Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=62534)

Deschain 10-16-20 02:42 PM

A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Hey all! If you don't know me I'm Deschain from the old Rotten Tomatoes forum and more recently the Correrieno, which just closed down.

This is a thread for everything horror and the people who love them. So welcome!

SpelingError 10-16-20 02:50 PM

I'll post the rest of my horror reviews for this month in here.

Citizen Rules 10-16-20 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Deschain (Post 2132170)
Hey all! If you don't know me I'm Deschain from the old Rotten Tomatoes forum and more recently the Correrieno, which just closed down.

This is a thread for everything horror and the people who love them. So welcome!
Welcome to MoFo! I noticed we had an influx of new members and one of them also mentioned Correrieno. What was Correrieno? I did a quick internet search but couldn't find it.

Deschain 10-16-20 02:51 PM

Re: A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcram

I cram horror all through October. Some stuff I watched in the last few days:

Dr. Sleep was really good and pretty close to the book. The movie ups the member berries which is mildly annoying but it doesn't impact the enjoyment too much.

Doom Annihilation was pretty subpar in all elements especially the acting, sets, and special effects. I heard this was bad but I'm a Doom fan so I checked it out anyway. It could have been fine if it was a little more competently made. The script is literally just Aliens with a Doom skin on it so I didn't think it'd be that hard to do. And how do you have a Doom movie without Doom Guy?

Revenge was damn good. Very simple and straightforward and more of a thriller than a horror but definitely effective. And I loved how much blood there was in this.

In Search of Darkness, a four and a half hour documentary on '80s horror, was definitely fluffy and nostalgic but not much else. And with it's desire to cram in as many movies as possible they don't dive too deep into any of them.

Downrange was surprisingly pretty good. Found this browsing on Shudder and it kept me engaged throughout. The acting is pretty bad but it's intense and gory and kept me guessing the whole way through.

The Furies was one I heard was real good but was kinda disappointed. It all felt so basic and done before. Also all the women were supposed to be like high school aged but felt way older which was a little confusing.

SpelingError 10-16-20 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2132173)
Welcome to MoFo! I noticed we had an influx of new members and one of them also mentioned Correrieno. What was Correrieno? I did a quick internet search but couldn't find it.
It's a relatively obscure movie forum several of us here posted at. I've posted at this place a bit in the past (you may or may not remember me), but never stuck around for some reason. Since Corrierino is closed down though, I plan to post here a lot more.

Deschain 10-16-20 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2132173)
Thanks! it was a very small forum a bunch of us navigated to after the Rotten Tomatoes forums went down. It was run by a former RTer too who I think forgot it even existed for a while until he shut it down like 3 days ago.

Yoda 10-16-20 03:02 PM

Hey, cool, welcome. I remember RT from way back in the day, I was a regular there maybe 15-16 years ago.

Yeah, harder and harder to find longform forum/movie discussion. Glad you found us. Looking forward to seeing good horror recs/thoughts in this thread.

Thief 10-16-20 03:04 PM

I gotta say, if we are to stay here, we need to know the situation here. How solid is this? I mean, we need assurances.

Deschain 10-16-20 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2132181)
Hey, cool, welcome. I remember RT from way back in the day, I was a regular there maybe 15-16 years ago.

Yeah, harder and harder to find longform forum/movie discussion. Glad you found us. Looking forward to seeing good horror recs/thoughts in this thread.
Thanks! And the thread is for everyone to discuss horror not just me. :)

Yoda 10-16-20 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2132183)
I gotta say, if we are to stay here, we need to now the situation here. How solid is this? I mean, we need assurances.
I offer you no assurance and hazy threats in response to the question.

Welcome!

Thief 10-16-20 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2132185)
I offer you no assurance and hazy threats in response to the question.

Welcome!
Seriously, though, thanks

ynwtf 10-16-20 03:19 PM

Neat. I USED to love the RT forums. I don't remember much of it at all at this point, but I remember things took a turn for the worse (IMO), when forums on specific movies were consolidated into some generic catchall forum. I spent less and less time there as a result of the restructure as it became more difficult to find the threads I wanted, then one day I heard it was gone completely. I find it easy enough to learn an existing structure or logic but difficult to re-learn once that structure changes as dramatically as I remember it being at the time. Sad. I actually wrote a few reviews back then. Not so much anymore. I hate that I have not learned of Correrieno before now.

Anyhoo. Welcome to the forums, to all of you (and welcome back to one of you?), now that you're all popping in to this thread. Just a nice trick bank shot to get this out all at once :)

Also, horror stuff. @cat_sidhe

SpelingError 10-16-20 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by ynwtf (Post 2132187)
Neat. I USED to love the RT forums. I don't remember much of it at all at this point, but I remember things took a turn for the worse (IMO), when forums on specific movies were consolidated into some generic catchall forum. I spent less and less time there as a result of the restructure as it became more difficult to find the threads I wanted, then one day I heard it was gone completely. I find it easy enough to learn an existing structure or logic but difficult to re-learn once that structure changes as dramatically as I remember it being at the time. Sad. I actually wrote a few reviews back then. Not so much anymore. I hate that I have not learned of Correrieno before now.

Anyhoo. Welcome to the forums, to all of you (and welcome back to one of you?), now that you're all popping in to this thread. Just a nice trick bank shot to get this out all at once :)

Thanks! And yeah, I've been here a bit in the past. Just never stuck around that long. Kind of wish I did, but now's the time to rectify that.

ynwtf 10-16-20 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2132188)
Thanks! And yeah, I've been here a bit in the past. Just never stuck around that long. Kind of wish I did, but now's the time to rectify that.

I'm digging that name btw. lol

Captain Terror 10-16-20 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Deschain (Post 2132170)

https://media1.tenor.com/images/bb9f...itemid=5080735

SpelingError 10-16-20 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by ynwtf (Post 2132190)
I'm digging that name btw. lol

Thanks. I used "Popcorn Reviews" at RT and Corrie, but might as well have a different name lol.

Captain Terror 10-16-20 03:36 PM

I gotta say, if we are to stay here, we need to know the situation here. How solid is this? I mean, we need assurances.
Right?? Talk about abandonment issues, jeez. I'm not unpacking any of these boxes just yet.

Torgo 10-16-20 03:40 PM

Hi, I too am a Rotten Tomatoes and Corrierino refugee. Nice forum you have here.

Here are some short assessments of the horror movies I've watched so far this month:

Razorback - Probably the best Russell Mulcahy (Highlander, Ricochet) work I've seen so far. You could describe it as Jaws with a pig, but it has its own unique style and visuals. There's a surreal sequence in the middle that will make you check what's in your drink. The humans are a bit more scarier than the pig, however.

Overlord - It's labeled as a horror movie, but it's not that scary. It's still a very entertaining World War II action flick. If you loathed Pilou Asbaek in Game of Thrones, you'll really do so in this.

The Monster (2016) - If darkness and claustrophobia are what get your heart racing, this movie will do just that. Zoe Kazan and young newcomer Ella Ballentine and give very good performances. There are a quite a few flashbacks, which I'm not always a fan of, but movie places them at just the right times and each one provides meaningful character development.

The Skull - If you're a Peter Cushing fan, you'll love it. It's very close to being a one-man Peter Cushing show. He is scarily convincing as someone who has lost touch with reality and who has let his obsession with dark and disturbing collectibles take over his life (let that be warning to you, just kidding).

Hardware - Even if you've seen all the killer robot movies from Screamers to all the Terminators, you should still check it out. It has an atmosphere that expertly captures the hopelessness of dystopian life and the claustrophobia and grimness of being in what might as well be the last intact apartment building on Earth. What's more, it has a hilariously creepy performance from William Hootkins (Red 6 from Star Wars).

The Void - Disappointing, but I still recommend it for its visuals and performances. My main problem with it is that it combines the one-location thriller like Assault on Precinct 13 with sci-fi horror like The Thing and the malformed connective tissue between the two left me with too many unanswered questions to become fully involved.

Wes Craven's New Nightmare - It's probably my third favorite Nightmare on Elm Street behind Dream Warriors and the first one. Not much else to say about it other than I loved to see people like John Saxon and Wes Craven himself play small roles in it. It's also surprisingly similar to David Lynch's Inland Empire.

Near Dark - I already discussed it in the other horror thread, but again, it's one of the best vampire movies I've ever seen. It plays a bit fast and loose with vampire rules, so if you're a vampire purist, it may not be your cup of blood...err...tea.

Torgo 10-16-20 03:42 PM

Also, what do you all eat or drink while Horrorcramming? I've been drinking Howling Gourds Pumpkin Ale, which I like, although the vanilla sometimes overwhelms the pumpkin spice flavor.

SpelingError 10-16-20 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Torgo (Post 2132196)
Also, what do you all eat or drink while Horrorcramming? I've been drinking Howling Gourds Pumpkin Ale, which I like, although the vanilla sometimes overwhelms the pumpkin spice flavor.

Just some plain old boring hot chocolate for me. Pumpkin Ale sounds good though.

AgrippinaX 10-16-20 03:47 PM

Definitely G&T today (very long day at work) as I try to source something truly brutal for my nighttime viewing. Was going to try Saint Maude, but that could prove too mild.

SpelingError 10-16-20 03:50 PM

Also, I might as well repost the first two horror summaries I wrote this month here since I wrote them before the great Corrie migration:

Cat People (1942) - 7/10

WARNING: spoilers below
Being my first of Tourneur's horror films (Out of the Past, which is a masterpiece, is the only other film I've seen from him), I found this to be a good introduction into one of the main genres he specialized in. The horror elements of the film (curses and shape-shifting), though they made for a handful of effective horror sequences, ultimately weren't what caught my interest the most. I found myself drawn mostly to the tragedy at the heart of the story and how the horror elements shaped the various characters in the film. Irena's curse took its toll on both her and Oliver, particularly. The former grew more confident with her curse, while the latter slowly lost his patience while waiting for her to get over her fear of her curse. This made it so they were both harmful towards each other, yet didn't realize this until it was too late. This theme of harmful relationships also applied to Dr. Judd, Irena's psychiatrist, whose refusal to take her seriously served to escalate the problem and lead to Irena being more reckless. Alice, who was caught up in the middle of this conflict, was who Irena directed most of her rage towards. On the other hand though, I was a bit put off by the shapelessness of Irena's arc as she seemed much too gentle in many of her early scenes for me to buy her murder attempts of Alice and Oliver, which, though shot really well, were the only issues I had with the film. Regardless of this, however, I really loved this film due to the various character dynamics and I'm looking forward to watching more of Tourneur's horror films in the future.

Deep Red (1975) - 7/10

Being relatively new to giallo horror, I chose this to be the giallo film I'd watch this month, given I'm already a huge fan of Suspiria. While I prefer Suspiria by a decent margin (which isn't a flaw with this film, really; Suspiria is untouchable), I enjoyed this film quite a lot. Rewatching this film after you know the ending is a rather joyful experience which will reveal a handful of hints you'd likely miss with your first viewing. What I was mainly impressed with, however, was how its individual horror sequences seemed to blend reality with the paranormal. Though it's eventually revealed that nothing paranormal goes on, the central mystery has such a thick, supernatural atmosphere that, for a first time viewer, it's easy to believe in this conceit. Why does this aspect persist so strongly though? I think the revelation that the killer had been sent to a mental institution in the past and was supposed to be sent to another one before she killed her husband justifies this aspect. That she, along with her son to an extent, were displayed as eccentric throughout the film, seems to heavily inform its supernatural undercurrent. It's as if their mental states are baked into the film's fabric, thus giving it this bizarre feel. On the other hand, the jazzy, upbeat soundtrack could be really intrusive at times and this is also, sadly, yet another entry in a long line of films which stigmatize mental institutions, but there's still definitely a lot in here to love.

Citizen Rules 10-16-20 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2132175)
It's a relatively obscure movie forum several of us here posted at. I've posted at this place a bit in the past (you may or may not remember me), but never stuck around for some reason. Since Corrierino is closed down though, I plan to post here a lot more.
Cool and Welcome to all of you refugees🙂

MoFo is an awesome place! We do lots of group activities here and you guys are more than welcomed to join in.

Thief 10-16-20 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Torgo (Post 2132196)
Pfff, blood, of course.

https://images6.fanpop.com/image/pho...32-400-190.gif

AgrippinaX 10-16-20 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2132199)
Also, I might as well repost the first two horror summaries I wrote this month here since I wrote them before the great Corrie migration:

Cat People (1942) - 7/10

Being my first of Tourneur's horror films (Out of the Past, which is a masterpiece, is the only other film I've seen from him), I found this to be a good introduction into one of the main genres he specialized in. The horror elements of the film (curses and shape-shifting), though they made for a handful of effective horror sequences, ultimately weren't what caught my interest the most. I found myself drawn mostly to the tragedy at the heart of the story and how the horror elements shaped the various characters in the film. Irena's curse took its toll on both her and Oliver, particularly. The former grew more confident with her curse, while the latter slowly lost his patience while waiting for her to get over her fear of her curse. This made it so they were both harmful towards each other, yet didn't realize this until it was too late. This theme of harmful relationships also applied to Dr. Judd, Irena's psychiatrist, whose refusal to take her seriously served to escalate the problem and lead to Irena being more reckless. Alice, who was caught up in the middle of this conflict, was who Irena directed most of her rage towards. On the other hand though, I was a bit put off by the shapelessness of Irena's arc as she seemed much too gentle in many of her early scenes for me to buy her murder attempts of Alice and Oliver, which, though shot really well, were the only issues I had with the film. Regardless of this, however, I really loved this film due to the various character dynamics and I'm looking forward to watching more of Tourneur's horror films in the future.

Deep Red (1975) - 7/10

Being relatively new to giallo horror, I chose this to be the giallo film I'd watch this month, given I'm already a huge fan of Suspiria. While I prefer Suspiria by a decent margin (which isn't a flaw with this film, really; Suspiria is untouchable), I enjoyed this film quite a lot. Rewatching this film after you know the ending is a rather joyful experience which will reveal a handful of hints you'd likely miss with your first viewing. What I was mainly impressed with, however, was how its individual horror sequences seemed to blend reality with the paranormal. Though it's eventually revealed that nothing paranormal goes on, the central mystery has such a thick, supernatural atmosphere that, for a first time viewer, it's easy to believe in this conceit. Why does this aspect persist so strongly though? I think the revelation that the killer had been sent to a mental institution in the past and was supposed to be sent to another one before she killed her husband justifies this aspect. That she, along with her son to an extent, were displayed as eccentric throughout the film, seems to heavily inform its supernatural undercurrent. It's as if their mental states are baked into the film's fabric, thus giving it this bizarre feel. On the other hand, the jazzy, upbeat soundtrack could be really intrusive at times and this is also, sadly, yet another entry in a long line of films which stigmatize mental institutions, but there's still definitely a lot in here to love.
Great reviews! The Deep Red Goblin soundtrack has stayed with me forever.

Torgo 10-16-20 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2132201)
https://i.imgur.com/uVZ3cxW.gif

SpelingError 10-16-20 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by AgrippinaX (Post 2132202)
Great reviews! The Deep Red Goblin soundtrack has stayed with me forever.
Thanks! Regarding the soundtrack, though I found it intrusive to the atmosphere in the film, I've yet to listen to it by itself, so that may enhance my enjoyment of that aspect. Who knows. Regarding Argento, Suspiria took a few viewings for me to fall in love with it so the same may happen with this film.

Stirchley 10-16-20 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by AgrippinaX (Post 2132198)
Definitely G&T today (very long day at work)
So Brits still drink those, eh?

Sedai 10-16-20 04:24 PM

Drat, you just missed the start of the MoFo Halloween Challenge. Can still jump in, but would have some catching up to do!

Welcome to MoFo!

Takoma11 10-16-20 04:44 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/tze1mGedykiuk/giphy.gif

I think we've been in the Horrorcram for, what 15 years? Glad you've resurrected it.

Just keep it away from any small children throwing flowers in the river.

AgrippinaX 10-16-20 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2132208)
So Brits still drink those, eh?
Not that many Brits, but I do.

Deschain 10-16-20 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2132213)
https://media.giphy.com/media/tze1mGedykiuk/giphy.gif

I think we've been in the Horrorcram for, what 15 years? Glad you've resurrected it.

Just keep it away from any small children throwing flowers in the river.
Oh **** Tak is here!

Also being on the last two dead forums it’s nice to meet some new blood so thanks for the welcomes from all you.

WHITBISSELL! 10-16-20 05:21 PM

Just checked and Corrierino is officially gone. Sank beneath the waves.

Watched The Ghoul last night. It's a 1933 Karloff film that he made in England after a falling out with Universal over money. Pretty good actually. He plays an Egyptologist named Henry Morlant who is convinced that a jewel called The Eternal Light will grant him immortality if he is buried with it. That's when a plethora of thieves come out of the woodwork to try and steal it. The cast includes a couple of future "Sirs", Ralph Richardson and Cedric Hardwicke and Ernest Thesiger (Dr. Pretorious from The Bride of Frankenstein) The plot does a decent enough job of combining "the old dark house" genre of horror with elements of The Mummy and a bit of drawing room mystery. (80 out of 100)

ApexPredator 10-16-20 07:45 PM

Another RT/Corrierino refugee here. Starting to work on my Hooptober 7 list, probably with either The Invisible Man Returns or Bride of Frankenstein tonight.

Odds are that I'll pop up from time to time here, especially during this month or when someone's discussing a film I've seen and can remember.

Daakmore 10-16-20 08:37 PM

Joining in as a RT and Correrieno Horrorcram refugee, glad to see familiar faces and get my horror movie recommendations and fun quotient filled.

Captain Terror 10-16-20 09:22 PM

Prelude (1927)
Guy falls asleep while reading Poe's The Premature Burial and listening to Rachmaninoff's Prelude. Nightmares ensue. :up:
https://youtu.be/Zru1Fi0yxq0

Thief 10-16-20 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by WHITBISSELL! (Post 2132244)
Just checked and Corrierino is officially gone. Sank beneath the waves.

Watched The Ghoul last night. It's a 1933 Karloff film that he made in England after a falling out with Universal over money. Pretty good actually. He plays an Egyptologist named Henry Morlant who is convinced that a jewel called The Eternal Light will grant him immortality if he is buried with it. That's when a plethora of thieves come out of the woodwork to try and steal it. The cast includes a couple of future "Sirs", Ralph Richardson and Cedric Hardwicke and Ernest Thesiger (Dr. Pretorious from The Bride of Frankenstein) The plot does a decent enough job of combining "the old dark house" genre of horror with elements of The Mummy and a bit of drawing room mystery. (80 out of 100)
Saw this last year, but I wasn't a fan. Felt a bit draggy, but it's always nice to see Karloff.

WHITBISSELL! 10-16-20 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2132374)
Saw this last year, but I wasn't a fan. Felt a bit draggy, but it's always nice to see Karloff.
I can see that. But I've seen plenty of other old timey horror flicks that moved slow. It had just enough humor to tip it into the favorable column. Besides, in honor of Halloween I've been watching horror movies and some of them have been real dogs. Started Creature from the Haunted Sea but bailed out after a few minutes. I'd already seen it so I figured why be a masochist about it.

MovieGal 10-16-20 11:13 PM

I'm a huge fan of Nordic horror.

Deschain 10-17-20 01:56 AM

I watched Sam Was Here which had a very Twilight Zone/Black Mirror vibe except it wasn’t very good and kinda nonsensical.

I also watched Random Acts of Violence directed by Jay Baruchel which was a little too convoluted and far fetched for its own good. But man the violence was brutal.

skizzerflake 10-17-20 02:21 AM

Also, what do you all eat or drink while Horrorcramming?

For tonight, it's a Troegenator Doublebock (strong and medium brown) and The Thing, a truly terrific movie, one of Carpenter's best.

StuSmallz 10-17-20 03:52 AM

While I still prefer to post on the 24 FPS board back over on Kateland for the time being, this place still seems pretty good, so I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Loner 10-17-20 05:55 AM

20 years of assurance. :yup:

We are going to absorb them all!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GODDLgM1gKo
Like The Blob!

Jinnistan 10-17-20 08:22 AM

I rewatched Midsommer and just kind of imagined Epistemophobia in the Christian role.

Thief 10-17-20 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 2132396)
I'm a huge fan of Nordic horror.
Haven't seen much, but have you seen the Dead Snow films? They're far from great, but they're fun.

Torgo 10-17-20 11:30 AM

What serious Vincent Price horror movies do you recommend? I say serious because I've seen The Abominable Dr. Phibes, The Raven and Comedy of Terrors, each of which I liked, but I'm ready to see him in scary mode rather than funny mode. I have seen House on Haunted Hill.

kgaard 10-17-20 11:34 AM

I didn't post often in the old Horrorcram but it was a great place to find new things so watch, so I'll just tag along here if y'all don't mind.

Captain Terror 10-17-20 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Torgo (Post 2132455)
What serious Vincent Price horror movies do you recommend? I say serious because I've seen The Abominable Dr. Phibes, The Raven and Comedy of Terrors, each of which I liked, but I'm ready to see him in scary mode rather than funny mode. I have seen House on Haunted Hill.

Witchfinder General is Price at his most serious. If that's not available, Pit and the Pendulum is a good one.

Torgo 10-17-20 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2132458)
Witchfinder General is Price at his most serious. If that's not available, Pit and the Pendulum is a good one.
Thanks, I'll check them out. I thought that's what I was getting with The Raven, but as soon as I heard the bird speak like a New York cab driver, I knew I should have done more research. It's still a lot of fun, especially since a young Jack Nicholson is in it.

MovieGal 10-17-20 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2132451)
Haven't seen much, but have you seen the Dead Snow films? They're far from great, but they're fun.
Yes. I have seen many from Norway. I am a fan of Nordic cinema overall.

I have seen horror from smaller European countries too. Most are rare finds.

I enjoy other types of "horror" such as obscure German and Hungarian films.

I have a site that I use that has some pretty sick sh*t there.

Thief 10-17-20 12:24 PM

Putting aside the "serious" label, if you're a Vincent Price fan, you must see Theatre of Blood. It has Price at his hammiest.

MovieGal 10-17-20 04:24 PM

Have you seen "Dragonwyck"? Its considered a Goth horror. He's serious in that film.

Torgo 10-17-20 04:29 PM

Phantasm II -

The Tall Man is up to his usual tricks, but this time, Mike and Reggie do not approach his latest mortuary as Sherlock and Watson like they did in the first movie. This time, they go in Tango and Cash style. Along for the ride are Liz, to whom Mike is psychically linked, and the mysterious hitchhiker Alchemy. The things that made Phantasm a classic from the Tall Man to his undead minions to those terrifying spheres are back and the action features improvised weaponry on par with The Evil Dead's Ash Williams' handiwork. Speaking of usual tricks, except for a deadlier sphere and a bigger special effects budget, the movie doesn't reveal anything more about the Tall Man, his plans, his home dimension, etc. I'm all for a little mystery, but some more character and world building would have been nice. Still, it's a blast, a hoot and a satisfying continuation of the series.

CringeFest 10-17-20 05:20 PM

I just watched the first "Evil Dead" on VHS, a great movie to watch in that format, it looks and feels the way it's supposed to!

Overall funny and scary. The greatest part being what their girlfriends turn into.

Rockatansky 10-17-20 06:30 PM

Hello, Rock here. I too am seeking refuge with my former RT/Corrierino countrymen.

I am fresh off of a second viewing of White Zombie, which I quite liked the first time I saw it and enjoyed it even more the second time around. It reminded me of Vampyr in how it exists in an eerie dream state between silent and sound film. Bela Lugosi's performance has a way of getting under your skin. Has any other actor used his otherness to such unsettling effect?

MadMan_731 10-17-20 06:46 PM

Welcome new people. I'm trying to work my way through a stack of public library rentals and still view streaming choices before October ends.

Wooley 10-17-20 08:33 PM

I am here.
The Horrorcram lives and my cold heart is warmed.
Wonderful to see you all again.

Thief 10-17-20 08:48 PM

Wooley made it here??

https://media.giphy.com/media/l46CbA...0s2A/giphy.gif

Wooley 10-17-20 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2132609)
Sorry, man.

SpelingError 10-17-20 10:21 PM

Good to see so many of us migrating here.

Torgo 10-17-20 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2132651)
Good to see so many of us migrating here.
Agreed. Let's just hope that Thief and Wooley can make amends.

MonnoM 10-17-20 11:06 PM

It's always nice to see some fresh names. :D

And horror aficionados to boot. Yeah, you lot are alright in my book. Welcome!

MovieGal 10-17-20 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Torgo (Post 2132660)
Agreed. Let's just hope that Thief and Wooley can make amends.
@Yoda doesn't put up with sh*t here. They start trouble, he has no problem with that Ban hammer. Its just like Thor's!!

SpelingError 10-17-20 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 2132669)
@Yoda doesn't put up with sh*t here. They start trouble, he has no problem with that Ban hammer. Its just like Thor's!!
In fact, all of us despise each other's guts with a fiery passion. That we've stayed together for so long is a complete mystery.

MovieGal 10-17-20 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2132673)
In fact, all of us despise each other's guts with a fiery passion. That we've stayed together for so long is a complete mystery.
Are you trying to be sarcastic?

SpelingError 10-17-20 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 2132677)
Yes.

Takoma11 10-17-20 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 2132677)
We've all been posting together for quite a while. Some of us have been forum buddies for almost 20 years.

The smack talk is all in jest.

MovieGal 10-17-20 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2132678)
Yes.
Don't like sarcasm.

MovieGal 10-17-20 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2132680)
We've all been posting together for quite a while. Some of us have been forum buddies for almost 20 years.

The smack talk is all in jest.
I have been here far longer than any of you.

Yoda 10-18-20 12:02 AM

Let’s not create conflict where none yet exists.

That said, I do try to cultivate respect through crippling fear whenever possible, so I still support the sentiment.

SpelingError 10-18-20 12:09 AM

Just to point out, none of us actually have vendettas towards each other. All our jabs towards each other are in good fun.

Wooley 10-18-20 01:50 AM

Ow! My feelings!

Deschain 10-18-20 02:12 AM

I just watched Horror Noire, a documentary about black people in horror. This was real good, I learned a lot while being entertained throughout. I liked that in addition to traditional talking heads they paired up some of the people and just let them have conversations with each other about the movies. For example Ken Foree and Keith David jawing was especially delightful. The doc kind of uses Get Out as sort of a framing device too and I’m all for as much Get Out as possible.

crumbsroom 10-18-20 02:01 PM

There is a good reason that Don’t Look Now so rarely feels as if it is a horror film. It is much too concerned with going about its daily business as if nothing terrible actually happened. Opening with a traumatic turn of events that will lead to the image of Donald Sutherland rising from some primordial pool of water with the body of his drowned daughter in his arms, face dripping with an anguished howl, it will only be a brief acknowledgement of the terror that lives at the heart of this film. By the next scene he will be busy at work, seemingly unaffected as if we have skipped over the entirety of the grieving process. The child is simply gone, as if his memories of her have been loaded down with stones and allowed to sink out of view, back to where he found her.

It’s in this twilight of emotion that Don’t Look Now resides. It seems to deeply understand one of the great horrors that comes with living through a traumatic event: that no matter how devastating it is, it will never be enough to stop the next day from coming. The shops on your street will keep opening every morning, and the same faces will still be found at the bus stop waiting to begin their morning commute. If you turn on your television, the local weatherman will somehow still see a future to forecast. Maybe with rain, but also maybe not. And as the night comes, if you look up at any window, you may find the light of other lives still daring to be lived shining down at you. It’s almost as if your pain is entirely irrelevant. At least until you realize that you too have continued going on, and whatever has hurt you, has now gotten behind you. Even if you don’t think it has any right to be back there.

Life will never entirely return to normal though, a lesson Sutherland’s character will slowly learn while trying to distract himself restoring churches in Venice. These memories he has tried to bury are what haunt the film, constantly rising in his conscience like a body rising to the surface of the water that drowned it. His past, no matter how painful, is always nearby, rippling just beneath the life he is trying to busy himself with. And as both Sutherland’s present and future also become tangled into the mix of director Roeg’s elliptical editing style, the world that surrounds him seems to become an echo of that howl of anguish he let loose in the opening moments of the film: growing fainter but returning again and again and again.

Even during moments that release him and his wife from this trauma (particularly in one of the most intimate of any love scene ever filmed by two A list actors willing to maybe actually hump on screen), will be intruded upon by scenes from the near future where they are already dressing and moving on from this tenderness. It’s as if the hope of ever living in the moment has been erased for them. They will forever be lost contemplating the fragmented shards of their inescapable memories and recoiling from their equally inescapable future.

How startling it will be then, that in a film where the past has been treated as an undertow one cannot swim themselves free from, and the future seems irrevocably fated, that we will be hit with a moment that exists almost breathlessly in the Present. There will be little preparation for absorbing its impact. Or for the audience to fully grasp what they’ve seen. It will just happen to them, and then they will be ushered out into the cold hard light of the lobby, unable to reconcile when the film they were watching suddenly became so frightening. In this way, the horror of Don’t Look Now will be delivered to those who watch it like their own personal trauma. One they can take the time to decipher, or instead bury deep inside of them, only to come face to face with it again sometime in the future of their nightmares.

SpelingError 10-18-20 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2132843)
There is a good reason that Don’t Look Now so rarely feels as if it is a horror film. It is much too concerned with going about its daily business as if nothing terrible actually happened. Opening with a traumatic turn of events that will lead to the image of Donald Sutherland rising from some primordial pool of water with the body of his drowned daughter in his arms, face dripping with an anguished howl, it will only be a brief acknowledgement of the terror that lives at the heart of this film. By the next scene he will be busy at work, seemingly unaffected as if we have skipped over the entirety of the grieving process. The child is simply gone, as if his memories of her have been loaded down with stones and allowed to sink out of view, back to where he found her.

It’s in this twilight of emotion that Don’t Look Now resides. It seems to deeply understand one of the great horrors that comes with living through a traumatic event: that no matter how devastating it is, it will never be enough to stop the next day from coming. The shops on your street will keep opening every morning, and the same faces will still be found at the bus stop waiting to begin their morning commute. If you turn on your television, the local weatherman will somehow still see a future to forecast. Maybe with rain, but also maybe not. And as the night comes, if you look up at any window, you may find the light of other lives still daring to be lived shining down at you. It’s almost as if your pain is entirely irrelevant. At least until you realize that you too have continued going on, and whatever has hurt you, has now gotten behind you. Even if you don’t think it has any right to be back there.

Life will never entirely return to normal though, a lesson Sutherland’s character will slowly learn while trying to distract himself restoring churches in Venice. These memories he has tried to bury are what haunt the film, constantly rising in his conscience like a body rising to the surface of the water that drowned it. His past, no matter how painful, is always nearby, rippling just beneath the life he is trying to busy himself with. And as both Sutherland’s present and future also become tangled into the mix of director Roeg’s elliptical editing style, the world that surrounds him seems to become an echo of that howl of anguish he let loose in the opening moments of the film: growing fainter but returning again and again and again.

Even during moments that release him and his wife from this trauma (particularly in one of the most intimate of any love scene ever filmed by two A list actors willing to maybe actually hump on screen), will be intruded upon by scenes from the near future where they are already dressing and moving on from this tenderness. It’s as if the hope of ever living in the moment has been erased for them. They will forever be lost contemplating the fragmented shards of their inescapable memories and recoiling from their equally inescapable future.

How startling it will be then, that in a film where the past has been treated as an undertow one cannot swim themselves free from, and the future seems irrevocably fated, that we will be hit with a moment that exists almost breathlessly in the Present. There will be little preparation for absorbing its impact. Or for the audience to fully grasp what they’ve seen. It will just happen to them, and then they will be ushered out into the cold hard light of the lobby, unable to reconcile when the film they were watching suddenly became so frightening. In this way, the horror of Don’t Look Now will be delivered to those who watch it like their own personal trauma. One they can take the time to decipher, or instead bury deep inside of them, only to come face to face with it again sometime in the future of their nightmares.

Great analysis.

Takoma11 10-18-20 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2132843)

It’s in this twilight of emotion that Don’t Look Now resides. It seems to deeply understand one of the great horrors that comes with living through a traumatic event: that no matter how devastating it is, it will never be enough to stop the next day from coming.
I just recommended this to someone to watch and she LOVED it.

Exactly what you say here--the horrible space between normal and not-normal, where it almost makes sense to see visions or have other experiences. And the otherworldly setting is perfect.

SpelingError 10-18-20 05:44 PM

Viy (1967) -

While this film didn't impress me as much as I hoped it would, I still appreciated a decent bit about it and I may revisit it in the future. While its story was fine, I found myself mostly taken in by its mood. Through a combination of dream-like lighting effects, colors, and camera angles, Yershov and Kropachyov crafted a handful of sensually pleasing sequences. The highlight of this was a magnificent monster sequence near the end which is so impressive, it makes you wonder whether you're still watching the same film. Certain bits of it could be argued as cheesy, but the high level of craft in that sequence made it stick out as one of the best things I've seen in a horror film in a while. With that being said, however, I couldn't help but feel unsatisfied after the credits rolled. A few reviews I've read argued that this film doesn't get going until the second half, but I couldn't help but feel as if everything was build-up towards the night three sequence, which was one of the only scenes I loved when I rewatched it. This film reminded me of my experience with Battleship Potemkin. I liked a decent bit of it well enough (though I found some parts to be a slog), but primarily loved just the Odessa Steps sequence. Like Battleship Potemkin, I somewhat enjoyed my time with a lot of this film, but the one sequence I loved had me wishing that more of the film could've been that great. When rewatching the film, I found myself less invested in what came before the night three sequence and somewhat impatient as I waited for it.

cat_sidhe 10-18-20 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by ynwtf (Post 2132187)

Never got the notification for this!

And to everyone wanting assurances, this site has been going for 20 years. Enough of a reassurance for you? :)

Yoda 10-18-20 05:51 PM

I dunno I think that means we're due for a collapse. Rome fell et cetera.

Daakmore 10-19-20 12:02 AM

Just saw the finale of Lovecraft Country, not sure if anyone else has been watching. It was fine, but at least for me the series seemed at it's strongest when it was playing into the history and racial tensions rather than the supernatural. Most of those subplots got resolved in the penultimate episode so this was left wrapping up the supernatural parts so while not bad it felt a bit of a whimper compared to the previous couple episodes. I found the show to be a little inconsistent in quality but it's highs were good enough to make me glad I watched it.

Rockatansky 10-19-20 12:13 AM

I just had two stinkers in a row with Revolt of the Zombies (Victor Halperin's vastly inferior follow-up to White Zombie) and Paganini Horror (which is nowhere near as cool as its title) but did watch the 1934 version of The Black Cat last night, which turned out to be the best thing I've seen so far this month, so I guess it kind of evened out.

For your reference, the poster for Paganini Horror:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...89_film%29.jpg

pahaK 10-19-20 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Rockatansky (Post 2132911)
I just had two stinkers in a row with Revolt of the Zombies (Victor Halperin's vastly inferior follow-up to White Zombie) and Paganini Horror (which is nowhere near as cool as its title) but did watch the 1934 version of The Black Cat last night, which turned out to be the best thing I've seen so far this month, so I guess it kind of evened out.

Oh yeah, Paganini Horror is quite bad. I watched it last year for the Halloween challenge and wrote this:

Originally Posted by pahaK (Post 2044402)
#28 Paganini Horror (1989)

Crappy Argento clone that thinks few colored lights is enough to make the film visually impressive. Script is laughably bad and acting holds up to same standards. So much worse than the director's earlier scifi horror Contamination. Only values this one has are couple of semi-decent rock songs and few unintentional laughs.

Deschain 10-19-20 02:22 AM

I just watched The Hunt. Tonedeaf attempt at political satire aside this actually made me laugh a few times. It’s incredibly stupid and I don’t think it even knows what it’s trying to say but it was entertaining.

Captain Spaulding 10-19-20 04:11 AM

It's exciting to see such an influx of fresh blood, especially with so many of you being horror fans. A shame none of you were here when we redid our MoFo Horror Countdown last year.

I never posted on the RT forums, but I used to lurk on occasion and I recognize some of the usernames. Hopefully you all enjoy your new home. The community here is strong and there's a wide range of ages, tastes and personalities. We also have a lot of group activities, like Hall of Fames, where participants nominate a film for other members to watch and review. (Check out the Ongoing Tournaments & Brackets sub-forum in the Games and Tabs section for relevant examples.) A lot of new members never seem to venture from the General Movie Discussion, but there's a lot more to the forum than that section. We'll soon be updating our All-Time Top 100, and I encourage all of you to participate. We average two countdowns a year (usually a genre specific countdown followed by a decade countdown), and they're a big event around here . . . second only to our wet and messy orgies.

jiraffejustin 10-19-20 04:35 AM

It's kinda hard to believe that MoFo existed 3 months before I turned 9. Oh yeah, welcome to all the people from the other places. We don't actually have orgies.

Captain Spaulding 10-19-20 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 2132926)
We don't actually have orgies.
Nobody wants your herpes so we don't invite you.

pahaK 10-19-20 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding (Post 2132925)
We average two countdowns a year (usually a genre specific countdown followed by a decade countdown), and they're a big event around here . . . second only to our wet and messy orgies.
Wait, why hasn't anyone told me about the orgies?

Seriously though, I'll try to check this thread regularly as I'm definitely a horror lover. Maybe new people will bring new films to my attention too.

jiraffejustin 10-19-20 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding (Post 2132927)
Nobody wants your herpes so we don't invite you.
:(

Captain Spaulding 10-19-20 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by pahaK (Post 2132928)
Wait, why hasn't anyone told me about the orgies?
Never thought you'd be interested since we're all over 18. :p

pahaK 10-19-20 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding (Post 2132931)
Never thought you'd be interested since we're all over 18. :p
:D

I was actually expecting a reply along these lines. Can't escape my hard-earned reputation.

MadMan_731 10-19-20 05:43 AM

I should probably post here a lot more. Maybe I will.

the samoan lawyer 10-19-20 09:39 AM

Welcome newcomers, especially horror fans :cool:

Captain Terror 10-19-20 10:12 AM

I was on my phone when I replied yesterday, so you got the short answer. Here are some of my Vincent Price favorites--

Comedy:
Tales of Terror
Comedy of Terrors
The Raven
Phibes 1 + 2
Theater of Blood

Technically not comedy, but not so serious either:
House on Haunted Hill
The Tingler (SO much fun)
House of Wax
House of Usher
Pit & Pendulum (these last 2 are mostly serious but there's still a bit of a wink involved)

Serious:
Invisible Man Returns
The Fly
Last Man On Earth
Masque of the Red Death
Tomb of Ligeia
Witchfinder General

Torgo 10-19-20 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2132970)
I was on my phone when I replied yesterday, so you got the short answer. Here are some of my Vincent Price favorites--

Comedy:
Tales of Terror
Comedy of Terrors
The Raven
Phibes 1 + 2
Theater of Blood

Technically not comedy, but not so serious either:
House on Haunted Hill
The Tingler (SO much fun)
House of Wax
House of Usher
Pit & Pendulum (these last 2 are mostly serious but there's still a bit of a wink involved)

Serious:
Invisible Man Returns
The Fly
Last Man On Earth
Masque of the Red Death
Tomb of Ligeia
Witchfinder General
Thanks! I was hoping you saw that post. :)
I see that The Tingler is on TCM this week. Will DVR.

Wooley 10-19-20 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2132875)
Viy (1967) -

While this film didn't impress me as much as I hoped it would, I still appreciated a decent bit about it and I may revisit it in the future. While its story was fine, I found myself mostly taken in by its mood. Through a combination of dream-like lighting effects, colors, and camera angles, Yershov and Kropachyov crafted a handful of sensually pleasing sequences. The highlight of this was a magnificent monster sequence near the end which is so impressive, it makes you wonder whether you're still watching the same film. Certain bits of it could be argued as cheesy, but the high level of craft in that sequence made it stick out as one of the best things I've seen in a horror film in a while. With that being said, however, I couldn't help but feel unsatisfied after the credits rolled. A few reviews I've read argued that this film doesn't get going until the second half, but I couldn't help but feel as if everything was build-up towards the night three sequence, which was one of the only scenes I loved when I rewatched it. This film reminded me of my experience with Battleship Potemkin. I liked a decent bit of it well enough (though I found some parts to be a slog), but primarily loved just the Odessa Steps sequence. Like Battleship Potemkin, I somewhat enjoyed my time with a lot of this film, but the one sequence I loved had me wishing that more of the film could've been that great. When rewatching the film, I found myself less invested in what came before the night three sequence and somewhat impatient as I waited for it.
Hmmm... I sorta see what you mean but I felt that once the "philosopher" gets to the church the first night, the movie takes off and doesn't look back, at like Evil Dead levels. I mean, the first scene with the old witch seemed right out of ED2 or even Army Of Darkness. And as short as it is, taking some time to get off the ground didn't really cost that much.

Captain Terror 10-19-20 10:28 AM

A curse upon 1980s poster artists for enticing me to watch so much garbage!

Some of my favorite quotes from The Black Cat:
"After all, it is much better to be frightened than crushed" - Lugosi
"The phones are dead....even the phones are dead..." - Karloff

Wooley 10-19-20 10:34 AM

...but did watch the 1934 version of The Black Cat last night, which turned out to be the best thing I've seen so far this month, so I guess it kind of evened out.
I really think The Black Cat (1934) is an overlooked gem.

SpelingError 10-19-20 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Wooley (Post 2132972)
Hmmm... I sorta see what you mean but I felt that once the "philosopher" gets to the church the first night, the movie takes off and doesn't look back, at like Evil Dead levels. I mean, the first scene with the old witch seemed right out of ED2 or even Army Of Darkness. And as short as it is, taking some time to get off the ground didn't really cost that much.
I think the first night probably comes the closest to getting the film off the ground. I think that night two and the intermittent scenes between his nights in the church, however, slowed the film down before it was able to build up enough tension in those sequences for them to hit hard enough. If it wasn't for how much I loved night three, I might've been okay or less bothered by this, but, upon rewatching the film, most of everything else felt like buildup to that sequence concerning the level of craft on display in it in comparison to the other horror sequences throughout the film. I often found myself impatient to get to that sequence when I rewatched it. That's why I feel the film doesn't get going until that sequence.

Captain Terror 10-19-20 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Torgo (Post 2132971)
I see that The Tingler is on TCM this week. Will DVR.
https://youtu.be/7FQm30eQn7I

Cool. Don't forget--
"You may obtain immediate relief by screaming. Don't be embarrassed about opening your mouth and letting rip with all you've got."

crumbsroom 10-19-20 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2132996)
I think the first night probably comes the closest to getting the film off the ground. I think that night two and the intermittent scenes between his nights in the church, however, slowed the film down before it was able to build up enough tension in those sequences for them to hit hard enough. If it wasn't for how much I loved night three, I might've been okay or less bothered by this, but, upon rewatching the film, most of everything else felt like buildup to that sequence concerning the level of craft on display in it in comparison to the other horror sequences throughout the film. I often found myself impatient to get to that sequence when I rewatched it. That's why I feel the film doesn't get going until that sequence.
The end of Viy is obviously the triumph of the film. It only barely even seems connected to everything that came before, which is so incredibly sober by comparison. So it's fair to think of it as a bit of an underwhelming build up if all you are waiting for is a parade of monsters. But it also sets the foundation for the manic climax to leap off from. While I'm a big fan of Evil Dead 2, which really is like the final twenty minutes of Viy stretched to full length feature, in retrospect I find it an exhausting film to watch. It barely even has any kind of reality to tether it to the ground. It is a living and breathing cartoon. Viy, at the very least, presents its fable as occuring in a recognizable world by slowly leading us to its last act insanity. So while all the preamble may not be nearly as much fun, it does feel like it serves a worthwhile function. And it all looks great, regardless.