Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Forums Site Stuff (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Rank How Important Rep Is (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=57950)

doubledenim 09-28-18 03:43 AM

Rank How Important Rep Is

If there is a discussion for this, please delete. My search came up emptay :yup: .

I don't mean this one way or the other. I know how I feel about rep and I'm curious to see the similarities or differences among others.

mattiasflgrtll6 09-28-18 07:41 AM

Re: Rank How Important Rep Is

Encouraging comments are what I appreciate the most, but rep really helps me gain motivation to write more reviews (which is why it sucks when I get none at all).

So... 4.

SeeingisBelieving 09-28-18 07:48 AM

I love it – and it's the only site I've ever been part of that uses that feature.

TheUsualSuspect 09-28-18 08:16 AM

I know a lot of people don't care for it, but I like it. It's unique to this site. I will say though, that back when there was negative rep....boy....people were really petty back then.

Iroquois 09-28-18 08:26 AM

"Back then"?

TheUsualSuspect 09-28-18 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1953940)
"Back then"?
;)

cricket 09-28-18 09:26 AM

It's not important for me to get it, but it's important for me to give it. I like people to know that someone is paying attention, especially when I don't have time to comment.

honeykid 09-28-18 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1953952)

It's not important for me to get it, but it's important for me to give it. I like people to know that someone is paying attention, especially when I don't have time to comment.
Quoted for truth.

It's nice to get it, but I'm not discouraged if I don't.

Iroquois 09-28-18 10:41 AM

I voted
not because I think it's unimportant but out of sheer resentment at the idea that I ever considered it important enough to keep trying to earn it and now can't break the habit.

Saunch 09-28-18 10:44 AM

Validate me.

Chypmunk 09-28-18 10:54 AM

I can take it or leave it.
I do prefer to leave it though.

phoenix feathers 09-28-18 10:57 AM

I watch the Oscars and help children in need.

It's a
from me.

rauldc14 09-28-18 11:45 AM

I hope this post gets rep. C'mon peeps!!!!

MovieGal 09-28-18 11:53 AM

It's not that important to me. It let's me know if ppl notice what I post. But not necessary. I will quote it post comment if I feel the need to discuss but I'm ****ty about repping. My mentions are off and have been for a while so I have no clue if someone is talking to me.

Velvet 09-28-18 11:56 AM

The Rodent 09-28-18 11:57 AM

I want to vote
:p

Like Movie Gal, me getting reps is just so I know when people have seen something.
It is nice though when people rep something of mine because they like it rather than just a notification of seeing it.

matt72582 09-28-18 12:04 PM

I was thinking about making a thread about reps in general.. For example, do you rep only if you like the movie, or do you rep because of the effort to watch something.. What do you do if someone has multiple movies, and you love half, and hate the other half? Those are the ones I don't rep because I want to be accurate.

Iroquois 09-28-18 12:06 PM

Simple - don't.

Citizen Rules 09-28-18 01:34 PM

I like the rep system...much more for giving reps to others, than for receiving them. Though, it's good to get reps too. It's like getting a smile from someone and that's always nice:)

I like to rep people to let them know different things such as:
  • I read your post and I agree
  • Wow that's a bummer my heart goes out to you
  • I love that movie too
  • I'm disagreeing with your viewpoint, but like you
  • Thanks for the help in a previous post

To me giving a rep is liking being kind to another person. It's a pity some think of reps as a negative thing, they're not.

Mr Minio 09-28-18 01:36 PM

I only ever post here for rep.

SeeingisBelieving 09-28-18 02:55 PM

That was just asking for a rep Minio ;).

Yam12 09-28-18 02:59 PM

Who the fck gives a sht aboyt meanungless intermet pounts

cat_sidhe 09-28-18 03:12 PM

I'm kind of rep happy sometimes and mostly give reps to show affection, agreement, support, or even just as a hey, I see you.../read your thing.... The receiver usually knows which of all those it is. I tend to not rep people who seem to hold their own like captive princesses in towers, though. It's like anything in life - :lol: Give and ye shall receive.

Stirchley 09-28-18 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by cat_sidhe (Post 1954074)
I tend to not rep people who seem to hold their own like captive princesses in towers, though.
Now there’s a simile. :p

Zotis 09-28-18 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Yam12 (Post 1954068)
Who the fck gives a sht aboyt meanungless intermet pounts
Everyone. I don't know if you've ever heard of Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, but they're sorta popular.

Citizen Rules 09-28-18 03:37 PM

I'm kind of rep happy sometimes and mostly give reps to show affection, agreement, support, or even just as a hey, I see you.../read your thing.... The receiver usually knows which of all those it is. I tend to not rep people who seem to hold their own like captive princesses in towers, though. It's like anything in life - :lol: Give and ye shall receive.
Amen to all that:) and I repped it too:p

cat_sidhe 09-28-18 03:40 PM

Also, one needs to take into account that a rep can give someone who's having a rough day but hasn't mentioned it a smile. Sometimes it's the small, seemingly insignificant things we do that keep one anothers' spirits up that makes the difference for that day.

I don't really think reps should be put under the microscope...they're a really social thing. There's often warmth behind a rep. It's only cold when it's the hardcore political talk (unless the user made a great joke and people are repping that, which, really, can be irresistable). At least that's what I've noticed.

cat_sidhe 09-28-18 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1954094)
Amen to all that:) and I repped it too:p
...and you received. :blush:

I will also say that I noticed in shout that a few members are sad their review threads aren't being given attention. I am the type to most probably rep as I go so you know I read your review. I may not always agree with what was said in the review, but my rep then goes to ASDHJASDH YAAAS YOU WATCHED THAT MOVIE!!!! and if I have anything more to say/question, I'll ask.

I did make a note to myself to try and read more review threads. I'll be honest and say that I look to people like @Captain Spaulding first because his "speak" gets to me instantly, I get visuals from what he types. I also notice Matti because he's from here, and I will support the Swede! Except if he starts telling me how GREAT Bruce Springsteen is.
https://media.giphy.com/media/zlu3RpTO1zmfe/giphy.gif
Then I'll pretty much have this face and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

I should break out of my little "speak" bubble, as it were. I sometimes feel like I'm so...on the outskirts that only maybe 5 MoFos would really get my taste and me theirs.

Anyway...so the individual review threads I'll pay more attention to from now on. The reps on those will be weither OMDAHSMDGJ YOU SAW THAT MOVIE or YEP, PRETTY MUCH MY THOUGHTS.

Powdered Water 09-28-18 03:47 PM

If you get enough rep, you win a new car!

cat_sidhe 09-28-18 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Powdered Water (Post 1954100)
If you get enough rep, you win a new car!
Funny you say that.... this message will make sense when my next thread appears.

Swan 09-28-18 03:49 PM

Wish there was a
option, because I'm pretty indifferent towards it.

cat_sidhe 09-28-18 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1954103)
Wish there was a
AND REP for profile pic change + user title....

Stirchley 09-28-18 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by cat_sidhe (Post 1954096)
Also, one needs to take into account that a rep can give someone who's having a rough day but hasn't mentioned it a smile. Sometimes it's the small, seemingly insignificant things we do that keep one anothers' spirits up that makes the difference for that day.
If only life were that simple.

Originally Posted by cat_sidhe (Post 1954099)
Except if he starts telling me how GREAT Bruce Springsteen is.
You leave our Bruce out of this. :p

cat_sidhe 09-28-18 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 1954112)
If only life were that simple.
Well, in a way...

You leave our Bruce out of this. :p
Are you sure you're not a Swedish man?

MovieGal 09-28-18 04:25 PM

I tend to not rep people who seem to hold their own like captive princesses in towers, though. It's like anything in life - :lol: Give and ye shall receive.
What?!?!

I was chained up in the f*cking basement held captive!

cat_sidhe 09-28-18 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 1954128)
I tend to not rep people who seem to hold their own like captive princesses in towers, though. It's like anything in life - :lol: Give and ye shall receive.
What?!?!

I was chained up in the f*cking basement held captive!

See, that got you a rep. Because you MADE A JOKE and ypu kinda hate comedy. GOTCHAAAAA! :p

TheUsualSuspect 09-28-18 05:55 PM

I know you can see how many rep points you have in total, is there a way to figure out how many you've given other people???
@Yoda

cat_sidhe 09-28-18 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 1954163)
I know you can see how many rep points you have in total, is there a way to figure out how many you've given other people???
@Yoda
Are you....asking for a friend?

https://i.gifer.com/FnJa.gif

Stirchley 09-28-18 06:26 PM

This little kitten I posted this week is upset because his photo didn’t get one single rep. :p

doubledenim 09-28-18 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1954103)
Wish there was a
On a whole number scale, 3 can be your personal 2.5 :D

Stirchley 09-28-18 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by cat_sidhe (Post 1954118)
Are you sure you're not a Swedish man?
Close. A British woman.

cat_sidhe 09-28-18 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 1954188)
Close. A British woman.
SO TRUE. OMFG the repression here is staright up British at times. But for some reason, all Swedish males connect with Brice Springsteen because he had problems communicating with his father. And that's a Swedish thing...you know like Pink Floyd said in one of their lyrics "hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way". It's kind of the same for Swedish males. Except they take it ALL from Bruce Springsteen. I can't even explain why. I can only tell you I have a friend who wrote a dissertation about Brice Springsteen and the role his father had in his lyrics...

:eek:

I just like to grind, man...

Yoda 09-28-18 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 1954163)
@Yoda
Yes, with the caveat that any time you guys say "is there a way" or "is it possible" the answer is almost always yes because that's super broad. :D

There is not currently, however, a page everyone can just go to to see this number. But I've been meaning to expand the rep stats system for a long time now, and that might be a good addition...

Stirchley 09-28-18 06:34 PM

I was being sardonic. I can’t imagine any similarities between a Swedish man & a British woman. We don’t even speak the same language.

You think British people are repressed?

cat_sidhe 09-28-18 06:47 PM

Yes. Even Swedish people recognise they're repressed like the British. You only see the REAL Swedes when they're drunk and it's a såorting event, or it's pay day weekend... THEN you see the Viking OMFG TAKE COVER Swede.

7thson 09-28-18 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1953952)

Unless it is for a competition ;).

John McClane 09-28-18 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 1953938)
I know a lot of people don't care for it, but I like it. It's unique to this site. I will say though, that back when there was negative rep....boy....people were really petty back then.
Quoted for truth!

I remember the great flame wars of yore! :laugh: :devil:

I love the rep system and don’t ever want to see it go, but I would like to see it built upon, too. But I honestly can’t think of anything that is *needed* to make it better. So I voted

MovieGal 09-28-18 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by cat_sidhe (Post 1954129)
See, that got you a rep. Because you MADE A JOKE and ypu kinda hate comedy. GOTCHAAAAA! :p
lol @cat_sidhe

You must have never read this

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...03#post1397303

don't get me wrong.. I love MovieMeditations to death.. yes damn it!! to death.....

Him, Neiba, Mr Minio and several others are close friends and I care a hell of a lot about them...

feel free to read a couple of pages into it.. you can tell who luvs me..

Cobpyth 09-28-18 11:13 PM

d_chatterley 09-29-18 12:33 AM

It depends on a thread.

I like it on musical threads because you not only get a feel of someone liking your music or songs, but also liking a specific genre. It just feels more specific. I sort of keep an eye on a few people to see what else they post musically speaking because I just like their taste.

Political threads are a different story. I feel it is a lot more tribal and I like it less than anywhere else. You get a feel like it's the same people repping the same other people like one giant virtual circle jerk. If that is your thing, you go ahead. It certainly is not mine. Don't like the gang mentality of it.

The thing I really dislike the most is when people complain about a person with opposing views being repped. I mean, your ego can't be THAT fragile can it?

gbgoodies 09-29-18 03:27 AM

I like seeing at least a few reps on some of my posts just so that I know that I'm not just talking to myself sometimes, but I have no interest in having that "one big post" that gets the most rep for a single post. I just like to know that I'm not wasting my time posting to nobody.

Having said that, I love to give rep. I think it's important to let people know that other people are paying attention to them, and that we like what you have to say and/or agree with it. I especially like repping the fun posts with pictures that highlight whatever the poster is trying to say.

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 1953996)
I was thinking about making a thread about reps in general.. For example, do you rep only if you like the movie, or do you rep because of the effort to watch something.. What do you do if someone has multiple movies, and you love half, and hate the other half? Those are the ones I don't rep because I want to be accurate.
For movie reviews, I usually rep the post if I agree with the review or the rating, but sometimes I'll rep a post about a movie that I haven't seen yet if the review made the movie sound good enough for me to add it to my watchlist.

If there are several movies reviewed in one post, I usually rep it if I agree with at least one of the reviews, as long as I don't disagree with more than one review.

Iroquois 09-29-18 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by d_chatterley (Post 1954298)
The thing I really dislike the most is when people complain about a person with opposing views being repped. I mean, your ego can't be THAT fragile can it?
I don't know if it's an ego thing so much as the idea of seeing someone express an especially disagreeable opinion and then thinking "geez, can't believe so many people are agreeing with that". There's a difference between a person saying "Blade Runner isn't that good" and "antifa and neo-Nazis are just as bad as each other".

Gatsby 09-29-18 07:21 AM

I've upvoted posts that made me laugh despite having views on movies/politics/whatever I disagree with. Most of them were from SC I reckon.

Iroquois 09-29-18 07:24 AM

I barely give out rep no matter what.

Gatsby 09-29-18 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1954335)
I barely give out rep no matter what.
Yeah, that's why I have a shrine dedicated to the few times you've given me rep. All screenshots, pinned on a bright wall and in mint condition.

Iroquois 09-29-18 07:37 AM

That is the saddest non-Nostromo post I've ever seen on this website.

Gatsby 09-29-18 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1954337)
That is the saddest non-Nostromo post I've ever seen on this website.
Thanks Iro. :p

cricket 09-29-18 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by d_chatterley (Post 1954298)
IPolitical threads are a different story. I feel it is a lot more tribal and I like it less than anywhere else. You get a feel like it's the same people repping the same other people like one giant virtual circle jerk. If that is your thing, you go ahead. It certainly is not mine. Don't like the gang mentality of it.
I will often rep somebody I am debating in a political thread even if I completely disagree with their post. It's out of respect if they are at least being thoughtful and fair. For instance, I wouldn't rep someone who randomly showed up to post nothing more than a facepalm even though they didn't understand the conversation;)

Citizen Rules 09-29-18 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1954434)
I will often rep somebody I am debating in a political thread even if I completely disagree with their post. It's out of respect if they are at least being thoughtful and fair...
That's one of the best uses of reps....Without reps, MoFo might be a more negative site.

Iroquois 09-29-18 03:17 PM

If that's one of the best uses of rep, then it seems I was right to question its usefulness.

HashtagBrownies 09-29-18 03:23 PM

For letting people know that I've read their big-ass posts and they didn't waste their time.

Chypmunk 09-29-18 03:24 PM

:facepalm:

Yoda 09-29-18 06:16 PM

Would rather not drag a political debate into this thread. Fine to continue, but if so I'll have to move the posts, so just a heads-up there.

cat_sidhe 09-29-18 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1954634)
So you realize you left a facepalm because I didn't know someone who was brought up by an intoxicated person, and that someone had zero to do with the conversation?
You all better be facepalming right now because I have no idea what this original facepalming event has to do with anything. Can we all just side eye one another and put this to rest?

Citizen Rules 09-29-18 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by cat_sidhe (Post 1954650)
You all better be facepalming right now because I have no idea what this original facepalming event has to do with anything. Can we all just side eye one another and put this to rest?
See, I repped that post, because I agree:)

Iroquois 09-30-18 01:04 AM

Just noticed I can't check who voted for what.

Zotis 09-30-18 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by HashtagBrownies (Post 1954480)

For letting people know that I've read their big-ass posts and they didn't waste their time.
That's a good point actually. Sometimes you just want to let people know you read their post so they don't feel like they wasted their time if there are no replies.

doubledenim 09-30-18 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1954744)
Just noticed I can't check who voted for what.

Iroquois 09-30-18 04:38 AM

Now that gets the rare and coveted Iro Rep™.