Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Upcoming Movies & Sequels (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Lone Ranger, gets stranger (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=19410)

GodsOtherMonkey 05-03-09 02:33 AM

The Lone Ranger, gets stranger

Who's ready to see Johnny Depp play Tonto in the upcoming Lone Ranger movie? Hee hee.:rotfl:

You know, they could make a really good and gritty Texas Ranger movie. Instead, I think we will get Camp with a capital C. :scream:

7thson 05-03-09 02:55 AM

Re: The Lone Ranger, gets stranger.

I like.

Daffodil 05-03-09 03:33 AM

Fabulous.

MadMikeyD 10-25-10 03:59 PM

I have high hopes for this movie. I've been a Lone Ranger fan since the age of 3. The recent comics from Dynamite Entertainment have been excellent. Johnny Depp as Tonto has me a little concerned. So does the supernatural take of the "leaked" script summary I read a while back. Hopefully this will be a good western and not another blemish on the history of a great American character.

will.15 10-25-10 04:21 PM

All the old western heroes they are turning into horror things. Didn't work for Jonah Hex (not supernatuaral in first comic book run) and it won't work for LR. If Johnny Depp is really playing Tonto it is a bad idea. Lone Ranger might be a dated concept best left to the past.

genesis_pig 10-25-10 04:34 PM

I have read few issues of the Dynamite series, really neat.

But I don't agree with the casting of Depp as Tonto, not that he couldn't pull off the role. But there are others who could play the role as well.

MadMikeyD 10-25-10 04:34 PM

I think there is still life left in the Lone Ranger, but it has to be done just right. I'm not sure having Johnny Depp anywhere near the project is "just right." He is a decent actor, but this can't be the Lone Ranger and Jack Sparrow. The Dynamite comics have shown that this property can be done for a modern audience, and done well. Tonto can be the "faithful indian companion" without being a stereotype. The Ranger can live by his creed and not come off as cheesey. No supernatural elements involved. A straight western about the lone survivor of an ambush who decides to wear a mask and fight for justice. That's how it needs to be done.

will.15 10-25-10 04:44 PM

If Depp plays Tonto it won't be a supporting role. And I doubt he would be playing it straight. Depp as the Ranger would make more sense, even though he is getting a lttle old for action hero.

MadMikeyD 10-25-10 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by will.15 (Post 688571)
If Depp plays Tonto it won't be a supporting role. And I doubt he would be playing it straight.
Exactly my fears...

Cinema Kaiju 10-26-10 02:11 PM

Will.15 indeed stated it clearly. Let's hope Depp hears the potential criticism and offers us something unique. We don't want another "Alice" on our hands.

genesis_pig 10-26-10 02:54 PM

After seeing the trailer for Depp's new movie The Tourist, I think it's become difficult for Depp to act normal, it's sort of become a fanservice now.

DexterRiley 10-26-10 05:27 PM

A white guy playing an Indian.

really?

Graham Greene should be cast as the lone ranger maybe.

will.15 10-26-10 06:02 PM

There was a time when it was rare when an actual Indian played an Indian in a movie. It is particularly bizarre for Depp to play Tonto because Tonto has always been played by an Indian on TV or television. The Injuns are going to be out there with their picket signs.

MadMikeyD 10-26-10 06:05 PM

Depp is allegedly something like 1/16 Cherokee, so that's supposed to make it ok. But, yeah, he'd be the first non-Native American actor to portray Tonto since John Todd on the original radio show.

PumaMan 10-26-10 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by will.15 (Post 688843)
The Injuns are going to be out there with their picket signs.
That's an offensive term for native North Americans.

Jenny Suski 10-28-10 06:44 AM

Pitt or Clooney for LR surely?

genesis_pig 10-28-10 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jenny Suski (Post 689398)
Pitt or Clooney for LR surely?
I would prefer someone younger like Ryan Gosling.

MadMikeyD 10-28-10 12:40 PM

James Marsden is who I've been voting for.

will.15 10-28-10 01:02 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2hjv8U5UBY

jammy47 10-29-10 09:34 AM

agree with madmike. James Marsden all the way!