Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Reviews (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The MoFo Top 100 of the Forties: The Countdown (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=51265)

SilentVamp 09-10-17 04:16 PM

The MoFo Top 100 of the Forties: The Countdown

https://www.movieforums.com/images/l...s/film-1-2.jpg

Before anything else I just want to say that I have a newfound respect and appreciation for the hosts of every countdown before this one. Not that I didn’t respect them, nor have appreciation for what they’ve done before. It is just that now that I have experienced the task of putting one of these together I have the newfound respect and appreciation. :)

I want to say a big thank you to everyone who took the time to watch the films in preparation for this countdown. And a big thank you goes out to everyone who submitted a list. Also, thanks in advance to everyone (whether they were directly involved in the outcome of the results or not) for following along with the countdown.

Being a “victim” of Photobucket, I just want to say that I am very grateful to Yoda for helping out when it came to the photos that will be added to this. Thank you. :)

I also want to thank Citizen Rules for helping out in whatever way that he could. Thank you!!!

Some brief information regarding the countdown:

- To get things started today, only the one point films will be revealed

- The countdown itself will begin tomorrow (Monday, the 11th)

- Two films will be revealed everyday from number 100-11

- After that, one film will be revealed each day from number 10 – 4

- The last three films will be revealed on the final day

-The films will be revealed between 5-6 PM Central time during the week

-They will be revealed during the same hours as today (2-4 PM Central time) on the weekend

- There were 57 lists (9 partial) with a total of 276 films on those lists

- Ties were broken by the number of lists a film was on. Then, if necessary, a tie was broken by the film that placed higher on a list

I believe this will be happening over about 2 months (if my calculations are correct!). This was an excellent decade for films, and we have a very good variety that will be appearing on this list. Hopefully everyone checking this out today will keep coming back until the end.

SilentVamp 09-10-17 04:17 PM

https://www.movieforums.com/images/l...0s/TheList.jpg

100. The Body Snatcher
99. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
98. The Letter
97. King-Size Canary
96. The Uninvited

95. Education for Death
94. Detour
93. Waterloo Bridge
92. The Spiral Staircase
91. Ride the Pink Horse

90. Blithe Spirit
89. Le Corbeau
88. Easter Parade
87. Sands of Iwo Jima
86. Great Expectations

85. The Magnificent Ambersons
84. The Naked City
83. To Be or Not To Be
82. The Postman Always Rings Twice
81. Kiss of Death

80. Nightmare Alley
79. Black Narcissus
78. Now, Voyager
77. Key Largo
76. A Letter to Three Wives

75. Lifeboat
74. Rome, Open City
73. Scarlet Street
72. Gilda
71. Suspicion

70. The Suspect
69. Meshes of the Afternoon
68. Sullivan's Travels
67. All the King's Men
66. Yankee Doodle Dandy

65. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein
64. Stray Dog
63. Heaven Can Wait
62. Beauty and the Beast
61. Portrait of Jennie

60. Dead of Night
59. The Pride of the Yankees
58. My Darling Clementine
57. The Wolf Man
56. Red River

55. Odd Man Out
54. Drunken Angel
53. Miracle On 34th Street
52. The Picture of Dorian Gray
51. I Walked with a Zombie

50. Sergeant York
49. Cat People
48. Meet Me In St. Louis
47. Leave Her to Heaven
46. The Devil and Daniel Webster

45. Mildred Pierce
44. The Lady from Shanghai
43. The Little Foxes
42. White Heat
41. Gaslight

40. How Green Was My Valley
39. The Ox-Bow Incident
38. The Red Shoes
37. The Philadelphia Story
36. Dumbo

35. Bambi
34. A Matter of Life and Death
33. The Ghost and Mrs. Muir
32. Out Of the Past
31. The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

30. Children of Paradise
29. The Killers
28. Letter From an Unknown Woman
27. Day of Wrath
26. Kind Hearts and Coronets

25. Late Spring
24. The Lost Weekend
23. Pinocchio
22. The Big Sleep
21. Brief Encounter

20. Fantasia
19. The Shop Around the Corner
18. Arsenic and Old Lace
17. Shadow Of a Doubt
16. The Best Years of Our Lives

15. Notorious
14. His Girl Friday
13. The Grapes of Wrath
12. Laura
11. The Great Dictator

10. Rebecca
9. Bicycle Thieves
8. Rope
7. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
6. Double Indemnity

5. It's a Wonderful Life
4. The Maltese Falcon
3. Citizen Kane
2. The Third Man
1. Casablanca

SilentVamp 09-10-17 04:17 PM

https://www.movieforums.com/images/l...pointfilms.jpg

https://www.movieforums.com/images/l...rhirestill.jpg
This Gun for Hire
(Frank Tuttle, 1942)

https://www.movieforums.com/images/l...cairostill.jpg
Five Graves to Cairo
(Billy Wilder, 1943)

https://www.movieforums.com/images/l...happystill.jpg
You Gotta Stay Happy
(H. C. Potter, 1948)

https://www.movieforums.com/images/l...sconductor.jpg
Hideko the Bus-Conductor
(Mikio Naruse, 1941)

https://www.movieforums.com/images/l...unichstill.jpg
Night Train to Munich
(Carol Reed, 1940)

https://www.movieforums.com/images/l...ngdomstill.jpgThe Keys of the Kingdom
(John M. Stahl, 1944)

https://www.movieforums.com/images/l...musicstill.jpg
Words and Music
(Norman Taurog, 1948)

https://www.movieforums.com/images/l...shomestill.jpgBuck Privates Come Home
(Charles Barton, 1947)

https://www.movieforums.com/images/l...certostill.jpg
The Cat Concerto
(William Hanna & Joseph Barbera, 1947)

https://www.movieforums.com/images/l...eeyrestill.jpg
Jane Eyre
(Robert Stevenson, 1943)

https://www.movieforums.com/images/l...iumphstill.jpg
Arch of Triumph
(Lewis Milestone, 1948)

https://www.movieforums.com/images/l...admanstill.jpgAngel and the Badman
(James Edward Grant, 1947)

SilentVamp 09-10-17 04:40 PM

I know it won't say that the thread is updated if I just edited a post, but if you look at it now (and you have seen it before), you will see that the one point films have been added. :)

Citizen Rules 09-10-17 04:42 PM

Re: The MoFo Top 100 of the Forties: The Countdown

Yeah! I'm stoked for this Some damn fine 1 pointer choices by the our fellow MoFos. I'm not sure if I had any of those on my list. I'll go check.....

Citizen Rules 09-10-17 04:46 PM

Jane Eyre was my #25. One of my favorite performances by Orson Welles.

Love that film strip photo Vamp, very cool! The other photos look great too. I can tell you put a lot of time and heart into this:up:

Pussy Galore 09-10-17 04:50 PM

Nice 1st pointers.

I'm the one who voted for The Keys of the Kingdom, very good film with a good hearted center character.

Chypmunk 09-10-17 04:52 PM

Some very good one-pointers there, looking forward to following this from the sidelines.

SilentVamp 09-10-17 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1774557)
Yeah! I'm stoked for this Some damn fine 1 pointer choices by the our fellow MoFos. I'm not sure if I had any of those on my list. I'll go check.....
I saw a few of those before, but I think I will watch Night Train to Munich again. I saw it a long time ago. I have to see if the library has it.

And when I saw The Cat Concerto, the first thing that went through my mind was "I wonder if that is going to be that Tom & Jerry cartoon where he is playing the piano". And I was right. :D

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1774561)
Jane Eyre was my #25. One of my favorite performances by Orson Welles.

Love that film strip photo Vamp, very cool! The other photos look great too. I can tell you put a lot of time and heart into this:up:
Thanks! :) And don't tell me you don't just love that shot that I used from Jane Eyre! :D I think it is fantastic. It has always been my favorite from the film.

Citizen Rules 09-10-17 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Pussy Galore (Post 1774564)
Nice 1st pointers.

I'm the one who voted for The Keys of the Kingdom, very good film with a good hearted center character.
I've seen it and you're right it's a real good film and not well known either. It's about a kind hearted, yet maverick Catholic priest, (Gregory Peck) in improvised rural China. It's a good role for Gregory Peck as he has this quiet determination about him that made him both humble and yet able to do the right thing, under very hard circumstances.

If I keep writing this will be a review:p But yeah good choice!

cricket 09-10-17 04:58 PM

I haven't seen any of the 1 pointers and I've never even heard of most of them.

Citizen Rules 09-10-17 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by SilentVamp (Post 1774568)
...Thanks! :) And don't tell me you don't just love that shot that I used from Jane Eyre! :D I think it is fantastic. It has always been my favorite from the film.
I do!...The entire scene where Jane Eyre approaches Thornfield Hall is so moody and so stylish, that even though Orson isn't the director it's pretty much assumed that the staging of those scenes were his suggestions. It's very theatrical and Welles was a theatrical showman.

Citizen Rules 09-10-17 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1774578)
Yes you have, I'm almost sure I seen your rating of This Gun For Hire....With Alan Ladd as a hitman and Veronica Lake as the girl, does that sound familiar? It's one of my favorite noirs.

Jeff Costello 09-10-17 05:04 PM

Night Train To Munich was my NO.25. Fun fast-paced espionage thriller with a great peformance by Rex Harrison. I believe this is the best film from director Carol Reed, though it's not as visually sound as his later work. Never a dull moment in it and there is nice dose of humour to even out the twisty suspense. Highly recommended to everyone who enjoys quick moving plot and some cool action sequnces.

rauldc14 09-10-17 05:08 PM

Five Graves to Cairo is the only one pointer that I have seen. I liked it, but it wasn't close to making my list.

The Gunslinger45 09-10-17 05:09 PM

My one pointer is an easy Top 20.

Then again the vast majority of my picks first start to show up in the 70's of the countdown.

I look forward to a good list.

cricket 09-10-17 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1774585)
Yes you have, I'm almost sure I seen your rating of This Gun For Hire....With Alan Ladd as a hitman and Veronica Lake as the girl, does that sound familiar? It's one of my favorite noirs.
It doesn't look familiar. The Noirs I watched were almost exclusively on the Noirs list. I looked it up and it looks very good though, I think I'd like to see it anyway. I always like Ladd and Lake.

Jeff Costello 09-10-17 05:14 PM

This Gun For Hire is a decent enough noir.

The Keys of the Kingdom has been on my radar for quite a while, mainly because I'm interested in seeing Vincent Price's early dramatic roles.

Citizen Rules 09-10-17 05:17 PM

Buck Privates Come Home

(Charles Barton, 1947) This one has to be GBGs, she's the only person on the site that likes Abbot and Costello. As far as I know and I'm pretty sure I remember her saying she was a fan of their movies.

Angel and the Badman

(James Edward Grant, 1947) This is one of my favorite John Wayne films, thanks to Gail Russell.

Chypmunk 09-10-17 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1774578)
Have you really never seen The Cat Concerto :eek:
Colour me shocked!

Siddon 09-10-17 05:17 PM

Jane Eyre almost made my list, it was one of the last five films I cut.

Chypmunk 09-10-17 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1774606)

Buck Privates Come Home

(Charles Barton, 1947) This one HAS to be GBGs, she's the only person on the site that likes Abbot and Costello.
Errrrr, no she isn't - their films were a staple of my childhood :) See ... I even know it's two 't's in Abbott :p
I didn't submit a list tho' so it may well be her one-pointer.

Thursday Next 09-10-17 05:27 PM

Yay, it's starting!

The only one of those one-pointers I've seen is Jane Eyre, which I liked (although like all of the many adaptations, it's not a patch on the book). The early parts are particularly good, including a young Elizabeth Taylor as Helen Burns. I thought Joan Fontaine better cast than Welles - she played a very similar role in Rebecca. Wasn't on my list though.

I guess my #25 must have been on somebody else's list as well since it's not on the list.

Citizen Rules 09-10-17 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Thursday Next (Post 1774625)
Yay, it's starting!

The only one of those one-pointers I've seen is Jane Eyre, which I liked (although like all of the many adaptations, it's not a patch on the book). The early parts are particularly good, including a young Elizabeth Taylor as Helen Burns. I thought Joan Fontaine better cast than Welles - she played a very similar role in Rebecca. Wasn't on my list though.

I guess my #25 must have been on somebody else's list as well since it's not on the list.
I really liked Joan Fontaine in Rebecca and also Letter From an Unknown Woman, she was amazing in both. Little Peggy Gardner was a stand out for me in Jane Eyre, and she was equally good in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

I wouldn't be surprised to see those movies show up at some point.

MovieMeditation 09-10-17 05:48 PM

Uuuh, I should've voted for The Cat Concerto! Love me some Tom & Jerry and that one is excellent!

I have watched and rated most of the original Hanna Barbara Tom and Jerry's, which made me just skip them all altogether instead of finding one to put on the list... shame on me...

Anyways, apart from that, I've seen jack so far...

SilentVamp 09-10-17 05:50 PM

Buck Privates Come Home
(Charles Barton, 1947)
You know what? I thought this was very entertaining. I watched it recently, and it really did have some funny parts to it. Abbott and Costello clips/films are something that I saw enough as a kid, but I can honestly say that I have never watched a film of theirs as an adult until this one. I liked it.

Originally Posted by Thursday Next (Post 1774625)
I love the story (particularly the book) of Jane Eyre just too much. I was actually pulling for it to NOT appear on any other list just so that it could be mentioned at least with the one point films. I just wanted Jane Eyre to be mentioned on here somehow. :)

mark f 09-10-17 06:52 PM

Nice beginning, Vamp! I've never had a one-pointer, but I've seen all of these except one.

HashtagBrownies 09-10-17 06:55 PM

Glad you're doing the countdown in this fashion Vamp. I've got stuff to do this week so I won't be able to out my full attention to the list.

SilentVamp 09-10-17 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by mark f (Post 1774689)
Nice beginning, Vamp! I've never had a one-pointer, but I've seen all of these except one.
Thanks! :) Which one haven't you seen?

Originally Posted by HashtagBrownies (Post 1774691)
Glad you're doing the countdown in this fashion Vamp. I've got stuff to do this week so I won't be able to out my full attention to the list.
Well, I will be linking each film to the second post of the thread if you will want a quick way to catch up whenever you get the chance to look at the countdown again. :)

GulfportDoc 09-10-17 09:01 PM

You're off to a blazing start, SV! It's exceedingly nice of you to have taken on this project. And it's very much appreciated..:)

~Doc

mark f 09-10-17 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by SilentVamp (Post 1774695)
Thanks! :) Which one haven't you seen?
Hideko the Bus-Conductor. The others I've seen many times.

Yam12 09-10-17 09:26 PM

I didn't think it was likely but I've actually seen one of the 1 pointers.

I unfortunately didn't watch enough films to submit a list but I'll still follow this countdown for stuff to add to my watchlist.

gbgoodies 09-11-17 01:08 AM

Buck Privates Come Home

(Charles Barton, 1947) This one has to be GBGs, she's the only person on the site that likes Abbot and Costello. As far as I know and I'm pretty sure I remember her saying she was a fan of their movies.

That's a good guess, but nope, :nope: it wasn't mine.

I love Abbott & Costello movies, and I considered several of them for my list, but only one of their movies made my list, and this wasn't it.

But now I'm curious who had Buck Privates Come Home on their list.

My 1-pointer didn't make this list, so at least one other person had it on their list. Hopefully that means that it made the countdown, but it's a movie that I rarely hear anyone talk about nowadays, so it's probably a long shot at best.

I've seen these movies from the 1-pointers list:
This Gun for Hire
Night Train to Munich
Words and Music
Buck Privates Come Home
The Cat Concerto
Jane Eyre

I haven't seen You Gotta Stay Happy, but it sounds like my kind of movie, so I added it to my watchlist.

edarsenal 09-11-17 01:58 AM

They ran Abbott & Costello movies on Sunday mornings when I was a kid so I've seen 'em all and Buck Privates is one of their best. Some great bits like The Dice Game and the About Face. Serious reps to whoever voted that one.

This Gun Is For Hire is a pretty decent noir.

Arch of Time was my one pointer with Boyer and Bergman. Wonderful movie and one I'd figure would be a strong candidate for One Pointer.

Thanks so much @SilentVamp for hosting this. It's off to brilliant start.

Camo 09-11-17 03:22 AM

The Cat Concerto is the only one pointer i've seen. It was one of my two nominations in the Animated Shorts HoF; it finished third. Curious if it was a member of that HoF that voted for it, sorry if the person that voted has already mentioned it not got alot of time so i had to skim through the thread.

Thanks alot again Vamp for taking the time to do this :)

Kaplan 09-11-17 05:35 AM

Five Graves to Cairo was my one-pointer. It's not even close to being one of Billy Wilder's best films, but I just like it a lot. But looking at the list, I should have included This Gun for Hire. I so love it, and I think Veronica Lake was the most stunningly beautiful actress of any era. Alan Ladd is pretty cool, too.

the samoan lawyer 09-11-17 09:39 AM

Cat Concerto was my #25. It's been a favourite since I was a kid and now my kids love it.

rauldc14 09-11-17 09:57 AM

My predictions for 100 and 99

Sergeant York and Miss Miniver

Citizen Rules 09-11-17 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Kaplan (Post 1774884)
...But looking at the list, I should have included This Gun for Hire. I so love it, and I think Veronica Lake was the most stunningly beautiful actress of any era. Alan Ladd is pretty cool, too.
The opening scenes of This Gun for Hire is some of the best noir I've seen! It's brutal, especially for the 1940s. The only other noir 'rub out' scenes that come close is the opening scene in The Killers when the Swede gets it....and Pickup on South Street the scene with Thelma Ritter. I wonder if either of those will show up on the countdown?

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 1774930)

Ahh, two fine choices, I would hope they would be higher. I considered both for my list, especially Mrs Miniver, but just didn't have the room

Kaplan 09-11-17 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1775033)
The opening scenes of This Gun for Hire is some of the best noir I've seen! It's brutal, especially for the 1940s. The only other noir 'rub out' scenes that come close is the opening scene in The Killers when the Swede gets it....and Pickup on South Street the scene with Thelma Ritter. I wonder if either of those will show up on the countdown?

Ahh, two fine choices, I would hope they would be higher. I considered both for my list, especially Mrs Miniver, but just didn't have the room
Unfortunately the rest of The Killers doesn't live up to the opening. After all that's from Hemingway's story. Pickup was a 50s movie.

Citizen Rules 09-11-17 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Kaplan (Post 1775038)
... Pickup was a 50s movie.
Shows you what I know:p...and I should have remembered that too as, Pickup on South Street in in my Top 10

Mr Minio 09-11-17 03:30 PM

Hideko the Bus-Conductor was the 25th film on my list. Hideko Takamine is so cute in it. After I watched it, I wrote:
Hideko's smile at the end. I watch movies for moments like this.

SilentVamp 09-11-17 05:25 PM

I am quickly posting something from the library. :)

Originally Posted by GulfportDoc (Post 1774746)
You're off to a blazing start, SV! It's exceedingly nice of you to have taken on this project. And it's very much appreciated..:)
Thanks! :) And Happy Belated Birthday, by the way!! :D

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 1774860)
My 1-pointer didn't make this list, so at least one other person had it on their list. Hopefully that means that it made the countdown, but it's a movie that I rarely hear anyone talk about nowadays, so it's probably a long shot at best.
It is funny that you say that you really don't hear anyone talk about it nowadays because it is a film that my mother has talked about so often. In fact, she even asked if anyone had it on their list. :D

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 1774930)

I was going to ask yesterday if anyone had any predictions for today. Those are two very good films to name.

Is anyone else going to take a chance and say what they think might be the first two films to appear on the countdown? :)

I know I said that I would be on here to reveal the films everyday between 5-6 PM unless there were unforeseeable circumstances. Well, today there just happened to be an unforeseeable circumstance. I had to get my brakes taken care of (a broken brake line, to be exact). I JUST got out of there (I was there for about 4 hours because of the wait to get looked at and then get it fixed). Anyway, I have a bunch of things that I still have to get taken care of today (never planned on that much time being spent there today :(). So, there is the chance I can get home and get this done by 5-6, but let's play it safe and say between 6-7. If I get home before then, I will do the reveal right away. But let's just assume the later time for now.

Sorry about that, guys! :)

edarsenal 09-11-17 07:18 PM

that's rough, needs must, so no worries, SV

SilentVamp 09-11-17 08:10 PM

Alright. I am back. :) Just give me a couple of minutes and I will get this started. :)

Camo 09-11-17 08:15 PM

Great timing i only came on for five minutes haha.

SilentVamp 09-11-17 08:16 PM

~100~

https://www.movieforums.com/images/l...tchertitle.jpg

Director: Robert Wise
Producer: Val Lewton
Distributor: RKO Pictures

https://www.movieforums.com/images/l...cherstill2.jpg

34 Points - 2 Lists
(8th; 10th)

cricket 09-11-17 08:20 PM

Body Snatcher? I didn't see no stinkin Body Snatcher. That's one I have to watch already to get my 100%.

seanc 09-11-17 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1775387)
Body Snatcher? I didn't see no stinkin Body Snatcher. That's one I have to watch already to get my 100%.
That's what you get for working so hard and trying to show the rest of us up. :p

edarsenal 09-11-17 08:22 PM

holy *****, @cricket, I went to see your list and there are a number of 100% and a couple just short of -- you maniac

rauldc14 09-11-17 08:22 PM

I have never even heard of that one.

SilentVamp 09-11-17 08:22 PM

~99~

https://www.movieforums.com/images/l...rhydetitle.jpg

Director: Victor Fleming
Producer: Victor Saville
Distributor: MGM

https://www.movieforums.com/images/l...rhydestill.jpg

34 Points - 3 Lists
(11th; 16th; 17th)

rauldc14 09-11-17 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 1775389)
holy *****, @cricket, I went to see your list and there are a number of 100% and a couple just short of -- you maniac
He's the wanna be mark and Holden Pike.

Camo 09-11-17 08:23 PM

Seen neither. I'm not sure if i've ever seen a #100 or #99. At least i've read both stories the films are based on. Might watch one soon.

Great layout Vamp :up:

SilentVamp 09-11-17 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1775387)
It is pretty good. I read the story, too (which I like even better - for me, it is almost a perfect horror story), but the film is good. I think you would like it.

edarsenal 09-11-17 08:25 PM

Haven't seen Body Snatcher either, been curious to.
Have seen Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. VERY good version.

Seen: 1/2

List:
#25 Arch of Time 1 Pointer

cricket 09-11-17 08:26 PM

I've seen Jekyll and Hyde several times though not in many years. Nice to see some horror show up.

edarsenal 09-11-17 08:27 PM

nice touch adding the Studio the movie came from -- very cool

Cobpyth 09-11-17 08:29 PM

Great lay-out, @SilentVamp!

Jeff Costello 09-11-17 08:34 PM

Yezzir, film from my list has already made an appearance !!! The Body Snatcher was my NO.10 . It is precisely what I like in my horror. Really great story, heavily reliant on ominous atmosphere and a great performance by Boris Karloff. The final carriage scene is beyond chilling and will definitely stay with me for a while. I'm glad to see that film of Val Newton's production received some recognition.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...fCUBZXH6FpIcpL

SilentVamp 09-11-17 08:34 PM

Since two horror films started off the countdown, does anyone have any predictions of what may follow those?

Siddon 09-11-17 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 1775403)
nice touch adding the Studio the movie came from -- very cool

http://i.imgur.com/vGaaKGO.gif

Yam12 09-11-17 09:00 PM

Haven't seen either of these. Guessing the one film I watched from the 40s will definitely be in the top 3 of the list

Yoda 09-11-17 09:03 PM

Wow, @SilentVamp. Using screenshots of the on screen titles is awesome! Must've been a lot of work. Nice! :up:

Camo 09-11-17 09:09 PM

Hey, was going to make this a private list as i don't think anyone cares but just in case. I'm going to be keeping up with a list for Letterboxd - https://letterboxd.com/camarel/list/...-of-the-1940s/

It's mostly for me as i like to know how many films i've seen and it's a little annoying when we're 60 films in or whatever having to find my last post or go to the first post and count how many i've seen, this does an automatic count if you have the films marked as watched so it's easier.

Just in case any Letterboxd users want to bookmark it for the same reason or whatever.

Camo 09-11-17 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by SilentVamp (Post 1775413)
Since two horror films started off the countdown, does anyone have any predictions of what may follow those?
The way you worded this it sounds like they are from the same genre so i'll guess: Going My Way and Easter Parade.

re93animator 09-11-17 09:22 PM

I think I was the other Body Snatcher vote. My favorite Lewton flick.

I prefer the 30s Dr. J, but I really enjoy that one too.

A fun start!

Camo 09-11-17 09:32 PM

Damn is this true?

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (where Fleming was based) acquired the rights to the 1931 film, originally released by Paramount Pictures, in order to keep the earlier film out of circulation. Every print of the 1931 film that could be located was destroyed, making it essentially a "lost film" for decades except for clips until a full version was found and restored.
Old Hollywood was basically the Mafia, huh.

MovieMeditation 09-11-17 09:36 PM

I'm gonna pull a Miss Vicky this whole countdown...

haven't seen neither.

edarsenal 09-11-17 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1775461)
Damn is this true?

that's messed up

Velvet 09-11-17 09:48 PM

pretty formmat

Pussy Galore 09-11-17 09:59 PM

2 I've not seen and haven't really heard of, I might check them out eventually.

jal90 09-11-17 10:12 PM

As usual, the top starts with two I haven't seen :D

I've heard great things about these two renowned horror classics but never considered them as top priority, probably because I don't care that much about horror. I'll check someday.

SilentVamp 09-11-17 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1775461)
Damn is this true?

I wouldn't be surprised if that was true. I could definitely see if Louis B. Mayer pulling something like that.

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1775434)
The way you worded this it sounds like they are from the same genre so i'll guess: Going My Way and Easter Parade.
OK. Those are good guesses. But we will have to wait and see if you are correct. :D

By the way, I will definitely be here on time tomorrow. :yup:

Camo 09-11-17 10:38 PM

I wonder how many films were destroyed by the studios and are still lost for reasons like that or the director doing it to his own films due to studio interference. John Ford destroyed scenes he felt didn't fit in with Young Mr Lincoln because the studio wanted to put them in.

rauldc14 09-11-17 10:43 PM

I would predict 2 more horror based on the way that was worded. So, The Uninvited and Cat People

dadgumblah 09-11-17 10:44 PM

Wow, great work Vamp! Even if none of mine were to make it, I'd enjoy following this one. Very pleasing to the eye, as has been stated.

Words and Music, Buck Privates Come Home, The Cat Concerto, Jane Eyre, and Angel and the Badman, ---I've seen all of them. I'm ashamed to say that I've yet to You Gotta Stay Happy, seeing as how James Stewart is my favorite actor. I must rectify that. I've heard of the rest, except Hideko the Bus-Conductor.

The Body Snatcher is an excellent movie and definitely one of Karloff's best and Henry Daniell was every bit his equal in this. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is a fine film also, with Spencer Tracy and Ingrid Bergman giving the best performances. I also prefer the 1931 Frederic March version but this one is a nice remake.

I'm also one of those Abbott and Costello fans. I came very close to putting my favorite of theirs on the list, but there were too many other movies so I had to make some cuts.

Once again, you're doing a fine job, Vamp! Nothing from my list yet, but I can't wait for the next entries.

Camo 09-11-17 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 1775553)
I would predict 2 more horror based on the way that was worded. So, The Uninvited and Cat People
Cat People will be higher i think. If it's another horror maybe Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein since one of their other films made the one-pointers.

SilentVamp 09-11-17 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1775549)
I wonder how many films were destroyed by the studios and are still lost for reasons like that or the director doing it to his own films due to studio interference. John Ford destroyed scenes he felt didn't fit in with Young Mr Lincoln because the studio wanted to put them in.
This is something that really, really bothers me. I can see John Ford doing it. I can understand his reasoning for it. At the same time, whether it is a director, or a studio, it really bothers me that there are so many films (and scenes from so many of them) that are missing, or just completely gone, that we will never get a chance to experience.

Originally Posted by dadgumblah (Post 1775554)
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is a fine film also, with Spencer Tracy and Ingrid Bergman giving the best performances. I also prefer the 1931 Frederic March version but this one is a nice remake.
Fredric March and Spencer Tracy. Two Wisconsin boys that played that part very well in those films. :D I always enjoyed that fact. :D

SilentVamp 09-11-17 11:23 PM

F.Y.I

If you guys ever fall behind on the countdown, I've started to link up each film to the second post of this thread:
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...30#post1774530

Frightened Inmate No. 2 09-11-17 11:26 PM

haven't seen either, want to see both

Citizen Rules 09-12-17 12:08 AM

Nice layout Vamp, very stylish and 40's era appropriate:up:

I've seen both films, Body Snatcher is one of my all time favorite horror films, it's so moody and well done...with a very believable plot. It was on my short list but didn't make the final cut, but only because I have so many 40s film that I love.

I've seen, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, it's good but nowhere close to the 1931 precode classic with Fredric March and Miriam Hopkins. I do expect everyone to watch that version;) before I do the 1930s Countdown...well you have more than a half a year I'm guessing:p

Mr Minio 09-12-17 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1775609)
I've seen, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, it's good but nowhere close to the 1931 precode classic with Fredric March and Miriam Hopkins
How about the 1920 version?

gbgoodies 09-12-17 02:11 AM

@SilentVamp, I love the layout. :up:

Not surprisingly, these two horror movies weren't on my list.

I haven't heard of The Body Snatcher, but any movie directed by Robert Wise, and starring Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi might be worth checking out, so I added it to my watchlist.

I've seen the 1941 version of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, but I thought the 1931 version was better. (However my favorite version is the Broadway musical version starring David Hasselhoff.)

mark f 09-12-17 03:36 AM

Well, the first two of our 100 are both from Robert Louis Stevenson stories. They weren't on my list but they're both watchable. Karloff and Lugosi were in eight movies together, and this is as entertaining as any. My fave scene Jekyll/Hyde is below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJO0BImGChY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z93ckeSzXE

Chypmunk 09-12-17 04:00 AM

A solid enough start - seen both, neither were on my list though :shifty:

dadgumblah 09-12-17 04:12 AM

Mark, that was a wild scene! Especially him thinking of Bergman and Turner as horses he's whipping and driving fast. :eek:

Thursday Next 09-12-17 04:17 AM

Haven't seen either of those!

edarsenal 09-12-17 01:24 PM

the more I look at The Body Snatcher the more I want to find it. Sadly, coming up bumpkis, but not stopping the search though

and gotta echo CR about the great format on page 1 - really ideal for the decade!

doing so I realized I never mentioned another 1 pointer I've seen and give proper credit to: Angel and the Badman. A really good western that I had only finally seen in the past year or so. Glad to see someone voting for that one.

Chypmunk 09-12-17 01:36 PM

Faildictions incoming....

98. My Favourite Brunette
97. Dragonwyck

edarsenal 09-12-17 01:40 PM

haven't seen My Favorite Brunette and hopefully Dragonwyck shows up a little higher, but worthy faildictions

Jeff Costello 09-12-17 01:50 PM

I would love for Dragonwyck to sneak in, but I doubt it will.

Miss Vicky 09-12-17 01:52 PM

I may have seen the Tom and Jerry cartoon from the One Pointers, but nothing else so far.

Citizen Rules 09-12-17 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff Costello (Post 1775940)
I would love for Dragonwyck to sneak in, but I doubt it will.
I doubt it too. But it's a decent film and I'd be happy to see it get a spot on the countdown.

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 1775930)
haven't seen My Favorite Brunette and hopefully Dragonwyck shows up a little higher, but worthy faildictions
:)Gene Tierney is the patron saint of MoFo:)

edarsenal 09-12-17 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1775944)
:)Gene Tierney is the patron saint of MoFo:)
Bless me Gene, as I do love to sin lol

NedStark09 09-12-17 02:32 PM

Im kinda dissapointed that my first film from my list Angel and The Badman was only on a 1 pointers list. BUt John Wayne had allot of movies in the 40s 50s and 60s. But then again Angel and The Badman was my 25th film and almost didnt make the list but did the last minute.

Citizen Rules 09-12-17 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by NedStark09 (Post 1775973)
Im kinda dissapointed that my first film from my list Angel and The Badman was only on a 1 pointers list. BUt John Wayne had allot of movies in the 40s 50s and 60s. But then again Angel and The Badman was my 25th film and almost didnt make the list but did the last minute.
If it makes you feel any better:) I really like Angel and The Badman:up:

edarsenal 09-12-17 03:10 PM

It's always fun to get on the one pointer list, it's an added bonus for that special film that everyone else either missed out on or couldn't fit in and it gets a little extra notice this way.
Which is why I went with Arch of Time, which I watched just before handing mine in.

cat_sidhe 09-12-17 03:21 PM

Beautiful layout, @SilentVamp!

SilentVamp 09-12-17 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by mark f (Post 1775636)
Well, the first two of our 100 are both from Robert Louis Stevenson stories.
I thought that was an interesting little fact when I first realized that they were going to be the first two named.

Im kinda dissapointed that my first film from my list Angel and The Badman was only on a 1 pointers list.
At least by being a one-pointer it gets to be mentioned honorably. :) Look at all of the films that won't get mentioned at all. I think it is a good thing to make that list. :)

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 1775994)
It's always fun to get on the one pointer list, it's an added bonus for that special film that everyone else either missed out on or couldn't fit in and it gets a little extra notice this way.
Which is why I went with Arch of Time, which I watched just before handing mine in.
Arch of Time?! :D

Alright. I will get the next set posted in just a bit.