Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Ongoing Tournaments & Brackets (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   MoFo Movie Roulette II (a movie watching participation event) (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=64523)

Citizen Rules 08-07-21 04:25 PM

MoFo Movie Roulette II (a movie watching participation event)

Movie Roulette II

It's a good time to re-start the Movie Roulette! Same basic idea as originally developed by TheUsualSuspect here.

How This Works:  

Participants

Citizen Rules 20.5
Allaby - Face in the Crowd -5
BooBooKittyFock - Branded to Kill - 3.5
Jiraffejustin - The Red Shoes - 4.5
CosmicRunaway - The Blue Light - 4
Edarsenal - Alice's Restaurant - 3.5

Allaby 19.5
Citizen Rules - One Foot in Heaven - 3
Edarsenal - Memories of Murder - 4.5
CosmicRunaway - Ikiru - 4.5
Jiraffejustin - Sleepaway Camp - 3.5
BooBooKittyFock - A Single Man - 4

Edarsenal 20.5
Jiraffejustin - Black Narcissus - 4.5
Allaby - Le crime de Monsieur Lange - 3
CosmicRunaway - Memories of Murder - 4
BooBooKittyFock - Rififi - 5
Citizen Rules - Rango - 4

Jiraffejustin 21.5
Edarsenal - Siraa Fil-Mina - 4.5
CosmicRunaway - Throne of Blood - 4.5
Citizen Rules - Cairo Station - 4
Allaby - Divorce Italian Style - 4
BooBooKittyFock - Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance - 4.5

CosmicRunaway 21.5
BooBooKittyFock - Barton Fink - 4.5
Jiraffejustin - Waltz with Bashir - 4
Allaby - Persepolis - 4.5
Citizen Rules - The Producers - 3.5
Edarsenal - Ikiru - 5

BooBooKittyFock 21
CosmicRunaway - The Raid - 4.0
Citizen Rules - Cat on a Hot Tin Roof - 4.5
Edarsenal - Badlands - 4.5
Allaby - Antwone Fisher - 3.5
Jiraffejustin - Pixote - 4.5

Allaby 08-07-21 04:28 PM

Re: MoFo Movie Roulette II (a movie watching particpation event)

Sign me up! I really enjoyed the first round.

Citizen Rules 08-07-21 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Allaby (Post 2227880)
Sign me up! I really enjoyed the first round.
Cool! Glad to have you.

I loved your choice for me last time, The Naked Island (1960) such a unique, minimalist type film that I would have never seen if it wasn't for the last Movie Roulette.

Citizen Rules 08-07-21 07:37 PM

Re: MoFo Movie Roulette II (a movie watching participation event)

Some from the first Movie Roulette said they wanted to continue, hopefully they're still up for it?

@jiraffejustin @cricket @edarsenal

and of course ANYONE else can give this a try....Questions about how this works? Just ask:D

edarsenal 08-07-21 09:35 PM

Oh yeah!
I just remarked on The Naked Island being on your Countdown list, so when I can, I read your review. Nice!
Here's a Cheat Sheet for anyone picking movies for me

Citizen Rules 08-07-21 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2227929)
Oh yeah!
I just remarked on The Naked Island being on your Countdown list, so when I can, I read your review. Nice!
Here's a Cheat Sheet for anyone picking movies for me
Glad you're in! I took a gander at your Cheat Sheet and I've seen some of the blue watch list ones, some really great films there.

jiraffejustin 08-08-21 02:36 AM

I'm down to clown.

Citizen Rules 08-08-21 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 2227963)
I'm down to clown.
Cool! Glad to have you.

Hoping for at least a few more people.

SpelingError 08-08-21 12:57 PM

I'm probably going to hold off on joining any more Hall of Fame's until the 26th HoF starts, but I hope enough people join this one as well :up:

Citizen Rules 08-08-21 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2228036)
I'm probably going to hold off on joining any more Hall of Fame's until the 26th HoF starts, but I hope enough people join this one as well :up:
Oh, I understand being busy alright, I'm so overworked these days:eek:

I should say this is not an HoF. It's not structured like one and has different goals. It's much more like Cricket's idea of the Personal Recommendation series.

Captain Spaulding 08-08-21 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 2227963)
I'm down to clown.
Stop appropriating my culture.

CosmicRunaway 08-08-21 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2227876)
After watching the movie: write a little blurb about it and rate it from
to
Not allowed to give a film
if it's practically unwatchable?

Citizen Rules 08-08-21 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2228053)
Not allowed to give a film
if it's practically unwatchable?
Sure thing...and good point, thanks. I will change it now in the first post.

cricket 08-08-21 02:52 PM

I have to sit this one out, struggling to make hay with the HoF. More time come November.

Citizen Rules 08-08-21 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 2228062)
I have to sit this one out, struggling to make hay with the HoF. More time come November.
Bummer...hopefully see you in November.

CosmicRunaway 08-10-21 02:47 PM

If you end up with an odd number of participants when you guys want to start, I can join. I'm just really bad at recommending films, and equally terrible at remembering which films I've already seen haha.

Speaking of which, if someone (;)) started to watch a film, then realized they had already seen it, would they just pick one of the other two options they were given?

Citizen Rules 08-10-21 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2228690)
If you end up with an odd number of participants when you guys want to start, I can join. I'm just really bad at recommending films, and equally terrible at remembering which films I've already seen haha.
An odd number would be fine, you should join:) This is just for fun, not really formal like an HoF.
Speaking of which, if someone (;)) started to watch a film, then realized they had already seen it, would they just pick one of the other two options they were given?
Yup. Works for me:p

BooBooKittyFock 08-11-21 12:34 AM

To late to sign up if you’ll have me?

Citizen Rules 08-11-21 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by BooBooKittyFock (Post 2228891)
To late to sign up if you’ll have me?
Sure why not, glad to have you join! Oh and you and Cosmic would make an even number again.

CosmicRunaway 08-11-21 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2228876)
An odd number would be fine
How would that work though? One person sits out each week?

Citizen Rules 08-11-21 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2229127)
How would that work though? One person sits out each week?
I suppose someone could have two movie partners for one week. I'd be up to watch 2 instead of 1 movie in a week.

BooBooKittyFock 08-11-21 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2228915)
Sure why not, glad to have you join! Oh and you and Cosmic would make an even number again.
Awesome 🙏

Looking forward to it!

Citizen Rules 08-11-21 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by BooBooKittyFock (Post 2229325)
Awesome 🙏

Looking forward to it!
I'll post the parings tomorrow. Hopefully Cosmic is in for an even number of members.

BooBooKittyFock..crazy name:p how'd you come up with that? I don't really know much about you or your movie taste. Tells us what kind of movies you like? And any kind of movies you hate? I'm sure you're a big fan of Will Ferrell and musicals;)

BooBooKittyFock 08-11-21 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2229330)
I'll post the parings tomorrow. Hopefully Cosmic is in for an even number of members.

BooBooKittyFock..crazy name:p how'd you come up with that? I don't really know much about you or your movie taste. Tells us what kind of movies you like? And any kind of movies you hate? I'm sure you're a big fan of Will Ferrell and musicals;)
Boobookittyfock, is a pet name Jay from Jay and silent bob strike back, give Justice.

Here’s my letterboxd:

https://boxd.it/EHGF

Citizen Rules 08-11-21 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by BooBooKittyFock (Post 2229331)
Boobookittyfock, is a pet name Jay from Jay and silent bob strike back, give Justice.

Here’s my letterboxd:

https://boxd.it/EHGF
Did you use to post here as Royalwitcheese?

BooBooKittyFock 08-11-21 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2229334)
Did you use to post here as Royalwitcheese?

I did, a long time a go, 4 years ago maybe, but my profile name timed out and I lost my name here. I believe it was spelled the same Royal3witcheese

CosmicRunaway 08-12-21 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2229330)
Yeah, you can count me in. :up:

Citizen Rules 08-12-21 12:21 PM

Round 1

@Citizen Rules @Allaby
-------------
@edarsenal @jiraffejustin
--------------
@CosmicRunaway @BooBooKittyFock
--------------

Let's start this!
Tag your partner when you post your three movie selections for them, they will then choose one of them that they haven't seen.

If you don't know your partner's movie taste just do a little research, or just ask them.

CosmicRunaway 08-12-21 12:56 PM

Here's a quick post in case anyone is wondering what to choose for me.

I don't have a letterboxd account, and my review thread is long since dead but I have been keeping the main post updated with links to every HoF and other review-like post I've ever written. Here's a link to that.

I love fantasy, sci-fi, horror (except slashers - unless they're also comedies), action films, and anything with a lot of style or atmosphere. You're welcome to choose very new films that are still only premium rentals if you'd like, and I'm always down to check out foreign films.

I typically hate documentaries and musicals, and I'm not usually keen on coming-of-age films if that's the entire focus of the story.

Allaby 08-12-21 02:23 PM

My Letterboxd:
https://letterboxd.com/steveallaby/

My IMDb:
https://m.imdb.com/user/ur44669823/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2

I like a wide variety of films in different genres, from all over the world and different times. I enjoy fun comedies, good musicals, entertaining horror films and well made dramas. Favourite directors include: Hitchcock, Scorsese, Spielberg, Kubrick and Bergman. I don’t like animal cruelty or violence against animals in films, but I’m okay with violence against people. I have no objection to sexy scenes or naked people (of any age). I also like pizza and chocolate.

CosmicRunaway 08-12-21 03:35 PM

The first few films I thought of for BooBooKittyFock after skimming their Letterboxd are listed as being on their watchlist already haha.

jiraffejustin 08-12-21 03:42 PM

@edarsenal I will be picking your choices out when I get home. In the mean time, here is my letterboxd if you wanna use it to help you with my choices.

CosmicRunaway 08-12-21 04:02 PM

I have 16 films shortlisted for BBKF. Have something else to do now, but then I'll try to narrow it down. If they don't make a post about what genres they prefer/would like to avoid, I guess I'll just pick three completely different films so that there's at least a variety haha.

Citizen Rules 08-12-21 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2229513)
I have 16 films shortlisted for BBKF. Have something else to do now, but then I'll try to narrow it down. If they don't make a post about what genres they prefer/would like to avoid, I guess I'll just pick three completely different films so that there's at least a variety haha.
Variety might be a good idea, I've done that in the 1st MR.

I'll post my 3 choices for Allaby tonight or tomorrow, right now I'm on like a 10 minute work break.

CosmicRunaway 08-12-21 05:12 PM

@BooBooKittyFock

Here are your three choices:

Barton Fink (1991)
Directed by: Ethan Coen, Joel Coen
Notes: Saw this on your watchlist and thought it was similar to some other films that you seemed to like. Though honestly I don't remember much about it other than it has some great cinematography.

Mandy (2018)
Directed by: Panos Cosmatos
Notes: Starts slow and slightly arthouse, turns over-the-top gorey. Highly stylized.

Millenium Actress (2001)
Directed by: Satoshi Kon
Notes: You had Perfect Blue from the same director on your watchlist, but I wanted to give you a tonally lighter choice, and this is a less depressing take on similar subject matter.

edarsenal 08-12-21 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 2229511)
@edarsenal I will be picking your choices out when I get home. In the mean time, here is my letterboxd if you wanna use it to help you with my choices.
THANKS JJ!
I'll be doing the same tonight and here's a Here's a Cheat Sheet to help you, and everyone I posted on the first page of this.

Allaby 08-12-21 07:06 PM

@CitizenRules

My nominations for you are:

Sons of the Desert (1933)
One Foot in Heaven (1941)
The Marrying Kind (1952)

Citizen Rules 08-12-21 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Allaby (Post 2229568)
@CitizenRules

My nominations for you are:

Sons of the Desert (1933)
One Foot in Heaven (1941)
The Marrying Kind (1952)
All good sounding choices🙂 I'll go with One Foot in Heaven because Frederick March is the man!

Citizen Rules 08-12-21 09:58 PM

@Allaby

Here's your three movie choices. Let me know if you've seen them or if they just plum don't work for you.

A Face in the Crowd 1957
Birdman of Alcatraz 1962
The Pawnbroker 1964

Allaby 08-12-21 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2229621)
All good sounding choices🙂 I'll go with One Foot in Heaven because Frederick March is the man!
Excellent choice! Hope you enjoy it!

Allaby 08-12-21 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2229623)
@Allaby

Here's your three movie choices. Let me know if you've seen them or if they just plum don't work for you.

A Face in the Crowd 1957
Birdman of Alcatraz 1962
The Pawnbroker 1964
I haven't seen any of them, but have heard good things and been meaning to eventually get around to them. I will go with A Face in the Crowd.

BooBooKittyFock 08-12-21 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2229528)
@BooBooKittyFock

Barton Fink (1991)
Notes: Saw this on your watchlist and thought it was similar to some other films that you seemed to like. Though honestly I don't remember much about it other than it has some great cinematography.

Mandy (2018)
Notes: Starts slow and slightly arthouse, turns over-the-top gorey. Highly stylized.

Millenium Actress (2001)
Notes: You had Perfect Blue from the same director on your watchlist, but I wanted to give you a tonally lighter choice, and this is a less depressing take on similar subject matter.
Thanks Cosmic!

Give me a sec, I just got home, I’ll figure out three films you haven’t seen!

Takoma11 08-12-21 10:05 PM

@BooBooKittyFock

Barton Fink (1991)

Mandy (2018)

Millenium Actress (2001)
I know I'm not playing, but I just want to say I love this trio of recommendations.

edarsenal 08-12-21 10:09 PM

Alrighty, @jiraffejustin here be your choices:

Black Narcissus (1947)

The Chaser (2008)

Fargo (1996)

went with a wide variety in hopes of hitting something you'll be very much in the mood to see. ENJOY

Citizen Rules 08-12-21 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Allaby (Post 2229626)
I haven't seen any of them, but have heard good things and been meaning to eventually get around to them. I will go with A Face in the Crowd.
It's a unique movie for sure, even more so for a 1950s movie.

edarsenal 08-12-21 10:12 PM

I've been curious about that one myself. Looking forward to hearing what Allaby thinks of it

BooBooKittyFock 08-12-21 10:26 PM

@CosmicRunaway

I’m going to try and give you a 3 films you hopefully haven’t seen, I looked at your link but that’s all I had to go off of.
Lmk if you watched any of the three films and I’ll replace it!

1. The Handmaiden 2016
Directed by: Park Chan-wook
My first recommendation is The Handmaiden. This is my favorite foreign film I’ve ever seen, I also think that you probably already saw this film, but at the slim chance you haven’t, it was worth the rec!

https://film-grab.com/wp-content/upl...bwg=1569841495

2. Stardust 2007
Directed by: Matthew Vaughn
My second recommendation, an awesome fantasy film, very cheesy but has a good blend of lore and can warm the heart.

https://cache.moviestillsdb.com/i/50...tardust-lg.jpg

3. A River Runs Through It 1992
Directed by: Robert Redford
My third recommendation, is a film that I hold close to my heart. It was my dads favorite film growing up and is now one of mine, if you haven’t seen it, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

https://cache.moviestillsdb.com/i/50...ough-it-lg.jpg

Enjoy, Cheers!

BooBooKittyFock 08-12-21 10:30 PM

@BooBooKittyFock

Barton Fink (1991)

Mandy (2018)

Millenium Actress (2001)
I choose Millenium Actress!

Looking forward to the watch, lmk if you have seen any of my films again, cheers!

jiraffejustin 08-13-21 03:29 AM

@edarsenal sorry I took so long

1. Dark Waters

2. Black Orpheus

3. Elite Squad

So I looked at your checklist to see what I could do for you, so here are three non-English language films that will help with getting to ten of those. Black Orpheus is on your watchlist, plus I saw it due to the first round of this game. Dark Waters is an African film that would check off that part of the challenge, plus it is on Netflix (or at least it was last I checked). It has like six different titles, so I just went with the one on Netflix and Letterboxd. It has a young Omar Sharif. It's my favorite of the three I gave you. Elite Squad just came to me when I was trying to think of something different from the other two and more modern.

jiraffejustin 08-13-21 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2229630)
Alrighty, @jiraffejustin here be your choices:

Black Narcissus (1947)

The Chaser (2008)

Fargo (1996)

went with a wide variety in hopes of hitting something you'll be very much in the mood to see. ENJOY
I'll be watching one of the first two. I haven't decided which yet. I've already seen Fargo, but I have it on my Letterboxd watchlist because it's due for a rewatch.

And I don't mind anybody using my watchlist to choose something for me, but it's definitely not a requirement. You can go with anything.

CosmicRunaway 08-13-21 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by BooBooKittyFock (Post 2229635)
I’m going to try and give you a 3 films you hopefully haven’t seen, I looked at your link but that’s all I had to go off of.
Yeah, other than the site's lists I don't really have anything else unfortunately. I've been updating my "seen log" whenever I remember watching a film, particularly when it's not on a list already, but I'm not sure if anyone else can view your seen log.

Originally Posted by BooBooKittyFock (Post 2229635)
Lmk if you watched any of the three films and I’ll replace it!

1. The Handmaiden 2016
Directed by: Park Chan-wook
My first recommendation is The Handmaiden. This is my favorite foreign film I’ve ever seen, I also think that you probably already saw this film, but at the slim chance you haven’t, it was worth the rec!
I actually have seen this one, but it would've been a great pick! You don't have to replace it though, since I'll watch Stardust.

I avoided Stardust when it was new because I didn't particularly like the trailer. I've really enjoyed some of the director's other work though (First Class and the Kingsman films), so I think it's about time I give it a shot.

CosmicRunaway 08-13-21 04:00 AM

Heading to work now, but when I get home later, maybe I'll look into finally setting up a letterboxd account.

BooBooKittyFock 08-13-21 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2229708)
Heading to work now, but when I get home later, maybe I'll look into finally setting up a letterboxd account.
No pressure, I got two out of three, hope you enjoy the film! Have a good day at work and happy Friday!

BooBooKittyFock 08-13-21 07:50 AM

@CosmicRunaway
Since you’re going to work anyway, ima give this another shot, even though you said you’d pick Stardust.

1. The Raid 2011
Directed by: Gareth Evans
I saw John Wick was in your favorites, based off of that, I recommend this, great action sequences and a thrilling movie from cover to cover. If you have seen The Raid, then the rec will go to “The Raid 2”

CosmicRunaway 08-13-21 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by BooBooKittyFock (Post 2229736)
Since you’re going to work anyway, ima give this another shot, even though you said you’d pick Stardust.

1. The Raid 2011
Directed by: Gareth Evans
I saw John Wick was in your favorites, based off of that, I recommend this, great action sequences and a thrilling movie from cover to cover. If you have seen The Raid, then the rec will go to “The Raid 2”
Ooh, I've been meaning to watch The Raid for ages now, but just haven't gotten around to it. Now I have a decision to make.

CosmicRunaway 08-13-21 10:59 AM

@BooBooKittyFock Definitely going to go with The Raid. I think I'll like it more than Stardust, and when I asked my room mate (who has seen both) which one he thinks I should go with, he laughed and said "obviously The Raid, how is that even a question" haha.

CosmicRunaway 08-13-21 11:47 AM

https://letterboxd.com/CosmicRunaway/

I now have a (work-in-progress) letterboxd account! Hopefully I'll have it updated by the time the next round starts. Have to quit for now after only adding recent films since I'm leaving to go see a screening of Free Guy.

BooBooKittyFock 08-13-21 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2229778)
@BooBooKittyFock Definitely going to go with The Raid. I think I'll like it more than Stardust, and when I asked my room mate (who has seen both) which one he thinks I should go with, he laughed and said "obviously The Raid, how is that even a question" haha.
Awesome! Glad I was able to pick a film I. Your wheelhouse!

Speaking of, I’m going to switch my choose to Barton Fink, feel like you did your research right and I would like that the most. I picked the other because it was on the criterion channel but I don’t have an issue with purchasing a Cohen brother film!

Citizen Rules 08-13-21 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by BooBooKittyFock (Post 2229908)
Awesome! Glad I was able to pick a film I. Your wheelhouse!

Speaking of, I’m going to switch my choose to Barton Fink, feel like you did your research right and I would like that the most. I picked the other because it was on the criterion channel but I don’t have an issue with purchasing a Cohen brother film!
I enjoyed Barton Fink...btw if you need a free link, just give a shout out and someone probably can find it and PM you one.

BooBooKittyFock 08-13-21 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2229911)
I enjoyed Barton Fink...btw if you need a free link, just give a shout out and someone probably can find it and PM you one.
I know most cinephiles tend to stick to hard copies like blu ray, but I’m unorganized and I like digital copies, I back them up on my hard drive. I’ll probably just purchase it, there are certain directors I try to collect their full filmography! I’ll let you know if I end up needing the link though, thanks!

Citizen Rules 08-13-21 02:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)

One Foot In Heaven (Irving Rapper 1941)

I'm a sucker for sentimental films, but this one just didn't do anything for me. It was a nice watch but nothing much happened that I cared about. I was hoping it would've had more heart like I Remember Mama, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn or The Bells of St Mary's. The story itself seemed worthy of a film but the movie just plodded along. I think the fault is in the director.

Frederick March was one of the all time great actors, but he didn't really get a chance to shine here. For shining, it's Beulah Bondi who hits a home run with her performance of a rich, snooty and controlling woman.

edarsenal 08-13-21 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 2229693)
I'll be watching one of the first two. I haven't decided which yet. I've already seen Fargo, but I have it on my Letterboxd watchlist because it's due for a rewatch.

And I don't mind anybody using my watchlist to choose something for me, but it's definitely not a requirement. You can go with anything.
Both The Chaser and Black Narcissus are very solid, excellent films for their genre so just run with whichever calls to you more and I hope you enjoy them.

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 2229692)
@edarsenal sorry I took so long

1. Dark Waters

2. Black Orpheus

3. Elite Squad

So I looked at your checklist to see what I could do for you, so here are three non-English language films that will help with getting to ten of those. Black Orpheus is on your watchlist, plus I saw it due to the first round of this game. Dark Waters is an African film that would check off that part of the challenge, plus it is on Netflix (or at least it was last I checked). It has like six different titles, so I just went with the one on Netflix and Letterboxd. It has a young Omar Sharif. It's my favorite of the three I gave you. Elite Squad just came to me when I was trying to think of something different from the other two and more modern.
No worries about the time it took, being quite the procrastinator meself lol.
Quite the intriguing set of choices. Thank you for that. I do already have Black Orpheus nominated for me in The Personal Rec HoF, it wouldn't be fair to double up if I chose that one. Elite Squad is one I've never heard of but looks pretty intense and something I could definitely sink my teeth into. But, in the end, even though there was an initial glee at having assistance in a sorely needed filler in my Film Challenge there is something very, very beguiling about Dark Waters aka Siraa Fil-Mina. Though I may need assistance locating it since my initial search has come up a bit of a bust.

::EDIT:: Scratch that! The Movie Gods have smiled on me! It's on Netflix!!! WOO HOO

Citizen Rules 08-13-21 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2229975)
...something very, very beguiling about Dark Waters aka Siraa Fil-Mina. Though I may need assistance locating it since my initial search has come up a bit of a bust.

::EDIT:: Scratch that! The Movie Gods have smiled on me! It's on Netflix!!! WOO HOO
Very surprising that it's on Netflix, but very cool. Lucky you as I image it might be hard to find otherwise.

Wyldesyde19 08-13-21 04:34 PM

If you like Dark Waters, which stars a young Omar Sharif, definitely also check out a few other films by the same director, Youssef Chahine. Best thing going for Netflix.

Cairo Station
Alexandria…..Why?
An Egyptian Tale
Alexandria, again and Forever

jiraffejustin 08-13-21 05:07 PM

Yeah finding Chahine films on Netflix was weird but exciting when I started trying to check out Egyptian films

edarsenal 08-13-21 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2229983)
Very surprising that it's on Netflix, but very cool. Lucky you as I image it might be hard to find otherwise.
VERY lucky indeed! Since the usual spot didn't have one with subs, though it WAS an excellent version otherwise.
Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2229990)
If you like Dark Waters, which stars a young Omar Sharif, definitely also check out a few other films by the same director, Youssef Chahine. Best thing going for Netflix.

Cairo Station
Alexandria…..Why?
An Egyptian Tale
Alexandria, again and Forever
SWEET, THANKS Wylde! I definitely will. One of the selling points was the opportunity to see a young Sharif. Should be pretty cool.
Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 2229995)
Yeah finding Chahine films on Netflix was weird but exciting when I started trying to check out Egyptian films
I have been VERY surprised on occasion with films that DO show up on Netflix. Though their algorithm for allegedly suggesting films that we'd like does seem to shut a lot of doors for possible excellent viewing for previously unknown sources. But, hey, I'll take what I can get when I get it.
Also, I have a feeling a preliminary Thank you is going to be very much in order :)

Wyldesyde19 08-13-21 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 2229995)
Yeah, I’ve gone through 11 of them, with only one more, Saladin, to watch. I aim to finish it up this weekend.

It’s been a mixed bag, of sorts, but there are genuinely 4 films that are definitely worth mentioning, with 2 or 3 more also worthwhile.

I hope Netflix considers this when they decide on other films to stream in the future

BooBooKittyFock 08-14-21 10:28 AM

@CosmicRunaway

You’ve been putting in the work!

1,100 films already, holy ****!

CosmicRunaway 08-14-21 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by BooBooKittyFock (Post 2230209)
You’ve been putting in the work!

1,100 films already, holy ****!
Yeah, my free time has been consumed with adding films haha.

I'm probably about 80% through the films I've marked as seen here on Movie Forums. I'll definitely have those done by the time the next round starts. I'll still be missing things I've watched, but it should at least be pretty accurate.

What's not entirely accurate are my ratings, but that's an issue for another time. :lol:

Allaby 08-14-21 03:46 PM

I just finished watching A Face in the Crowd, as suggested by my good buddy, @CitizenRules. If I could sum up my experience watching this film in one word, it would be: WOW! A Face in the Crowd is a masterpiece and one of the greatest films of all time. Brilliantly directed by Elia Kazan, the films stars Andy Griffith in a fantastic, career best performance as Larry 'Lonesome' Rhodes, a drifter who rapidly ascends to become an influential radio and tv star. This film is more relevant now than when it first came out and has a lot of worthwhile things to say about the dangers of fame and power. The screenplay is exceptionally smart and sharply written. In addition to Griffith's powerhouse performance, Patricia Neal is great as the woman who first discovers Rhodes and falls under his spell. I really enjoyed the film. It was consistently entertaining, engaging and ranged from funny to sad to frightening and back again. I cared about the characters and was invested in what was happening. Even though Griffith's character acts like a jerk at times, I didn't completely hate him and even felt empathy towards him. I appreciated that he was written and portrayed as a complex, flawed character and he didn't come across as an over the top villain. A Face in The Crowd is without a doubt a must see film and I'm glad Mr. Rules suggested it for me.

edarsenal 08-14-21 04:46 PM

Face in the Crowd is on my Watchlist and looking forward to eventually seeing it. Very glad to hear you enjoyed it as much as you did, allaby - very cool!

equally so, I am sad to hear, CR, it wasn't the same with One Foot in Heaven. It definitely sounded like it should have been right up your alley. That is a shame.

And Cosmic, a very cool surprise that you'd want to check out Raid. Mucho rep points for that! HUGE fan of that film. It's chock full of "HOLY SH#T!!" fight sequences in an almost video game scenario. Can't wait to see what you think of it.

As for me. . .

edarsenal 08-14-21 05:37 PM

JJ has gifted me with not only a seriously needed filler on my Movie Challenge but a wonderful movie experience as well that allowed me to see a young Omar Shariff - FINALLY, with:

https://64.media.tumblr.com/81e83b13...b9877db12.gifv
https://i2.wp.com/diaspora.telquel.m...80%2C585&ssl=1

Dark Waters aka Siraa Fil-Mina (1956)

Twenty-five-year-old Ragab (Omar Shariff) returns home after three years at sea to his mother and his cousin, a girl when he left, now, an intoxicating young woman. Played with true fire by Faten Hamamah.
A volatile, quick to anger, jealous man, Ragab is easily manipulated by a local businessman looking to make a coup against another businessman. All of which plays out in a Shakespearean deception that reminded me of such plays as Othello and Much Ado About Nothing.

An Egyptian Soap Opera set on the piers of the local town, centering on its workers as the brewing storm is orchestrated with deceit and accusations of betrayal. Filmed with finesse, this was an engaging visit to a vibrant seacoast life.

CosmicRunaway 08-14-21 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2230286)
And Cosmic, a very cool surprise that you'd want to check out Raid. Mucho rep points for that! HUGE fan of that film. It's chock full of "HOLY SH#T!!" fight sequences in an almost video game scenario. Can't wait to see what you think of it.
Yeah, a few of my friends have been telling me to watch it for years now. It was on Netflix here for a bit, and I did actually turn it on but it was only the dub so I quickly bailed out.

I was going to watch it this afternoon, but I spent too long on my letterboxd account. On the plus side I've added (and vaguely rated) everything I can think of at the moment. Just need to work on my watchlist now. :cool:

edarsenal 08-14-21 06:11 PM

youuuu busy lil bee, you :)

BooBooKittyFock 08-14-21 08:09 PM

Barton Fink
This film was amazing, I don’t know why I put it off for so long. This was the first Cohen Brothers film that started a beautiful relationship with Roger Deakins and boy did it pay off.

From the cinematography, to the acting, which were both done beautifully in a minimalist fashion by having simple sets that resembled legendary films like The Shining and setting shoes outside the rooms of the hotel to imply the hotel was full, even though you only ever saw the legendary actors that were casted that poured their heart and soul into their work. All while leaving reoccurring themes throughout the film making your mind race to connect the pieces all without giving you a direct answer, to sort out all the details and answer all the questions you have on your own accord.

I loved this film and would recommend it to anyone who likes The Cohen Brothers. I also intend giving this a rewatch to see if I can spot more of the subtle hidden treasures hidden throughout the film.

Thanks for the rec! @CosmicRunaway
@Citizen Rules

https://film-grab.com/wp-content/upl...bwg=1547148217
https://film-grab.com/wp-content/upl...bwg=1547148218

Citizen Rules 08-14-21 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Allaby (Post 2230282)
...A Face in the Crowd... If I could sum up my experience watching this film in one word, it would be: WOW! A Face in the Crowd is a masterpiece and one of the greatest films of all time. Brilliantly directed by Elia Kazan...
I say WOW too! So glad you liked it, that's important to me. I'm a huge fan of Elia Kazan, he's one of my favorite directors. Have you seen many of his films? He's got a lot of great ones.

@Allaby I'm going to watch your other recommendation for me The Marrying Kind tonight, just as a bonus watch. Looking forward to it.

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2230298)
Dark Waters aka Siraa Fil-Mina (1956)
...Filmed with finesse, this was an engaging visit to a vibrant seacoast life.
Wow again:p glad to see you had such a positive experience with it. I'd not heard of it before...that's what's good about this.

Originally Posted by BooBooKittyFock (Post 2230330)
Barton Fink
This film was amazing, I don’t know why I put it off for so long.
I love that film too and think it's very special!

CosmicRunaway 08-15-21 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by BooBooKittyFock (Post 2230330)
Thanks for the rec!
Glad you enjoyed it! Your review makes me want to watch it again haha.

Allaby 08-15-21 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2230371)
I say WOW too! So glad you liked it, that's important to me. I'm a huge fan of Elia Kazan, he's one of my favorite directors. Have you seen many of his films? He's got a lot of great ones.

@Allaby I'm going to watch your other recommendation for me The Marrying Kind tonight, just as a bonus watch. Looking forward to it.

Wow again:p glad to see you had such a positive experience with it. I'd not heard of it before...that's what's good about this.

I love that film too and think it's very special!
I've seen 7 of Kazan's films and they were all good to great. A Face in the Crowd is now my favourite of his. East of Eden, Gentlemen's Agreement and On the Waterfront are all great too. Panic in the Streets would be my least favourite of his films that I have seen, but it was still good (a 7/10).

BooBooKittyFock 08-15-21 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2230416)
Glad you enjoyed it! Your review makes me want to watch it again haha.

Lmao, at the end I couldn’t stop thinking “What’s in the box, what’s in the box”
Thankfully Se7en showed us what was in the box.

edarsenal 08-15-21 03:07 PM

While not at the very top of my favorite Coen, it is the most cerebral of theirs which definitely says a lot for it. I have a review commenting on what I enjoyed about it in a HoF somewheres but too blah today to go a-searchin.
Regardless very awesome you enjoyed it, Boo-Boo. (LOVE the Jay and Silent Bob reference btw)

CosmicRunaway 08-15-21 05:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=80245

The Raid (2011)
Directed By: Gareth Evans
Starring: Iko Uwais, Joe Taslim, Yayan Ruhian

I thought people were understating the similarities between The Raid and Dredd, and that it would just be the basic premise that was the same. It does go slightly deeper than that, but they're clearly two very different films. While Gareth Evans did joke about needing to rush production of The Raid when the script for Dredd leaked online, I do believe that the resemblance is entirely coincidental, and largely a consequence of restricting action to a single enclosed location.

The Raid opts for a more gritty, realistic approach to its cinematography. Filming fast-paced action on a handheld camera without the assistance of a steadicam often leads to a shaky mess that's hard to watch. Luckily here it is just a stylistic choice, rather than something being used to intentionally hide stuntmen or poor choreography, so the action is still clearly framed, and it's easy to follow what's going on. It does border on being too hectic at times, but it works well overall.

The film really comes into its own when it drops the guns and switches to martial arts. This is when the physical abilities of its actors are on full display, with impressive hand-to-hand sequences that look and feel appropriately brutal. Dialogue is fairly minimal throughout, and with such a simple premise, it's refreshing that there isn't any unnecessary exposition. It does feel like the runtime could've been trimmed to a lean 90 minutes, but cutting any of the action would be a disgrace to the choreographers' excellent work.

SpelingError 08-15-21 08:51 PM

Yeah, The Raid is pretty awesome. Big fan of it.

BooBooKittyFock 08-15-21 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2230530)

The Raid (2011)

The film really comes into its own when it drops the guns and switches to martial arts. This is when the physical abilities of its actors are on full display, with impressive hand-to-hand sequences that look and feel appropriately brutal. Dialogue is fairly minimal throughout, and with such a simple premise, it's refreshing that there isn't any unnecessary exposition. It does feel like the runtime could've been trimmed to a lean 90 minutes, but cutting any of the action would be a disgrace to the choreographers' excellent work.

Glad you liked the film!

BooBooKittyFock 08-16-21 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2229452)
Round 1

@Citizen Rules @Allaby
-------------
@edarsenal @jiraffejustin
--------------
@CosmicRunaway @BooBooKittyFock
--------------

Let's start this!
Tag your partner when you post your three movie selections for them, they will then choose one of them that they haven't seen.

If you don't know your partner's movie taste just do a little research, or just ask them.
What day will every new round fall on?

Citizen Rules 08-16-21 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by BooBooKittyFock (Post 2230601)
What day will every new round fall on?
Good question...I don't know to be honest. The days could change but about a week after the previous round the new one can start. Kind of depends on how active people are.

jiraffejustin 08-16-21 11:58 AM

Black Narcissus

I figured with it being Pressburger and Powell that I should expect greatness as they have yet to fail me. Visually this is an A1 film with gorgeous technicolor and top-of-the-line tricks-of-the-trade that (not to beat a dead horse) look a million times better than the CGI that would be used today. The only negative I can think of in the visual front is that sometimes there is a glowing white line where the painting and real stuff collide, but I wouldn't have even noticed that had it not been pointed out to me. This film is also one of the most sexually tense films I've seen in recent memory, and that is without ever really showing anything at all. It is all done with wonderful facial expressions and excellent direction. The scenes where Kanchi is on her knees at the feet of the Young General are about as sexually overt as you can be, but there is also the fact that she is a poor orphan and he is nobility. Works on multiple levels there as they say. Tremendous facial acting by the ladies playing the Nuns, specifically Clodagh and Ruth, but there isn't really a negative mark to be given in that department to the nuns. Great film that works as a psychosexual drama and a haunted/cursed place horror film.

edarsenal 08-16-21 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 2230685)
Black Narcissus

I figured with it being Pressburger and Powell that I should expect greatness as they have yet to fail me. Visually this is an A1 film with gorgeous technicolor and top-of-the-line tricks-of-the-trade that (not to beat a dead horse) look a million times better than the CGI that would be used today. The only negative I can think of in the visual front is that sometimes there is a glowing white line where the painting and real stuff collide, but I wouldn't have even noticed that had it not been pointed out to me. This film is also one of the most sexually tense films I've seen in recent memory, and that is without ever really showing anything at all. It is all done with wonderful facial expressions and excellent direction. The scenes where Kanchi is on her knees at the feet of the Young General are about as sexually overt as you can be, but there is also the fact that she is a poor orphan and he is nobility. Works on multiple levels there as they say. Tremendous facial acting by the ladies playing the Nuns, specifically Clodagh and Ruth, but there isn't really a negative mark to be given in that department to the nuns. Great film that works as a psychosexual drama and a haunted/cursed place horror film.

I was pretty amazed by it when it was nominated for me in the first Personal Rec HoF. And very happy to hear and pleasantly amazed by your score.
Psychosexual drama is an excellent description of it while at the same time, never fully expresses the experience of viewing this film. If that makes sense.

Never knew about the glowing white line so I imagine I'll be looking for it on my next viewing of this.
When I wrote about it, part of that review HAD to include images:

https://thelongtakedotnet.files.word...47-644x356.jpg
https://theeyeoffaith.files.wordpres...6&h=515&crop=1
https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/c...knarcissus.png
https://thedreamofknowledge.files.wo...-monastery.jpg
https://media1.tenor.com/images/1029...temid=15123060[/quote]

edarsenal 08-16-21 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2230530)

The Raid (2011)

I thought people were understating the similarities between The Raid and Dredd, and that it would just be the basic premise that was the same. It does go slightly deeper than that, but they're clearly two very different films. While Gareth Evans did joke about needing to rush production of The Raid when the script for Dredd leaked online, I do believe that the resemblance is entirely coincidental, and largely a consequence of restricting action to a single enclosed location.

The Raid opts for a more gritty, realistic approach to its cinematography. Filming fast-paced action on a handheld camera without the assistance of a steadicam often leads to a shaky mess that's hard to watch. Luckily here it is just a stylistic choice, rather than something being used to intentionally hide stuntmen or poor choreography, so the action is still clearly framed, and it's easy to follow what's going on. It does border on being too hectic at times, but it works well overall.

I agree, cutting it WOULD HAVE been a disgrace to the incredible work of the choreographers. So, SOOO many cringing "OH SH#T!" fight moments in this film that goes beyond stylistic into the - as you remarked, "Brutal", and yet it never ever gets mundane or overdone. In fact, it truly does escalate as the film reaches its climax. This really says a lot for a minimalistic storyline and dialogue set in one location - or rather, the many floors in one building.

Also, the hand-held filming is a perfect fit for this intense, action film. Complimenting those hectic moments that occur.

jiraffejustin 08-16-21 01:56 PM

Some of the close-ups of the women would make excellent screenshots as well. I'm too lazy to do this, but if I wasn't I'd go back through and grab some in order and show the progression of these women throughout the film. From the way they are shot to the lighting techniques used and the way they are framed in doorways and other places, such as Ruth peering around the banister, the makeup on Ruth near the end, and obviously how these women managed to manipulate their faces, it was all tremendously visually represented.

CosmicRunaway 08-16-21 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2230714)
So, SOOO many cringing "OH SH#T!" fight moments in this film that goes beyond stylistic into the - as you remarked, "Brutal", and yet it never ever gets mundane or overdone.
I think the first time I went "OH WOW" was when Rama does a horizontal jump backwards through a door frame, dragging a guy with him to slam down on the broken wood below.

I do really like any stunts that involve doors, even though that one was essentially open haha. My favourite will probably always be David Belle slipping through a door's small window in District B13 though. Super impressive.

Citizen Rules 08-17-21 11:38 AM

Round 2

@Citizen Rules @BooBooKittyFock
-------------
@edarsenal @Allaby
--------------
@CosmicRunaway @jiraffejustin

Everyone is done with Round 1, so we can start the next round now.

jiraffejustin 08-17-21 11:55 AM

@CosmicRunaway

I'll add more choices later if you want me to, but here is a quick choice that I didn't see on your Letterboxd or MoFo Lists: Throne of Blood (1957; Kurosawa)

I'm at work, but I wanted to get something out there quicker than I did last time.

CosmicRunaway 08-17-21 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 2230950)
I'll add more choices later if you want me to, but here is a quick choice that I didn't see on your Letterboxd or MoFo Lists: Throne of Blood (1957; Kurosawa)

I'm at work, but I wanted to get something out there quicker than I did last time.
I've not seen that one yet, and I do love Toshiru Mifune. If you don't think you'll have time to find two more suggestions (there's no rush btw), I am more than happy to watch Throne of Blood. :up:

jiraffejustin 08-17-21 12:21 PM

Here are some quick scatter-gun style picks for you. Normally it would take me time to whittle down this list, but here is the raw, uncut rough list of picks that came to mind.

Throne of Blood
Who Killed Captain Alex?
Black Girl (1966)
Demons (1971)
At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul (1964)
Amarcord
The Decameron (1971)
Bottle Rocket
All That Heaven Allows

CosmicRunaway 08-17-21 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 2230957)
Here are some quick scatter-gun style picks for you. Normally it would take me time to whittle down this list, but here is the raw, uncut rough list of picks that came to mind.
I thought you were supposed to be at work? :p

A couple of those looks interesting, but Throne of Blood was honestly a great pick, so I'll go with that.

edarsenal 08-17-21 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2230753)
I think the first time I went "OH WOW" was when Rama does a horizontal jump backwards through a door frame, dragging a guy with him to slam down on the broken wood below.

I do really like any stunts that involve doors, even though that one was essentially open haha. My favourite will probably always be David Belle slipping through a door's small window in District B13 though. Super impressive.

I've always wanted to see District B13 just for that style of acrobatics. I think the very first time I saw, what could be the genesis of that style was seeing Jackie Chan when Rumble in the Bronx came out and for me, fences work the same way.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f0/8d...65afec54ba.gif

Its evolving into this is extraordinary

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ee/4e...f236795342.gif

Allaby 08-17-21 01:50 PM

@edarsenal

My suggestions for you are:

Memories of Murder (2003)
Tokyo Story (1953)
Foreign Correspondent (1940)

CosmicRunaway 08-17-21 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2230986)
I've always wanted to see District B13 just for that style of acrobatics. I think the very first time I saw, what could be the genesis of that style was seeing Jackie Chan when Rumble in the Bronx came out and for me, fences work the same way.
Is this a hint that someone should give you the option to watch it during the roulette haha?

District B13 has some great stunts, and it's more than worth checking out for those alone. The plot is pretty generic, but it's a fun time if that's the kind of action flick you're in the mood for. David Belle, who plays the main character, is actually one of the pioneers of parkour.

I've not seen Rumble in the Bronx since it was new, and I keep mixing up a lot of Jackie Chan's films, to the point where I can't tell most of them apart. I should probably give it a rewatch.

edarsenal 08-17-21 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 2230715)
Some of the close-ups of the women would make excellent screenshots as well. I'm too lazy to do this, but if I wasn't I'd go back through and grab some in order and show the progression of these women throughout the film. From the way they are shot to the lighting techniques used and the way they are framed in doorways and other places, such as Ruth peering around the banister, the makeup on Ruth near the end, and obviously how these women managed to manipulate their faces, it was all tremendously visually represented.
I know EXACTLY what you mean.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-fG6Yvmf9J8...narcissus5.gif
https://i.gifer.com/5xx8.gifhttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ygKl7pCspW...narcissus1.gif
https://64.media.tumblr.com/a31bbef5...gw4o1_500.gifv
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ArcticDism...restricted.gif

Citizen Rules 08-17-21 02:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=80285
The Marrying Kind (George Cukor 1952)

@Allaby chose three movies for me and I went with One Foot in Heaven but I should've picked this one as I was impressed!

Judy Holliday is one unique actress who sadly didn't make that many movies. She won an Oscar for Best Actress for Born Yesterday (1950). Two years later she was hauled in front of House Un-American Activities Committee a victim of McCarthyism and charged with being a communist...What resulted was a two year hiatus from movies which basically stalled her once promising movie career. She only made 9 feature movies where she was prominently featured. I've seen 3 of her films now and plan on watching the rest. Judy Holliday died at 43.

The Marrying Kind is labeled a comedy drama, but it's a very frank look at a young, poor married couple who experience tragedy and end up turning on each other. It was a honest look at marriage especially for Hollywood circa 1952. I was impressed with the screenplay and of course by George Cukor who's one of the great humanist directors. This was Aldo Ray's first film and he's quite believable as a sometimes insecure, jerk of a husband.