Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The 2022 MoFo Film Awards - Nominations (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=67488)

CosmicRunaway 01-18-23 01:27 PM

The 2022 MoFo Film Awards - Nominations

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=90977

After a two year hiatus, the MoFo Film Awards are back!
The deadline for submitting your nominations is March 20th.

What is this?
Formerly hosted by TheUsualSuspect, the MoFo Film Awards are pretty much our version of the Oscars. The categories differ slightly, and even include places to vent about your least favourite film or biggest disappointment of the year. Once I've collected your nominations, I'll reveal the finalists in another thread, where we'll have one month to vote for the winners.

How does it work?
For each category, you're able to select up to 5 films, people, or scenes to nominate (whichever is relevant). These choices are ranked, so your #1 choice will receive 5 points, #2 will receive 4 points, and so on. You do not need to make 5 selections if you don't want to, and your #1 choice will still be worth the full 5 points if you submit a partial ballot. Make sure to PM your nominations to me before the deadline.

Do I have to nominate something for every category?
No, you don't. If you didn't see any documentaries this year, you don't need to randomly choose one, unless you want to. I don't recommend nominating films you haven't seen, but you do you!

Should I keep what I'm nominating a secret?
I do not recommend posting your final ballot in the thread, however unlike the Countdowns and Hall of Fames, talking about how you plan to vote will not cause your nominations to be disqualified. Feel free to post WIP shortlists, or to campaign for specific films or performances.

Some films have conflicting release date information online. How do I know if a film is eligible for these awards?
Any "festival films" that were only shown in places such as the Toronto or Berlin International Film Festivals during 2021, but not given a wide theatrical release until 2022 are automatically eligible, since the majority of us are unable to see them during their initial festival window. Check the bottom of this post for a list of notable films with hybrid release dates, and feel free to suggest additions. If a film has conflicting information online, but is not a festival film, its eligibility will be open for discussion.

What is this “Mixed Bag” Award?
That is up to you to decide! Is there a film that had some great moments, but overall fell short of being great? Perhaps there was something problematic in (or around) a film that makes you feel kinda “eeehh” about the whole thing. Did you think a film was so perfectly mediocre that it should be called out? This is the category to express any of that!

Can I nominate the same actor for multiple performances?
Yes, you can.

Can I nominate the same role for both Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor?
Yes! I'm pretty sure I've even done this myself when I couldn't decide how exactly to classify the performance. If you'd like to see how other people feel about it first, don't hesitate to ask in the thread.

How do I let you know which scene I want to nominate for the relevant categories?
Try your best to describe it without giving too many spoilers, if possible. If clarification is needed, I will ask. If you know I've seen a film (feel free to creep on my letterboxd to do so), spoilers are fine.

Is it possible to alter my ballot after I sent it?
While you may not make any changes to the selections you have already sent, you may add extra nominations to any category, as long as you didn't already have the maximum of 5 submitted. Any such additions must also be received before the deadline.

What happens if I don't nominate anything? Can I still vote for a winner later?
Yes! You do not need to participate in this round of the Film Awards in order to vote for your favourites later on. However, you will have to forfeit the right to complain about the available choices if you didn't nominate anything yourself.

My question wasn't covered here, what do I do?
You can ask in the thread, or PM me if you're not comfortable posting your question publicly.

~.~

Notable 2021/2022 Films:
After Yang (Dir. Kogonada)
Boiling Point (Dir. Philip Barantini)
Ennio (Dir. Giuseppe Tornatore)
The Good Boss (Dir. Fernando León de Aranoa)
Great Freedom/Große Freiheit (Dir. Sebastian Meise)
Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, a Journey, a Song (Dir. Daniel Geller, Dayna Goldfine)
Mad God (Dir. Phil Tippett)
Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (Dir. Dean Fleischer Camp)
Memoria (Dir. Apichatpong Weerasethakul)
My Best Friend Anne Frank/Mijn beste vriendin Anne Frank (Dir. Ben Sombogaart)
Official Competition (Dir. Gastón Duprat, Mariano Cohn)
Paris, 13th District (Dir. Jacques Audiard)
Red Rocket (Dir. Sean Baker)
The Tragedy of Macbeth (Dir. Joel Coen)

CosmicRunaway 01-18-23 01:27 PM

The Categories are:

Best Film of The Year
Worst Film of the Year
Best Director of the Year
Best Actor of the Year*
Best Actress of the Year*
Best Supporting Actor of the Year*
Best Supporting Actress of the Year*
Best Screenplay of the Year
Best Animated Film of the Year
Best Documentary Film of the Year
Best Foreign Language Film of the Year
Biggest Surprise of the Year
Biggest Disappointment of the Year
Most Overrated Film of the Year
Most Underrated Film of the Year
Most Memorable Scene of the Year**
Funniest Scene of the Year**
“Mixed-Bag” Award of the Year
Best Ensemble Cast of the Year
Best Cinematography of the Year
Breakout Performance of the Year
Best Score
Best Sound Design
Best Visual Effects

*-Please state the name of the actor, as well as the film's title
**-Please avoid massive spoilers if possible.

Here's an optional form you can copy  

CosmicRunaway 01-18-23 01:29 PM

Re: The 2022 MoFo Film Awards - Nominations

Received Lists:
Allaby
ApexPredator
CosmicRunaway
Frightened Inmate No. 2
Harry Lime
Holden Pike
John-Connor
Iroquois
LAMb EELYAK
mrblond
PHOENIX74
rauldc14
sawduck
ScarletLion
seanc
Siddon
TheUsualSuspect
Thursday Next
Torgo
Tugg

~.~

The rest of this post is just some information for anyone curious. I'm not going to list all the previous winners for every category, but since Suspect always kept track of the two major ones, I'll continue that tradition. For anyone who is new to the forum and would like to see how the previous nominations and awards threads were handled, there's links to a few of those as well.

2018 and 19 saw a fairly large drop in participants compared to previous years, but we'll be going ahead with these awards even if we only get half that turnout.

Previous Best Film and Best Director Winners:
2013 Best Film of the Year: Gravity
2014 Best Film of the Year: Birdman
2015 Best Film of the Year: Mad Max: Fury Road
2016 Best Film of the Year: La La Land & Manchester By The Sea
2017 Best Film of the Year: Blade Runner: 2049
2018 Best Film of the Year: Roma
2019 Best Film of the Year: Parasite

2013 Best Director of the Year: Alfonso Cuaron - Gravity
2014 Best Director of the Year: Alejandro González Iñárritu - Birdman
2015 Best Director of the Year: George Miller - Mad Max
2016 Best Director of the Year: Damien Chazelle - La La Land
2017 Best Director of the Year: Guillermo del Toro - The Shape of Water
2018 Best Director of the Year: Alfonso Cuaron - Roma
2019 Best Director of the Year: Bong Joon Ho - Parasite

Previous Awards Threads:
2019 Film Awards - Nominations
2019 Film Awards
2018 Film Awards - Nominations
2018 Film Awards
2017 Film Awards - Nominations
2017 Film Awards
2016 Film Awards - Nominations
2016 Film Awards

Citizen Rules 01-18-23 02:00 PM

Yeah! and good for you Cosmic for taking this on! This sounds fun for MoFo. I know from your HoF hosting that you make one helluva great host!

CosmicRunaway 01-18-23 02:16 PM

Thanks! <3

Not sure how much interest there's going to be in reviving this, but I figured I'd start it up again in case any of the newer members who weren't around the last time they were held wanted the chance to participate.

If no one submits a ballot, I'll try again next year haha.

seanc 01-18-23 02:21 PM

I will definitely send a ballot. Still a few big flicks I am hoping will be available in Feb, so I will wait a bit.

This was always fun, so I am glad to see it revived.

Thief 01-18-23 02:25 PM

My God, I don't think I've seen more than 10 films from 2022, and most of them were animated films with the kids.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SnivelingO...restricted.gif

rauldc14 01-18-23 02:29 PM

I'll be playing along with this. Got a ton to see yet though.

Wyldesyde19 01-18-23 02:40 PM

Ooh. That gives me 2 months to catch up. I’ll definitely start binging and will submit a ballot.

*circles March 20th on his calendar*

CosmicRunaway 01-18-23 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2363331)
My God, I don't think I've seen more than 10 films from 2022, and most of them were animated films with the kids.
Were any of them worth recommending?

Checking letterboxd, I've seen about 40 films from 2022, and zero of them were animated, haha.

Thief 01-18-23 03:36 PM

Just for fun, this would be part of my ballot right now :laugh:

The Categories are:

Best Film of The Year: Prey
Worst Film of the Year: Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Best Director of the Year: Dan Trachtenberg, Prey
Best Actor of the Year*: David Howard Thornton, Terrifier 2
Best Actress of the Year*: Mia Goth, X
Best Supporting Actor of the Year*: Kid Cudi, X
Best Supporting Actress of the Year*: DeWanda Wise, Jurassic World Dominion
Best Screenplay of the Year: Prey
Best Animated Film of the Year: Lightyear
Biggest Surprise of the Year: Prey
Biggest Disappointment of the Year: Jurassic World Dominion
Best Ensemble Cast of the Year: X
Breakout Performance of the Year: Amber Midthunder, Prey

I need to catch up with stuff

Thursday Next 01-18-23 04:45 PM

Great to see this back!

Torgo 01-18-23 04:47 PM

Looking forward to participating.
I hate to be that guy and make things more complicated, but which release dates are we using? Mad God and After Yang, for example, are considered 2021 movies at some places and 2022 movies at others.

Wyldesyde19 01-18-23 04:53 PM

Myself, I always go with theatrical releases in my country during the calendar year, but this is going to differ for Mofos from other countries.
I’d say, check with Cosmicrunaway in pm.

CosmicRunaway 01-18-23 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Torgo (Post 2363385)
I hate to be that guy and make things more complicated, but which release dates are we using? Mad God and After Yang, for example, are considered 2021 movies at some places and 2022 movies at others.
I actually meant to include that in the questions in the first post. Thanks for bringing it up! I'll edit in the relevant info in a moment.

In previous years, this has always been open for discussion. Often times films will have a limited run in festivals prior to its official release, which is why we frequently see conflicting release date information for them online. Most of us likely aren't able to attend these festivals, so I personally consider any film that didn't get a wide, global release until 2022 eligible.

I can add a list of notable hybrid 2021/2022 films to the first post as well. You guys just need to let me know which ones you want included.

Thursday Next 01-18-23 05:24 PM

One example I would consider voting for is Great Freedom. Nominally a 2021 film but only at festivals, most release dates were 2022.

CosmicRunaway 01-18-23 05:29 PM

I have added After Yang, Great Freedom, and Mad God to the eligible hybrid list. I think in previous years we had exclusions for festival films that were nominated for the Oscars before their wide release, but I'm not going to be that picky.

John-Connor 01-18-23 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2363392)
I can add a list of notable hybrid 2021/2022 films to the first post as well. You guys just need to let me know which ones you want included.

Ennio
Netherlands 21 April 2022
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3031654/

Boiling Point
Netherlands 6 October 2022
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11127680/

CosmicRunaway 01-18-23 05:34 PM

I've added those two as well. Thanks! :up:

Tugg 01-18-23 05:38 PM

Red Rocket was in many festivals in 2021, but was widely released in theatres in 2022.

What about M3gan, which is 2022 on IMDb, but mostly released in theatres in 2023?

CosmicRunaway 01-18-23 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tugg (Post 2363406)
Red Rocket was in many festivals in 2021, but was widely released in theatres in 2022.

What about M3gan, which is 2022 on IMDb, but mostly released in theatres in 2023?
I'll add Red Rocket.

I wouldn't personally consider M3gan eligible though, since its wide release wasn't until this year. If enough people disagree with me on this, we can include it as a 2022 film, but in doing so disqualify it from next year's awards. It's up to you guys.

LAMb EELYAK 01-18-23 09:05 PM

Marcel the Shell with Shoes On, Official Competition, and Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, a Journey, a Song all made festival debuts in 2021.

The Tragedy of Macbeth and Drive My Car got very limited releases late in 2021, but not sure we'd want to count those.

gbgoodies 01-18-23 11:11 PM

I'll be following this thread, but I don't think I've seen any movies from 2022 yet. (I don't even think I've seen more than 10 movies from 2021 yet either. :rolleyes:)

I'll try to watch some, but I haven't really kept up with new movies, so I don't even know where to start.

TheUsualSuspect 01-18-23 11:45 PM

This thread is already better organized than anything I've done. It is in good hands!!!

Tugg 01-19-23 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2363408)
I'll add Red Rocket.
Sorry, it turns out release dates going by IMDb are:
United States- December 24, 2021
France- February 2, 2022
Italy- March 3, 2022
United Kingdom- March 11, 2022
Germany- April 14, 2022

So I don't know, maybe it should count as 2021 movie since it was released in US on December 24, 2021.

Tugg 01-19-23 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 2363503)
I'll try to watch some, but I haven't really kept up with new movies, so I don't even know where to start.
Open recommendations thread like you did for 2010s Countdown. Specify what kind of movies you would like to see and I'm sure there will be plenty of people who want to recommend.

TheUsualSuspect 01-19-23 12:42 AM

RE: Red Rocket

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/releas...ef_=bo_tt_gr_1

Regarding theatre counts, it jumped from 16 on December 19th, 2021 to 377 on December 24th, 2021. Widest was 385 on New Years Eve.

gbgoodies 01-19-23 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by Tugg (Post 2363534)
Open recommendations thread like you did for 2010s Countdown. Specify what kind of movies you would like to see and I'm sure there will be plenty of people who want to recommend.

That's a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

I'm going to look through IMDB and Wikipedia first to get an idea of what movies were released in 2022, and then I'll probably make a recommendations thread in a day or two.

PHOENIX74 01-19-23 05:08 AM

This makes me pretty glad that I got out and saw plenty (comparatively) of movies last year!

Many thanks @CosmicRunaway

CosmicRunaway 01-19-23 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by LAMb EELYAK (Post 2363474)
Marcel the Shell with Shoes On, Official Competition, and Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, a Journey, a Song all made festival debuts in 2021.
I'll add all these.

Originally Posted by LAMb EELYAK (Post 2363474)
The Tragedy of Macbeth and Drive My Car got very limited releases late in 2021, but not sure we'd want to count those.
Since Macbeth only had a limited theatrical run in late December, I'll consider its January 14th Apple TV+ release to be the date of its wide release. Wikipedia is telling me that Drive My Car on the other hand had a UK release mid-November, and went to the US later that month, so I'm inclined to exclude it.

Originally Posted by Tugg (Post 2363533)
So I don't know, maybe [Red Rocket] should count as 2021 movie since it was released in US on December 24, 2021.
Ah, I only noticed the UK release when I checked yesterday. Thanks for doing the research! Given the additional information provided by Suspect, I don't think it would technically count, but we can certainly include it if we want. I'll leave it on the list for now, but it's open for debate.

Edit: I just made a separate post about Red Rocket, but you guys can comment here as well if you'd like.

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 2363521)
This thread is already better organized than anything I've done. It is in good hands!!!
Thank you, that means a lot! <3

Daniel M 01-19-23 06:56 AM

Awesome, I've been making my way through the major releases of 2022 recently so I'm well-equipped for this.

CosmicRunaway 01-19-23 06:56 AM

If anyone would like to privately disagree to Red Rocket's inclusion, leave me a post comment here. I will assume anyone who doesn't comment is okay with it being eligible.

CosmicRunaway 01-19-23 08:46 AM

I just fixed a mistake in the form I had added to the second post. There were some extra numbers without a header. Luckily there weren't any missing categories, so anyone who already copied it shouldn't be missing anything.

LAMb EELYAK 01-19-23 08:54 PM

So it sounds like The Pale Blue Eye would be a better fit for 2023? January 6th Netflix release after a limited debut on December 23rd.

My Best Friend Anne Frank was released only in the Netherlands in 2021 and on Netflix in 2022.

CosmicRunaway 01-20-23 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by LAMb EELYAK (Post 2363829)
So it sounds like The Pale Blue Eye would be a better fit for 2023? January 6th Netflix release after a limited debut on December 23rd.
That's how I'm leaning. I wonder if we've been seeing situations like this more and more lately since streaming-only titles aren't eligible for many of the more "prestigious" awards. Studios throw titles into a handful of cinemas just to say they had a theatrical showing.

Which reminds me, if anyone was wondering, films that were only released on a streaming service are 100% eligible for our film awards.

Originally Posted by LAMb EELYAK (Post 2363829)
My Best Friend Anne Frank was released only in the Netherlands in 2021 and on Netflix in 2022.
I'll add that one to the list. :up:

CosmicRunaway 01-20-23 03:56 AM

GBG's thread has made me realize that I currently only have three 2022 films on my watchlist, all of which I added last night, haha.

Resurrection, See How They Run, and The Stranger is what I have so far. I know there are some major releases I haven't seen yet, but I'm more interested in films that people think were criminally underseen, if anyone has any suggestions.

ScarletLion 01-20-23 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2363903)
I'm more interested in films that people think were criminally underseen, if anyone has any suggestions.
These all deserve to be in the mix:

The Beasts
Tar
The Quiet Girl
Happening
Playground
Parallel Mothers
Bergman Island
Vortex
The Ballad of a White Cow
Decision to Leave
The Souvenir Pt 2
A Chiara
Farha
Hit the Road
Ali and Ava
Mass
The Innocents
Triangle of Sadness
Fire of Love
A Hero
Luzzu
The Velvet Queen
Causeway
Alcarras
Broker
Hive
In Front of Your Face
Speak No Evil
God's Creatures
Prayers for the Stolen
The Lost Daughter
Olga
Aloners
Earwig
Pleasure
Funny Pages
Brian and Charles

CosmicRunaway 01-20-23 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 2363918)
These all deserve to be in the mix:
At a glance, I'm only familiar with a couple of those titles, so that's definitely the sort of list I'm looking for. Will start going through them later to see which ones seem like something I'd like. Thanks! :up:

Harry Lime 01-20-23 10:35 AM

I would normally participate but really haven't seen enough movies this year to make a reasonable contribution. I will watch or recommendations, though.

CosmicRunaway 01-20-23 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Harry Lime (Post 2363953)
I would normally participate but really haven't seen enough movies this year to make a reasonable contribution.
No worries! But honestly, no contribution is too small if you want to submit a partial ballot. If you only saw 2 films you liked this past year, you can nominate them in all appropriate categories, and leave the others blank. Some of my own ballots from previous years have been scarily sparse haha.

CosmicRunaway 01-20-23 11:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I started making my way through ScarletLion's list to check out the details of all those films, and uh...I think imdb wants me to know that this film is the story of two mothers who bond in an unexpected way after giving birth the same day.

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=91003

Wonder if it would've repeated the line for a third time if the character limit was longer? :lol:

CosmicRunaway 01-22-23 06:14 AM

I've received our first set of nominations. <3

I think I'll put the list of participants in the third post. I don't want to have too much information ahead of the awards categories, since that's the only thing older MoFos might need to see.

rauldc14 01-22-23 06:44 AM

I'm at 19 but if I can get to 30 or so it could make a decent sort of ballot perhaps

LAMb EELYAK 01-22-23 03:01 PM

I already submitted my noms in an attempt to prevent myself from fretting over details for the next two months, but I am wondering about people's approach to a particular category. When you see "Best Ensemble Cast" do you think about the names involved or how they performed in that particular movie?

Tugg 01-22-23 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by LAMb EELYAK (Post 2364711)
When you see "Best Ensemble Cast" do you think about the names involved or how they performed in that particular movie?
I think of movies I liked which had enough screen time for many actors. And how they performed too.

seanc 01-22-23 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by LAMb EELYAK (Post 2364711)
I already submitted my noms in an attempt to prevent myself from fretting over details for the next two months, but I am wondering about people's approach to a particular category. When you see "Best Ensemble Cast" do you think about the names involved or how they performed in that particular movie?
I would like to say the latter, but I am sure the former can’t help but creep in. What I really try to think about is movies that aren’t driven by one or two characters though. So, for instance. Tar would not be in consideration, but something like Glass Onion will be. Even though I like Tar much more and think it has better performance:.

LAMb EELYAK 01-22-23 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 2364713)
I would like to say the latter, but I am sure the former can’t help but creep in. What I really try to think about is movies that aren’t driven by one or two characters though. So, for instance. Tar would not be in consideration, but something like Glass Onion will be. Even though I like Tar much more and think it has better performance:.

I agree with every word of this. Although in addition to at least one "name value" movie creeping onto my list, there may also be a couple where the "ensemble" tag is debatable.

CosmicRunaway 01-22-23 03:21 PM

Sean's description is spot on for how I personally view the category as well. Though in the past I've also voted for films that primarily focused on just a couple of characters when the supporting cast was also phenomenal.

mrblond 01-23-23 04:20 AM

This is very good initiative and nice organization! :up:

Currently, I'm underway examining all involved in the recent Golden Globes nominees, so far I saw almost half of them.

It is good you include here the late 2021 releases that are mostly a festival presentations. I see there one of my absolute favorites.
In addition, I would suggest this one The Good Boss (imdb Release info). Do you think it can qualify to be 2022 participant?

CosmicRunaway 01-23-23 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by mrblond (Post 2364824)
This is very good initiative and nice organization! :up:
Thank you! <3

Originally Posted by mrblond (Post 2364824)
In addition, I would suggest this one The Good Boss (imdb Release info). Do you think it can qualify to be 2022 participant?
Yes. I'll add it to the first post. Thanks!

LAMb EELYAK 01-23-23 08:50 PM

Just realized I forgot a movie in one of the two categories I didn't have a full five of. Oh, well. It doesn't need my help to be nominated anyway.

Wooley 01-23-23 10:07 PM

Memoria premiered at Cannes in 2021 and was technically "released" in the United States (where I live) on December 26, 2021 in only one theater (at the IFC Center in New York). It did not play anywhere else in the U.S. until 2022, nor did it play in the UK until 2022, so it would seem that it was impossible for almost anyone in America or England to have seen it for last year's Awards.
So... is it eligible?

CosmicRunaway 01-24-23 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by LAMb EELYAK (Post 2365123)
Just realized I forgot a movie in one of the two categories I didn't have a full five of.
It's possible to make additions to your ballot up until the deadline. You just can't change the order of anything you already submitted.

Originally Posted by Wooley (Post 2365171)
Memoria premiered at Cannes in 2021 and was technically "released" in the United States (where I live) on December 26, 2021 in only one theater (at the IFC Center in New York). It did not play anywhere else in the U.S. until 2022, nor did it play in the UK until 2022, so it would seem that it was impossible for almost anyone in America or England to have seen it for last year's Awards.
So... is it eligible?
Yes. I'll add it to the first post. :up:

LAMb EELYAK 01-24-23 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2365236)
It's possible to make additions to your ballot up until the deadline. You just can't change the order of anything you already submitted.

Oh, cool! Thanks for the heads-up!

CosmicRunaway 01-27-23 03:42 PM

I thought I would have plenty of time this week to get a start on my watchlist, but ended up having to work twice as many shifts as I was originally scheduled. Januarys are just the worst. I did manage to watch one film, but it probably won't be making my ballot.

Hope you guys are having better luck!

gbgoodies 01-28-23 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2366530)
I thought I would have plenty of time this week to get a start on my watchlist, but ended up having to work twice as many shifts as I was originally scheduled. Januarys are just the worst. I did manage to watch one film, but it probably won't be making my ballot.

Hope you guys are having better luck!

I've had a similar problem with being busy due to Valentine's Day sales taking up a lot of my time, so I haven't had much time to track down some of the movies near the top of my watchlist, but thanks to cable TV, I've been able to watch a few movies that were a bit lower on my list.

My favorite so far is The Lost City. It's a fun adventure coupled with a rom-com that works partly due to the great cast, and also because flaws of the "hero" in the story add some great humorous moments.

Jerry & Marge Go Large is a good movie that's interesting because it's based on a true story.

Cyrano was only okay, but it was worth watching just for Peter Dinklage.

I'm not a fan of Nicolas Cage, but The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent was better than I expected.

CosmicRunaway 01-28-23 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 2366689)
My favorite so far is The Lost City. It's a fun adventure coupled with a rom-com that works partly due to the great cast, and also because flaws of the "hero" in the story add some great humorous moments.
I had a feeling you'd like that one, despite only going off what my room mates had told me haha. Glad you enjoyed it!

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 2366689)
I'm not a fan of Nicolas Cage, but The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent was better than I expected.
I love Pedro Pascal, and Nic Cage sometimes has his moments, so I was really looking forward to Massive Talent. It was a slightly different film than I had expected, but it was still a lot of fun. :up:

gbgoodies 01-28-23 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2366703)
I had a feeling you'd like that one, despite only going off what my room mates had told me haha. Glad you enjoyed it!
The Lost City is definitely my kind of movie. It won't win any major awards, but it could make my favorites list of 2022 movies.

Thanks for the recommendation. I hadn't heard of it before, so I might have just passed on watching it if you hadn't recommended it. :)

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2366703)
I love Pedro Pascal, and Nic Cage sometimes has his moments, so I was really looking forward to Massive Talent. It was a slightly different film than I had expected, but it was still a lot of fun. :up:
I didn't read anything about The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent before watching it, so the only thing I knew about it before watching it was the one line synopsis from the cable guide, and that it starred Nicolas Cage. It was completely different from what I expected, but in a good way. :)

Thursday Next 01-29-23 11:48 AM

Any recommendations for foreign language films from 2022?

John-Connor 01-29-23 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Thursday Next (Post 2366987)
Decision to Leave
Ennio
The Banshees of Inisherin
lol, but you do need subtitles.

LAMb EELYAK 01-29-23 01:51 PM

I liked The Swimmers and Official Competition.

TheUsualSuspect 01-29-23 02:31 PM

Decision to Leave
RRR

mrblond 01-29-23 03:07 PM

Official Competition is a must!

also recommended:
The Quiet Girl
The Good Boss

Three totally different films, all are nice additions to the cultural heritage of the cinema.

CosmicRunaway 01-29-23 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2366998)
The Banshees of Inisherin lol, but you do need subtitles.
Aweey witcha.

Thursday Next 01-29-23 04:00 PM

Thanks for the suggestions!

I have seen Decision to Leave (and Banshees of Inisherin... without subtitles).

I'll add Official Competition to my watchlist for sure and check out the others mentioned.

The Quiet Girl I've been meaning to watch, just waiting for it to stream somewhere.

ScarletLion 01-29-23 04:20 PM

Great Freedom
The Quiet Girl
Happening
Playground
Hit the Road
Decision to Leave
Vortex
Broker
A Chiara
Farha
Ballad of a White Cow
Luzzu
The Innocents
Beasts
The Tale of King Crab
Alcarras
Hive

Iroquois 01-30-23 12:03 AM

Paris, 13th District is technically a 2021 release, would it still qualify?

CosmicRunaway 01-30-23 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2367092)
Paris, 13th District is technically a 2021 release, would it still qualify?
Its 2021 theatrical runs seem to have been quite limited from what I've gathered, with a wider global release in early 2022. It's eligible unless someone argues otherwise. :up:

mrblond 01-30-23 03:43 PM

I progress slowly but determined.
Added two more films for the last two weeks to my 2022 portfolio. One of the last will be strong member of my nominations the other one is a bit controversial though well shot.

Thursday Next 01-31-23 02:17 PM

I watched Vortex which had been on my watchlist as well as being recommended by Scarlet Lion. A difficult watch but a very good film.

Sedai 01-31-23 02:57 PM

I haven't seen Aftersun mentioned. I watched that this weekend, and would recommend!

mrblond 02-03-23 04:02 PM

This Covid period as well as the more and more emerging independent releases makes it very difficult to mark what is the year of a movie.

I wonder, what do you think about this 2020 film that can be marked as 2020, 2021 and even 2022 movie?

Dinner in America
IMDB Link

CosmicRunaway 02-03-23 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by mrblond (Post 2368836)
I wonder, what do you think about this 2020 film that can be marked as 2020, 2021 and even 2022 movie?

Dinner in America
Since it was available on DVD/BluRay in 2021, I'm going to say it's not eligible.

beelzebubble 02-03-23 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 2363918)

Funny Pages
Brian and Charles

I haven't seen much in 2022 but I loved Funny Pages. So funny, so strange, really wonderful coming of age movie. @gideon hated it I believe. Though I don't think he ever reviewed it.

I keep meaning to watch Brian and Charles. It looks charming.

CosmicRunaway 02-03-23 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by beelzebubble (Post 2368903)
Yeah, I've seen Brian and Charles come up in a few different places, so I'm definitely going to check that one out too.

If I ever get around to watching anything, that is. :lol:

ScarletLion 02-03-23 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by beelzebubble (Post 2368903)
I haven't seen much in 2022 but I loved Funny Pages. So funny, so strange, really wonderful coming of age movie. @gideon hated it I believe. Though I don't think he ever reviewed it.

It's really lovely. Be sure to check out Charles' real life backstory!

Phantom 02-04-23 02:36 PM

Barbarian

Iroquois 02-05-23 12:39 AM

Are we counting Apollo 10½ as an animated film? I think the Academy deemed it ineligible due to their ruling about rotoscoped films, but we don't have to play by their rules.

TheUsualSuspect 02-05-23 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 2367557)
I haven't seen Aftersun mentioned. I watched that this weekend, and would recommend!
Watched it waiting for something to happen the entire time...sat there for ten minutes after it ended...cried like a baby.

CosmicRunaway 02-05-23 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2369195)
Are we counting Apollo 10½ as an animated film? I think the Academy deemed it ineligible due to their ruling about rotoscoped films, but we don't have to play by their rules.
I fully support including rotoscoped films in the animation category. :up:

It is literally an animation technique, so I'm not sure what the Academy's problem is. So what if a lot of it is traced? Someone still had to draw and animate it.

Sedai 02-05-23 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 2369208)
Watched it waiting for something to happen the entire time...sat there for ten minutes after it ended...cried like a baby.
Right there with you!

Thursday Next 02-05-23 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 2369208)

That was almost exactly my experience too.

rauldc14 02-05-23 09:10 AM

I'll echo what I already said. Aftersun was a real good one. Hopefully it can do well here.

LAMb EELYAK 02-06-23 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2369195)
Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2369240)
I fully support including rotoscoped films in the animation category. :up:

It is literally an animation technique, so I'm not sure what the Academy's problem is. So what if a lot of it is traced? Someone still had to draw and animate it.

The Academy came around on this, too.

https://www.vulture.com/2022/11/acad...-eligible.html

CosmicRunaway 02-09-23 01:14 PM

I still haven't watched a single animated film for this. What are everyone's favourites? I'll probably check out Mad God, but I don't have any others on my watchlist.

Wyldesyde19 02-09-23 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2370547)
I still haven't watched a single animated film for this. What are everyone's favourites? I'll probably check out Mad God, but I don't have any others on my watchlist.
While I haven’t watched any of them yet, the three I hear most often are Pinocchio (available on Netflix) and Marcel the Shell with Shoes on along with Turning Red.
It was a mostly forgettable year for animation it seemed, in a year that includes The Badguys and Lightyear.

CosmicRunaway 02-09-23 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2370578)
Pinocchio (available on Netflix)
I don't have Netflix any more, but I assume this is Guillermo del Toro's version, and not that other one?

Wyldesyde19 02-09-23 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2370583)
I don't have Netflix any more, but I assume this is Guillermo del Toro's version, and not that other one?
Correct. Although, if you have Amazon Prime, there is also an Italian version from a few years ago also available.
I plan on watching both and comparing

Tugg 02-09-23 02:46 PM

I still haven't watched a single animated film for this. What are everyone's favourites?
Beavis and Butt-Head Do the Universe
Puss in Boots: The Last Wish

mrblond 02-09-23 02:54 PM

Where I am:

Movies watched 21 (17 of 2022 + 4 of late 2021 that are eligible here).
Out of these, I consider 11 to source my nominations from. The other films I've seen are meh, unfortunately.
Hope, in a couple of weeks to add at least couple more decent movies that is worth to nominate somewhere.

Also, since it is a private type game, which is the right approach, I'm not sure if it is OK to heavily recommend movies which is kind of reveal what are your favorites you gonna probably vote for. Right?

CosmicRunaway 02-09-23 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by mrblond (Post 2370594)
I'm not sure if it is OK to heavily recommend movies which is kind of reveal what are your favorites you gonna probably vote for. Right?
Feel free to petition for your favourite films, especially if they're lesser seen gems!

You don't need to be too coy with what you're going to nominate. Just don't go so far as to post your actual ballot in the thread.

CosmicRunaway 02-09-23 03:31 PM

For reference:

A totally fine post:
Violent Night and The Menu are my favourite films of the year. They're at the top of my list so far.
This is also completely acceptable:
You guys can't stop me from voting for Violent Night in all the relevant categories.
However please don't post:
This is my final ballot:

Best Film of The Year
1. Violent Night
2. The Menu

gbgoodies 02-10-23 01:45 AM

I haven't seen a lot of 2022 animated movies, but these are the ones I've seen that I liked:

Apollo 10½: A Space Age Childhood
Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers (This is live-action/animated)
DC League of Super-Pets
Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio
Marcel the Shell with Shoes On
Minions: The Rise of Gru
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (This is live-action/animated)

CosmicRunaway 02-10-23 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 2370781)
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (This is live-action/animated)
Oh, I've seen one then. I forgot Sonic 2 was last year. It just feels so long ago now haha.

gbgoodies 02-11-23 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2370793)
Oh, I've seen one then. I forgot Sonic 2 was last year. It just feels so long ago now haha.

I watched Sonic the Hedgehog 2 when both Sonic movies aired on one of the cable movie channels. I didn't even realize that it was a 2022 movie at the time I watched it.

Iroquois 02-11-23 04:36 AM

I have to wonder about how eligible a film that's a mix of live-action and animation would have to be. I know Marcel the Shell was nominated for Best Animated Feature at the Oscars, but something like Sonic the Hedgehog 2 has greater emphasis on its live-action elements that I think deems it ineligible (and where does it end, with us nominating Avatar: The Way of Water?)

CosmicRunaway 02-11-23 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2371190)
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 has greater emphasis on its live-action elements that I think deems it ineligible (and where does it end, with us nominating Avatar: The Way of Water?)
I wouldn't personally have considered the Sonic films animation, but I'm also not going to stop anyone who wants to nominate Sonic 2, or any other similar "mixed medium" film in that category. If not enough people think it qualifies, it won't make the ballot anyway (unless very few people actually submit a list)

I also completely forgot about Avatar. Now that you bring it up, I guess the process isn't entirely dissimilar to rotoscoping though. I've always seen that type of CGI as being the film equivalence of a video game cutscene, and I'm not sure how to classify that.

CosmicRunaway 02-11-23 10:12 AM

Actually, I completely forgot that Avatar was also a mix of live-action and CGI until I was asking my room mate what his opinion on it was. I had completely forgotten about the human characters haha. I haven't seen the new one, and don't particularly care to, but I assume it also has real actors on screen as well.

So it's really in the same boat as Sonic. I've never known how to classify films that are primarily live-action, but heavily feature animated characters, so those of you who know and care more about animation are welcome to decide for yourselves. I'm fine with whatever the majority agrees to.

Hey Fredrick 02-11-23 11:03 AM

Haven't seen a lot of movies but have seen enough to make a decent ballot. The category I'm having the hardest time figuring out is the Most Memorable Scene of the Year**

It's a scene from RRR, for sure, but which one?There's like 10 to choose from. It has more memorable scenes than any movie I've seen in years.

CosmicRunaway 02-11-23 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Hey Fredrick (Post 2371233)
It's a scene from RRR, for sure, but which one?There's like 10 to choose from. It has more memorable scenes than any movie I've seen in years.
I feel you! On MM's letterboxd review I jokingly said I was going to nominate the entirety of RRR as the most memorable scene. :lol:

If I wasn't the host I would actually have submitted that as a laugh...but I would've immediately followed it up with my actual choices for the category, of course haha.