of those guys would torture cats while waiting to be enrolled in the military so...not even a urine stain on my memory. I wish them well.

JoaoRodrigues 01-31-19 05:46 AM

Great, all chicks in lines to bang me.
I didn't even finish high school, I saw it as a hypocrisy where bad thought teachers were wasting my time.
I saw it as a preparation for a system I didn't want to belong, now I realized I have to belong, because is harder if I choose otherwise.

Arigatō-san 02-02-19 07:18 AM

There were 1,000 kids in my class. I was probably the smartest, but also lazy. My parents were divorced, and my mother worked very hard and loved us very much, but was not necessarily the best life-teacher parent. So I did not have a good work ethic. My best friend, on the other hand, was an overachiever, and he was our valedictorian. We would often sit next to each other and talk in class, without regard for the other students or teacher. One time, for a final exam where we were both guaranteed A's, we sat at the back of the room and openly cheated on the test. The other students complained, but the teacher knew we were guaranteed A's anyway, so she didn't care.

I imagine I was at times the Hermione Granger of my class, quick to raise my hand and answer questions, quick to correct the teacher when he/she was wrong, but also sometimes just plain rude and annoying.

I am nothing like that in my adult life, thank God.

Nausicaä 02-10-19 08:42 AM

At least when I was in high school it was very different from American movies. In here we had no such a strict adherence to narrow social groups and vast majority of people got along with practically everyone.
^ This. British school system for me, and at the time I was at school it was all fine and dandy.

I had my main group of friends through the whole of high school and that was that. The school I went to had a very good anti bullying programme and didn't have soft teachers that took any old ****e and don't remember seeing any bullying, I was never bullied and can't remember any of my friends getting bullied as I would have thumped the bully(I think that answers why I wasn't bulled...) So yeah, pretty normal high school life in that sense.

Also I was a goth in high school and when it came to the uniform I got in trouble a few times because I changed it around a bit compared to what you had to wear. I was a uniform rebel. :D

Apart from that, I was a good student, excellent at sports(except field hockey, hated it - basically everyone was rubbish including me and most of the time we just stood there worried we were going to get whacked in the face with a hockey stick after one girl was smacked in the mouth...yeah, we didn't wear safety helmets or gum shields in field hockey), and fine with every academic subject except for maths and languages. Urgh, terrible at maths.

:)

hell_storm2004 02-18-19 11:48 AM

Same for me. I never felt the kind of pressure kids show in movies. But then again, they are the movies, unless some American student can tell me how it is, i just wouldn't know. For me, i was eager to go to school every morning, just to mess around with friends and by that i mean more or less the whole class. It was truly a fun time. College was even better, but school was awesome.