Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   The Television & Music Forum (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Silicon Valley (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=49129)

Yam12 04-24-17 07:25 PM

Silicon Valley

Didn't see a thread for this so I thought I'd start

The new season started yesterday. What did everyone think? I thought it was a good premiere episode. It's great to see Russ Hanneman again

Stirchley 05-08-17 09:20 PM

Re: Silicon Valley

Silicon Valley is off to a great start this season.

Yoda 05-09-17 01:35 PM

One of the better shows on TV. Just the right mix of silly and clever. And just putting the funniness aside, they've done a remarkable job of keeping the show feeling the same without being static. Lots of plot momentum, but without altering the core of the show. The main characters are somehow always bumbling, but rarely stupid, and always moving forward without changing too much. Really deft balance.

It's really incisive in its take downs of the TED-Talk Techno-Messiah stuff. Judge was really ahead of the curve here, as this stuff was just becoming ripe for satire when this show started.

Camo 05-09-17 01:48 PM

Should really get back to this, i stopped near the end of Season 2 for reasons i don't remember and haven't been back since. Season 1 was great and i was enjoying Season 2 even though i don't remember much of it. All i remember was that guy Russ taking over Peters place after the actor and by extension the characters death and Big Head hilariously being in a sort of limbo where he was with a company that paid him but they didn't actually want him so he just kind of hung out on the roof with the other unwanted employees :laugh:. Was the episode where Gilfoyle convinces Ginesh that his girlfriend wants to have sex with him in Season 2? Yeah, i'm going to catch up with this soon, i liked it alot.

Yoda 05-09-17 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1700305)
and Big Head hilariously being in a sort of limbo where he was with a company that paid him but they didn't actually want him so he just kind of hung out on the roof with the other unwanted employees :laugh:
Big Head's still around in season four, and he's routinely one of the funniest parts of the show. They've just got him Gumping his way through everything and it's tremendous.

doubledenim 05-09-17 03:46 PM

I think I stopped after S2. Looking forward to depressionbinge watching the other seasons.

Stirchley 05-09-17 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1700309)
Big Head's still around in season four, and he's routinely one of the funniest parts of the show. They've just got him Gumping his way through everything and it's tremendous.
Yeah, thanks to him the Chinese guy, whose name I've forgotten, now has extra space in the crisper!

Stirchley 05-26-17 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1700309)
LOL. Now he's a professor at Stanford!

Larry 04-26-18 08:53 AM

Started watching this show. Three eps in. Pleasant and humorous..,hasn’t been hysterical yet but I’m intrigued by the storyline. Not really qualified to give this comparison because I’ve never seen the Big Bang theory but I’d imagine it’s like a R rated Big Bang with an actual direction and actually funny minus the canned laughter.

Stirchley 04-27-18 03:06 PM

@Larry, it’s a very good show. Did not watch the most recent season as I have seen enough now, but enjoyed many episodes.

Larry 04-28-18 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 1894207)
@Larry, it’s a very good show. Did not watch the most recent season as I have seen enough now, but enjoyed many episodes.
Really loving it now. 6 eps in.

Larry 05-02-18 11:41 PM

Finished season 1. This show is so much fun. The brunette assistant is also so so hot. Will be starting s2 tonight. I’ve been watching the likes of Westworld, deadwood, mad men...all very serious shows and although I think they are all amazing it’s nice to have a light hearted but quality series to watch.

Stirchley 05-04-18 03:24 PM

@Larry, have you ever seen Veep? It is so funny & a great show.

Larry 05-04-18 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 1896429)
@Larry, have you ever seen Veep? It is so funny & a great show.
No...but I’ve added a mental note to check it out now. Thank you.

Yoda 05-09-18 01:13 PM

This show is so, so good. I've liked it the whole time, but I actually like it more as it goes on. I think Seasons 3 and 4 were better than 1 and 2, and the current season is maybe just a smidge below.

It's such a great mix of clever plot development (finding ways to keep challenges coming in interesting ways while still having a feeling of overall progression) and just flat-out funny stuff, nearly all of it situational and character-based. It's always been good, but sometime in the last year or two I noticed I was looking forward to Silicon Valley almost as much as anything else.

And man oh man, was this show well-timed. When it started it was on the vanguard of the whole "these tech guys seem to have an inflated view of what they're doing" stuff, and now that observation is almost banal.

"Have you considered manufacturing in America?"
"F**K YOU."

Stirchley 05-09-18 04:13 PM

@Yoda, one of the most hilarious arcs was when Bighead became a Stanford professor.

Yoda 05-09-18 04:13 PM

Yes. I was so happy to see him show up against a couple of episodes ago. I hope we see more of him.

ScarletLion 05-14-18 11:22 AM

Jarred's fish lips nearly ruined me. Guilfoyle's reaction completed the ruin.

GrantD2 05-17-18 03:57 PM

"Do you want to die today, mother****er?"

God, I love Jared.

Yoda 05-17-18 03:59 PM

I immediately rewound to listen to that again. So good.

This show gets so much comedic mileage out of all the time it's spent developing its characters.