Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Reviews (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Pyro's Piss Poor Flixster Quickies (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=13920)

Pyro Tramp 08-17-07 06:35 PM

Pyro's Piss Poor Flixster Quickies

The Goonies

Classic romp. Kids film that isn't childish and you can see up the girls skirt in most shots for added value.

The Illusionist

Shame they couldn't conjure an illusion to cover the predictable ending and lack of depth but otherwise pretty good; more satisfying than The Prestige.

Accepted

If you can accept you're not going to laugh, then you can probably accept watching it....

Rush Hour 3

The final nail in Chan's coffin, after the embarassing wirework, the redundant CGI here is as good as Chan's dyed hair and facelifts. A nothing plot holds nothing together, flat humour, bad writing, horribly predictable twists that are beyond obviou...(read more)s and worst of all a complete lack of any kung fu from Chan. Steals shamelessly and directly from in-numerable superior sources, even it's predecessors. Nothing to recommend, worst film since the likes of 'Little Man'/'White Chicks' and Rob Schneider films.

Idiocracy

Find it hard to believe this is only 500 years in the future, don't find it hard to understand why they had trouble marketing it to America. Good fun and another reason to laugh at the yanks.

Vacancy

Unfortunately it's a 'Hostel' knock-off, fortunately it's a lot better, despite the odd cliche.

Pyro Tramp 08-17-07 06:39 PM

Re: Pyro's Piss Poor Flixster Quickies

My Super Ex-Girlfriend

For a trailer that looked like it gave the whole film away, turned out quite enjoyable. Good performances all round and some nice touches.

Surf's Up

An enjoyable CGI-er that doesn't rely on love story or dwell too much on sentiment compared to others. Liked the docu style it took and The Dude in CGI form.

Mr. Bean's Holiday

Not particularly amusing or original but the female lead is HOT.

I Know Who Killed Me

I don't care. Couldn't be bothered with more than 15mins.

Hard Boiled

An ogry of bullets and balletic violence that led Woo to sell his style overseas, to far lesser effect. This is THE seminal action film, surpassing even 'Die Hard'.

First Blood (Rambo: First Blood)

Great classic action that's held itself well over 25 years.

Cusack forced by room 1408 into commiting suicide, outcome- i wanted to kill msyelf first to stop watching this monotonous snoozer. King's short story should've been a short film.

Outlaw

Outlaw should be outlawed, what could have been a good film is wasted in it's own over confidence.

Rambo III

Rambo aids Arabs, takes out Russian army in a trench with a bow and arrow. **** em? **** me.

Rambo: First Blood Part II

Quality 80s action. Rambo takes on Russian army and Vietnamese, and wins. Some predictable cliches but fun nonetheless.

The Number 23

2.3/5

Blades of Glory

Has the odd funny bit but isn't anywhere near a classic that Anchorman is.

Requiem for a Dream

Great employment of editing, really effective downward spiral of addiction with some brilliant acting.

Donnie Darko

An excellent film with incredible plot. Some fine debuts and some great dialogue. A huanting masterpiece that should stay the cult film it was so the idiots who don't understand/appreciate it don't bother people who do

The Bird People in China

Despite Miike's name being synonymous with twisted depravity this really proves it all wrong and establishes him as a truly legendary director able to sucessfully turn his hand at any genre. Some beautiful poetic images are captured and a genuinely ...(read more)touching and enjoyable journey of 2 characters lovingly developed throughout. Miike's dishes out cultural clashes (Japanese in China etc) and references, again not fully comprehensible to Western audiences but maybe not very subtle for Eastern.

nebbit 08-17-07 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp (Post 379490)
The Goonies

Classic romp. Kids film that isn't childish and you can see up the girls skirt in most shots for added value. .
I love the Goonies :yup: I wasn't aware of the girls skirt thing, must watch it again :yup:

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
Blades of Glory

Has the odd funny bit but isn't anywhere near a classic that Anchorman is.
I thought this movie is one of those movies that is so corny and silly, that it is great, loved it :yup:

Pyro Tramp 08-17-07 07:14 PM

Yeh, i liked Blades of Glory, some funny bits and good performances but Will Ferrell's films are becoming well to similar, would rather watch Anchorman.

The Prestige 08-17-07 07:31 PM

Yeah, Anchorman was pretty funny, despite Will Ferrell. I'm probably gonna get flamed a bit now, but I just find it difficult to appreciate Will Ferrell's humour. I dunno why, but he kind of annoys me a bit. But then, so does Adam Sandler, Chris Tucker, Steve Carell, etc. I dunno, I guess I need a degree of seriousness in actors, lol. That said, I do like the odd Jim Carrey film.

My favourite comedians are usually those who are not actual comedians such as Paddy Considine (who with his brilliant comic timing stole the show in Hot Fuzz).

nebbit 08-17-07 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by The Prestige (Post 379502)
he kind of annoys me a bit. But then, so does Adam Sandler, Chris Tucker, Steve Carell, etc. I dunno, I guess I need a degree of seriousness in actors, lol. That said, I do like the odd Jim Carrey film.
I'm with you :yup:

Pyro Tramp 08-17-07 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by The Prestige (Post 379502)
Yeah, Anchorman was pretty funny, despite Will Ferrell. I'm probably gonna get flamed a bit now, but I just find it difficult to appreciate Will Ferrell's humour. I dunno why, but he kind of annoys me a bit. But then, so does Adam Sandler, Chris Tucker, Steve Carell, etc. I dunno, I guess I need a degree of seriousness in actors, lol. That said, I do like the odd Jim Carrey film.

My favourite comedians are usually those who are not actual comedians such as Paddy Considine (who with his brilliant comic timing stole the show in Hot Fuzz).
Think it's a Atlantic difference, i can kinda see what you mean about them, i loath Adam Sandler films now, he's completely lost it; do like some Larry David though. And the more i watch Hot Fuzz, the more i think Considine makes it. Watching that and Dead Man's Shoes, you see how brilliant of an actor he is.

Pyro Tramp 08-17-07 08:30 PM

The Hills Have Eyes

Finally a brutal horror film without any of the Hollywood pussyfooting, has excellent direction, gore and suspense. Awesome horror film that works and in some aspects beats the original hands down. Aja is looking like the man who people should be w...(read more)atching, not Eli-shitting-Roth.

Oldboy

Bold and brilliant, excellent in every respect from the twisting and twisted story, direction of poetic slow motion violence and visceral single shot fight scenes to Escherial flashbacks, characters that are developed and flutter between empowered and flawed yet all illicit a degree of sympathy and disturbing but epic climax. Even with a little knowledge of Korea's history, the metaphors are powerful and equal the rest of the production. Even though the twist is one of the more memorable moments, it's great to have a film that doesn't center upon this meaning repeat viewing aren't lessened, it holds itself up. The only minor is the initial shock isn't there a second time but it just allows the rest to shine. Few films can be equally effecting in visual, narrative, editing, music thus the best. Film. Ever.

Jackie Brown

On par with 'Kill Bill 2' as his best film. Writing and homage interwoven into a reworked blaxploitation with a narrative unhampered by Tarantino's attempts to wow, through confusion, instead an actual plot with a variety of interesting characters w...(read more)riten as such, not just vessels to deliver his dialogue. Wonder how similar it is to source 'Rum Punch'.

Inland Empire

Almost avant-garde, almost a piece of pure art. Yes, it's self indulgent but when you're a mad genius like Lynch it doesn't matter. Thoroughly involving that's as much about manipulating the audience as entertaining. Epic master work and the culmin...(read more)ation of Lynch's work, American's best Auteur?

Hot Fuzz

Awesome performances and some awesome showcasing of Britain, more so than any other film. Pegg and Wright know their stuff and make the 'Shaun of the Dead' of cop films, albiet more 'Johnathon Creek' than 'Bad Boys'.

Izo

A profound waking and completely metaphorical and philosophical outlook on life. Some startling images and kinetic violence and savage bloodshed to enjoy even if the existentialism washes over you. The greatest accomplishment of a maverick auteur and ...(read more)a rich film to unravel as each sees fit.

Grindhouse

Planet Terror was brilliant zombie fun and all round good with quality gore and OTT action, yet perhaps lets down Death Proof which can't live up to the fun of PT, mainly because Tarantino has (yet again) got his head up his ass. While DP may tick ge...(read more)neric markers of Grindhouse it needn't have, replace arrogant conversations between uninteresting characters with Kurt Russel being badass and either be a hack and slasher or women's revenge movie.

Kill Bill, Volume 2

My fav Tarantino film, his writing abilities are used with his ego out the mix, mostly. Sporadic outbursts of more relevant and intense violence rival the firsts all out and preposterous scenes in a character driven piece that pays more homage than ...(read more)it does steal. His choice of music is perfectly fitting yet again.

The Devil's Rejects

A wild excessive exploitational ride that, bar Hills Have Eyes remake, hasn't been done since 80s. A whole lot of fun for genre fans, maybe not so much for others. Unfortunately, some set pieces tend to stand out as such but worth sticking with for...(read more) ending alone.

Sunshine

Best sci-fi film of years; the dark tones of isolation echo Alien and a sense of awe and mystery of the unknown ala 2001. If the plot is somewhat generic, it's subtleties work well in revising the armeggedon flicks expectations.

Dawn of the Dead

A worthy remake that takes '28 Days Later' running zombie and cements it as the new version. Some good gore and some good action, definitely one of the few remakes in the recent slew to reccomend.

Pan's Labyrinth (El Laberinto del fauno)

Sublime blend of War and dark fairytale that's not afraid to pull punches. Moving story, splendid visual design. Sure to make Top 10 of decade.

The Fountain

A stunning piece of art, magnificent trilogy of love, that suprisingly Jackman and Weisz handle well. Aronofsky proves his talent as one of the milleniums greatest talents with some striking shots and imagination.

Blade Runner

A classic, beautifully designed and shot sci-fi masterpiece with an intriguing philosophical look on human nature.

Evil Dead 2

More a vehicle for Bruce Campbell than anything else, with his insane amounts of charisma and talent for physical comedy. Combine the best screen character and actor with Raimi's intuitive direction add some zombies and you've got perfection.

Chinatown

A brilliant revionist noir, ingeniously crafted by Polanski to defy convention yet make a the perfect genre film, that's not to mention the performances of tragic Dunaway and cool yet clueless Nicholson.

Mulholland Drive

Lynch's multi-layered masterpiece, every viewing yields different answers, meaning multiple viewings are essential for the multiple readings. Also, the lesbian scene is HOT.

The Thing

One of the greatest horrors of all time, the SFX are better than the CGI junk of today, done how they should always be done. Carpenter ratchets up tension in every corner, masterclass in horror direction led by strong characters and supported by tight scripting. Not a fan? Yeah, well **** you too.

Blue Velvet

A film with so much depth, one 3000 word essay regarding one aspect can't do it justice. Superb post-modernism and surrealism with none too subtle Freudian undertones. A film all about surfaces open to just as much reading as Mulholland Dr whilst retaining a coherent narrative. Dennis Hopper creates one of the greatest character to grace the silver screen (especially given that he's MacLachlan's subconscious) in a movie watchable countless times.

The Crow

Can't think of many movies where the hero and villian are equally as entertaining or as morally reprehensible giving two fascinating characters and no counterpoints allowing unadultered and merciless vengeance. Combine that with the visuals and violence which are restrained yet striking, plus far more atmosphere than Burton's Batman. Proyas should get more recognition cuz he makes some awesome films and this is the best.

Videodrome

A visceral and scathing critique on culture but also a cult horror with a disturbing premise and accompanying prosthetics, which although are very 80s, Cronenbergs realisation and layered narrative delving between reality creates plenty to keep you glued into the you TV.

Dead Man

Depp's best role and an amazing reworking of the Western genre, full of allegory and readings. I'm sure some of it is lost on me but the characters and whole direction, imagery, music et al are beyond splendid and create a unique and enriching film.

Army of Darkness: Evil Dead 3

Although drifted away from it's horror origins to a Jason and the Argonauts pastiche, it lets Bruce polish Ash into THE greatest hero of all time. Humour and horror take even billing but it's a great progression opposed to re-iterating previous instalments, wisely not taking itself to seriously with great one liners and, well, he's get a frickin chainsaw for a hand. Despite the budget not holding the production up, it gives it the low budget charm that keep this cult. If you think this movie ain't groovy, suck my boomstick.

The Evil Dead

Although Campbell's character is a cowardly hero opposed to legend of later, this one's strength is in the horror, not comedy. The low budget allows room for great creativity, to the extent the low budget improves on the gory horror potrayed admirably by Raimi, even if it includes a girl being raped by a tree (=awesome). Masterclass for young filmmakers in how to make a horror film.

Gozu

The bastard film of Cronenberg body-horror and Lynchian surrealism directed by madman Miike. Certainly combines these aspects for a unique film, not as artistic, philosophical or over the top as his others but it's his happiest medium and has some of the most twisted sick moments committed to celluloid. It's not a particularly fluid movie (pun not intended) but after the finale it will stick with you like a ladle up the bum.

gummo 08-17-07 08:41 PM

Great job Pyro!

Pyro Tramp 08-17-07 08:50 PM

Re-Animator

Feel Evil Dead takes a lot of Re-Animator's thunder but this is a brilliant example of why more people need to recognise the genius of Lovecraft and talents of Jeffrey Combs. Not the typical zombie mayhem, more science than occult but a fine entry a...(read more)t the top of the canon nonetheless.

28 Weeks Later

Very good follow up, superb opening sequence, falls down from there on in but the cinematography and visuals excel.

Die Hard 4.0

Considering how badly it could've gone, it's suprisingly good. McClane's not the everyday hero, but he's not superman which was a wise move when the scale is now a country and 'Die Hard' was all about the fighting in confined spaces. The voilence is still there, but more glossed with no blood, people die, just not hard.

Pulp Fiction

Don't think it's dated well and is too over quoted to have same appeal but there's some good use of his ensembe cast and can't deny it's cultural effect. Still shallow filmmaking, hidden under the catchy dialogue and fractured chronology, some directorial choices are cool but rest is average.

The visuals are Sin City impressive but the battles often lacked scale and the story and some of the narrative devices are rather questionable. That aside it's an epic eye feast with some amazing bits and iffy LoTR fantasy.

Transformers

Does what it says on the tin quite well but not something to cream your pants over, certainly the spectacle is highest priority here

Zebraman

Miike continues to create the most diverse resume imaginable, here with his superhero flick. It's got token weirdness and some budget CGI that and waning plot aside, it's a lot of fun and a different take on the superhero mythos, with some Japanese c...(read more)ultural references, mostly lost to Western audience i'd imagine.

Kill Bill, Volume 1

Not as good as the second, or the Japanese samurai films it *ahem* homages. Hopefully the uncut version will be better but his priorities will still lie in *ahem* homage over anything resembling depth.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

Enjoyable if you don't pay too much attention to the washed up plot and disregard the fact World's End doesn't satisfy this ones weaknesses. Some nice set pieces and cinematography.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Admitedly, as a non fan, the last 3 Potter's have been ok, compared to the first two rubbish ones. However this one spends a lot of time pottering around (pun intended) till the quite cool magic showdown providing much needed relief of the nothingness. Good, no, better performances from kids though shame about Oldman, terrible onscreen death, didn't even realise he was dead.

Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End

On par with the second but still just as redundant. Arrogant and overlong with some misplaced homages (Leone, Python) but has some enjoyable bits and some dark moves for a Disney film.

Disturbia

Not sure how intentional the 'Rear Window' similarity was (i can barely remember it but know it's way similar) but it worked well until it finished with a quite derivative stalk and slash finish, undoing much psychological intrigue the film builds.

War of the Worlds

Interesting perspective of surviving than the spectacle of attack. Dakota Fanning is scarier than the badly designed aliens though. Too many irritating plot holes and Tim Robbins are other flaws but the shooting and action counters.

House of 1000 Corpses

While not original, it's executed with a fine 70s style which makes it a shame the script can't hold up to Zombie's aspirations before getting lost in it's own love for itself.

The Hills Have Eyes II

Completely uneven and badly done all round. Does try to encapsulate the 80s sequel ethos of adding humour. That doesn't work either though. Everything the first did well, this doesn't, but while lots is going wrong for this, it's still watchable with some novel moments

Captivity

Horrible plot with obvious twist poorly delivered, not really any 'gorno' either. Only watchable bit is Elisha's lovely **** and ass despite her un-convincing and badly writen role.

Austin Powers in Goldmember

A good franchise runs right out of energy and ideas. Too much recycled humour that isn't funny, along with new bits that aren't that new or funny. First scene was good, rest was only film that tempted me to walk out.

Running Scared

Has some really ridiculously dumb bits (well, most of it) but at least puts up a different style.

The Day After Tomorrow

CGI weather is cool (pun not intended) but a film about weather? Bad as it sounds.

nebbit 08-18-07 05:07 AM

I like having a quickie with Pyro ;D

Pyro Tramp 08-21-07 08:24 PM

Domino

My name is Domino. I am a bad movie.

Hannibal

Delicious when served with fava beans and a chianti. Better than the starter and probably my favourite course.

The Bourne Ultimatum

Although i'm happy to say it's the best of threequels dominating this year i'd also go as far to say it's the best film of the summer. Despite that, the plot is as shaky as the camera, a collection of extended scenes essentially but it's avoidance of cliche and powerhouse performance from Damon as Bourne lets it flow smooth enough to negate said problems.

spudracer 08-21-07 08:33 PM

Well done! :yup:

nebbit 08-22-07 06:48 AM

Arrrrrrrrrrrr more Quickies I seem to coping with them quite well :randy:
Oh, the little reviews are good too :yup:

Sinny McGuffins 08-23-07 05:45 PM

I quite like these little quickies too. Keep it up, Pyro! :up:

michaelcorleone 08-23-07 05:50 PM

Flixster's beautiful, ain't it?
Those are really good Flixster quickies... I don't like My Super Ex-Girlfriend at all, but those are all well-written for sure.

Pyro Tramp 08-28-07 10:53 AM

Superbad

Was the comedy 'Knocked Up' should have been, good chemistry and acting from the cast, great writing as well- a lot of relateable humour and some slightly more crazy moments make an above standard comedy not dominated by too sickly or cliched romance.

Knocked Up

Could've been good if they put some jokes in. A grounding that only really serves to provide the fun banter which is the only real comedy here, thus isn't a particularly fluid film but fair play for not going for the gross out cliches.

Halloween (2007)

Zombie's gives a fair shot at this remake, adding a lengthy development of Myers in the Mental Institution however after this addition he quickly ends up copying bits in directly from the original. Despite that he adds some decent brutality that's l...(read more)acking in the horror genre these days and removed the cheap 'jump' scenes but also lost any sense of tension, letting it revel in the acts of violence in a sense very reminiscent of the 70s.

Manhunter

A fine yet forgotten incarnation in the Hannibal Lector saga. Although lacking Hopkins, Cox does an equally good job and Mann handles the film far better than the Red Dragon remake. Some of the 80s editting lets the film down towards the end but th.e rest is a great psycholigical detective flick.

The Devil Wears Prada

Really bland and poorly written movie, but then i'm not really the target audience.

You, Me and Dupree

Suprisingly apt film that works at what it aims to, though not being overly funny does provide a good time.

Domino

My name is Domino. I am a bad movie.

Pyro Tramp 08-28-07 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by michaelcorleone (Post 380498)
Flixster's beautiful, ain't it?
Those are really good Flixster quickies... I don't like My Super Ex-Girlfriend at all, but those are all well-written for sure.
I didn't think My Super Ex-Girlfriend was fantastic but from the trailer i thought it would be horrible and really didn't want to watch it, so i enjoyed it a lot more when i did, plus i thought it was an original concept and didn't take itself too seriously which counted for a lot.

Pyro Tramp 08-31-07 07:39 AM

Urotsukidôji (Legend of the Overfiend)

Pushes limits of decency but is a good laugh at the same time. Some insane monster rape but also some pretty cool animated scenes. Complete opposite to Miyazaki anime.

Ninja Scroll

Frickin amazing. Blood, rape, monsters, monster rape, swords. Everything.

Akira

Incredibly intricate animation and equally superb in all aspects.

Amelie

As near to perfect film i've seen. Impossible to watch and not feel warm and fuzzy inside. Tatou really owns it as a great quirky character. Definitely give her a serious seeing to.

Dark City

Really underrated film, lovingly crafted by Proyas, a really underrated director also. Has some brilliant sets and a story before it's time that would seem like plagairism if you don't look at it's release date....

The Hitcher

Classic cult B-movie with an outstanding performance from Hauer rivalling Roy Batty which really makes the film.

The Brood

A typical early Cronenberg flick with his recurrent themes, though aren't as fresh, well done here or interestingly explored as his other works. Few too many direction and budget problems as well. That aside a couple of creepy moments and interesting addition to his filmography.

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

It's rare that i'd watch a film that ends with a mass orgy and find it ridiculous but with Perfume i did, though the finale is pretty crazy and memorable. It's passionately shot however thought it would be a far richer visual affair but nonetheless has some great cinematography and music. It's only really let down by the ironic sub character conclusions, giving a quirky tone akin to Amelie, not suited to a film that's so dark.

Sedai 08-31-07 10:17 AM

Very cool thread, and I love all the 'lil comments you post about each film...

Pyro Tramp 08-31-07 10:38 AM

Cheers. RE: your comment, Aja is THE horror talent to watch imo. Have you seen Switchblade Romance/Haute Tension?

Sedai 08-31-07 10:43 AM

I did see Haute Tension, and, although I really liked the style, the thing fell apart for me with the reveal at the end. I mean, it just didn't make any damn sense. Some GREAT scenes in the film, though, which is probably why the reveal bothered me so much...

Pyro Tramp 08-31-07 11:20 AM

Yeh, i tend to gloss the end out my memory but the violence in it is bar none. Realised i probably repeated what i said in my review in last post...

Pyro Tramp 09-04-07 04:58 PM

Marathon Man

Some iffy editing choices but still has some effective scenes and excellent performances from all the cast but the plot isn't always done justice in it's expostion but still a good, fun ride.

The Protector (Tom yum goong)

Absolutely horrendous plot that the glossy action choreography initially covers up but can only do so much. There's some brilliant action and real talent, again, from Tony Jaa but some of it's too ridiculous and plain dumb like elephant throwing, not too mention some action scenes more like James Bond then Muay Thai. Highly disappointing saved only by the odd bit of amazing athletic ability shown.

Sugarhouse

It's a tight film and a great execution of a simple premise with excellent performances and extremely realistic sounding dialogue. Hoepfully in years to come this will stand out as an important entry in the British film catalogue alongside Meadows.

Wrong Turn 2: Dead End

It's a film i can't see anyone asking to be made or any reason it should be after the very average first but here it is. First of all, i can say why this film was awesome in one word- Henry ****ing Rollins. The dude gets his own Rambo story and is one of the very few characters in horror films that i genuinely was hoping would NOT die. Talking of dying, there's some pretty cool kills, vertical split, explosion to name a few and while the film as a whole isn't as good as the Hills Have Eyes, everything works really well and has a good feel to it. Highly recommended against the tripe horror sequels released thus far this year.

The Invasion

The fourth incarnation of Invasion of the Body Snatchers and it's pretty awful. The subtlety and ambiguity that made the first two so effective is completely removed in favour of bombastic Hollywood styles. Ironically it's the fim's weak attempt at social commentary (after all the original was all a massive metaphor) that destroys the ending, scenes which have always been the most memorable moments. That's not even mentioning the poorly realised and predictable plot, and probably the most use of the word 'love' in any film. Curious to see the original cut before studio interference, another irony considering the original was altered to remove the oppressive ending.

The Aviator

Soars high for a film that i didn't think would be as engaging as it is. DiCaprio further establishes himself as a talent amongst some great set designs but bit iffy CGI in a more restrained Scorsese film that tells an interesting story of one man.

The Departed

First of all, see 'Infernal Affairs' before this, because promoters seemed to have disgustlingly neglected to tell people this. That out of the way, it's a great film in many respects (except for the unapologetic scenes theived) that's a great Scorsese flick but not what he should have got his Oscar for. In comparison to the original, it left out a lot of scenes that made the original work well but does incorporate the rest of the trilogy, which are admitedly extended preludes and conclusions. Notably the only Wahlberg performance i've been able to stomach and Damon and DiCaprio show why they're the top of their generation. Would be considerably higher were it original.

Infernal Affairs

Far superior to The Departed if you're interested. Christopher Doyle lends his hand to the cinematography which is as exciting as the fast paced rivalry between the two lead characters wonderfully played by legend Tony Leung and Andy Lau.

nebbit 09-04-07 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp (Post 382666)
Sugarhouse

It's a tight film and a great execution of a simple premise with excellent performances and extremely realistic sounding dialogue. Hoepfully in years to come this will stand out as an important entry in the British film catalogue alongside Meadows.
Thanks have added this to my must see list :yup:

Pyro Tramp 09-04-07 10:07 PM

Awesome Nebs! Not sure if it will run at cinemas in Oz though

Pyro Tramp 09-07-07 08:21 PM

From Beyond

Imagine a ham and cheese sandwich buttered with Lovecraft, from the 80s and that's From Beyond. Combs is brilliant to watch as always and there's some of those long lost special effects, y'know, that don't involve computers.

Performance

Complete with trippy editing, verging on the surreal much like Roeg's 'The Man Who Fell to Earth'. It's has a great exploration of the crime underworld and 60/70s hippy drug culture and subsequent clash, making it a must for fans of said themes. J.agger is suprisingly effective but James Fox steals it.

Apocalypto

Not quite as epic as i anticipated but still rather involving and illuminating film. Can't help thinking it would be far more enjoyable without the subtitles as they often were a very modern dialect and detracted from the atmosphere and setting. The final ending was a bit long and weak but worth watching just for being a great insight and recreation of a period not seen in movies.

The Crying Game

Pretty average film probably only remembered for it's so called twist, that isn't really a twist at all. Some interesting themes that could have been interesting if given more time and presidence over others. Performance were so-so and i found more than a few bits hard to swallow (pun not intended), not to mention Whitaker's accent which seemed dubbed (?). A crying shame.

Death Wish

Think i might have missed something here, seems to stop just when it should be starting, leaving some talking and the odd bit of violence that looks tame even against films of a similar age (see Clockwork Orange).

Rise: Blood Hunter

Uninspired revenge film masquerading as a vampire film. No real development of any themes or characters, nor any depth leaving a very tepid film. Micheal Chilkis is always watchable even though is essentially Vic Mackey with a goatee and Lucy Liu has a minor boob flash if that floats your boat.

Pyro Tramp 09-11-07 11:38 AM

Unknown (La Sconosciuta)

A fantastic slow boiling thriller that keep it's pace at a perfect level, letting the mystery reveal itself without being laboured. It's not an especially original story but it's delivered well, even if it does get lost in it's multitude of themes, sometimes verging on uneven with it's tone. Morricone, as most mention, as done excellent score for the film and it's nice to see a new film from Tornatore of 'Cinema Paradiso' fame.

This Is England

Everything about the film is almost spot on except the script that really lets it down; predictable twist and it just seems like a snippet from a longer film- under-developed and unsatisfying. That aside, the young star shines and not just the setting but the attention to it and the themes/politics of the era were interwoven particularly well and supported with documentary footage.

Death Proof

A Tarantino movie will have two things, a cool soundtrack and Tarantino's ego. Unfortunately, Death Proof is meant to be a homage, not an opportunity for Quentin to fellate himself, like he does; he's made a 'Tarantino' film opposed to a 'Grindhouse.' film, completely missing the mark. I mean, who the **** wants Eli Roth in a film, he can't direct, suprisingly can't act. Stuntman Mike is played splendidly by Russel but he's pushed into more of a cameo role in favour of unnecessary dialogue between borish characters, Tarantino's cliched himself with his own pompous scripting of 'conversations' taking priority of narrative. Luckily the two (yes, there's ONLY TWO) car chases go to somewhat redeem the rest. If anyone else had handled this film, it would have been good, i'd daresay, but as it stands it's even WORSE than the Grindhouse cut.

A History of Violence

This is probably my favourite and possibly the best Graphic Novel adaptation; Cronenberg not only stays loyal to the source but adds his own input and improves many aspects of the Novel. Although Cronenberg's most restrained film it still has some great underlying psychological issues and the some smooth sporadic scenes of violence. I was never a fan of Mortensen in LoTR but here he fits the role perfectly.

gummo 09-11-07 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp (Post 383573)
A History of Violence

This is probably my favourite and possibly the best Graphic Novel adaptation; Cronenberg not only stays loyal to the source but adds his own input and improves many aspects of the Novel. Although Cronenberg's most restrained film it still has some great underlying psychological issues and the some smooth sporadic scenes of violence. I was never a fan of Mortensen in LoTR but here he fits the role perfectly.
This was a graphic novel??? I loved this movie! The violent sex on the stairs was my favourite scene. I've been forgetting to update my reviews...thanks for unintentionally reminding me :D

Pyro Tramp 09-11-07 12:30 PM

Yeah, it was a graphic novel of the same name by John Wagner, read that then watched this again. Also doing my disseration on it. The sex on the stairs was added, in fact most of it post Ed Harris was changed in one way or anther but apart from that it's very similar but both different and funnily the Novel as more 'body horror' Cronenberg moments than he puts in the film.

I've been reading yours on Flixster, want to get Mysterious Skin aka downloading it atm.

Sedai 09-11-07 01:14 PM

More cool stuff, Pyro. Thanks for that...

Thursday Next 09-11-07 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp (Post 383183)

The Crying Game

Pretty average film probably only remembered for it's so called twist, that isn't really a twist at all. Some interesting themes that could have been interesting if given more time and presidence over others. Performance were so-so and i found more than a few bits hard to swallow (pun not intended), not to mention Whitaker's accent which seemed dubbed (?). A crying shame.
I can't agree with you on this one, I think there is a lot more to The Crying Game than the twist. I thought it was effective as both a thriller and a love story. A classic. The only odd notes for me were the cricket and the ending...although you are right about Whitaker, he is awful in it - who would have thought he would end up with a best actor oscar?

Pyro Tramp 09-11-07 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Thursday Next (Post 383632)
I can't agree with you on this one, I think there is a lot more to The Crying Game than the twist. I thought it was effective as both a thriller and a love story. A classic. The only odd notes for me were the cricket and the ending...although you are right about Whitaker, he is awful in it - who would have thought he would end up with a best actor oscar?
I was trying to say there was more to it than the 'twist' which the film is remembered for (was how i came to hear about it), only personally i don't think it's a twist in the typical sense since it informs the whole second act of the film opposed to altering your understanding retrospectively. I did think it was a good thriller and a good romance only these two narratives kept pushing the other over so neither one was given a fair amount of time to really let the film delve into in any great detail as far as i was concerned, think it would have been far better as one or the other, and it wasn't until the end that the time the first act was given became relevant. Made me want to watch Ronin after.

Pyro Tramp 09-20-07 10:21 PM

8 1/2

I don't know if you're allowed to criticise art house, especially when there's a lot being said on modernism and post-modernism, self reflection and contextual elements that i probably miss. There's some great imagery but it's a long hard watch with little pay off other than the marvellous experience. Although the thing i like most about Fellini is probably Mastroianni.

Superman Returns

Superman should have stayed gone. While nothings particularly bad, nothing's that good. The actors all fill their predecessors shoes ok but nothings added leaving pale shadows, Superman doesn't really kick as much ass as he should in 2h30m and Cyclops is a more interesting character overall. Singer should've stuck and made a good X3.

Heavenly Creatures

Jackson has three periods of work- early low budget gore, mid mainstream movies and more obviously LoTR trilogy. But this film is the highlight of all these periods, dark, funny, unsettling with plenty of imagination, striking visuals and a touching romance story.

Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi

If you think about it, not much of this ones takes place in space but it's still fun. Luke is still annoying, Han is still cool. Would love to have seen what Lynch would've done.

The Passenger

Not sure why this says it was made in 2005.... Anyway, a very special movie, a lot of similarities with Antonioni's Blowup but replaces London for Africa. Can't quite describe what Antonioni does to make such a good film; the story is minimal and not really a major aspect; Nicholson holds it all together hypnotically as the camera and visuals guide the narrative. A haunting movie that works itself into the subconscious.

The Apartment

While there's nothing inherently wrong with the film, a lot of the setting is outdated thus unrelateable but the performances and suprisingly dark humour (often replacing belly laughter), gentle romance all make it a comedy for the ages.

Santa sangre

Not quite sure what i just watched, it's ****ed up with somw whack surreal moments and really twisted but completely compelling and convincing with quite an emotional punch. A true cult masterpiece.

Hatchet

As the poster says, it's not a sequel, a remake or based on a Japanese one; it is in fact Saturday the 14th. For all the enjoyable 80s slasher throwbacks it shoots itself in the foot bringing back the problems they have- stupid continuity, "let's not do this / go here" to have them next scence contradict themselves and typical annoying characters. It does, however, have some cheese deaths and some nice cameos from genre vets. Can only recommend it as a reminder of the slasher's heyday, otherwise stick with Friday the 13th Part 4.

nebbit 09-23-07 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp (Post 384714)
Heavenly Creatures

Jackson has three periods of work- early low budget gore, mid mainstream movies and more obviously LoTR trilogy. But this film is the highlight of all these periods, dark, funny, unsettling with plenty of imagination, striking visuals and a touching romance story.

I love this movie :yup:

Thursday Next 09-23-07 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by nebbit (Post 384955)
Me too. Good 'quickie' review. How about a longer version?

Pyro Tramp 10-20-07 07:45 PM

Highlander

I always remembered think this movies was the balls but watching it again it actually is just balls. Some really dated, cheesy and poor moments but then again, they do provide some of the charm. Still only half buy a Frenchman playing a Scot, and a Scot playing a Spaniard.

Stardust

Enjoyable but never quite matches the obvious inspiration of Princess Bride though liked it's avoidance of an OTT Narnia/LoTR approach. Think i may have laughed at De Niro's cameo more than most of The Simpsons however it only just balances out Gervais' egotistical performance.

Black Sheep (2007)

Not sure this shows a complete lack of ideas or stroke of genius but either way, it's pretty individual. Well, i say individual, i couldn't stop thinking of 'Bad Taste' through out, pretty sure they even used the same house. It has some fun moments like mint sauce as a weapon and sheep shagging but most deaths are off screen and still unsure how far the makers tongues were into their cheeks.

Desperado

People bang on about Rodriguez and 'Sin City' and probably now alongside Tarantino (who unfortunately cameos here) for Grindhouse, but this is THE Rodriguez film they should bang on about. A hyper violent and very sexy, a Mexican John Woo movie if you will. And if you like Salma Hayek (which you damn well should), you get to enjoy her yummy boobs here.

Sheitan (Satan)

I thought Cassel would have a fun cameo but when i realised he was a main character i then thought i wouldn't be able to take him seriously but he really does totally own the film with a magnificent absorbing and very unnerving performance. The film doesn't quite live up to Irreversible or Switchblade Romance to which it's compared since it never really delivers anything graphic or any violence till the last act, instead just delivering an unsettling atmosphere that would have been nicely complimented with a strong ending that should have come 20 minutes after it did, allowing some actual gory and disturbing pay off.

Escape from New York

Amazing. Carpenter at his best with own synth music and Kurt Russell making history with legendary Snake Plissken, supported with quite a talented cast of now forgotten actors.

Escape from L.A.

Is actually an appalling film that really shouldn't have been allowed to ape as much from the original as it has BUT it does have Bruce Campbell and Kurt Russell together for one of the two times thus cinematic greatness is partially achieved, even if Kurt slightly butchers the Snake character.

Mysterious Skin

Well, the box said it was about alien abductions and had quite a decent looking cast so thought why not since had heard good things about it. But wait, it's not about aliens, it's about gays and child abuse (!!) That shock on the shocking content aside, it's actually quite a powerful and well crafted film with interesting characters skillfully portrayed by a very talented young cast.

The Holy Mountain

Holy ****. This film was off the chain crazy. 1000 shades of awesome.

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia

Monster House

Quite impressive, fun times and a nice change of pace in a CGI-er not worrying about directly appealing to younger audiences.

War (Rogue Assassin)

Has trouble living up to any of it's potential and a lot of the marketing is misleading, the titular 'War' isn't Statham and Li mashing it up but the whole plot about setting a war up with Triads and Yakuza. A lot of things could've worked but unfortunately are thrown around half assed and then there's the age old problem that all East Asians looks the same.....

3:10 to Yuma (2007)

Not anything near 'Unforgiven' but a decent Western all the same. A few too many predictable moments and cheesy bits to make it truly good but if you like Westerns give it a go before it's forgotten this time next year.

Malcolm X

Good enough film with an interesting enough story but doesn't pack enough of a punch for true greatness. It's biggest problem was the tendency to film scenes like documentary footage, an empty aesthetic leaving uneven verisimilitude. Denzel does, however, give a great performance, unlike Lee in one of worst cameo roles.

Lawrence of Arabia

As epic as all say it is, much to my surprise. For it's 218m runtime it never really lets up, constantly thrilling and entertaining with a perfect score and some beautiful cinematography. There's only two things that weren't spot on- couple of cheesy edits and the 3 10 minute intermissions of blank screen and music.

One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest

As heart wrenching as it is heart warming. Another fine performance from Nicholson and lot of young faces show their early talent.

The Third Man

Excellent noir that really doesn't look dated in the slightest except for the jarring and pretty poor music, a one note affair used throughout which is often unfitting for the mood.

nebbit 10-21-07 08:00 AM

Thanks Pyro, even though I would never buy the soundtrack of The Third Man, I did think the music went with it :yup:

The Prestige 10-21-07 11:31 AM

Nice little mini reviews, son. Should consider a career writing for the archive section in Total Film.

I liked that you mini reviewed Mysterious Skin, which is one of the most disturbing films I have ever seen in my entire friggin' life. Joseph Levitt Gordan was astonishing and really showed some balls doing what he did in that film.
http://www.thecinemasource.com/movie...n%20Levitt.jpg

Pyro Tramp 10-21-07 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by The Prestige (Post 388610)
Nice little mini reviews, son. Should consider a career writing for the archive section in Total Film.

I liked that you mini reviewed Mysterious Skin, which is one of the most disturbing films I have ever seen in my entire friggin' life. Joseph Levitt Gordan was astonishing and really showed some balls doing what he did in that film.
http://www.thecinemasource.com/movie...n%20Levitt.jpg

Yeah, he really did make the movie, the other guy wasn't bad but it was Levitt who really shined. Once they'd grown up it wasn't quite as disturbing but that scene with young Levitt fellating the other kid after setting the firework off in his mouth was pretty disturbing. Though did like how they handled the coach since they never really vilified him.

linespalsy 10-21-07 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp (Post 388509)
Lawrence of Arabia

As epic as all say it is, much to my surprise. For it's 218m runtime it never really lets up, constantly thrilling and entertaining with a perfect score and some beautiful cinematography. There's only two things that weren't spot on- couple of cheesy edits and the 3 10 minute intermissions of blank screen and music.
Hmm, which cuts did you find cheesy? I thought the editing in that movie was pretty flawless. Other than that, glad you liked it, it is my no.1 movie by far.

Pyro Tramp 10-21-07 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by linespalsy (Post 388641)
Hmm, which cuts did you find cheesy? I thought the editing in that movie was pretty flawless. Other than that, glad you liked it, it is my no.1 movie by far.
Think the main bit that got me was when the train scene kept being inter-cut with the photographer popping up and taking a photo. Though they are really small detractions from a pretty flawless film, as you say.

Pyro Tramp 10-24-07 08:19 PM

Society

Forgetting the poorly realised inherent comment on society it offers, the best description is it's an unintelligent Cronenberg flick. The main body tries to weave a sense of paranoia that works to an extent but weak characters with no psychological development, especially at the end, hamper much of it. The mentioned finale is the defining point of the film with some quite imaginative body horror that's sadly dated, saying that though, i'd take it over CGI any day.

Basket Case

Can't quite decide whether or not the shitness of this film subsequently equates to brilliance, an interesting dilemma....

Planet Terror

Fan-bloody-tastic, easily the better half of the Grindhouse split. The 'extended cut' pretty much adds continuity shots opposed to entire scenes like Death Proof, which were cut because they chugged ass. Would even go as far to say that this ranks up with the best zombie movies with some excellent tongue in cheek cameos and Rodriguez's strong sense of fun and style work well in not taking the project too seriously. Still shame Tarantino had to have give himself a cameo and couldn't have just ****ed off.

Funny Games

Haneke's certainly an interesting filmmaker however his token distancing the audience doesn't work when the 4th wall is broken to directly address them and his 'playing games' with the audience could have been handled in a far less patronising way considering the people who watch it will probably get it. The film's concept is worth watching alone and it's still better than something like Hostel. Some of it could have been done better but luckily is in Hidden/Cache which i'd recommend over this since certain scenes (avoiding spoilers) only have a powerful effect once and when seen repeated in his films loose their effect.

Cache (Hidden)

Harrowing as it is unrewarding. Haneke has a distinct style, choosing to distant the audience and rely on static shots, it's very controlled and the 'shock' moment is well done but some of it seems done in this style just to make that scene work so bit shallow. Either way, it's very distinctive and well worth watching even if you come out bemused.

Pyro Tramp 09-10-08 09:50 AM

Hmm, forgot about this thread so just copying and pasting last post in Movie Tab...

Dirty Dancing- not the iconic classic i thought it was, Swayze was cool though.

Repo Man- was the cult classic i've heard its meant to be. Glad to have finally finished it. Like all the little touches like no product labels- just the names of what each thing is.

Dressed to Kill- fairly predictable with some nice direction. Annoying dream ending let it down and slightly over long start.

Wild Strawberries- took a while but once the lead characters life started being examined and the resonances his past as had come out, it's pretty good.

Persona- wow, David Lynch owes a fair amount to Bergman. Was a very interesting film, initially seems like nothing much where it's twists aren't obvious, more left as questions; seemed to unwind itself for the last few days in my head.

Creepshow- another wow. Utterly worthless, nothing of merit in this weak portmanteau film. Best bit was Leslie Nielson in a straight role.

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer- interesting, was a more low budget film than i expected and not too much happens. It's good enough but there's better examinations of killers but they'll probably be more sugar-coated, this having none.

Commando- easily the best of the Schwarzenegger cheesy action films, with some of the best bad one lines and over the top unapologetic action.

Judge Dredd- ok, so i don't know the comics but i still really enjoyed this. After having not seen it for a good few years i thought it may have dated worse but it still holds up.

Zabriskie Point- admittedly, i only half watched this. Wasn't that gripping but definitely my all time favourite ending.

Syriana- bit convoluted and only seemed to be like that to hide the lack of actual story.

The Prestige 09-10-08 07:49 PM

Agreed about Syriana, mate. I THINK it's a good film but I couldn't understand it to be sure. :indifferent: I need to watch it again, me thinks.

But Judge Dredd getting FOUR stars???!! :eek: Dunno what to say about that one.

John McClane 09-10-08 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by The Prestige (Post 461471)
But Judge Dredd getting FOUR stars???!! :eek: Dunno what to say about that one.
Judge Dredd is the *****. I would totally give it 4 stars, too.

Pyro Tramp 09-10-08 09:30 PM

Well, as i said- disregarding the comics, it's a solid action film with not really much to fault.

Pyro Tramp 10-04-08 10:00 PM

Gonna flick through the pile of discs piling up by the player and hope that's all them.

Atonement- was alright, first of all i thought the direction was really bland but picked up a bit later on. The shot of the beach seemed like an excuse to show off the budget and the ending was a bit swiz and bit too Titanic. Was sad by the end despite that, though.

The Thin Red Line- found the whole experience, which Malick films normally are, to be completely undermined by having a pop-up cast of every actor around. Ensembles are good but made the beautiful film seem like a who's who.

The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford- title aside, mostly loved all this film, pure majestic cinema. When i watch it again, will undoubtedly make the top half of my list.

Harvey- very charming film with the ever watchable Jimmy Stewart, liked it a lot but have trouble connecting with older films unless they have a striking visual style.

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure- ha, what can i say, i loved it. I think. Not sure how far i can love it but did enjoy the heck out of it. Paul Reubens makes one of my all-time performances. A nice departure from the typical over-worked Burton style as well. Wasn't joking about including this in my list.

The Long Goodbye- nice reworking of noir genre, it's on my list, go there instead

Darjeeling Limited- ups and downs, i enjoyed it a lot until it seemed to slow down towards the end, which is always a killer in road movies. Ultimately not very memorable

Superbad- think loved it even more.

The Warriors- some badly dated or just bad editing but a fun ride if you're after a bit of kitsch

Mi:3- still the best in series but after Bourne isn't that great.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas- probably wouldn't get a mention in my next list, one of Gilliam's weaker films but still fun t watch.

(bit of a Sean Bean binge last night)

Silent Hill- absolutely adore the set design and cinematography, would be one of my favourite films if it wasn't for the cutting away to 'outside' world as soon as it got intense. Noticed more ways it pays respect to the VG as well, this time. Definitely grown to love it a lot more since release.

The Hitcher- obviously a redundant film but has some good moments and Sean Bean does a fair job trying to live up to Hauer's superb job. Really like the chase scene as well.

Essex Boys- would be a good Brit crime film, Sean Bean is in one of his best roles as a vile gangster but sadly is cut out of screen time by an annoyingly wimpy lead.

Arrested Development- Season 1- prefer the following season more but still has the same perfect pitch of humour and character.

Bill Hicks: Revelations- the man's a genius. Would be the best comedian around today, considering his topic issues then and the world today.

L'Avventura- ok, not quite finished this one. Really wanted to like it and do to an extent, thus far. But just can't buy in to the new romance that blooms, at all. Maybe because it doesn't seem to bloom at all, just happen for sake of the story. rating n/a

honeykid 10-04-08 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp (Post 379516)
Zebraman

Miike continues to create the most diverse resume imaginable, here with his superhero flick. It's got token weirdness and some budget CGI that and waning plot aside, it's a lot of fun and a different take on the superhero mythos, with some Japanese c...(read more)ultural references, mostly lost to Western audience i'd imagine.
Where did you see this? I saw the trailer on The Machine Gun Girl and thought it looked fantastic. Saw it was Takeshi Miike and thought that I had to see/get it.

Pyro Tramp 10-05-08 10:17 AM

Imported the DVD literally years ago. Seems strange to be advertised on a recent film, unless it's for a new DVD release. Think there might be an R1 DVD. But look on eBay, didn't have a problem finding it there, along with most my Miike flicks

The Prestige 10-05-08 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp (Post 466856)
The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford- title aside, mostly loved all this film, pure majestic cinema. When i watch it again, will undoubtedly make the top half of my list.
This film just gets better and better after each viewing. Really glad to see you love it as much as I do. Watched it in the cinema and felt it's masterful grip. As you probably know, this is going to make it to the top of my list. Just how high it's going to be remains a mystery..

;)

Excellent job, mate.

Pyro Tramp 10-05-08 10:23 AM

Lol, thinking you just get on with that damn list! Now you're top 10 link is gone, i'm getting quite anxious to see the rest :)

The Prestige 10-05-08 10:26 AM

Silent Hill- absolutely adore the set design and cinematography, would be one of my favourite films if it wasn't for the cutting away to 'outside' world as soon as it got intense. Noticed more ways it pays respect to the VG as well, this time. Definitely grown to love it a lot more since release.

I agree with you on this one as well. This JUST missed out on my Top 100. It's got very good imagery and was what Resident Evil should have been in terms of a faithful VG adaptation. you're right, I wish they'd stuck to showing more of the demon world more too. The sirens and everything made it even creepier.

Can't say I agree with the remake of The Hitcher, though. I think that's a
film, personally :/

Pyro Tramp 10-05-08 10:29 AM

Have you put two and two together? After what we was talking about films missing from my list?

The Prestige 10-05-08 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp (Post 466965)
Have you put two and two together? After what we was talking about films missing from my list?
I hadn't until you mentioned the 'two and two' together bit. :D

Pyro Tramp 10-05-08 10:42 AM

Yeah, i think Silent Hill and TAOJJBTCRF are gonna clinch the last two spots on my list, around #70 and #30 respectively.

The Prestige 10-05-08 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp (Post 466971)
Yeah, i think Silent Hill and TAOJJBTCRF are gonna clinch the last two spots on my list, around #70 and #30 respectively.
I think they are definitely deserving of those positions. In fact, I think Jesse James should be even higher on your list..
I might have to take out Eden Lake and dropping it out of the list. I really like the film but upon thinking about it some more, there are better and more deserving films that should be in it's place. We'll see.

Pyro Tramp 10-05-08 10:50 AM

Oh, well i think i missed that one at the cinema. Don't get a chance to go any more. Jesse James is still just a fantastic film, not one i've got more love than respect for so #30 still seems about right, if a bit high. Have to put it after a film i'd rather watch than it.

nebbit 10-10-08 11:40 PM

I saw this at the movies, I liked it except Brad Pitt I thought he was a bit wooden http://bestsmileys.com/poking/2.gif

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas- probably wouldn't get a mention in my next list, one of Gilliam's weaker films but still fun t watch.

Thanks for the short reviews :)

Pyro Tramp 10-13-08 08:43 AM

Battlefield Earth

Ok, so it's not actually the WORST film ever (which was why we watched it in the first place, to check) but it's not very good. Still managed to finish it and only nearly want to slit my wrists a couple of times. Wouldn't recommend it but prob wouldn't hate on it.

Death Race

I'm a big fan of Statham, though he may as well have phoned in this role. Some nice action pieces and some nice violence with PW Anderson throwing in some nice VG-esque touches.

Ashes to Ashes (TV SERIES)

It takes a while to actually give a damn about this show considering we know the twist. More so than Life on Mars, most episodes are misses and doesn't really manage to create a satisfying narrative arch for the series. But it is very well done, though not as obviously set in the past as Mars. 'The Clown' (David Bowie) was pretty lame, unintentionally funny with reminders of Flight of the Conchords and just not very creepy. Was a good ending and having guessed the red herring they threw us at the end, i was pleased with the way it turned out. Shame it isn't all wrapped up here because there's not really any pull for the next Series. Unless the use more Bowie songs (there was like 2 in the whole thing)

Hitman

Wow, i don't know what happened first time i watched this because i didn't think that much of it. It's actually pretty cool, good action and enjoyable.

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot

Felt a bit annoyed the excellent chemistry between Bridges and Eastwood gets split towards the end as they go to rob a bank with 2 others, would have preferred it to stay like the first half and just be a road movie.

Dewey Cox

I may not have seen all the films this spoofs (still got the jokes though, i think) but didn't enjoy this one. It's nice to see Reilly get a starring role but the film feels cheap and too stunted, almost episodic or like a sketch show. No really laugh out loud moments or genuine emotions to counter like most other Apatow films. Beatles bit is probably only highlight

Flight of the Living Dead: Outbreak on a Plane

You may wonder, with a title like that, why this hasn't got a straight 5 buckets. Night of the Living Dead meets Snakes on a Plane? Sure fire win. Only not, spends too long with dull character introduction and lazy scripting is forcing character development with obvious exposition. When zombies start, nothing to write home about, pretty generic and repetitive.

Enchanted

Except for some of the source music they use in the soundtrack, it's an awesome film. Great return for Disney with a post-modern revision of their work that maintains the same magic.

Wolf Creek

After seeing it on Prestige's list, gave it another go. Still takes too long developing characters and less time killing. The divide between the two is pretty obvious and both lessen the other, leaving quite unsatisfying as a film. John Jarrett is pretty cool as the killer but he doesn't get enough to time to become actually threatening. Kinda muddles it way through Easy Rider, The Texas Chain Saw Massacre and a gorno flick but not really surpassing any of it's inspirations.

The Prestige 10-13-08 07:10 PM

GO ON MY SON!!!!! At least you gave Wolf Creek more than three stars. And that's more than fair in my book.

But i'm mostpleased about thefact that you liked Death Race. What did I tell you?!! Brilliant innit. Good job bruv, good job.:)

The Prestige 10-13-08 07:43 PM

Hmmm, so Hitman isn't as bad as people say then? I for one was all for Timothy Olyphant playing the lead, but the reviewers put me off. Gonna give it a try now. Cheers bruv.

Theres an uncut version, right? Is that version better?

Either way, i'm watching this film. Plus, Olga Kurylenko? Phroaww...

http://www.filmbuffonline.com/upload...nko-766637.jpg

Eastern European women are something else..

Pyro Tramp 11-03-08 08:40 PM

Adulthood x2

The double viewing should emphasise how good i thought this slice of British street life was. It's a bit contrived and writer/director/star Noel Clarke seems to forget his character was inherently the 'bad guy' in the superior Kidulthood. Nonetheless, with a pinch of salt still pretty good and loved seeing Plan B in action.

Fright Night

A lot better second time around, not sure why though. Camp but not to the extent of undermining itself, bit dated but fun for the Season nonetheless.

Monster Squad

Not sure what i was expecting after waiting so long to see this. It's not a perfect film but as 80s films go it pretty sweet and surprising how much attention Van Halen got for including 'all the monsters'

Nightbreed

Cronenberg steals this one, and very surprisingly, it's on-screen not off where he does it. His serial killer is possibly the most disturbingly designed i've seen (more so than Lector). Some nice 90s prosthetic horror, which i've good a soft spot for when done well.

Family Guy- Season 6

How far downhill can a show go? I smiled twice- once at the Curb Your Enthusiasm bit and again at the ear sex episode and "once you go black... you go deaf". Not going to be watching this show anymore.

Hancock

Was expecting it to be bad which is probably adds half a bucket. Still, enjoyable and quick little action-er handled pretty competently with decent enough performances and effects. The love story twist could have gone worse but is still the films weak spot.

The Incredible Hulk

Another one i expected not to like. Roth and Norton are two actors who tend to really irritate me on-screen and i was a big fan of Hulk. It's a no-brainer film but does all it's needed to sufficiently.

+

Get Smart

Was a bit of a nothing film but had the odd laugh in it and was enjoyable for the rest. Harmless caper.

Forbidden Kingdom

Jackie Chan + Yuen Woo Ping + Drunken Kung-Fu = not sure fire gold. For a fan of both peoples mentioned work, this should have been full off potential for some classic moments. Sadly it's a kiddie-fu flick and has wirework (which i'm not massive on) but is watchable if you let your expectations down

+

You Don't Mess With the Zohan

Wow, i hate Adam Sandler and Rob Schneider but this was ok. It's a complete Borat rip-off and a pretty bad film but did entertain me.

Waxwork

Unsure about this one, starts off looking really bad but picks up a bit. Not a stand-out horror flick but occasionally worked. Definitely something that should be remade unlike the classics they regurgitate.

Waxwork 2: Lost in Time

At first i thought this was awful, unashamedly ripping off everything under the moon but when they started having fun with it towards the end it was quite a guilty joy. And of course BRUCE CAMPBELL has a cameo, that's actually pretty good- worth watching the film for if you're a fan

Lost Boys

Classic 80s vampire horror at the opposite end to Near Dark. Don't think it's dated badly and still is enjoyable and a bit kitsch.

Lost Boys 2: The Tribe

You know, despite all the bad expectations you can have for a film, if it starts with a Tom Savini cameo it will be alright. And this was. Bit of a weak ending and wasn't massive on the Jack Bauer replacement but actually liked the lead actors and some good gore for a STD. Nice after credits ending as well. Had to rewatch the original for most of the nods though.

Heathers

Meh, maybe the whole American High School scene doesn't resonate with me. Not as dark as it should be or as fun as like The Breakfast Club.

Shrooms

I don't think knowing the twist helped but hallucinations just don't provide any fear. Plus there were too many monsters to help focus the fear they should provide. Not a badly made film but waste of time if you know the twist or compared to other Brit horrors like The Descent

+

honeykid 11-03-08 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp (Post 473283)
Waxwork 2: Lost in Time

At first i thought this was awful, unashamedly ripping off everything under the moon but when they started having fun with it towards the end it was quite a guilty joy. And of course BRUCE CAMPBELL has a cameo, that's actually pretty good- worth watching the film for if you're a fan

More importantly, Drew Barrymore's in it, she's vampire victim #1. It's the only reason I have a copy. :D

Also, I think you did well to get to season 6 of Family Guy. It has its moments, but they're few and far between unless they feature Stewie. I have trouble understanding how so many people like this. I know that I'm not 'in tune' with what's considered funny at the moment, but Family Guy really is just shockingly unfunny. Even American Dad is better.

Lastly, do you really think that Lost Boys 2: The Tribe is an STD? :D

Iroquois 11-04-08 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp (Post 473283)
Meh, maybe the whole American High School scene doesn't resonate with me.
Yet you reckon Supercrap is five-star material? :rolleyes:

Pyro Tramp 11-04-08 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 473318)
Yet you reckon Supercrap is five-star material? :rolleyes:
Well Heathers was about the cliques in High School, Superbad is about 3 kids outside popular circles trying to get laid. Much more universal theme there.

And Honeykid, you reminded me that Martin "Spandau Ballet" Kemp was in it as well. Didn't notice Drew Barrymore though, don't know if i could be bothered to watch it again to find out either lol

Pyro Tramp 11-04-08 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 473312)
More importantly, Drew Barrymore's in it, she's vampire victim #1. It's the only reason I have a copy. :D

Also, I think you did well to get to season 6 of Family Guy. It has its moments, but they're few and far between unless they feature Stewie. I have trouble understanding how so many people like this. I know that I'm not 'in tune' with what's considered funny at the moment, but Family Guy really is just shockingly unfunny. Even American Dad is better.

Lastly, do you really think that Lost Boys 2: The Tribe is an STD? :D
Lost Boys 2 didn't get a theatrical release over here, so it's a R2 STD at least. Remember there was some hoo-ha about whether or not it would get a release though.

Yeah, i found the only enjoyable bits of Family Guy were with Stewie and Brian together (and that IS to say the other bits aren't enjoyable).

Daffodil 11-04-08 06:51 AM

Nice reviews, props. :)

Wow, I didn't know there was a Lost Boys 2.

Never finished Hitman. I only got into about eight minutes of it, but that was because I had to go to bed. :P

Iroquois 11-04-08 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp (Post 473346)
Well Heathers was about the cliques in High School, Superbad is about 3 kids outside popular circles trying to get laid. Much more universal theme there.
Yes, a little too universal for my liking...:indifferent:

Pyro Tramp 11-04-08 08:02 AM

You'll meet a nice girl one day Iro :) don't you worry.

(Or you could just pay for it)

honeykid 11-04-08 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp (Post 473347)
Lost Boys 2 didn't get a theatrical release over here, so it's a R2 STD at least. Remember there was some hoo-ha about whether or not it would get a release though.
Sorry Pyro, I was being too obtuse. I meant STD as in Sexually Transmitted Disease, rather than Straight To Dvd. I know that it didn't get a cinema release. In case anyone's interested, as Lost Boys 2 has done so well, there's talk of Lost Boys 3.

Iroquois 11-05-08 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp (Post 473353)
You'll meet a nice girl one day Iro :) don't you worry.

(Or you could just pay for it)
Yeah, I suppose. Eh, I don't know. Maybe after my last exam I'll rent it out and see if I eat my words.

Btw, I also watched Fright Night last Friday. It was alright, four stars might be a stretch though. Still, decent enough to have as background noise.

nebbit 11-06-08 05:06 PM

Well that was Piss Poor :nope:

Iroquois 11-07-08 12:20 AM

Who, me or him?

nebbit 11-07-08 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 473991)
Who, me or him?
My way of making a joke about the thread :blush:

Pyro Tramp 11-21-08 03:53 PM

Ok, so not including Dead Set (which is in my review thread) and Zak and Miri or Quantum of Solace which were Movie Tabbed, here's the latest batch of my home viewings

Lost Boys 2

Not as good as the first time, comes of as average though still like the main characters which is an accomplishment these days in horror, shame about the vamps.

Boondock Saints

Never really saw why this was so loved when i first watched it, definitely better this time round. Lots of fun till the accents get a bit ropey and Billy Connolly tries to cover his Scottish accent with an Irish. Would stick to Ghost Dog though.

Blade

Wow, forgot how much fun this one was, the second is the better film but feel this is pretty underrated. Dorff makes a great vampire and there's some nice effects and action

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

Nice way to the finish Spock's tri-film arch. Lot's of knowing humour in place of action set pieces. Bit of a silly concept but still one of the most accomplished films in the series.

Inglorious Bastards

Can see why Tarantino is drawn to remaking this, loads in it for him to ruin lol. Liked the characters, liked the set up, even liked the obviously painted backgrounds. Overall a hip little War B-Movie that is easy to enjoy.

American Gangster

This could have been good but the whole period setting was overshot and the cinematography was too clean to give a gritty realistic 70s aesthetic. And that undermined a lot of the film which was otherwise decent enough and not quite a typical rise-and-fall of a drug baron. Again, prefer something like New Jack City.

The Mist (B&W)

It's surprising how well this translates into B&W and still manages to work the same and in some points better than the colour. As for the movie, it's good but suffers from pacing issues, or rather lack of it. Meandering but atmospheric. The ending may be 'shocking' but seem like bit of unfair gimmick.

The Tripper

Like Hatchet this is another overproduced 'indie' horror by Scream star David Arquette. Seems to think itself cleverer than it is but having the killer wear a Ronald Reagan mask didn't quite cut a political commentary for me. Very nice supporting cast though.

Funny Games U.S.

Can't remember, but this seemed different than the original (i thought it was a shot-for-shot remake) and if it is, it's worse of for it. I don't think the characters are written to be particularly believable, Roth failing to do anything in defence due to a broken leg for one. Was looking forward to seeing Naomi Watt's topless again but that treat never came in this version.

Beowulf

This was interesting, i'm not entirely convinced by the format- though it is one way for some spectacular CGI and not have it stand out as such. Pretty standard film but also more than that. Could have benefited from the story having more grandiose.

nebbit 11-21-08 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp (Post 477278)
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

Nice way to the finish Spock's tri-film arch. Lot's of knowing humour in place of action set pieces. Bit of a silly concept but still one of the most accomplished films in the series.

This is one of my Favourites :blush: parts of it are so funny. :yup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfDJBsxhQ9g&feature=related

Pyro Tramp 12-23-08 07:49 AM

Rocky

Strangely emotional ending and pretty decent story, suppose it's kinda one of those classic montage examples so won't criticise it for that

Rocky 2

Probably my least favourite of them, took bit too long to get going and some dodgy edits in the final fights

Rocky 3

And this would probably be my favourite, has some great character arcs from already established characters and has most fun with itself (Hulk Hogan as Thunderlips!) and Mr T

Rocky 4

Liked this one, even if by now it's just retreading familiar ground by now. Lundgren was good but he doesn't have that much to do in fairness.

Rocky 5

Was a nice change in the series and i think for the most part it worked, the final street fight was definitely one of my favourites but thought Tommy Gunn wasn't quite developed enough to make it entirely believable.

Rocky Balboa

This one took a looong time to start going, liked the almost revionist tone but some of the cinematography was too cold. Wasn't keen on that woman filling in Adrian's role or how the final fight was made to look completely real, not a healthy change of diegetic.

Friday the 13th: Part V

Pretty shoddy entry and final act was a complete mess. If i remember right, this one cut away and almost every single death.

Friday the 13th: Part VII

Actually enjoyed this one, some nice effects (Jason with his mask off) and Kane Hodder filling the role of Jason is probably best thing to happen to the series as he really makes Jason an intimidating presence.

Friday the 13th: Jason Takes Manhattan

Awful awful entry, no effort was made whatsoever to add an sense of dread or direction. Can't think of any redeeming features.

Read Window

Wasn't my favourite Hitch film but still solid. Think i remember a couple of suspicious editing techniques though.

In Bruges

Second time watching and still liked it a lot, maybe even more this time. Great performances all round and some brilliant humour perpetuated through witty dialogue.

Peep Show: Season 1

Classic.

Desperate Measures

Low rent and meandering but easy watching and not wholly bad.

Bill and Ted's Bogus Adventure

It's got Jim Martin, Primus, Pam Grier and George Carlin. 'Nuf said.

Punch Drunk Love

There was one particular bit i despised with some horrible sound but otherwise was pretty good, seemed a bit too short for some reason but don't think i'd have wanted anymore. Probably my fav PT Anderson flick so far (have to watch TWBB again)

The Hamiltons

Pretty rubbish, cheap horror flick. The ending twist was interesting but think they put all their chips in on it so was still pretty weak.

Transporter 3

Liked how they went back to style and tone of the first but the plot devices they used undermined the pace leaving it as a fight scene- boring filler. Pretty silly story, as to be expected, but Statham is always great to watch

The Dark Knight

Gets better each time, seen it about 4 times since buying it

The Vanishing

Another plodding film that put it's chips in on the ending while nothing that much happens for the rest. The ending was pretty good, and the bad guy was a pretty awesome character but didn't quite make up for poorly written main guy.

TheDOMINATOR 12-23-08 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp (Post 485676)
Friday the 13th: Part VII

Actually enjoyed this one, some nice effects (Jason with his mask off) and Kane Hodder filling the role of Jason is probably best thing to happen to the series as he really makes Jason an intimidating presence.
Part VII is probably my favorite Friday the 13th. I agree with your rating, Pyro.

Vertical Gunn 12-23-08 12:45 PM

Nice thread. ;)

Pyro Tramp 12-23-08 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by TheDOMINATOR (Post 485723)
Part VII is probably my favorite Friday the 13th. I agree with your rating, Pyro.
I still prefer Part 4, the telekinesis was a bit hokey but then again the whole franchise was a bit at by now. Have to re-watch Part VI as remember liking that one as well. Kane Hodder definitely owns that role, it's weird how a non-speaking character can be completely changed by the actors physique and movement.