Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   The Television & Music Forum (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Gomorrah (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=49522)

Stirchley 06-05-17 07:07 PM

Gomorrah

1 Attachment(s)

Excellent Italian series.

FromBeyond 06-06-17 11:51 AM

Re: Gomorrah

Loved the movie and will have to get into this just need to find the time
http://www.collider.com/uploads/imag...vie_poster.jpg

Have you seen it Stirch?

Stirchley 06-07-17 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by FromBeyond (Post 1713641)
Have you seen it Stirch?
Loved it though needed people at IMDb.com to sort out some plot details that were lost in translation. In fact, I have put it in a watchlist to stream again.

The series is terrific. Only 2 seasons, 12 episodes each.

ScarletLion 06-08-17 08:50 AM

I've been banging the Gomorrah drum on here for the last few years now. It's the best tv series I've seen since The Wire.

Season 3 is due to air in November. I can not wait.

Stirchley 06-09-17 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 1714980)
I've been banging the Gomorrah drum on here for the last few years now. It's the best tv series I've seen since The Wire.

Season 3 is due to air in November. I can not wait.
I searched for any other mention of Gomorrah, but could not find any.

I did not know it would have a third season. Excellent to know. :cool:

Camo 06-09-17 03:39 PM

I like the movie quite a bit and semi-regularly read up on the real life Camorra so i should really get to this soon.

ScarletLion 06-09-17 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 1715722)
I searched for any other mention of Gomorrah, but could not find any.

I did not know it would have a third season. Excellent to know. :cool:
That'll probably be my fault for spelling it wrong:

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...archid=6024671

Stirchley 06-09-17 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 1715745)
That'll probably be my fault for spelling it wrong
No biggie. It's one of those words that has more than one correct spelling.

ScarletLion 06-09-17 06:01 PM

Either way it's an incredible piece of tv.

Stirchley 06-09-17 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 1715846)
Either way it's an incredible piece of tv.
Obviously no spoilers, but do you have a fave character? I love Ciro, but I think Gennaro might be my fave so far.

ScarletLion 06-10-17 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 1715854)
Obviously no spoilers, but do you have a fave character? I love Ciro, but I think Gennaro might be my fave so far.
Genny. His transformation is great to watch. The actor that plays him is quite active on Twitter too and likes interacting with fans.

Nestorio_Miklos 06-10-17 06:42 AM

i used to live in that neighborhood for a little while - Secondigliano. It is all so real how they described it in the movie and series.

Stirchley 06-12-17 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 1716216)
Genny. His transformation is great to watch. The actor that plays him is quite active on Twitter too and likes interacting with fans.
Daft question, but does he speak English by any chance?

Originally Posted by Nestorio_Miklos (Post 1716217)
i used to live in that neighborhood for a little while - Secondigliano. It is all so real how they described it in the movie and series.
No kidding. So you're Italian?

Stirchley 06-16-17 04:46 PM

Wowser! What an amazing show. Just finished season 2 & cannot wait for season 3. Best show I have seen since Breaking Bad & I have seen some good shows.

ScarletLion 09-13-17 08:46 AM

CONFIRMED: Season 3 debuts on 17 November.

Cannot wait. It's the best thing on tv.

https://68.media.tumblr.com/8c74ced8...ob6ro1_400.gif

honeykid 09-14-17 12:45 PM

I still have most of series 2 to watch, but I loved the first series. I think it was the best thing on TV at the time and series 3 probably will be again.

Stirchley 10-18-17 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 1776370)
CONFIRMED: Season 3 debuts on 17 November.

Cannot wait. It's the best thing on tv.
Just re-watched the first 2 seasons. Amazing show. Very naturalistic like The Wire was.

ScarletLion 12-11-17 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 1804090)
Just re-watched the first 2 seasons. Amazing show. Very naturalistic like The Wire was.
Season 3 is absolutely brutal already. Stunningly shot too

https://i.imgur.com/CI3wcTR.gif

Stirchley 12-11-17 03:51 PM

So looking forward to season 3. Not available in America yet & it will be a long wait for the dvd to come out, which is what I want. Best show I’ve seen all year.

Camo 12-14-17 03:54 PM

Watched the first episode of this, was good looking forward to more. Will probably take me a while to catch up though as i've not got much time for tv right now. I'm generally more interested in the Sicilians, US Mafia and 'Ndrangheta but the Camorra are fascinating in their own right and of course they are the only ones who have a well made show like this about them.

Didn't expect what's his name to die, i liked and was looking forward to more from him. I knew someone big was going to die right away but i figured it would be Pietro's son. Obviously it makes sense giving Ciro even more reason to be against Pietro. Liked the look of the first episode, the contrast between the grimy and rundown streets and Pietro's mansion largely built off the exploitation and suffering of those poor areas. The bomb scene was insane, i want to know what that guy was going to say :laugh: Anyway good stuff so far, looking forward to more.

Camo 12-14-17 10:47 PM

Watched Episode 2, again very good. This took a big turn Pietro's character in particular. The first episode he seemed like an out of touch/largely hands off boss sitting up in his mansion while the others do everything. Really didn't expect how deeply involved he was in everything in this episode, i mean on a street level i always expected him to give the orders but that was it from the first episode. I have always had a problem with bosses committing their own murders because it's something that very rarely happens in real life. The Sopranos was pretty bad for it, think the only person who personally killed (on screen) more people than Tony on that show was Christopher, and from the start Tony was Underboss/Acting Boss and seen as the real power in the family. Murders like Ralph could be excused as that was a heat of the moment fight but most of the others seemed to be just to show off that Tony was a bada55. Like the Matthew Bevilaqua murder; i get it Christopher was like a son to him and he wanted revenge, but that's a very Hollywood thing the boss going out and doing it himself. There's plenty of examples of Mob Bosses getting revenge for relatives murders and practically none are done by the boss personally. The only similar example i can think of in real life is then Lucchese Consiglieri Anthony Casso personally killing one of the guys who tried to kill him, but he was one of the biggest psychopaths the mob ever had, Tony wasn't. Anyway sorry for going on about The Sopranos haha. That's just what i thought of when Pietro killed the guy himself. Obviously it was to show what he's like as the main story in the episode was him passing things over to his weak and spoiled son. Also i'm clearly getting too wrapped up in how realistic it is, i'll get over it like i did with The Sopranos it's just difficult at first as i read about the real life stuff.

I also like the path they are going with his son. He is typically weak and spoiled but he seems to want to stand on his own two feet that's a bit different from how it usually is. I also like that while he's spoiled he is also kind of likeable at least so far through his relationship with Ciro. The best thing about this episode was them instantly throwing likeability out the window, that's how crime shows like this should be done. Characters like Tony Soprano and Walter White were obviously always violent criminals so likeable may not be the right word but they were given positive qualities and their ruthlessness was largely held back in the early seasons or done as neccessity to excuse them. Here Ciro brutally executes some poor junkie as training basically and it's clearly nothing to him, tells you instantly that these guys are sociopathic scumbags without attempting to dance around it for a while or offer any grey area.

I'm guessing Pietro's wife will become boss/acting boss at some point, she is clearly alot like Pietro. Whether it's officially or not i'm guessing she'll be the real power behind Genny if he survives which i'm guessing he will. That has happened in the 'Ndrangheta before with both wives and sisters taking over for their imprisoned brothers/husband, the 'Ndrangheta are just about strictly family based alot more than the Sicilians or Camorra; each Clan is usually purely blood related there have been exceptions but very few. These criminal orginizations especially Italian ones typically have strict rules that they take very seriously so it's possible that's against Camorra rules, i'm not sure. Either way she is obviously going to be very influential with Pietro in prison.
'

Camo 12-15-17 08:27 PM

Episode 3 was great. Not sure what to say other than it's not got into 41Bis yet, i imagine that's in later episodes. Pietro is perfect in this episode, he has the idea that he's untouchable and way above the people imprisoning him. With Giuletti he probably was but these old mafia bosses got a rude awakening when they attempted to fight their government by bombing and assassinating judges and bank bosses, that was largely a Sicillian thing but it extended to Naples and Calbria in their crackdown. Basically don't fight the government was the lesson there as they were quickly wiped out and Sicillians formerly terrified to admit there even is a mafia started going to the police any time they tried to extort their business.

In America there's a similar regime in say ADX Florence, a prison mostly full of Terrorists actual genuine threats to society, Vincent Basciano is an Italian-American prisoner there. I don't care he's obviously a scumbag who deserves to die but the idea that he deserves those provisions is hilarious. he's there because he apparently tried to have a Judge killed, the informant who came out with that information has since been severely discredited. The Government has lost their last dozen or so cases against these Mafia members because their informants were junkies or whatever. It's interesting wondering what would happen in some of these cases if they happened just ten years earlier.

ScarletLion 12-22-17 07:29 AM

Season 3 Episode 9. I'm in bits. What an episode of tv.

Stirchley 12-22-17 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 1842677)
Season 3 Episode 9. I'm in bits. What an episode of tv.
Darn. Still not available in America.

ScarletLion 12-22-17 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 1842827)
Darn. Still not available in America.
I had to use my internet skills. I couldn't wait.

Stirchley 12-22-17 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 1842838)
I had to use my internet skills. I couldn't wait.
Internet skills in what way?

ScarletLion 12-22-17 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 1842856)
Internet skills in what way?
Downloading them in HD, playing though my media box and syncing the subtitles. Naughty but nice.

ScarletLion 12-28-17 09:10 AM

Absolutely brilliant series yet again. The season finale was as touching as it was shocking. Here are some cinemagraphs I made:

[may contain spoilers]

https://imgur.com/a/BmQom

https://i.imgur.com/lyblGH6.gif

Stirchley 12-29-17 03:20 PM

Be careful with spoilers since season 3 is not available in America yet.

Stirchley 01-24-18 08:28 PM

Hooray! Pre-ordered season 3 from the UK, which will be released March 6. So glad I bought a multi-region DVD player.

Stirchley 01-31-18 06:26 PM

Greatest gif. Ever.

https://mir-s3-cdn-cf.behance.net/pr...eb8c8f0674.gif

Stirchley 06-08-18 12:19 PM

https://mir-s3-cdn-cf.behance.net/pr...eb8c8efd18.gif

https://mir-s3-cdn-cf.behance.net/pr...eb8c8f03bb.gif

Just finished season 3. Amazing show.

ScarletLion 02-14-19 06:01 PM

season 4 trailer:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...-watch-1186731

John-Connor 02-14-19 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 1990129)
March, can't wait!

Stirchley 02-15-19 02:07 PM

Me either. It’s gonna be real hard though without Ciro. I loved him.

John-Connor 02-15-19 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 1990306)
Me either. It’s gonna be real hard though without Ciro. I loved him.
Exactly, 'Immortale' is one of my favorite TV characters ever.

Stirchley 02-15-19 02:22 PM

So pissed he’s out of the show. No American show would kill off a main lead while the show is running. Yes, he’s gonna be directing some parts of the show, but I could care less.

JoaoRodrigues 03-07-19 06:39 AM

SEASON 4 - OFFICIAL TRAILER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iohtsbO5h0I
This is without any question one of the best crime related series ever made, only The Wire.
I'm not from that environment, but I believe that is depicted the new reality of today's mafia.

I didn't like Ciro's death, obviously, but I believe script wise was inevitable.

Stirchley 03-08-19 02:53 PM

Can’t wait for season 4.

Stirchley 08-09-19 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 1995055)
Can’t wait for season 4.
Which took forever on dvd & which I had to buy from the UK.

honeykid 08-10-19 10:12 AM

Naturally, it's an excellent series. Stirch, I think you're going to like it a lot. :up: Don't worry, that's all I'm going to say unless you comment on what you've seen. :)

Stirchley 08-12-19 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 2029079)
Naturally, it's an excellent series. Stirch, I think you're going to like it a lot. :up: Don't worry, that's all I'm going to say unless you comment on what you've seen. :)
1st season without Ciro, which will be v. hard for me. :(

ScarletLion 08-13-19 05:03 AM

It is excellent, there is 1 minor blip early on and it takes a while to get going but it's great as ever.

There's a new movie called 'Piranhas' which has very similar subject matter

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8740778...1?ref_=nv_sr_1

Stirchley 01-20-20 02:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just watched (twice) the 1st 3 episodes. Missed this show so much.

WARNING: spoilers below
Can’t decide who is scarier: Gennaro the gangsta or Genarro the upright citizen. Interesting tack the show has taken to show a different side of Gennaro. Loving it so far.

@ScarletLion, what “minor blip” are you talking about? If it’s not in the 1st 3 episodes, don’t tell me.

PLEASE, NO SPOILERS!

My cat KANDY freakin loves this show.

Stirchley 01-20-20 02:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Forgot to mention. Look who’s gonna be in Fargo season 4 in April. This I gotta see. :)

John-Connor 01-20-20 03:54 PM

Enjoy this season, i'm sure it won't disappoint. Your cat is so gangster, my cat only watches soccer :p. Can't wait to see Gennaro in Fargo! :up:

Sarge 01-20-20 04:18 PM

Do love Gomorrah.

Stirchley 01-20-20 04:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Do you guys know the name of this beautiful London building where Alberto & Gennaro meet in eppy 4? Crap screenshot, I know.

Stirchley 01-20-20 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Sarge (Post 2059715)
Do love Gomorrah.
Gennaro takes on the Brits. Fun. 😎🇬🇧

Stirchley 01-20-20 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2059720)
Do you guys know the name of this beautiful London building where Alberto & Gennaro meet in eppy 4? Crap screenshot, I know.

Never mind. It’s St. Pancras. :)

Stirchley 01-20-20 08:44 PM

Crud, Nicola has gone. Loved him. :(

ScarletLion 01-21-20 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2059672)
Just watched (twice) the 1st 3 episodes. Missed this show so much.

Can’t decide who is scarier: Gennaro the gangsta or Genarro the upright citizen. Interesting tack the show has taken to show a different side of Gennaro. Loving it so far.

@ScarletLion, what “minor blip” are you talking about? If it’s not in the 1st 3 episodes, don’t tell me.

PLEASE, NO SPOILERS!

My cat KANDY freakin loves this show.

I didn't like the London episode. It was full of cliched characters acting terribly.

Stirchley 01-22-20 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 2059814)
I didn't like the London episode. It was full of cliched characters acting terribly.
I did have my own doubts about this episode. Definitely an outlier.

Watched it again & liked it better though it’s somewhat far-fetched & contrived. I suppose the point of it was to show that a decent cup of coffee is not to be found in London (so untrue) & that Brits are as criminally-minded as Italians are (which may or may not be true).

Gennaro & Azzurra both said that London makes them anxious. Judging by this episode, I can see why. :rolleyes:

ScarletLion 01-22-20 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2060081)
I did have my own doubts about this episode. Definitely an outlier.

Watched it again & liked it better though it’s somewhat far-fetched & contrived. I suppose the point of it was to show that a decent cup of coffee is not to be found in London (so untrue) & that Brits are as criminally-minded as Italians are (which may or may not be true).

Gennaro & Azzurra both said that London makes them anxious. Judging by this episode, I can see why. :rolleyes:
Bloody brexit

Stirchley 01-22-20 07:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Patrizia’s wedding day & Gennaro gave her away. She didn’t look too happy to be getting married (don’t know why), but she looked bellissima!

Stirchley 01-24-20 01:57 PM

https://i.imgur.com/tBGgnSP.gif

When @ScarletLion created this cinematograph I had no idea this was Patrizia on her wedding day. Standing with her SIL. So fabulous to see it on my DVD yesterday.

Stirchley 01-27-20 02:35 PM

Finished season 4. Brilliant. MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW.

Cannot believe Patrizia is out of the show (at the actress’s request). Bad news as she was my favorite. Annoying.

What did we think of Gennaro murdering her & her unborn daughter Bianca? I was so shocked. Gennaro was livid with anger when his father killed Ciro’s young daughter & here he goes & kills an unborn baby & her mother. Seemed out of character to me & not believable.

Azzurra becomes more & more like Lady Macbeth.

Stirchley 01-27-20 03:29 PM

Two amusing things about Italy. One, you can smoke on the grounds of a kindergarten. Would never be allowed in America. Second, no one uses a swimming pool cover or fence even with a toddler in the house. :eek:

ScarletLion 01-27-20 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2061030)

Cannot believe Patrizia is out of the show (at the actress’s request). Bad news as she was my favorite. Annoying.

What did we think of Gennaro murdering her & her unborn daughter Bianca? I was so shocked. Gennaro was livid with anger when his father killed Ciro’s young daughter & here he goes & kills an unborn baby & her mother. Seemed out of character to me & not believable.

It was shocking but in keeping with the rest of the show. We've almost gone full circle now.

I'm looking forward to the 'Immortal' film about Ciro.

Stirchley 01-27-20 04:32 PM

Me too, but have no clue when l’immortale is actually coming to America or when a dvd might become available. Couldn’t find a thing online yesterday.

honeykid 01-28-20 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2061030)

WARNING: "Spoilers" spoilers below
I thought it was obvious. I was waiting for it the whole episode. I'd have been more surprised if it hadn't happened.

I wasn't that enamoured with that whole storyline (his uncle) and his son was really pissing me off.

As SL said, he's now his father. That's what happens. You're young and idealistic, then you get responsibility and power and end up doing what 'has to be done' and, like those before you, you rationalise it and swallow your principles. With Ciro gone, he's lost his moral compass. Now, Ciro wasn't an angel, but he learnt the lesson first time around, partly because he was his own man. So when he lost all that meant something to him, he didn't have anyone to be strong for and could see more clearly.

I think you're right about Azzurra too. I pegged Patrizia for that role last season, but they made her more complicated than that. Azzurra fits perfectly, having always been at the top table, so to speak.

Stirchley 01-29-20 03:54 PM

⬆️ I kinda liked the introduction of the uncle & his family. LOVED their house & the birds. Decrepit past splendor.

A couple of thoughts for season 5: I hope that the uncle’s young daughter will be given a rôle to play. Not just her 2 brothers.

I predict that Titziana (airport CEO) & Azzurra will begin to clash. I think that Titziana may be “flying” into turbulence as most people do when aligned with Gennaro. I don’t think Gennaro would ever have an affair (though it would be a good plot scenario), but if Azzurra ever becomes resentful or jealous of Titziana ... well.

honeykid 01-30-20 11:27 AM

WARNING: "I don't know if this is necessary" spoilers below
I agree with your second point. It felt from the start that she'd take over from her boss (was it Walter? I can't remember now) and once that happened and they kept foreshadowing an affair between them, (I don't actually think they will) then it really felt as if it was being set up for Azzurra and her to clash next series. Probably with Azzurra killing her halfway through or at the end of next series.

Stirchley 01-31-20 02:32 PM

I really liked Alberto, Titziana’s boss. Funny how all these people align themselves with Gennaro without taking into account how dangerous he is.

Another plot point next season will be Gennaro going after Ruggiero the prosecutor. G. told us as much.

John-Connor 09-24-20 08:29 AM

https://i.imgur.com/QA7ACp6.jpg

Stirchley 09-25-20 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2126990)
Did anyone say when season 5 will be released?

Amusing that Salvatore inserts the Union Jack next to the English translation.

Stirchley 09-30-20 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2127241)
Did anyone say when season 5 will be released?
@John-Connor

John-Connor 09-30-20 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2128296)
Nothing yet Stirch, filming in Italy is slow, actors take corona tests twice a week. So they're filming outside of Italy now, I'd be surprised if they make December.

Producer Tozzi says; "We've found another special angle for season five. It's crepuscular, dark and emotional."

Stirchley 09-30-20 03:09 PM

⬆️ I could live with December. Loved the show so much, but glad they’re not gonna drag it out for several more years. Better to end on a high note.

Dying to see Marco D’Amore’s movie that came out in March, but is nowhere to be found here. So annoying. AmazonUK has the dvd for sale, but only Blu Ray, which I don’t have. Have you seen it?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9048786/

John-Connor 09-30-20 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2128331)
⬆️ I could live with December. Loved the show so much, but glad they’re not gonna drag it out for several more years. Better to end on a high note.

Dying to see Marco D’Amore’s movie that came out in March, but is nowhere to be found here. So annoying. AmazonUK has the dvd for sale, but only Blu Ray, which I don’t have. Have you seen it?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9048786/
Nowadays maybe wise to get a Blu-ray player or a pc/laptop that plays them.
Saw it a while ago, here's my review, I took the spoilers out;
Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2109293)
The Immortal 2019 ‘L'immortale’ Directed by Marco D’Amore

1h 56min | Crime | Drama |
Writers: Leonardo Fasoli, Maddalena Ravagli
Cast: Marco D'Amore, Giuseppe Aiello, Martina Attanasio, Salvatore D'Onofrio

If you like good crime series and are not familiar with Gomorrah stop reading, logg off, call in sick, and binge it.

L'immortale is a spin off prequel and a sequel to the events after the third season of the TV series. Similar to Deadwood and Serenity this can't be watched without having seen the series.

Ciro Di Marzio 'The immortal', a beautiful and deep character played by one of the best upcoming and multi talented Italian dramatic actors Marco D’Amore. Who also directed it. The film focuses on the life and times of Ciro, past and present. A compelling crime film, if it was an episode it would’ve been a strong one with the same grim and gritty atmosphere as the series. It also has the same Mokadelic score which is fantastic as always.

-

Stirchley 09-30-20 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2128351)
Nowadays maybe wise to get a Blu-ray player or a pc/laptop that plays them.
Saw it a while ago, here's my review, I took the spoilers out;
So how did you see this movie in the Netherlands? Very confused now.

For a second I was tempted to buy a Blu Ray DVD player, but this wouldn’t make sense as I never buy Blu Ray. Coming from the UK it would also have to be a multi-region DVD player and I already own one of these. I own an iPad only btw.

ScarletLion 01-05-22 07:52 AM

Finished the 5th and final season of 'Gomorrah'. It was a little choreographed in the end although still good. It peaked before they released the needless film L'Immortale. The first few seasons are still some of the best TV this century.

Stirchley 01-05-22 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 2269082)
Finished the 5th and final season of 'Gomorrah'. It was a little choreographed in the end although still good. It peaked before they released the needless film L'Immortale. The first few seasons are still some of the best TV this century.
Still unavailable here. So annoying. I loved L’Immortale.

ScarletLion 01-05-22 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2269179)
Still unavailable here. So annoying. I loved L’Immortale.
Strange how it's not available across the pond. It should be on HBO Max soon I would guess.

Stirchley 01-05-22 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 2269187)
Strange how it's not available across the pond. It should be on HBO Max soon I would guess.
I guess. I have it all on dvd & I would like to buy the final season dvd just to complete it, but that will take forever too.

That’s my quibble with some tv series - Ozark, for example. So very much time inbetween seasons. Succession is another one.

Stirchley 01-28-22 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 2269187)
It finally dropped yesterday. Now I have to wait for the dvd so I complete the collection.

honeykid 02-04-22 10:52 AM

Have you watched any of it yet @Stirchley?

Stirchley 02-04-22 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 2279690)
Have you watched any of it yet @Stirchley?
No, because as I mentioned before I have to wait for the dvd. I have the rest of it on dvd so I feel I should finish the collection. I know this sounds nuts because I would like nothing better than to stream it right now, but …

Gonna stop buying series on DVDs, that’s for sure. It takes so long for DVDs to be released. Gonna stream in future.

Stirchley 04-04-22 01:36 PM

Happy times: final season dvd will be available from Amazon May 31. I could get it earlier from Amazon UK, but they have some shortages so will stick with Amazon USA.

Cannot wait! :)

Stirchley 06-06-22 01:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Finally! Decided to watch the entire thing again before I get into the final season.

Stirchley 10-28-22 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2305511)

Finally! Decided to watch the entire thing again before I get into the final season.
So I rewatched the first 4 seasons in their entirety. So very good.

Now I will rewatch the movie Immortal and then start afresh with the final season 5 of Gomorrah.

Stirchley 10-31-22 01:58 PM

Trying to figure out episode 1 of season 5. The plot is hard to follow.

honeykid 10-31-22 05:27 PM

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts about season 5, @Stirchley

Stirchley 11-02-22 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 2343511)
Yup. Four more episodes to go.

Does nobody in Napoli use a smart phone is my first thought.

Stirchley 11-02-22 05:53 PM

@honeykid first spoiler:

So very disappointed that Grazia Levante was murdered right off. Forcing her to marry Little Monk was nuts, but an opportunity to infuse the final season with a great female lead was lost. I envisioned her transcending from a young woman who “always keeps her eyes down” to a strong female like my favorite Patrizia Santoro, also murdered. So annoying!

Stirchley 11-09-22 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2343948)
Yup. Four more episodes to go.

Does nobody in Napoli use a smart phone is my first thought.
Azzurra did in the final season, but not until near the end.

Stirchley 11-09-22 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 2343511)
I want to hear yours too before I put this to bed.

If I’m honest I would say the final season was my least favorite. And maybe it was supposed to be this way as I’ve thought later. Everyone is dead including our two heroes. Everyone we knew all these years is gone & I have no clue who the new ones are. So maybe the show runners intended it to be this way. To me season 5 disintegrated & so did everyone’s life in Napoli.

Somewhat disappointing final season then, but what a show over the years. I absolutely loved it. Favorite character besides Ciro & Gennaro would be Patrizia. Beautiful woman who was killed though she did nothing wrong.

honeykid 11-14-22 09:18 AM

@Stirchley

WARNING: "Gomorrah" spoilers below
I'd agree with it being the least favourite of the 5. I was good for the first episode, but the reveal that Ciro was alive was a big blow. Loved the character, but they killed him and they didn't do it in a way which you can explain well later and see that you were tricked. I thought it was very poorly handled and it took me out of many of the remaining episodes until the last couple. Had I not loved the show so much, I might've even ended it there. It's a been a while since I saw it, so I'm a little hazy on what happened and when, but I liked Blue Blood being brought back and that whole storyline with Ciro really becoming The Immortal.

Gomorrah has always been as true as possible and that's why everyone has to die. Almost everyone in that life does before their time, be it outside or inside prison, the majority of the rest spend decades/end their days in prison, so I exoected them to die because for them not to would've meant bringing Ciro back even more pointless. They had to die together, whether that was Butch and Sundance style or at each others hands ala Hamlet and Laertes, it had to be that way.

I don't know that I have a favourite character beyond the main two. They all just serve a purpose which, for the most part, is their role. I'd agree that Patricia is someone we're supposed to identify with a little more than the rest. I don't agree that she did nothing wrong, though. She got involved and that sealed her fate. That's the moral of the story. However you get involved, born to it, crave it, forced into it, you're not innocent and you will suffer/pay the price.

Stirchley 11-14-22 02:03 PM

If I hadn’t seen L’Immortale I would have thought it improbable that Ciro was still alive. Another greatly missed opportunity was not to create a romance between Vera (I think that was her name) & Ciro. Vera became a widow in the movie & she & Ciro obviously were attracted to each other. I hoped she would appear in season 5, but she didn’t.

So which one is Hamlet? Gennaro or Ciro? :p

I didn’t explain myself well regarding Patrizia. She had pints of blood on her hands, but I meant she did nothing wrong regarding her visit to the District Attorney or whatever he’s called in Italy. She didn’t rat out Gennaro as he thought she did & he made a huge mistake shooting & killing her.