Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Forums Site Stuff (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   MoFo Fantasy Baseball - 2019 Draft (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=58859)

Yoda 02-19-19 11:31 AM

MoFo Fantasy Baseball - 2019 Draft

Howdy.

For those who didn't notice the note, the draft is set for [b]SATURDAY, MARCH 2ND at 1:00 PM ET[/i]. That's 10:00 AM PT. This has, I think, been the same time of day as the last whatever years. It's a little earlier in March than usual, however. Nobody has objected yet and a bunch of people have confirmed their availability, though.

Anyway, I'm about to set the order so people can prepare accordingly. Same process as last year: I've got the order of the teams from the league site, each gets assigned a number from that order (1-12), and I use random.org to grab a 1-12 number for the first pick. I then remove that team, reduce the range to 11, and keep going.

Draft order up in a few minutes!

Yoda 02-19-19 11:33 AM

First pick goes to...

High-Level Arbitrage, AKA Tim AKA @Banknotes Harper. Congrats on getting Trout.

Re: MoFo Fantasy Baseball - 2019 Draft

Second pick goes to...

Peanuts&Crackerjacks, AKA @rauldc14.

Third pick goes to...

Hakuna Machado, AKA Adam, AKA @Adamantium18.

Yoda 02-19-19 11:34 AM

Fourth pick goes to...

Cobb County Corncobs, AKA my friend Dan from softball.

Yoda 02-19-19 11:34 AM

Fifth pick goes to...

Freedonia Ducks AKA meeeeeeeeeeee.

Yoda 02-19-19 11:35 AM

Sixth pick goes to...

Done and Dunn, aka @mikeython1.

Yoda 02-19-19 11:36 AM

Seventh pick goes to...

The Empire, AKA @Fabulous.

Yoda 02-19-19 11:37 AM

Eighth pick goes to...

Clockwork Angels, AKA @Sedai.

Yoda 02-19-19 11:37 AM

Ninth pick goes to...

Roll Out The Barrel, AKA @Hey Fredrick.

Yoda 02-19-19 11:38 AM

Tenth pick goes to...

Dodgers, AKA @mark f.

Yoda 02-19-19 11:38 AM

Eleventh pick goes to...

Roid or Roid not, AKA @Powdered Water.

Yoda 02-19-19 11:39 AM

That means the twelfth pick goes to Moneyballers, AKA @TONGO.

Yoda 02-19-19 11:39 AM

Final draft order:

1. High-Level Arbitrage
  2. Peanuts&Crackerjacks
  3. Hakuna Machado
  4. Cobb County Corncobs
  5. Freedonia Ducks
  6. Done and Dunn
  7. The Empire
  8. Clockwork Angels
  9. Roll Out The Barrel
  10. Dodgers
  11. Roid or Roid not
  12. Moneyballers

Velvet 02-19-19 11:44 AM

tongo will not be happy

Yoda 02-19-19 11:48 AM

True, but only because TONGO always wants the highest pick possible, even though it's a snake-style draft and some other pick is very often better.

rauldc14 02-19-19 12:00 PM

I'm good with pick 2

Sedai 02-19-19 12:35 PM

I always seem to fall right around this same area in the draft. Let's see if I can avoid totally blowing it this season!

Nostromo87 02-19-19 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Velvet (Post 1991169)
tongo will not be happy
Yea the Jase alt doesn't really know what he's talking about here, getting the two picks back-to-back can be super advantageous.

Velvet 02-19-19 01:03 PM

im not a fantasy baseball expert therefore I didn't know that. Sorry to offend you.

Nostromo87 02-19-19 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Velvet (Post 1991186)
im not a fantasy baseball expert therefore I didn't know that. Sorry to offend you.
No offense taken, it was a swing-and-a-WHIFF

Powdered Water 02-19-19 01:32 PM

Damn, Tim gets Trout. Must be nice. I read someone talking about making a case for Betts over Trout. Maybe in a year or two. Not this year tho. :nope:

TONGO 02-19-19 02:20 PM

Getting boned out of the #1 pick in fantasy football this season and then following it up with the last pick in fantasy baseball is the opposite of cool.

Yoda 02-19-19 02:41 PM

The football thing is on me, though I think literally anyone who prepped for one slot and got another got equally boned.

I think it's a pretty fundamental misunderstanding of draft strategy to think of the picks as better higher up and worse lower down, however. There are any number of years I've specifically wanted lower picks, and I've almost never wanted the #1 overall choice in football or baseball.

This is particularly true in baseball, where the middle rounds matter a whole lot more than the early ones relative to football.

TONGO 02-20-19 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1991207)
The football thing is on me, though I think literally anyone who prepped for one slot and got another got equally boned.

I think it's a pretty fundamental misunderstanding of draft strategy to think of the picks as better higher up and worse lower down, however. There are any number of years I've specifically wanted lower picks, and I've almost never wanted the #1 overall choice in football or baseball.

This is particularly true in baseball, where the middle rounds matter a whole lot more than the early ones relative to football.
Thanks for trying Bro' ;)

Picking 12th does work with my Moneyball theme though. I noticed in mock drafts the most taken position is 12. Amazed who I could end up with too. Sadly Blake Snell wont be one of them, but I'll make do.

Banknotes Harper 02-24-19 01:57 PM

Thanks for getting everything going, Chris!

I feel like I get the first pick an inordinate number of the times, but I'm good with Mike Trout!

I'm good with March 2nd. If we end up changing for whatever reason, I cannot do the 17th or 24th.

TONGO 02-28-19 06:41 PM

Less than 3 days from now.......... :) :) :)

Yoda 03-01-19 11:42 AM

Draft is tomorrow:

@Banknotes Harper, @rauldc14, @Adamantium18, @mikeython1, @Fabulous, @Sedai, @mark f, @Hey Fredrick, @Powdered Water, @TONGO.

I'm sick and it really cut into my prep time, and I'm probably going to still feel weak and fuzzy tomorrow, but the season must go on.

Sedai 03-01-19 02:57 PM

I will still draft a worse team, as I still haven;t done any prep at all! I will cram a bunch in tomorrow morning...

TONGO 03-01-19 08:28 PM

For some reason I was thinking the draft was Sunday. Then I realized I committed myself to helping someone move out of their apartment tomorrow morning. Alot of people are helping (I think) so hopefully it wont take long. :( If I miss the draft it might be a blessing because my draft strategy was going to be gutsy, maybe even too gutsy. Sigh. Just giving everyone s headsup.

Banknotes Harper 03-01-19 10:55 PM

Happy Draft Eve, All! Please follow through on your plans to have mediocre drafts. Thank you!

Yoda 03-02-19 12:29 PM

I probably will, since I'm still sick as a dog and I've never drafted sick before. Totally destroyed a lot of the prep I'd planned the do the last few days, too. Oof. We'll see how this goes...

Sedai 03-02-19 01:38 PM

Draft room is open! :)

BAN TONGO! ;)

Banknotes Harper 03-02-19 04:04 PM

Good draft, all! How does everyone like their teams? My Matt Chapman pick was kind of an accident. I was going to take Eloy, but I got some lag and took Matt Chapman instead, but I may have dodged a bullet with avoiding waiting on Vlad Jr. and Eloy call-ups.

Powdered Water 03-02-19 04:06 PM

I wasn't sure if the crack I sent all of you in the mail would make it in time. Apparently it did its job. Welcome back to the fold Jose Ramirez! We were not expecting that at all, Dude. Please and Thank you.

Powdered Water 03-02-19 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Banknotes Harper (Post 1993504)
Good draft, all! How does everyone like their teams? My Matt Chapman pick was kind of an accident. I was going to take Eloy, but I got some lag and took Matt Chapman instead, but I may have dodged a bullet with avoiding waiting on Vlad Jr. and Eloy call-ups.

Yeah, I liked Chapman. I almost made a comment when you snagged him.

Banknotes Harper 03-02-19 04:13 PM

It works out well anyway, since it's not clear when Vlad Jr. is coming up, so I might've saved myself from a big mistake. I had good luck with Acuna last year, so I was looking at Vlad and Eloy coming into it. I like my team, but there are question marks, as always.

Yoda 03-02-19 04:18 PM

Yeah, the Ramirez drop was dumb. Enjoy that.

Adam's misclick or whatever is definitely a bummer, but he can make some noise anyway, I think. Just has less margin, needs more guys to break out. It'll be pretty epic if he manages it though.

TONGO 03-02-19 07:11 PM

I so hope Boston doesnt sign Craig Kimbrel. At the least though Ryan Brasier should be good for Holds. If Miggy and Encarnacion can stay healthy for an entire season that would help HUGE. Willy Adames is a gamble, but he was steady and strong for Tampa to finish out last year. Jose Alvarado might continue my tradition of always having the Ray's closer on my lineup. Hopeless chance of me winning the season? No. Probable? No. Better than second to last like I've been for the last 2 years? God I sure hope so. No matter how hard I tried my pace was consistent with a crippled hamster on a broke wheel. :)

PLAY BALL !!!

rauldc14 03-02-19 08:04 PM

If I can find some starting pitching in the waiver wire, well, ya never know.

No way I could make the draft by the way. Too damn tired.

Sedai 03-03-19 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1993508)
Yeah, the Ramirez drop was dumb. Enjoy that.
Yea, my bad on that one. I made the age-old error of not paying any attention to the first few guys in the round, thinking they would never fall to me. The combination of the misclick and a couple of odd reaches sent Ramirez to me, but since I had prepped to choose between either Yelich or Altuve, I didn't want to make a snap judgment on a guy that I quickly read as having a problem with his foot, even though he really doesn't have a problem with his foot. That's the fist thing I saw as I quickly scanned his card, and quickly decided to pass on him. A dumb ass move, for sure.

Anyhoo, I am content with my one-two punch of Altuve and Harper, who is now in a much better park for power stats. We shall see how it all plays out!

Sedai 03-05-19 05:53 PM

Have I mentioned I hate baseball?

My third round pick just went down with a rotator cuff problem.

TONGO 03-05-19 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 1994187)
Have I mentioned I hate baseball?

My third round pick just went down with a rotator cuff problem.
Oh wow man that's too bad.

YES! Happy happy! Joy joy!

TONGO 03-15-19 12:38 PM

Seds, is Lem helping you with your team again this year? I gotsta know my competition ;)

Sedai 03-15-19 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1996535)
Seds, is Lem helping you with your team again this year? I gotsta know my competition ;)
Not so far, no.

Can't you tell by my terrible draft? LOLOLOL

Yoda 03-15-19 12:50 PM

I could tell because I haven't received identical trade offers two days apart. ;)