Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   My Netflix DVD queue is empty! I need some good movie recomendations! (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=54409)

Citizen Rules 06-08-18 01:59 PM

My Netflix DVD queue is empty! I need some good movie recomendations!

My Netflix DVD queue is empty! So I need some good movie recommendations, that I will like!...If you suggest a film that I might like, I'll watch it and review it. I'm mainly looking for newer films from the last couple years to now.

I generally don't watch: Superhero movies, torture horror, extreme action/thrillers.

Siddon 06-08-18 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1908853)
My Netflix DVD queue is empty, so I need some good movie recommendations, that I will like!....and I'm picky:p...If you suggest a film that I might like, I'll watch it and review it on my review thread.

If you know my taste in films, you'll have the best shot at getting me to watch your recommendation. Here's some tips:

I usually get newer films from Netflix/DVD.com, but I'll consider older movies too. I like period pieces, historical based films and dramas best.

I generally don't watch: Hollywood block busters, action/thrillers, animation, superhero movies, graphic violence.

List of what I've watched and rated

Start suggesting!

Well that's two areas you should try and improve on.

What's your take on TV...

Foyle's War

Fortitude
Midsommer Murders
Luther

House of Cards

Another area that is worth taking a look is prestige pictures from the 1930's and 1940's

That Hamilton Woman
Jezebel
Great Expectations
Anthony Adverse
In Old Chicago
The Emperor Jones
Make Way for Tomorrow
A Tale of Two Cities
The Good Earth
San Francisco
Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
Going My Way
King's Row

Citizen Rules 06-08-18 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 1908880)
...What's your take on TV...
I don't have TV access. So never watch it.

Another area that is worth taking a look is prestige pictures from the 1930's and 1940's

That Hamilton Woman
Jezebel
Great Expectations
Anthony Adverse
In Old Chicago
The Emperor Jones
Make Way for Tomorrow
A Tale of Two Cities
The Good Earth
San Francisco
Going My Way
King's Row[/quote] Those are good choices, I've seen most. I haven't seen Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, I might look for that one.

UpgradeYourDad 06-08-18 03:43 PM

How about 1947’s Crossfire? I’m trying to watch more films that people ended up on the black list for:

A man is murdered, apparently by one of a group of demobilized soldiers he met in a bar. But which one? And why?

https://dvd.com/Movie/Crossfire/60010268

Citizen Rules 06-08-18 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by UpgradeYourDad (Post 1908896)
How about 1947’s Crossfire? I’m trying to watch more films that people ended up on the black list for:

A man is murdered, apparently by one of a group of demobilized soldiers he met in a bar. But which one? And why?

I love that one! Great Noir, and cool tag line too "Hate is Like a Loaded Gun". Gloria Grahame is awesome in it too.

UpgradeYourDad 06-08-18 04:41 PM

Re: My Netflix DVD queue is empty! I need some good movie recomendatio

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1908908)
Originally Posted by UpgradeYourDad (Post 1908896)

I love that one! Great Noir, and cool tag line too "Hate is Like a Loaded Gun". Gloria Grahame is awesome in it too.

It’s next up on my queue and I’m really excited about it

Stirchley 06-08-18 04:44 PM

Wow, I have 170 movies in my Netflix Q & 87 in my saved Q. Never had an empty Q.

@Citizen Rules, any movie I actually finish is a good movie if you want to have a quick look through recent entries in this thread.

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...0846&page=2217

Chypmunk 06-08-18 04:49 PM

Have you seen Monsieur Lazhar CR? Not entirely convinced it'd be your cup of tea but I found it quite worthwhile. Also no idea whether Netflix offer it on dvd or not :shrug:

Citizen Rules 06-08-18 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by UpgradeYourDad (Post 1908940)
It’s next up on my queue and I’m really excited about it
Let me know that you think of Crossfire. It would easily be in a Top Film Noir list, if I ever made one.

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 1908943)
Wow, I have 170 movies in my Netflix Q & 87 in my saved Q. Never had an empty Q.

@Citizen Rules, any movie I actually finish is a good movie if you want to have a quick look through recent entries in this thread.

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...0846&page=2217
I don't have Netflix streaming, so I have to choose wisely to my taste. I only get the DVDs in the mail so if I don't like it and shut it off, I have to watch some days before I get another. I'm trying to catch up on Rate The Movie You Watched Last Night.

Originally Posted by Chypmunk (Post 1908948)
Have you seen Monsieur Lazhar CR? Not entirely convinced it'd be your cup of tea but I found it quite worthwhile. Also no idea whether Netflix offer it on dvd or not :shrug:
Have not seen it, it looks decent.

Stirchley 06-08-18 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1908974)
I don't have Netflix streaming, so I have to choose wisely to my taste. I only get the DVDs in the mail so if I don't like it and shut it off, I have to watch some days before I get another.
Not sure how that relates to my post since I have the same plan as you.

The Rodent 06-08-18 06:19 PM

Ex_Machina
Moon (2009)
Blade Runner 2049

Citizen Rules 06-08-18 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 1908999)
Not sure how that relates to my post since I have the same plan as you.
I though you streamed movies from Netflix?

Originally Posted by The Rodent (Post 1909006)
Ex_Machina
Moon (2009)
Blade Runner 2049
Good choices:up: but I've seen them all. Moon was my favorite followed by Ex Machina.

HashtagBrownies 06-08-18 07:35 PM

I'm not too aware of your taste and I don't know what's on Netflix DVD but...

Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949): Dark comedy where Alec Guinness plays 9 characters.

Kes (1969): Extremely down-to-earth drama about a British boy and his kestrel.

Memento (2000): Mystery thriller that's told backwards.

The Before Trilogy (1995-2013): Dialogue heavy romance that leaves out all the gooey stuff and focuses on the brilliant characters.

Thelma and Louise (1991): Road crime film starring a fantastic duo that gets very emotional.

ashdoc 06-08-18 07:44 PM

Documentary wild wild country on Indian guru Osho Rajneesh.

Citizen Rules 06-08-18 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by HashtagBrownies (Post 1909027)
I'm not too aware of your taste and I don't know what's on Netflix DVD but...

Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949): Dark comedy where Alec Guinness plays 9 characters.

Kes (1969): Extremely down-to-earth drama about a British boy and his kestrel.

Memento (2000): Mystery thriller that's told backwards.

The Before Trilogy (1995-2013): Dialogue heavy romance that leaves out all the gooey stuff and focuses on the brilliant characters.

Thelma and Louise (1991): Road crime film starring a fantastic duo that gets very emotional.
Out of those I'm must interested in Thelma and Louise. I've never seen it. Thanks

Originally Posted by ashdoc (Post 1909028)
Documentary wild wild country on Indian guru Osho Rajneesh.
Ash, when I was a kid the Rajneesh was big news as he lived in the neighbor state, and some of his high key followers lived in my state.

Citizen Rules 06-08-18 11:41 PM

Mainly I'm looking for English language films from 2000 and up. I've got the old stuff covered pretty well, but I've not seen enough from this century.

gbgoodies 06-09-18 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1909084)
Mainly I'm looking for English language films from 2000 and up. I've got the old stuff covered pretty well, but I've not seen enough from this century.

You probably haven't seen the movie The Last Five Years (2014). It's a musical drama/rom-com about a breakup that's told in two different overlapping storylines. His storyline moves forward in time, while her storyline moves backwards in time.

It didn't get great reviews, but I liked it.

Tramuzgan 06-09-18 04:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Theophile 06-09-18 05:55 AM

How about:

Let Me In (2010)
Annihilation (2018)
Iron Sky (2012)
Never Let Me Go (2010)
We Bought a Zoo (2011)
and
The Cure for Wellness (2016).

Citizen Rules 06-09-18 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tramuzgan (Post 1909120)
Good choice! but I seen it, any others:)

Originally Posted by Theophile (Post 1909132)
How about:

Let Me In (2010)
Annihilation (2018)
Iron Sky (2012)
Never Let Me Go (2010)
We Bought a Zoo (2011)
and
The Cure for Wellness (2016).
I love Never Let Me Go!, I'm thinking abut We Bought A Zoo. And I will watch Iron Sky, sounds pretty fun!

Citizen Rules 06-09-18 02:37 PM

Keep the recommendations coming!:) I read about each movie you guys recommend and if I'm going to watch it in the near future, I list it on the 1st post. I might watch some of the other movies too, but that would be later on.

Siddon 06-09-18 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1908853)
I need some good movie recommendations, that I will like!....and I'm picky:p...If you suggest a film that I might like, I'll watch it and review it on my review thread. I'm mainly looking for newer films from the 2000s on.

I generally don't watch: Hollywood block busters, animation, superhero movies, graphic violence. List of what I've watched and rated

Your guys recommendations that I'll be watching:

The Last Five Years (2014) by @gbgoodies
Thelma and Louise (1991) by @HashtagBrownies
Iron Sky (2012) by @Theophile

No interest in Make Way For Tomorrow huh...

based on your lists, what you haven't seen but should like

Padora's Box

Heaven Knows Mr Allison
The Hole
The Devil and Daniel Webster
Le Samurai
The Long Goodbye
Serpico
Badlands
3 Women
Manhunter
Say Anything
Do The Right Thing
Heat
True Romance
25th Hour
The Royal Tennebaums
A History of Violence
Gone Baby Gone
Zodiac
Source Code
Looper

Citizen Rules 06-09-18 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 1909343)
No interest in Make Way For Tomorrow huh...
based on your lists, what you haven't seen but should like
It sounded good. I added it to my Too Watch list. I don't know when I'll get to it though.

Padora's Box...The silent film with Louise Brooks?
Heaven Knows Mr Allison...Seen it, great film.
Source Code...Seen it, I liked it

These are interesting to me. I had The Royal Tennebaums on my watch list. I haven't heard of 3 Women or Say Anything.
The Long Goodbye (1973)
3 Women (1977)
Say Anything (1989)
The Royal Tennebaums

Stirchley 06-11-18 03:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1909009)
I though you streamed movies from Netflix?
I go in & out of streaming along with 2 DVDs at one time. There are not enough streaming movies available. Out of the 180 movies in my Q, there may only be 6 or so to stream.

Can’t believe you haven’t seen Thelma & Louise. Seen it a million times.

This is a very sweet indie movie I saw at the weekend. Really very good.

Citizen Rules 06-11-18 03:59 PM

@Stirchley.

I was telling my wife about this thread she says we seen Thelma and Louise ages ago. I'm sure she's right, I have no memory! I swear after 5 years if I rewatch a movie it's like brand new to me.

Thanks for recommending Please Stand By, I was sold on it as soon as I read this at IMDB:
A young autistic woman runs away from her caregiver in an attempt to submit her manuscript to a "Star Trek" writing competition.
I'm a huge Star Trek fan and once started on a Star Trek novel. Adding it to the 1st post of movies I'm watching:up:

matt72582 06-11-18 04:18 PM

My friend just gave me his password, but all I've found are documentaries, and have seen the rest.. "Crossfire" is a great one.

@Citizen Rules - I'd love to hear ALL about the Rashneej.. I just saw "Wild Wild Country" and think all of it could have been avoided had it not been for the tight-arsed Antelope.

I know you like history, I saw some earlier.. I'll check back, as I would like more stuff to watch, and lately I haven't had the energy to watch movies.

Stirchley 06-11-18 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1909972)
Thanks for recommending Please Stand By, I was sold on it as soon as I read this at IMDB: I'm a huge Star Trek fan and once started on a Star Trek novel. Adding it to the 1st post of movies I'm watching:up:
So glad. Like I said before, I think you would like many of the movies I have posted in the last movie we saw thread. If I finish a movie - ergo, it’s good. :)

Citizen Rules 06-11-18 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 1909993)
So glad. Like I said before, I think you would like many of the movies I have posted in the last movie we saw thread. If I finish a movie - ergo, it’s good. :)
I'm actually going through the Last Movie You Saw thread from page one, and getting ideas. I'm reading about most all movies posted. I can do 10 pages a day, so I figure it's going to take me like 250 days to finish this idea. So far I'm on page 27 and have found at least a dozen movies I want to watch.

Citizen Rules 06-11-18 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 1909989)
...I know you like history, I saw some earlier.. I'll check back, as I would like more stuff to watch, and lately I haven't had the energy to watch movies.
I do like history, but I just realized I like lots of wacky stuff too. Just click the links to the 5 movies that I've decided to watch so far from this thread. Read the brief description at IMDB and that will tell you what strikes my fancy.

The Last Five Years (2014) by gbgoodies
Thelma and Louise (1991) by HashtagBrownies
Iron Sky (2012) by Theophile
3 Women (1977) by Siddon
Please Stand By (2017) by Stirchley

Stirchley 06-11-18 04:31 PM

@Citizen Rules, interesting choices. Haven’t seen the 1st or the 3rd, but #4 is very good.

Citizen Rules 06-11-18 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 1910001)
@Citizen Rules, interesting choices. Haven’t seen the 1st or the 3rd, but #4 is very good.
That's good to know. The 1st one was recommended by GBGoodies, she always seems to find movies I'll love. A movie she told me about that I though was extra special is: The Time Traveler's Wife (2009)

Have you seen that one?

Stirchley 06-11-18 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1910071)
Have you seen that one?
I never wanted to, for some reason. But I like the stars of this movie so am gonna put it in my Q ASAP.

matt72582 06-11-18 07:47 PM

I add things to "My List" but can never find them.. When I "enter" I'll see "My List", but it's definitely not complete, and underneath has to be "Trending Now" (ugh).. And if I'm searching inside a category and go left one step too much, my search is gone and I have to start from the top.

Citizen Rules 06-11-18 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 1910109)
I add things to "My List" but can never find them.. When I "enter" I'll see "My List", but it's definitely not complete, and underneath has to be "Trending Now" (ugh).. And if I'm searching inside a category and go left one step too much, my search is gone and I have to start from the top.
Matt, what site are you talking about? None of that sounds familiar to me.

matt72582 06-11-18 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1910183)
Matt, what site are you talking about? None of that sounds familiar to me.

Netflix - but I hear it's different depending on region. Then again, I put all the information through the TV, and never had a flat screen until a year ago.

(I can't believe my friend's mom is paying $200/month for Netflix!)

Citizen Rules 06-11-18 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 1910193)
Netflix - but I hear it's different depending on region.
OK, it must be Netflix streaming? I don't have that I have Netflix DVD.com and I just click to Add to my queue. Unless they list the movie but don't actually offer it:rolleyes: then I click Save (which does no good at all as I have over a 100 saved movies in my queue but Netflix/DVD.com will never get them in stock. I'd call that false advertising.

matt72582 06-11-18 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1910196)
OK, it must be Netflix streaming? I don't have that I have Netflix DVD.com and I just click to Add to my queue. Unless they list the movie but don't actually offer it:rolleyes: then I click Save (which does no good at all as I have over a 100 saved movies in my queue but Netflix/DVD.com will never get them in stock. I'd call that false advertising.

Maybe that's why they're BILLIONAIRES!

Stirchley 06-13-18 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1910196)
Unless they list the movie but don't actually offer it:rolleyes: then I click Save (which does no good at all as I have over a 100 saved movies in my queue but Netflix/DVD.com will never get them in stock. I'd call that false advertising.
I somewhat disagree. I have about 80 or so in save & I find that, eventually, quite a few of them roll out of my save list to my regular Q. Having said that, there are old movies that have been in save forever.

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 1910193)
I can't believe my friend's mom is paying $200/month for Netflix!
I don’t think that’s possible. Even with the most expensive dvd & streaming plans combined, one couldn’t pay more than $30 a month for Netflix. Maybe she meant the cost of multiple streaming platforms? HBO, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc., etc.

Citizen Rules 06-13-18 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 1910781)
I somewhat disagree. I have about 80 or so in save & I find that, eventually, quite a few of them roll out of my save list to my regular Q. Having said that, there are old movies that have been in save forever.
Yeah, most all of my saved are old movies. When I add a brand new release it will eventually be made available.

matt72582 06-13-18 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1910798)
Yeah, most all of my saved are old movies. When I add a brand new release it will eventually be made available.

Any classic movie recommendations? The 2-3 I found on Netflix yesterday were ones I saw a million times (Godfather)

hell_storm2004 06-13-18 03:25 PM

Raw is still available on Netflix if i am not wrong. You can give that a try if you haven't. Art of Loving was fun.

Citizen Rules 10-19-18 08:00 PM

Bump...it's October 19th and my Netflix queue is empty again, help! I need MORE movie suggestions.

If you suggest a film that I might like, I'll watch it and review it on my review thread. I'm mainly looking for newer films from the 2000s on.

I generally don't watch: Hollywood block busters, animation, superhero movies, graphic violence.
List of what I've watched and rated

Your guys recommendations that I'll be watching: Update in red

The Last Five Years (2014) by gbgoodies Haven't seen it yet.
Thelma and Louise (1991) by HashtagBrownies Loved it

Iron Sky (2012) by Theophile Dug it!

3 Women (1977) by Siddon Damn interesting!

Please Stand By (2017) by Stirchley Neat film!

Saunch 10-19-18 08:03 PM

1980’s but Once Upon a Time in America is up.

Stirchley 10-19-18 09:08 PM

@Citizen Rules, Lean on Pete, Phantom Thread, The Killing of a Sacred Deer, American Made, Stronger are a few movies I’ve enjoyed lately. Each one is excellent.

Glad you enjoyed Thelma & Louise. Seen it a million times. I love movies that grab you right away & take you on a journey.

matt72582 10-19-18 09:11 PM

"There Will Be Blood"

Citizen Rules 10-19-18 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 1961472)
@Citizen Rules, Lean on Pete, Phantom Thread, American Made, Stronger are a few movies I’ve enjoyed lately.
Thanks...I've seen Phantom Thread and liked it pretty well. I didn't care for Lean on Pete...

American Made & Stronger might be interesting. I'm undecided.

Stirchley 10-19-18 09:17 PM

I was sure you would like Pete. A flawed movie, for sure, but very good IMO.

American Made is worth watching just for Tom Cruise doing his own airplane flying. I’m watching Stronger as we speak & it’s a brilliant performance from Jake. I’m gonna read the book too.

Captain Steel 10-19-18 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 1961475)
"There Will Be Blood"
I'm still torn as to if There Will Be Blood is a great movie... or not.
It's certainly got some great and memorable scenes (so epic that they'll go down in movie history) and the acting was good!
But in between the couple of memorable scenes it felt like a bore-fest!
It's kind of like a really boring movie that ends with a bang (whereas a lot of really gripping movies, sadly fizzle out near the end).
This is why I'm torn.

But now I'm in the mood for a milkshake!

Captain Steel 10-19-18 09:44 PM

For Rules:

Since you don't like Superhero movies, have you ever seen The Crow (1994)?
Hard to call it a superhero movie per se, but it is based on a comic and is just an all around epic flick (it fits in well with the Halloween season). ;)
As a comic geek I do like superheroes and I like them sci-fi based - I don't care for supernatural comic book heroes, so I shouldn't like The Crow (was never attracted to the comics) but I really like the film version.
The sequels are forgettable mostly owing to the death of Brandon Lee - killed during filming of the first movie. The star's death in reality adds to a certain irony considering the lead character's story and the film's plot.

I think I recommended The Last Voyage (1960) to you - based on the sinking of the Andrea Doria - since we both like ship movies! Did you see that one yet?

Captain Steel 10-19-18 09:51 PM

Don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but my last post made me think of another fantasy film that can never happen -
Brandon Lee's The Crow vs. Heath Ledger's The Joker! Now that would be an iconic battle of face paint!
I think I'm about to have a geek-gasm just thinking about it! ;)

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/mp/v6CAHfHKvDnl.jpg

Citizen Rules 10-19-18 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1961489)

I think I recommended The Last Voyage (1960) to you - based on the sinking of the Andrea Doria - since we both like ship movies! Did you see that one yet?
I've seen There Will Be Blood, I can't really remember it, except I thought it was OK. Nope not seen The Crow, it does look kind of interesting, so maybe...But The Last Voyage, yahoo! I don't want it is about singing ships but movies based on that are often my favorites. Which is odd as I've been on a lot of ships! I find The Last Voyage and will watch it real soon. I'm excited, it looks good and I never had heard of it before.

Have you seen The Wreck of the Mary Deare We've might have talked about that before. I really liked it and reviewed too. It has Charlton Heston in the lead.

Captain Steel 10-19-18 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1961493)
I've seen There Will Be Blood, I can't really remember it, except I thought it was OK. Nope not seen The Crow, it does look kind of interesting, so maybe...But The Last Voyage, yahoo! I don't want it is about singing ships but movies based on that are often my favorites. Which is odd as I've been on a lot of ships! I find The Last Voyage and will watch it real soon. I'm excited, it looks good and I never had heard of it before.

Have you seen The Wreck of the Mary Deare We've might have talked about that before. I really liked it and reviewed too. It has Charlton Heston in the lead.
Yes, that one's on my list (love ship movies)!

Not to give too much away about the Last Voyage, but unlike most ship movies that focus either on the overall disaster (like A Night to Remember) or following an ensemble cast (think Poseidon Adventure), this move kind of focuses on one family and their particular dilemma as the clock ticks down. I'd compare it more to either of the movies titled Titanic which mostly follows one family or one couple, but it's not like those either. It's a nail-biter from that in-between movie era where the 50's was giving way to the 60's!

I like the Crow - not sure if it's for everybody - but it's kind of the comic book movie for people who hate superhero movies. ;) I shouldn't like it because it's got things I dislike: supernatural heroes, ghost stories, lots and lots of "dark" shots, people being all "goth"!
But it is still an action flick - it's quite violent, it's a revenge film, you get to see bad guys get theirs, and there's still a bit of sentimental stuff at its heart. Overall, a very satisfying crime-fighting movie that does not rely on a lot of special effects or CGI.

Captain Steel 10-19-18 10:54 PM

P.S. Can't wait to read your reviews of any of these movies!

Velvet 10-19-18 11:27 PM

Have you seen Young Mr. Lincoln?

Zotis 10-20-18 02:09 AM

I would recommend:

https://www.covercity.net/dcovers/12...c8ce5b4084ee64

Tiger House with Kaya Scodelario. It's a creative home invasion thriller.

and

https://www.dvdsreleasedates.com/pos...vie-poster.jpg

Thumper came out last year and was a really intense and realistic drama/thriller about drugs.

Captain Spaulding 10-20-18 04:58 AM

Judging by your lists section, there's still a lot of iconic films you've yet to see, so that might be an easy way to fill out your DVD queue. I think you might need to be temporarily removed as our 30's Countdown host until you've seen City Lights, since that's essential viewing. Hell, you might have to be revoked of your MoFo membership altogether until you've watched Chinatown. If I could recommend just one film to you, it'd be Paper Moon, which I guarantee you'll love.

It's difficult for me to recommend modern films to you since I feel like you're turned off by many aspects of modern filmmaking, or at least a lot of the content found within them. Mud is one of my favorites from this decade that I think you might like. It's a coming-of-age film that's sort of a modern retelling of Huckleberry Finn.

The Rodent 10-20-18 05:05 AM

You gotta see if you can get TerrorVision (1986) on there.

Best bad movie ever made.

The Rodent 10-20-18 05:10 AM

Better idea... check this out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gWW_LvuAYw

Citizen Rules 10-20-18 10:02 PM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!
Originally Posted by Saunch (Post 1961456)
1980’s but Once Upon a Time in America is up.
I might watch that someday, but the 3.5 hour run time is a bit of a challenge.

Originally Posted by Velvet (Post 1961512)
Have you seen Young Mr. Lincoln?
I haven't, sorry to say. I want to and I will as I plan on watching all the movies on the 1930s Countdown.

Originally Posted by Zotis (Post 1961530)
I would recommend:
Tiger House with Kaya Scodelario. It's a creative home invasion thriller.
and Thumper came out last year and was a really intense and realistic drama/thriller about drugs.
Thanks but I hate home invasion movies and I hate intense thrillers. I don't like feeling the emotion of tension and anxiety while I watch a film. I'm sure those are good but nope.

Originally Posted by The Rodent (Post 1961550)
You gotta see if you can get TerrorVision (1986) on there. Best bad movie ever made.
Could be, could be!

Citizen Rules 10-20-18 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding (Post 1961548)
Judging by your lists section, there's still a lot of iconic films you've yet to see, so that might be an easy way to fill out your DVD queue. I think you might need to be temporarily removed as our 30's Countdown host until you've seen City Lights, since that's essential viewing.
ha! I do love Chaplin's silent films that I've seen so far, so can keep hosting:p I do want to see City Lights.
Hell, you might have to be revoked of your MoFo membership altogether until you've watched Chinatown.
:eek: Be meaning too. I probably have seen bits of it on TV over the years but I don't recall it.
If I could recommend just one film to you, it'd be Paper Moon, which I guarantee you'll love.
I've seen that, but soooo many decades ago that I didn't cross it off my movie list, so that I would watch it again. I suspect I'd love it too.

It's difficult for me to recommend modern films to you since I feel like you're turned off by many aspects of modern filmmaking, or at least a lot of the content found within them.
That's true, especially in the last year or two I haven't really liked any new movies. But I did like a bunch of 2016. It seems to me that after 2016 movie styles have changed.

Mud is one of my favorites from this decade that I think you might like. It's a coming-of-age film that's sort of a modern retelling of Huckleberry Finn.
I've heard of that. That might work!

Captain Steel 10-20-18 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding (Post 1961548)
Judging by your lists section, there's still a lot of iconic films you've yet to see, so that might be an easy way to fill out your DVD queue. I think you might need to be temporarily removed as our 30's Countdown host until you've seen City Lights, since that's essential viewing. Hell, you might have to be revoked of your MoFo membership altogether until you've watched Chinatown. If I could recommend just one film to you, it'd be Paper Moon, which I guarantee you'll love.

It's difficult for me to recommend modern films to you since I feel like you're turned off by many aspects of modern filmmaking, or at least a lot of the content found within them. Mud is one of my favorites from this decade that I think you might like. It's a coming-of-age film that's sort of a modern retelling of Huckleberry Finn.
I also have still never seen Chinatown!
(Haven't seen City Lights or Mud either.)
But yeah, Paper Moon is a great film!

Citizen Rules 10-20-18 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1961722)
Hey, I got The Last Voyage, I should be able to watch it soon.

pahaK 10-20-18 10:28 PM

It is. Even I like it.

Zotis 10-20-18 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1961718)
Thanks but I hate home invasion movies and I hate intense thrillers. I don't like feeling the emotion of tension and anxiety while I watch a film. I'm sure those are good but nope.
That is so unbelievably lame.

Captain Spaulding 10-21-18 01:51 AM

That's understandable, though. Between stopping all those runaway trains and saving Lois Lane from falling to her death all the time, you probably don't have much time to watch movies.

Citizen Rules 10-21-18 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules
Originally Posted by Zotis (Post 1961727)
That is so unbelievably lame.
Sorry that another person's opinion upsets you so. Especially when I was cordial and thanked you. Really dude, you need to get over yourself, especially when I've been nice to you in the past.

seanc 10-21-18 05:19 PM

Lean On Pete, The Rider, Leave No Trace are recent releases I think you will enjoy.

Captain Spaulding 10-21-18 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1961885)
Lean On Pete, The Rider, Leave No Trace are recent releases I think you will enjoy.
CR just said on the previous page that he didn't care for Lean on Pete. Stop dozing off in class, sean!

seanc 10-21-18 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding (Post 1961887)
CR just said on the previous page that he didn't care for Lean on Pete. Stop dozing off in class, sean!
Nobody told me about prerequisite reading. Drop/fail

Citizen Rules 10-21-18 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1961885)
Thanks Sean. I've considered The Rider before, but seeing how you liked it I might watch it. I hadn't heard of Leave No Trace...we have a winner! I just read it's synopsis at IMDB and I want to see this, so I just added it to my queue. Excited about it.

Lean on Pete is a nom in the 17th Hof. I wrote this about it:
Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1951337)
Lean on Pete (2018)

I liked it, but didn't love it. I could have liked it a whole lot more with a few needed and simple tweaks. This felt like a Hallmark movie, and that's not a criticism. This felt like a Hallmark movie in that it was a very personal story of one determined teen boy Charley and his love for the race horse Pete, seemed like a subject matter of a PG rated Hallmark channel movie. I like those, when they're done well.

It could have had 20 minutes cut out as it felt too long for what was happening on the screen. By eliminating the scene of the two war veterans living in the middle of the desert the movie would've had better pacing. That scene added little to the overall movie, other than to hear the blonde girl get verbally hurt by her grandfather (what a jerk he was!). I guess the point was to say her only place to live wasn't all that great. Too much film footage for a 10 second pay off when she confides in Charley. It didn't need to be an R rating either, as nothing R rated really ever happens, so that feels dishonest to me as it's basically a PG13 movie with a few swear words.

In short, I liked the movie's theme and the actors, and the settings were nice too.

seanc 10-21-18 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1961895)
Thanks Sean. I've considered The Rider before, but seeing how you liked it I might watch it. I hadn't heard of Leave No Trace...we have a winner! I just read it's synopsis at IMDB and I want to see this, so I just added it to my queue. Excited about it.

Lean on Pete is a nom in the 17th Hof. I wrote this about it:
Leave No Trace reminds me in tone of a Kelly Reichardt film. I will be surprised if you don't like it. I will try and think of some more. Maybe a Marvel film or two. ;)

Citizen Rules 10-21-18 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1961898)
Leave No Trace reminds me in tone of a Kelly Reichardt film. I will be surprised if you don't like it. I will try and think of some more. Maybe a Marvel film or two. ;)
Thanks!

I love Marvel:p

Zotis 10-22-18 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1961882)
Sorry that another person's opinion upsets you so. Especially when I was cordial and thanked you. Really dude, you need to get over yourself, especially when I've been nice to you in the past.
What are you talking about? I'm upset? This is news to me... What opinion supposedly upset me and who's?

Anyway, I'm actually really happy that you trampled my gifts. Usually when I give people recs I hope they'll make excuses and not even consider giving them a fair chance. Those are the people I continue giving recs to. I noticed you watched Annihilation btw. Anyway, enjoy your Marvel movies pleb.

Diehl40 10-24-18 11:17 PM

Here are some movies that have been released since 2000, that you may or may not have watched yet.Some are popular, but if you are like me being popular is usually a negative, until I have a recommendation from someone I trust.

Scotland PA- Sundance entry- retelling of the Macbeth story
Pan's Labyrinth
Reefer Madness-The Musical
Bottle Shock 2008
Inception 2010
Jim Jarmusch-Ghost Dog-The way of the Samarai-1999 (If you are not familiar with Jarmusch check out Down by Law and Mystery Train)
Juno 2007
American Hustle 2013.

Citizen Rules 10-25-18 09:37 PM

Thanks @Diehl40 I've seen and really liked Juno, and I liked Inception too. I recently watched Pan's Labyrinth, I was middle of the road on that one, but I can see how people would enjoy it.

...That looks crazy:p and it could be fun too, I should watch the original first as I've never seen it.

Ghost Dog-The way of the Samarai-1999...I've been meaning to watch more Jarmusch films. I really enjoyed Mystery Train and Night on Earth and Dead Man too.

American Hustle
.... Been meaning to watch this as I like both Christian Bale and Amy Adams.

Bottle Shock (2008)...Never heard of it, but the subject matter looks interesting! My kind of film and I just added it to my Netflix queue.

Scotland, Pa. (2001)...That looks like my kind of movie! I love those well made, small indie films. I think I'll like it and so I just added it to my Netflix queue.

So that's 2 movies I'll be watching soon and I might catch the others one's later. Good choices, thanks:)

Citizen Rules 10-25-18 09:39 PM

Anybody else got some recommendations? They can be older films, I love really old stuff.

Diehl40 10-26-18 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1963009)
Thanks @Diehl40 I've seen and really liked Juno, and I liked Inception too. I recently watched Pan's Labyrinth, I was middle of the road on that one, but I can see how people would enjoy it.

...That looks crazy:p and it could be fun too, I should watch the original first as I've never seen it.

Ghost Dog-The way of the Samarai-1999...I've been meaning to watch more Jarmusch films. I really enjoyed Mystery Train and Night on Earth and Dead Man too.

American Hustle
.... Been meaning to watch this as I like both Christian Bale and Amy Adams.

Bottle Shock (2008)...Never heard of it, but the subject matter looks interesting! My kind of film and I just added it to my Netflix queue.

Scotland, Pa. (2001)...That looks like my kind of movie! I love those well made, small indie films. I think I'll like it and so I just added it to my Netflix queue.

So that's 2 movies I'll be watching soon and I might catch the others one's later. Good choices, thanks:)

My wife and I always watch Sideways and Bottle Shock together. The only thing they have in common is the California's winery's, but they compliment each other nicely. (If you have not seen sideways add it)

Reefer Madness is great, however there is something to offend just about everybody. The Musical pokes fun at the original so you may let that influence whether you feel you need to watch it.

Scotland PA was a SunDance entry. It is not the best movie, but it is very entertaining, and Christopher Walken is crazy as can be expected.

Citizen Rules 10-26-18 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Diehl40 (Post 1963034)
My wife and I always watch Sideways and Bottle Shock together. The only thing they have in common is the California's winery's, but they compliment each other nicely. (If you have not seen sideways add it).
How many times do you reckon you've watched Sideways and Bottle Shock together? I've only seen Sideways once, but yes great film!

Stirchley 10-26-18 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1963100)
I've only seen Sideways once, but yes great film!
Just watched Chappaquiddick. I think you might enjoy it.

Citizen Rules 10-26-18 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 1963187)
That could be a possibility, thanks.

Captain Steel 10-26-18 06:36 PM

This is an old recommendation, but when I think of Noir, I think of you, Citizen!
And when I think of Noir comedy, I think of the only one anyone thinks of: Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (1982).

It's kind of a requisite for anyone versed in Noir, and I've still yet to find another movie that utilizes the same gimmick through an entire film!
Plus, it's pretty funny too.

Diehl40 10-26-18 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1963100)
How many times do you reckon you've watched Sideways and Bottle Shock together? I've only seen Sideways once, but yes great film!

At least 4. I would rather watch the same good movie several times, rather than just watch something for the hell of it. I must have 50-100 movies I've watched 3+ times. Why buy the DVD to watch it once. Maybe that would be a good thread poll.

Citizen Rules 10-26-18 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1963292)
This is an old recommendation, but when I think of Noir, I think of you, Citizen!
And when I think of Noir comedy, I think of the only one anyone thinks of: Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (1982).

It's kind of a requisite for anyone versed in Noir, and I've still yet to find another movie that utilizes the same gimmick through an entire film!
Plus, it's pretty funny too.
I know! I know!:p You've told me about that one before, and I always say I will watch it, but I never do!

One of these days....

Originally Posted by Diehl40 (Post 1963311)
At least 4. I would rather watch the same good movie several times, rather than just watch something for the hell of it. I must have 50-100 movies I've watched 3+ times. Why buy the DVD to watch it once. Maybe that would be a good thread poll.
I like to space out my movie viewings, though one time I liked a film so much I watched it two nights in a row.

Citizen Rules 11-03-18 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1961898)
Leave No Trace reminds me in tone of a Kelly Reichardt film. I will be surprised if you don't like it. I will try and think of some more...
I just seen Leave No Trace and loved it! My wife really liked the movie too. It's been a long time since I seen a new release film that really engaged me. It was honest story telling, done without cliches and usage of the latest cinema trends. I though it was refreshing. Good recommendation:up:

KeyserCorleone 11-03-18 04:09 PM

I see you haven't reviewed Children of Men, Se7en, No Country for Old Men, the Kill Bill movies or The Godfather Part III. And you should give those Godfather movies another shot first. Most of these movies aren't all that graphic. The first Kill Bill is but the violence is very toned down in the second.

Try the Truman Show, Million Dollar Baby, and Gran Torino. I'll think of more for you.

HashtagBrownies 11-03-18 04:37 PM

? Holy crap! You really liked my one!

Citizen Rules 11-03-18 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by KeyserCorleone (Post 1965193)
I see you haven't reviewed Children of Men, Se7en, No Country for Old Men, the Kill Bill movies or The Godfather Part III. And you should give those Godfather movies another shot first. Most of these movies aren't all that graphic. The first Kill Bill is but the violence is very toned down in the second.

Try the Truman Show, Million Dollar Baby, and Gran Torino. I'll think of more for you.
Thanks KeyserCorleone:) I've seen those 3 that I bolded and really liked them all. Someday I'll have to see Godfather III, I know people tend not to like it as much, but who knows I might like it better than Godfather I & II.

Citizen Rules 11-03-18 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by HashtagBrownies (Post 1965196)
? Holy crap! You really liked my one!
I just loved it! So much so that I watched it again the next night with the commentary track by Susan Sarandon and Geena Davis...that was fun as they were so funny and told lots of great stories about making the film.

KeyserCorleone 11-03-18 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1965199)
Thanks KeyserCorleone:) I've seen those 3 that I bolded and really liked them all. Someday I'll have to see Godfather III, I know people tend not to like it as much, but who knows I might like it better than Godfather I & II.

Yeah, most people say it's the worst of the three, but I'm a bit of a Coppola nut. I found greatness in all of his movies I've seen. The third one gets more personal with the Corleone family, as opposed to the "business" that the first two centered around. And without giving away spoilers, I found the ending very effective. It makes the cast perfect again.

Citizen Rules 11-03-18 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by KeyserCorleone (Post 1965209)
Yeah, most people say it's the worst of the three, but I'm a bit of a Coppola nut. I found greatness in all of his movies I've seen.

The third one gets more personal with the Corleone family, as opposed to the "business" that the first two centered around. And without giving away spoilers, I found the ending very effective. It makes the cast perfect again.
Ahh, that's helpful because I liked the first part of The Godfather when it was about the family as it was more personal, so I'll add The Godfather III to my watch list.

Citizen Rules 11-04-18 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1961489)
...I recommended The Last Voyage (1960) to you - based on the sinking of the Andrea Doria - since we both like ship movies!...
I just watched The Last Voyage last night, wow! A very impressive and ultra realistic movie that was both exciting and gripping! I mean it starts off on an old cruise ship with George Sanders as a stubborn captain. I loved the way one small disaster, leads to the next bigger disaster and through it all the captain thinks he can keep a lid on it and so doesn't evacuate the passengers.

What blew me away was how real the sets looked, especially the exterior shots of the ship sinking. I freeze framed the DVD and realized that was a real full size luxury liner that they were sinking! Damn who needs CG when you got the real ship to blow up and sink. I of course loved seeing the inside of the ship it was almost like taking a sea cruise.

Thanks for the recommendation:up:

Captain Steel 11-04-18 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1965362)
I just watched The Last Voyage last night, wow! A very impressive and ultra realistic movie that was both exciting and gripping! I mean it starts off on an old cruise ship with George Sanders as a stubborn captain. I loved the way one small disaster, leads to the next bigger disaster and through it all the captain thinks he can keep a lid on it and so doesn't evacuate the passengers.

What blew me away was how real the sets looked, especially the exterior shots of the ship sinking. I freeze framed the DVD and realized that was a real full size luxury liner that they were sinking! Damn who needs CG when you got the real ship to blow up and sink. I of course loved seeing the inside of the ship it was almost like taking a sea cruise.

Thanks for the recommendation:up:
Some pieces of trivia (that are really astounding) from IMDB:

The ship used by the filmmakers was the SS Ile de France, the famous French liner that cruised the Atlantic from 1926-59. She was leased for $4,000 a day. After shooting completed, she was re-floated (having been partially sunk for the film) and towed to the scrap yard. She has a more heroic place in history, however. It was she that played a major role in the rescue of the passengers from the Italian liner Andrea Doria in 1956, after the latter ship collided with the Swedish ship Stockholm and sank off the coast of Nantucket, Massachusetts. She was the first ship to arrive at the scene of the collision and immediately began taking aboard the Andrea Doria's passengers.
22 of 22 found this interesting

According to maritime historian William J. Miller, the famed French Line was so horrified that its former flagship would be used in such a way that it demanded that the Ile de France's name be removed from her bow and that in no way would any references be made to them.

Captain Steel 11-11-18 09:22 PM

Are you still looking for suggestions, Rules?

Citizen Rules 11-11-18 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1967020)
Are you still looking for suggestions, Rules?
I am, and older stuff it good too.

Larry 11-12-18 05:38 AM

I only got Netflix last week. It’s pretty amazing. This is a good thread to keep going imo.

Larry 11-12-18 05:39 AM

Not a movie but just finished the sinner s1 which you guys are prob all over. Loved it. Special show.

Captain Steel 11-12-18 03:16 PM

Maybe I'm thinking of this because of Veterans' Day (or maybe because I was a fan of Powers Boothe)... but for some reason I remembered Southern Comfort (1981).

Don't know if it would be up Rules' alley, but think Platoon meets Deliverance! (well... not really, it's not as good as either of those movies) ;)

The plot is a platoon of National Guard on an exercise in the Bayou. They only have blanks in their weapons so they are essentially unarmed. One of the Guardsmen thinks it a funny prank to fire blanks at some Cajuns on shore - the Cajuns don't take kindly to that kind of humor and... well, you can figure out where it goes from there as the soldiers become the prey. It's in the thriller / survival genre.

I may only have liked this movie due to the age I was when I first saw it... don't know if it's held up over time.

Citizen Rules 11-12-18 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1967164)
Maybe I'm thinking of this because of Veterans' Day (or maybe because I was a fan of Powers Boothe)... but for some reason I remembered Southern Comfort (1981).

Don't know if it would be up Rules' alley, but think Platoon meets Deliverance! (well... not really, it's not as good as either of those movies) ;)

The plot is a platoon of National Guard on an exercise in the Bayou. They only have blanks in their weapons so they are essentially unarmed. One of the Guardsmen thinks it a funny prank to fire blanks at some Cajuns on shore - the Cajuns don't take kindly to that kind of humor and... well, you can figure out where it goes from there as the soldiers become the prey. It's in the thriller / survival genre.

I may only have liked this movie due to the age I was when I first saw it... don't know if it's held up over time.
I remember Southern Comfort with Keith Carradine. I seen it first run at the movie theater. I think it was on a date. I don't remember it all except that the guys were in a swamp and fighting off bad guys. I didn't even remember that it was Cajuns or that they were National Guardsman. It sounds kind of fun, I should see it again. After all it's only been 37 years, OMG! That's a long time.

Captain Steel 11-13-18 05:50 PM

Another good war-themed movie, in case you haven't seen it, is Rescue Dawn (2006) - a true POW story from the Vietnam War starring Christian Bale.
I'm not a big Bale fan, but the movie is good - a bit gut wrenching at times.
Notable is a dramatic performance by usually-comedic actor Steve Zahn.

Citizen Rules 11-30-18 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 1963187)
Good recommendation:up: I watched that a few days ago and thought it was pretty good. Mainly because I'm interested in history and recent events, so even though it was a movie it still gave me insight into the whole events of Chappaquiddick.