Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Reviews (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Optimus Reviews (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=38904)

Optimus 02-20-15 07:26 AM

Optimus Reviews

Hello everyone and welcome to Optimus Reviews.....

https://i.postimg.cc/gjCpb2v7/E84720...-D8758-E21.jpg

Just lately while working on my favourites list I've been writing a couple of reviews. I've decided to start up a new review thread so I can dive a little deeper into some of my top 100 favourite movies plus others. Some of you guys have some excellent review threads and I've enjoyed reading your thoughts and opinions are some movies I love and hate. I've decided to join in and give this thread a good go and hopefully you will enjoy some of my reviews. Ime currently messing around with a format, but hopefully it won't be to long.
Page 1:
Iron Man

Starred Up

Exodus: Gods And Kings

American Psycho

Page 2:
Death Race

Guardians Of The Galaxy

Page 3:
The Equalizer

Fast And Furious 7

Show Girls

Page 4:
The Fast And The Furious

2 Fast 2 Furious

Page 5:
Fast And Furious: Tokyo Drift

Jurassic World

Get Hard

Roadhouse

Warrior

Lego Movie

Page 6:
Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No

The Orphan

Sisters

Mad Max: Fury Road

Page 7:
Shaun Of The Dead

John Wick

The Revenant

Page 8:
Legend

Toy Story 3

A Nightmare On Elm Street

Page 9:
A Nightmare On Elm Street (2010)

Page 10:
Pain And Gain

Batman And Robin

Saw

Page 11:
Batman vs Superman

Deadpool

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Page 12:
The Human Centipede II (Full Sequence)

The Incredible Hulk

Page 13:
Batman Returns

The Lost Boys

Ant-Man

Page 14:
The Suicide Squad

Captain America: Cival War

Page 15:
Dumb And Dumber

Mighty Joe Young

Blood Father

Finding Dory

Independence Day 2

Under Siege

Page 16:
Jaws

Die Hard With A Vengeance

Jurassic Park III

Deep Blue Sea

Never Back Down

King Kong

Commando

Page 17:
Kong Skull Island

I.T

The Thing (2011)

Page 18:
The Thing (1982)

War For The Planet Of The Apes

Predators

Home Alone

Page 19:
Justice League

Shawshank Redemtion

Arrival

Sunshine

Aliens

Zack Snyder’s Justice League

Godzilla vs Kong

Optimus 02-20-15 01:08 PM

Iron Man
Directed By: Jon Favreau

https://i.postimg.cc/rsqhhy7B/AE0-A9...-ED7201-F9.jpg

As a big fan of Superhero movies all I can say is that Iron Man is something special. In fact the superhero genre itself is something special. Every year DC/Marvel put asses in seats with there movies earning hundreds of millions, even billions of dollars. There well acclaimed by critics and audiences just can't seem to get enough of these huge blockbusters. For me there is one movie that triumphs all and that is Iron Man. Forget The Dark Knight, forget The Avengers, Iron Man is the king of Superhero movies.

https://i.postimg.cc/BZhcWCFL/5-AB23...5449-EE474.jpg

Superhero movies all have the same basic story. They all have action, they all have there villains and they all have there superhero. One thing that sets Iron Man apart from the rest is Robert Downey Jr. Iron Man was made for Robert Downey Jr, well that's how it feels anyway. His portrayal of Tony Stark is somewhat special. He's cool, slick, and is humour is timed to perfection. He's a superhero different to the rest. He doesn't have muscles bursting out his shirt, or a big fancy hammer. He doesn't shoot webs or have a big powerful shield. He's a normal rich guy who makes his own suit and his own luck. What's even more impressive is when Tony Stark is on screen with The Avengers he still seems the superior Superhero, he still steals the show and he still feels like the leader. Robert Downey Jr just has excellent screen presence and it really shows as Tony Stark/Iron Man.

https://i.postimg.cc/bv3dGmp1/56-A21...57-DAAE965.jpg

Movie Trivia: To prepare for his role as Iron Man, Robert Downey Jr. spent five days a week weight training and practiced martial arts to get into shape.

To prepare for her role as Pepper Potts, Gwyneth Paltrow asked Marvel to send her any comics to aid her understanding of the character.

Rhodey's ringtone for when Tony Stark calls him is a midi version of the theme music to the 1966 Iron Man cartoon.

Another reason I think Iron Man is more superior to the other superhero movies is the origin of Iron Man. Don't get me wrong I loved Batman Begins origin but Iron Man is something that feels more real. It's something that fits in with todays society and something that's actually quite brave to go with. Iron Man is great from the beginning till the end. It has great pace and great action thats really exciting. I own this movie on both Blu Ray and DVD and I never get bored.

Overall Iron Man is not only my favourite superhero movie, it's also one of my all time favourites. It's action packed with a great cast, and a great performance from Robert Downey Jr.

Sedai 02-20-15 02:08 PM

Re: Optimus Reviews

Great formatting. Really well done!

Just for the record - we do have a header tag you can use if you want the fonts to match the look of the site a bit more. The tag is as follows:

[*header]Movie Title Here[/header*]

Just remove the asterisk I have in the code and it should work for you. :)

Optimus 02-20-15 02:25 PM

Thanks Sed!.

How does that header code work when adding Bold and Size tho?. Doesn't seem to work then?,

Optimus 02-21-15 05:31 AM

Just a few cool Iron Man posters I came across while searching for some pictures.

Optimus 02-23-15 09:22 AM

Starred Up
Directed By: David Mackenzie

https://i.postimg.cc/TYddbrN9/6-DBCA...45-CA31-F2.jpg

My next review is 2013's British prison drama Starred Up. This may be a movie many of you have never heard off, but it's a very well acclaimed movie by critics and festivals and currently holds a 99% fresh rating on rotten tomatoes. I only found out about this movie myself when I was flicking through the television one night board and came across it, and ime glad I did. Starred up is a very violent movie with some very powerful performances. It has an excellent cast and a very strong story. Some of you may have also noticed it went straight into my top 100 favourite movies, so I personally rate this movie very highly.

https://i.postimg.cc/fR3J3ckP/D5-ABA...89355-B8-D.jpg

One thing that audiences and critics have praised about this movie is the performance of young rising star Jack O'Connell. You may recognise this young star from Angelina Jolie's Unbroken, or tv series Skins. He's tipped to be a huge star and this movie showcases just why. He sort of reminds me of a young Tom Hardy, and his performance in Starred up is quite similar to Hardy's performance in Bronson. Both actors carry them selfs very well and both have a very similar body language. Jack O'Connell also bagged him self BAFTA award for rising star this past year, as well as countless other british awards so he's certainly making a name for himself.

https://i.postimg.cc/g0xSTk45/42-B04...7-FDD8-C19.jpg

Movie Trivia: The title ("Starred Up") is a term used to describe the early transfer of a criminal from a Young Offender Institution to an adult prison.

Based on screenwriter Jonathan Asser's experiences working as a voluntary therapist at HM Prison Wandsworth.

No music score is used in the entire film, except for the end credits.
Director David Mackenzie really knows how to build up tension in this movie. The first 5 minutes where our young convict is signed into prison is quite a powerful scene and yet there are no words really spoken. The scene feels like where along side him, and you get a feeling of what it would be like to be put in prison, the scene is captured very cleverly. Mackenzie also knows how to deliver on the violence. The movie flows rather nicely but when things do kick off there certainly delivered with mayhem and power. Mackenzie Aldo deserves a lot of credit for casting O'Connell. I know I've mentioned his performance above, but he really is the star of this movie.

Overall Starred Up was one of my favourite movies of 2013. It's great cast, great script, and really fine performances make it a film you really must see. Actually writing this review makes me think i should of placed Starred Up even higher in my top 100 favourites, great movie.

Optimus 02-23-15 11:11 AM

If anyone is interested here's the trailer to Starred Up.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=zE4ziBfu0JA

Optimus 02-23-15 02:18 PM

Just a mini review next of Disney's Big Hero 6. I'll be posting both mini and detailed reviews in this thread.

Big Hero 6
Directed By: Don Hall, Chris Williams

http://img.pixady.com/2015/02/916525_image.jpg

I managed to catch Big Hero 6 over the weekend and I was left feeling quite disappointed. Ime a big fan of animated movies, there fun for everyone and normally have some great characters. But that just wasn't the case here. Sure I enjoyed Baymax, but the rest of the characters are very weak. There is no development at all and they left feeling like pawn pieces in the background. Big Hero 6 is not a bad movie by any means, but I was expecting a lot more considering this was disney and a Marvel adaption.

cricket 02-23-15 08:47 PM

I never heard of Starred Up but it sure sounds like something I'd like.

Not very interested in Big Hero 6.

Love Iron-Man!

Optimus 02-24-15 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1260557)
I never heard of Starred Up but it sure sounds like something I'd like.

Not very interested in Big Hero 6.

Love Iron-Man!
You should really check it out cricket. I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on it.

Optimus 03-10-15 03:28 PM

Exodus: Gods and Kings
Directed By: Ridley Scott

https://i.postimg.cc/59KHx4mp/B0-D7-...31929-A7-E.jpg

Plot Summary: The defiant leader Moses rises up against the Egyptian Pharaoh Ramses, setting 600,000 slaves on a monumental journey of escape from Egypt and its terrifying cycle of deadly plagues.

Movie Trivia: Darren Aronofsky originally wanted Christian Bale to play the title role in Noah (2014) but Bale had to decline due to scheduling conflicts. The role ultimately went to Russell Crowe, a frequent Ridley Scott collaborator. Bale was later cast as Moses, another biblical figure, in this Scott-helmed feature.

The film was originally called simply "Exodus", but it later received the subtitle "Gods and Kings" because 20th Century Fox could not procure the rights for "Exodus" alone from MGM, who owns the rights through the unrelated film Exodus (1960).

Joel Edgerton found out about getting the role of Ramses when he received multiple congratulatory emails from people who had heard about his casting online.

To prepare for his role as Moses, Christian Bale quickly surpassed Sunday school basics and delved into scripture and literary works. He read the first five books of the Bible, the Koran, as well as Louis Ginzberg's classic, "Legends of the Jews" and Jonathan Kirsch's "Moses, A Life.
http://i67.tinypic.com/2u3wq3m.jpg

Ridley Scott has always been amongst my favourite directors. Movies like Gladiator, American Gangster, and Prometheus are some of my favourite movies, with some even making my top 100 list. When I first seen the trailer for Exodus my first reaction was.. Wow. The action looked fantastic, the movie looked stunning and the cast looked excellent. Christian Bale and Joel Edgerton are both very talented actors, especially Edgerton who happens to be one of favourite actors around at the moment. His performance in Warrior really opened my eyes to just how talented this guy really is. Anyway, after watching the trailer I really thought Ridley Scott had delivered something more powerful than Gladiator, something more epic, something rather special, and damn was I wrong.

http://i68.tinypic.com/16ktdo3.jpg

First off, what the f*** is going on with the movie title.?. Exodus: Gods and Kings!, it sound like a Playstation game, or the title of a direct to DVD movie. It's certainly not the title I would expect to see from a Ridley Scott movie. Secondly why the hell does Joel Edgerton look like a drag queen on drugs. Or why does Christian Bale walk around shouting like he's still in Batman. Or maybe we should talk about the many different accents in the movie that's meant to be set in Egypt. The whole movie just feels like a mess, and I could keep going on about things that annoyed me. This is by far Ridley Scott's weakest movie I've seen, and it's a shame. He's become a director I expect great things from, not garbage like Exodus: Gods and Kings ( I cringe writing that title). Sure this movie has some pretty good action, and some scenes look pretty good, but the whole movie is just a huge disappointment.

Overall I was left really disappointed in a movie I was really looking forward to seeing. Ridley Scott really took his finger of the mark here, and I expected a lot more of Christian Bale. Bad acting, bad performances, bad film.

MovieMeditation 03-10-15 03:41 PM

Great write-ups, love the way you have done the layout and formatting! Can't wait to check out more :D

Optimus 03-10-15 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by MovieMeditation (Post 1268217)
Great write-ups, love the way you have done the layout and formatting! Can't wait to check out more :D
Thanks mate. Keep checking in :).

Sedai 03-10-15 05:11 PM

Good review. Looks like another miss for ol' Ridley, eh?

Optimus 03-11-15 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 1268233)
Good review. Looks like another miss for ol' Ridley, eh?
Yep, I wouldn't recommend it.

MovieMeditation 03-11-15 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Optimus (Post 1268220)
Thanks mate. Keep checking in :).
As long as you check out my film diary once in a while, we got a deal. :p hah

Optimus 03-11-15 03:17 PM

American Psycho
Directed By: Mary Harron

http://i67.tinypic.com/2n1xrgx.jpg

Plot Summary: Patrick Bateman is handsome, well educated and intelligent. He is twenty-seven and living his own American dream. He works by day on Wall Street, earning a fortune to complement the one he was born with. At night he descends into madness, as he experiments with fear and violence.

American Psycho has got to be one of the strangest movie experiences of my life. It's a movie that is awkward and so tense that it gives off a really un-easy feeling while your watching the film. This is a movie that's very dark, disturbing and actually quite sickening. It's a movie that can have you laughing one minute, and then have you covering your eyes the next. It's also a very clever movie that is slick, stylish and very well made by Mary Harron. American Psycho is a blend of horror and humour and it's a fantastic film that's a pleasure to watch.

Movie Trivia: In each scene with Detective Donald Kimball (Willem Dafoe), Mary Harron asked Dafoe to portray his character three different ways: 1) Kimble knew Patrick Bateman killed Paul Allen, 2) Kimball didn't know Bateman killed Allen, and 3) Kimball wasn't sure if Bateman killed Allen. Harron would then edit the takes together, giving the audience an unsure vibe of what Detective Kimball thought of Bateman.

Christian Bale was warned by many that it would be career suicide for him to play the lead in a film like this. This only made him more eager to take the part.

Looking for a way to create the character of Patrick Bateman, Christian Bale stumbled onto a Tom Cruise appearance on David Letterman. According to American Psycho (2000) director Mary Harron, Bale saw in Cruise "this very intense friendliness with nothing behind the eyes" and Bale subsequently based the character of Bateman on that. Interestingly, Tom Cruise is actually featured in the novel; he lives in the same apartment complex as Bateman, who meets him in a lift and gets the name of Cocktail (1988) wrong, calling it "Bartender".
http://i63.tinypic.com/2cylfr7.jpg

The one thing I will praise above all else in American Psycho is Christian Bales performance. Patrick Bateman is a serial killer like no other. He's so strange, so creepy, and so weird that you find your self laughing at scenes that you probably shouldn't be laughing at. It's a fantastic performance from Christian Bale and he delivers one of his finest performances yet. ( especially without his stupid batman voice).

http://i68.tinypic.com/2s17k0h.jpg

Overall American Psycho is a very good movie. Great cast, great performances, and some very cool soundtracks. It's a very disturbing movie that will still make you have a laugh <<< sounds strange, but it's true.

Sedai 03-11-15 03:36 PM

Yep - One of Bale's best performances, even if it goes over the top a bit here and there. I especially love the tense business card scene (I work in the printing industry, and these people absolutely exist).

Optimus 03-11-15 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 1268800)
Yep - One of Bale's best performances, even if it goes over the top a bit here and there. I especially love the tense business card scene (I work in the printing industry, and these people absolutely exist).
The Business card scene is brilliant. Very awkward, but fascinating scene.

MovieMeditation 03-11-15 03:41 PM

Love American Psycho as welll, an awesome flick indeed with a phenomenal Christian Bale performance to go with all the madness.

Optimus 03-11-15 04:21 PM

Christian Bale is really talented but he's stuck in a rut at the moment. He's always shouting and using that husky batman voice and it annoys the hell out of me. He was great in The Fighter aswell tho.

Optimus 03-12-15 10:00 AM

Has anyone seen American Psycho 2?. And if so is it worth watching.

Optimus 03-27-15 06:25 AM

Death Race
Directed By: Paul W.S Anderson

http://i66.tinypic.com/jghyqx.jpg

I've never seen Death Race 2000 so this movie was all new to me. I've seen this movie on the tv numerous times lately but I've never given it ago until last night. I dunno, I always got the impression it was a cheap looking movie like one of those straight to dvd movies you see on sale in your local dvd store. The movie stars Jason Statham who I actually quite like. I've enjoyed some of his movies in the past like Snatch, The Transporter, even Crank was entertaining ( but still pretty sh**). He's also one of The Expendables and one of today's big action movie stars...but with a hairy chest and a bald head of course. Damn how our action movie stars have changed over the years. Anyways, he's a pretty good actor so I finally decided to give Death Race a shot. My verdict... It was actually pretty entertaining.

http://i68.tinypic.com/3522fcz.jpg

Movie Trivia: Originally written as a sequel to Death Race 2000 (1975) titled Death Race 3000, a race around the world with futuristic hovering, invisible and transformer cars, but had to be rewritten due to production costs.

Joan Allen was the production's first choice to play the female warden. Much to Paul W.S. Anderson's surprise, Allen was just as keen to do the film, wanting to shake up her image.

David Carradine, who starred in the original Death Race 2000 (1975) plays the voice of Frankenstein in the opening scene.

Jason Statham trained so hard for the role that he went from 20% body fat to 6%. It took him 3 months to do so.

That's a real scar on Natalie Martinez's face, the result of a childhood accident.

To get into fighting shape, Jason Statham trained for months with an ex-Navy SEAL, one of the key trainers who built the Spartans of 300 (2006).

The thing I enjoyed the most about Death Race was it's violence. It doesn't hold back on anything and some scenes are actually very brutal. Don't let that put you off tho, Death Race is a very fun movie with some crazy cars, cool races, and some wacky characters. Characters with names like Frankenstein, Machine Gun Joe, and The Grim Reaper all add to what feels like a movie/video game, which I wanted to take control of and play along with. Death Race does have it's cheap thrills amongst all the glorious action. It's full of bad dialogue and cheesy scenes which you can expect from a movie like this. And it also has some bad performances especially from Tyrese Gibson. But it really doesn't matter because the madness takes over and the fun kicks in.

http://i68.tinypic.com/2lu74ht.jpg

Overall Death Race was surprisingly good. It's not deserving of any awards but it is what it is, and that's fun. It has loads of cool action, crazy car races, and is a wacky cross between a prison movie, and a fast and furious movie, so what's not to like. Ime currently adding Death Race 2000 to make watch list so I can see what the original was like. It should be interesting to see how I feel about it having watched the remake first. So all that left to say is "Release The Dreadnaught".

Gatsby 03-27-15 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Optimus (Post 1269165)
Has anyone seen American Psycho 2?. And if so is it worth watching.
No, it's not.

And you said you haven't seen the original Death Race 2000, we'll the remake and the original is pretty much the same quality. Although a particular someone might disagree. :p

Optimus 03-27-15 08:45 AM

I always thought the original was more superior from what I've read. I'll still give it a shot and see what I think.

The Sci-Fi Slob 03-27-15 01:04 PM

Death Race is 2.5/3 stars for me. Popcorn action fun with cars and Jason Statham-Brando.

honeykid 03-27-15 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Gatsby (Post 1276528)
No, it's not.

And you said you haven't seen the original Death Race 2000, we'll the remake and the original is pretty much the same quality. Although a particular someone might disagree. :p
Indeed that particular person does disagree. :D

Optimus 03-27-15 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 1276600)
Indeed that particular person does disagree. :D
I had a feeling it would be you :).

honeykid 03-27-15 02:47 PM

It usually is. :D

Captain Spaulding 03-27-15 06:06 PM

Very good reviews, Optimus. As others have noted, you have a real knack when it comes to formatting.

Iron Man is my favorite Marvel movie. When it comes to superhero films, my friends usually prefer the sequels because they boast more action and more villains. I'm the opposite. I usually prefer the first movies because telling an origin story requires much more emphasis on character development. Iron Man is a perfect example.

I had never heard of Starred Up until recently, but it's gotten a lot of praise and popped up on a lot of best-of-the-year lists. I watched the trailer that you shared. Some of the adjectives thrown its way -- "brutal," "poetically violent," etc.-- bode well for my potential enjoyment.

Big Hero 6 looks like a fun, harmless movie. I'm surprised it won the Oscar this year for Best Animated Film. Hopefully I like it more than you, but I doubt I'll love it.

Judging by some of your favorites, if anyone was going to like Exodus, it would be you, so your negative reaction must mean the movie really sucks. I don't think I've read a single positive thing about it, which is disappointing, because I was genuinely looking forward to it.

American Psycho is okay. I like the dark humor and Bale's performance, but I'm not overly fond of the movie as a whole. I seem to be in the minority, though, because lots of people love it.

Your thoughts on Death Race echo my own, even though I'd rate it a full popcorn less. I haven't seen the original, either, but the remake was entertaining. I rented the direct-to-video sequel, too, but it was pretty poor.

False Writer 03-27-15 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Optimus (Post 1260401)
Just a mini review next of Disney's Big Hero 6. I'll be posting both mini and detailed reviews in this thread.

Big Hero 6
Directed By: Don Hall, Chris Williams

http://img.pixady.com/2015/02/916525_image.jpg

I managed to catch Big Hero 6 over the weekend and I was left feeling quite disappointed. Ime a big fan of animated movies, there fun for everyone and normally have some great characters. But that just wasn't the case here. Sure I enjoyed Baymax, but the rest of the characters are very weak. There is no development at all and they left feeling like pawn pieces in the background. Big Hero 6 is not a bad movie by any means, but I was expecting a lot more considering this was disney and a Marvel adaption.
I liked Big Hero 6, but I do agree with you that it wasn't quite on the level of the other recent Disney movies. It seemed like it was missing the things that made Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph, and Frozen great. I'd give it 3.5 out of 5 while I'd give the other three 4+.

Optimus 03-28-15 08:50 AM

Thanks for the reply's guys.

And thanks for the compliment about my formatting Spaulding. I only use my iphone to post so it can be a big of a pain.

christine 03-28-15 10:52 AM

Enjoying your reviews Optimus - keep up the good work!
I agree with you about Christian Bale.I don't rate him that highly but he has done a few outstanding roles for which he has had a particular affinity. American Psycho was one of those.

Optimus 03-30-15 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by christine (Post 1277325)
Enjoying your reviews Optimus - keep up the good work!
I agree with you about Christian Bale.I don't rate him that highly but he has done a few outstanding roles for which he has had a particular affinity. American Psycho was one of those.
Agreed, he is very hit and miss. I love him in American Psycho, The Fighter and Harsh Times. I also thought he was okay in The Prestige, and Equilibrium, but in Batman trilogy he was pretty boring. He wasn't bad but I much preferred Michael Keaton as Bruce Wayne.

Optimus 03-31-15 09:13 AM

http://i66.tinypic.com/jaj8di.jpg

Guardians Of The Galaxy
Directed: James Gunn

http://img.pixady.com/2015/03/969360_image.jpg

Ime a huge fan of the Marvel Universe movies. Some have been fantastic, some have been average, and some have been pretty poor, but as a whole they have all been very entertaining, exciting, and pretty damn cool. One thing I would criticise about all of Marvels films as of late was that they all started becoming abit repetitive. After years of Thor, Iron Man, and Captain America nothing felt fresh, or new. Everything felt pretty much the same, which ime not saying is a bad thing because those movies where great. Ime just saying Marvel needed to inject a spark into there movies and damn did they deliver with Guardians Of The Galaxy.

http://img.pixady.com/2015/03/372731_image.jpg

Movie Trivia: When Dave Bautista found out he got the role of Drax the Destroyer, he broke down in tears, overjoyed at getting a Marvel comic-book role. He immediately signed up for extra acting classes in order to prepare for the role.

Vin Diesel recorded all of his "I am Groot" lines in several different languages, including Russian, Mandarin, Spanish, Portuguese, German and French so that they could use his real voice in the film around the world.

The soundtrack album "Awesome Mix, Vol. 1" reached number one on the US Billboard 200 chart, the first film soundtrack ever to reach number one without a single original song. It is also nominated at the 2015 GRAMMY Awards for Best Soundtrack
If ime totally honest I only seen this movie for the first time last night, so my excitement is still pretty much fresh. For the past few months people have kept telling me how good this movie was and how I needed to watch it. But the problem was the trailer did nothing for me. A talking raccoon, a living tree, and a former wwe wrestler hardly had me filling with joy. So what i did was I read some reviews on here and decided to finally give it a shot, and damn am I glad I did. Guardians Of The Galaxy is one of the most exciting movies I've seen in a long while. It's action packed, funny, emotional, and just so damn fun that I just wanted more. The talking Raccoon that put me off this movie in the first place ended up being the highlight of the movie. The former wwe wrestler that had me cringing actually had me laughing. And the Tree man that looked lame and stupid was actually a great character. The whole movie was just a complete surprise and a pleasure to watch.

http://img.pixady.com/2015/03/163678_image.jpg

Movie Trivia According to Vin Diesel, his performance as Groot helped him through a dark time in his life; he was dealing with the loss of his best friend and "Fast and Furious" co-star Paul Walker: "It was the first time I came back to dealing with human beings after dealing with death, so playing a character who celebrates life in the way Groot does was very nice."

James Gunn stated that Chris Pratt's audition was so good, that he was prepared to offer him the role even if Pratt did not lose weight and get in shape in time. Gunn joked that he was willing to CGI a six pack on Pratt's body. However, Pratt asked him to give him 6 months to lose 50 pounds and he ended up losing 60 pounds.
Overall Guardians Of The Galaxy is marvel at it's best. Great characters, great cast, and some really cool action that's looks amazing. This is certainly a movie I will be re-watching very soon and a movie that I would place is my current top 50 movies without a doubt.

The Sci-Fi Slob 03-31-15 10:05 AM

Nice review.I thought Guardians of the Galaxy was pretty good, and Dave Batista wasn't as bad as I thought he would be. :D

Optimus 03-31-15 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by The Sci-Fi Slob (Post 1278362)
Nice review.I thought Guardians of the Galaxy was pretty good, and Dave Batista wasn't as bad as I thought he would be. :D
He actually shocked me too to be honest. He's wasn't bad at all, and I actually liked his character a lot.

Sedai 03-31-15 02:36 PM

I thought Guardians was decent, but also probably one of the most over-hyped flicks in recent memory for me. I would place it somewhere in the middle of the comic book movie pack, with stuff like The Dark Knight, Avengers and Winter Soldier being a tier above it, and much better, less cheesy and melodramatic films overall. IMO, of course.

Meanwhile - good work on the review!

Captain Spaulding 03-31-15 03:04 PM

I feel like one of the only people on the planet who still hasn't seen Guardians of the Galaxy. I had similar misgivings, but it sounds like the film manages to inject some much needed fun and humor into a genre that has started taking itself too seriously. Nice review, Optimus. :)

Sedai 03-31-15 03:31 PM

It is pretty fun and entertaining, so definitely give it a watch if you haven't seen it.

Optimus 03-31-15 04:09 PM

You should check it out Spaulding. It's so much fun and I'd love to hear your opinion.

Optimus 04-01-15 12:04 PM

http://i68.tinypic.com/1z36q36.jpg

The Equalizer
Directed By: Antoine Fuqua
. Could even stretch to a 4.

http://img.pixady.com/2015/04/410227_image.jpg

I have always been a huge fan of Denzel Washington. He's one of my favourite actors around at the moment and I don't think he's ever done a movie I didn't enjoy. Flight, Training Day, American Gangster, and Man On Fire are some of my favourite movies of his. And I've been meaning to catch his latest movie The Equalizer for so time now. Well finally last night I managed to get my hands on it, and yet again Denzel Washington doesn't disappoint. These are the types of movies where Denzel Washington really shines. Violent, brutal, and crazy is a role he nails to perfection. The guy is 60 years of age and yet he's still a badass, he's still cool, and he's still on top of his game.

http://img.pixady.com/2015/04/263561_image.jpg

Movie Trivia: The script originally has no back story about Robert, so Denzel Washington contributed much to the character's background and back story including Robert having obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). In addition to his daily physical and fight training before filming, Washington met and interviewed several real-life OCD people as to gain insights of how to play that disorder correctly.

Teri was originally written for an older actress, but Chloë Grace Moretz impressed the director so much, he made the role younger.
In some ways The Equailzer reminded me of Man On Fire. Denzel Washington's character is a nice guy with a nice nature. He's friendly and caring but piss him off and he's one crazy son of a bitch, he's dangerous, he's maniac who will brutally kill you and take you down. He's a former black op's living the quite life. He seems to have a bad case of OCD, and he befriends the unlikeliest of people ( a young prostitute). The Equailzer not only offers some great action and violence, but it's also offers a very interesting character. An interesting story, and a damn fine performance from Denzel. If I had to criticise this movie for anything then it would be it's running time. The movie is over 2 hours long and at times the movie seems to drag out, some scenes feel a little repetitive and played out. But other than that there's nothing really I can say other than i really enjoyed this movie.

http://img.pixady.com/2015/04/546761_image.jpg

Movie Trivia: The film languished in development hell for several years before it finally began. It was originally developed by the Weinstein brothers in 2005. They brought in novelists Michael Connelly and Terill Lee to write the first script with Paul McGuigan to direct. With no progress, in 2010, the rights were then sold to Mace Neufeld and Escape Artists'. Paul Haggis was brought in to write another draft with Russell Crowe to play Robert. However other project commitments resulted in both men dropping out before Denzel Washington saw the script and expressed interest in playing Robert.

Denzel Washington's earring holes were digitally edited out for close ups. By the end of the movie when he's sitting in the dark talking to Pushkin, you can see the earring hole in his left earlobe.
Overall The Equalizer is a good movie. It has some great action, a good story, and Denzel Washington doing what he does best..... Being a badass. I would recommend this movie if you haven't yet seen it.

Sedai 04-01-15 12:05 PM

Well done, once again. Review has been tagged for the site system. :)

Optimus 04-01-15 02:15 PM

Thanks Sed.

cricket 04-02-15 08:10 PM

I've heard good things about The Equalizer. I've almost watched it a couple times, but I hated the trailer. I'll check it out next time. I never hear anyone mention Safe House; I thought that was a pretty good Denzel/action movie.

Optimus 04-03-15 06:30 AM

I've just looked over your favourite movies list from a while ago Cricket and you like a lot of movies I like. Ime pretty sure you would enjoy The Equalizer.

Captain Spaulding 04-05-15 02:30 AM

Another good review, Optimus: short, straightforward, easy to read. I've seen The Equalizer, but I found it pretty average. In a year or two, I doubt I'll be able differentiate it from any of the other action thrillers Denzel has starred in lately.

Optimus 04-05-15 06:03 AM

Thanks Spaulding. Ime a sucker for a good Denzel Washington movie so I really enjoyed The Equalizer.

The Sci-Fi Slob 04-05-15 07:16 AM

Nice review. I liked The Equalizer too, it does exactly what it says on the tin.

Optimus 04-07-15 08:03 PM

http://i64.tinypic.com/zv1t7s.jpg

Fast And Furious 7
Directed By: James Wan

http://img.pixady.com/2015/04/136205_image.jpg

The Fast And Furious franchise has come a long way from when it all began in 2001. The local street races that where robbing dvd's of the back of a trailer are now fully blown action stars that make Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger look like child's play. Fast and Furious has gone crazier and crazier with each movie and the 7th movie in the series is bigger and crazier than anything I've ever seen. There was times I was hiding behind my hands cringing at the ridiculous stunts, and dialogue that I found myself just laughing at. Everything from cars parachuting out of a plane, to cars jumping out of skyscrapers and landing in other skyscrapers are just some of the crazy moments that this action packed blockbuster delivers. The problem with these movies are as much as there daft, as much as there cringey , and as much as there totally over the top, there just so damn fun.

http://img.pixady.com/2015/04/734905_image.jpg

Movie Trivia: Body doubles, stunt doubles, and CGI were used to complete the film following Paul Walker's death. Walker's brothers Caleb Walker and Cody Walker were among the doubles, and also provided voice over for the character Brian O'Conner.

Denzel Washington turned down a role in this film. Universal Studios were in search for a big star to play a minor role in this film and then play a larger role in the next film. Kurt Russell was later cast in the role. Taylor Lautner and Halle Berry were also considered for roles in this film, and Indian actress Deepika Padukone had to pass on a role due to scheduling conflicts.
This movie is probably the best movie in the Fast And Furious franchise. There are some really cool fight scenes, some great car racing, and some really hot girls. The whole movie is action packed from the beginning till the end, and the inclusion of Kurt Russell and Jason Statham was a really nice touch. Sure, these movies are starting to feel a little stretched out now. And the story does feel a little repetitive and worn out, but these movies are just so damn cool and fun that I just can't stop watching. I'd also like to mention the tribute scene for Paul Walker at the end of the movie. It was a really nice touch and these movies won't be the same without him.

http://img.pixady.com/2015/04/979969_image.jpg

Movie Trivia: Jason Statham was originally offered the lead antagonist role of Owen Shaw in Fast & Furious 6 (played by Luke Evans) but due to commitments of his films Parker and Wild Card, he could not take part. Statham and Vin Diesel wanted to work together for some time, so Diesel in his producing capacity had him penciled for this film.

Dwayne Johnson went through seven months of strict dieting and a heavily strength-emphasized workout plan for the role of Luke Hobbs.

The first sequel in the franchise to take place after The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (2006).

Overall Fast And Furious is a fun fuelled ride of craziness. It's bigger and better than any of the other movies in the series, and with this being the seventh movie in the franchise i'd call that a pretty good achievement. All I can say is bring on Fast And Furious 8.

Optimus 04-09-15 04:56 AM

Just a couple of movies I've watched over the Easter holidays.

Pacific Rim

This Means War

The Inbetweeners Movie 2

http://img.pixady.com/2015/04/583966_image.jpg
Thor: The Dark World

Captain Spaulding 04-10-15 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Optimus (Post 1282268)
The problem with these movies are as much as there daft
:yup:
as much as there cringey
and as much as there totally over the top
they're just so damn fun.
:nope:

That was my honeykid impression.

I've never been a fan of the Fast and Furious movies. The more ridiculous they've gotten, the less I've liked them. :up: for the review, though.

Fabulous 04-10-15 03:05 PM

I hope to see Furious 7 soon. I'm a massive fan of the series. Thanks for your review.

Optimus 04-10-15 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Fabulous (Post 1284305)
I hope to see Furious 7 soon. I'm a massive fan of the series. Thanks for your review.
If your a fan of the franchise then you will love the latest entry.

Optimus 04-11-15 03:07 PM

http://i67.tinypic.com/6egs9v.jpg

Showgirls
Directed By: Paul Verhoeven

http://i63.tinypic.com/11bjck4.jpg

Well last night after much discussion with my girlfriend we finally decided to watch Showgirls. Yep, that's right... Showgirls. One of the strangest, funniest, and stupidest movies I've ever seen was granted a re-watch ( I hate those nights where my girlfriend gets to pick the movie). Anyway, if you have never seen Show Girls before i would best describe it as Step Up / Porn. It's a movie full of boobs and ass, and that's actually not a exaggeration. The cast spend more time with there clothes off than they do with them on. Which being a lad isn't really a bad thing, because if ime honest it's the only reason I would recommend this movie to anyone. It's full of naked girls, lesbian action, and wild sex scenes. And yet my girlfriend enjoyed this movie. Don't ask me why because I really couldn't tell you. Because apart from what I mentioned above this movie has nothing else going for it. If you asked me what's it's actually about I couldn't even tell you. All I know is -- it sucks.

http://i67.tinypic.com/sybm9s.jpg

Movie Trivia: Jenny McCarthy auditioned for the lead and was very much in the running until it was discovered that she couldn't dance.

As of 2009, Showgirls is the highest grossing NC-17 of all time (US $20,302,961) and the only NC-17 film to ever be given wide distribution (released in 1,388 theaters).

The only time actresses complained that they felt uncomfortable was during the scenes with the monkeys, who constantly stared at their bare breasts.

Elizabeth Berkley was paid only $100,000 for playing the lead in the film. When a special V.I.P. edition boxed set was released she requested $2,500 to be interviewed. They declined.
I enjoy some of Paul Verhoeven's movies. Starship Troopers is great, Total Recall is a good movie, and Robocop is awesome - so I was very surprised when I found out he's behind this pile of crap. I really don't know what he was try to achieve here. Unless he wanted to make something for his own home pleasure. Because seriously, this movie is one step away from being a full on porno. The sex scene at the end of the movie is one of the silliest and stupidest things I've ever seen. The acting is terrible, and some of the scenes and dialogue is beyond the word cheesy. The whole movie is just utter crap and the only positive thing I can ever write is .... Boobs.

http://i67.tinypic.com/be5ulz.jpg

Movie Trivia: When the film swept The 16th Annual RAZZIE Awards, Paul Verhoeven turned up in person to accept Worst Director and Worst Picture. He was the first director to ever turn up to collect the Award.

Charlize Theron auditioned for the role of Nomi Malone.

Angelina Jolie auditioned for the role of Cristal Connors.
Overall Show Girls is a terrible movie with no real story. It's full of stupid scenes that make zero sense, and the movie is carried by naked bodies and bad acting. There is even a scene where a man puts his hand down a girls knickers to see if she's lying about a period <<< movie summed up right there.

The Sci-Fi Slob 04-11-15 03:09 PM

You were very generous with your rating.:D

honeykid 04-11-15 03:17 PM

C'mon. Showgirls is great fun. Even just for the boobs it deserves a higher rating than that. :D

Optimus 04-11-15 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by The Sci-Fi Slob (Post 1285157)
You were very generous with your rating.:D
Really. As HK mentioned the boobs deserve a little rating.

mark f 04-11-15 03:34 PM

About three popcorns higher - I'm with your girlfriend on this. All About Eve camped up for the Las Vegas T&A set. :)

Optimus 04-11-15 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by mark f (Post 1285190)
About three popcorns higher - I'm with your girlfriend on this. All About Eve camped up for the Las Vegas T&A set. :)
My girlfriend enjoys White Chicks, all the Saw films, and loves the remake of A Nightmare On Elm Street, so I doubt your with her :).

mark f 04-11-15 04:01 PM

Well, you are! :)

Optimus 04-12-15 08:04 PM

I've just finished watching Olympus Has Fallen so I'll try post a review some time tomorrow.

honeykid 04-13-15 12:07 PM

Why? :p:D

MovieMeditation 04-13-15 12:39 PM

I have not seen Showgirls. But I like Paul Verhoeven for the most part...

Good review, though I'm not really dying to see it now. :D

Optimus 04-13-15 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by MovieMeditation (Post 1287118)
I have not seen Showgirls. But I like Paul Verhoeven for the most part...

Good review, though I'm not really dying to see it now. :D
Thanks mate. It's pretty much sucks so I wouldn't bother.

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 1287096)
Why? :p:D
Errmmm, because it's badass.

honeykid 04-13-15 04:43 PM

Really? I thought it was White House Down that was badass?

cricket 04-13-15 10:58 PM

Showgirls is certainly a bad movie but very watchable.

Optimus 04-15-15 06:31 AM

http://i63.tinypic.com/whjoko.jpg

The Fast And Furious
Directed By: Rob Cohen

http://img.pixady.com/2015/04/259830_image.jpg

After watching Fast And Furious 7 last week I decided to take a long trip back to where these movies all began. I can't believe there is actually 7 movies in this franchise now. It really shows just how popular some of the cast are, and how strong of an audience its gathered over the years. Anyway, Fast And Furious hasn't always been as crazy, and as over the top to the extent it is now. No. There was a time when Vin Diesel weren't smashing people through a wall, and a time where Paul Walker weren't running up trucks that are falling from cliffs. There was a time when both these characters seemed normal, a time before they turned into these action stars, and a time when the franchise was actually about cars.

http://img.pixady.com/2015/04/793453_image.jpg

Movie Trivia: Vin Diesel accidentally broke a stuntman's nose.

Neither Michelle Rodriguez nor Jordana Brewster had driver's licenses or even learner's permits before production of the film.

Paul Walker and Matt Schulze carefully choreographed the fight scene outside the grocery store, but when it came time to shoot, it didn't feel right. In the end they just improvised.

Mark Wahlberg, Christian Bale and Eminem were all considered for the part of Brian O'Connor before Paul Walker was cast.
Looking back at the first movie now I think I enjoyed it a lot more. I'd forgotten a lot about this movie and it was nice to see how The Expendables actually met. To be honest, I was also surprised with the performances in this movie too. Now, ime not saying Paul Walker and Vin Diesel deserved an award for there performances or anything. But compared to what these movies have become...the first movie was actually a little more about the characters, and we actually got a little something from them rather than them blowing stuff up. I still think this movie suffers with it's weak story. And it feels a little far fetched that the police would waste all that time, money and resources on a few street races robbing DVD players. ( haha, that's what feels far fetched it a FF movie). I always just got the impression that the story was just thrown in to add a little something to the street racing. But, it's still entertaining and it's still fun so who cares.

http://img.pixady.com/2015/04/776832_image.jpg

Movie Trivia: During the Race Wars, real race cars with their real drivers came to participate in the huge scene.

Film-makers asked owners of houses in backgrounds to re-paint their houses with more muted colors to show off the colorful cars.

Dominic's RX-7 originally had a roll cage. It was removed to accommodate Vin Diesel's physique.

Natalie Portman, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Kirsten Dunst, Bijou Phillips and Jessica Biel auditioned for the role of Mia.
Overall Fast And Furious isn't my favourite movie in the franchise but it's still a good movie. I enjoyed it a lot more this time than I did a couple of years ago. Probably due to the fact that it's where these movies all began. It was nice to see where it all started and where it's at now. And it's been one crazy ride.

MovieMeditation 04-15-15 06:47 AM

Good review, Optimus! I, too, really enjoyed my rewatch of the first film and I found it a lot better than I remembered.

Are you gonna go through all of them now?

Optimus 04-15-15 06:52 AM

I don't know about all of them because I hated the second, and the fourth movie.

MovieMeditation 04-15-15 07:43 AM

But your opinion might have changed by now. :p

But yeah, the second is not the best. Fourth is great for fans, in some ways, but it is also very clouded and messy.

Optimus 04-15-15 09:45 AM

I really like Tokyo Drift, Fast Five and Number 6, but I might re-watch them all and give you my opinion.

MovieMeditation 04-15-15 09:50 AM

Surprised you really like Tokyo Drift! Anyways yeah, watch them, review them, and then you don't have to revisit the bad ones anytime soon. :D

I thought it was a lot of fun to watch them all almost back-to-back like I did a while ago. Makes you look at the series in a whole other way. At least to som extent.

Anyways, I will look forward to reviews of whatever you choose to watch! ;)

gbgoodies 04-15-15 03:36 PM

I've seen all of the Fast And Furious movies, (except the new movie), but they all seem to blend together for me. I remember some of the driving scenes were very exciting, but I don't remember much about the actual stories. :shrug:

Sedai 04-15-15 03:36 PM

Thanks for the review, Op!

Optimus 04-15-15 05:03 PM

http://i64.tinypic.com/2mmz4mw.jpg

2 Fast 2 Furious
Directed By: John Singleton

http://img.pixady.com/2015/04/667044_image.jpg

The first time I seen this movie it sucked. But Movie Meditation wants my opinion on a re-watch and the franchise as a whole and I can now fairly say... This movie still sucks. In my opinion this is by far the weakest entry in the Fast And Furious series. It's the one movie in the whole franchise I like to pretend doesn't exist and it's a movie I'll never be watching any time again. I've got so much hate for this movie that I could spend the next hour writing nothing but negative comments. I honestly can't think of a single thing I actually like about this movie... Well apart from Eva Mendes of course, she's hot. Well in some scenes anyway.

http://img.pixady.com/2015/04/700723_image.jpg

Movie Trivia: The first car you see Paul Walker drive in the movie, is in fact his own racing car in real life. He has a love for street racing. Also he personally handpicked all of the racing cars in the movie.

Universal Studios had two different scripts commissioned. The first script featured Vin Diesel's character while the second script did not in case he decided not to return.

To keep the feel of the movie interesting, Director John Singleton often encouraged the actors to improvise during filming. Many of the humorous moments on screen are ad libbed.
2 Fast 2 Furious done it all wrong on so many levels. Everything that made the first movie cool and stylish is completely gone here. They tryed so hard to top the first movie that they completely over done everything. The bad soundtracks, the over the top street races, and the cheesy lines and quotes are just to much here. O'Connell (Walker) seemed to have a personality transplant. Roman Pearce ( Tyrese Gibson) and Tej Parker ( Ludacris) I hate in this movie. They try to be cool, they try to be funny, and they try to act, and it's completely cringe worthy and laughable, which is strange because I love them in the later films. This movie suffers from trying to be something it's not. It's has a really bad story, a really bad villain, and it truly misses Dom ( Vin Diesel ).

http://img.pixady.com/2015/04/155747_image.jpg

Movie Trivia: To keep the feel of the movie interesting, Director John Singleton often encouraged the actors to improvise during filming. Many of the humorous moments on screen are ad libbed.

When Brian wins the first race, he powerslides toward the crowd. Paul Walker actually performed this stunt himself, among many other in this film and the prequel, as he is a big fan of street race and a good driver.

While this movie was filming on one side of Cape Florida State Park on Key Biscayne, Bad Boys II (2003) was filming scenes on the other side of the park.
Overall a re-watch has only made my hate for this movie worse. I honestly have nothing positive I can say about this film, and I forgot just how bad this film really was. It's full of bad characters, bad dialogue and truly stupid races scenes. I love Paul Walker and I love his character Brian, but this was truly the worst performances of his career and he seemed completely out of character compared to the other movie .

Fabulous 04-15-15 06:07 PM

I have nothing but love for the F&F franchise.

MovieMeditation 04-15-15 08:14 PM

I was not as harsh as you with 2F2F, but then again I didn't hate it just as much as you. I do think that it's probably the entry with most problems in the entire franchise, and despite a generous rating I did bash the film for a whole lot in my diary thread, mainly that it was poorly directed and executed and felt like an overbloated rap music video.

But yeah, I guess it must be a combination of accepting mindless entertainment (even though it's truly hard with this one) and the fact that the film does have some nostagia value to me in some way.

Lastly, I won't ever try to convince you it's good. The fact that I personally can watch it and don't hate myself too much, doesn't change the fact that it's overall a bad film and most of the points people make towards it are mostly true.

Fabulous 04-15-15 09:41 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msBbeo0SKHI

Optimus 04-16-15 03:05 AM

Thanks guys. I think ime gonna re-watch Tokoyo Drift at so point today. So I should have a review up later.

Optimus 04-16-15 09:24 AM

http://i65.tinypic.com/6izivs.jpg

Fast And Furious: Tokyo Drift
Directed By: Justin Lin

http://i68.tinypic.com/1256j9u.jpg

Okay, I'll admit that this Fast And Furious movie sort of sucks. Lucas Black is a terrible actor and his performance is atrocious in this movie. I'll also admit that the whole story is pretty much laughable with most of the cast acting out as high school students who look like there 30. I'll also admit that this movie is cheesy as hell with some of the worst dialogue ever. But the real problem is.... I love it. I love that this movie was different from the previous 2 films. I love how they added a new approach to the street racing (Drifting), and I love how they changed location to Tokyo. But the main thing I love, and the thing that carries the movie for me is Sung Kang (Han). The guy is do damn likeable, and he's one of my favourite characters in the whole Fast And Furious franchise.

http://i63.tinypic.com/nmcjut.jpg

Movie Trivia: After poor test screenings, Universal Pictures asked Vin Diesel to make a cameo appearance to boost its box-office potential. Diesel agreed to appear if Universal would relinquish the rights to the "Riddick" franchise to him. Diesel was then able to make Riddick (2013) independently.

The drifting in the movie was not CGI; it was performed by professional drivers. As reported in a recent Sport Compact Car, Rhys Millen, his father Rod, and a handful of other famous rally and drift racers consistently performed amazing drift sequences for the movie.

The only Fast and the Furious film not to star Paul Walker.
Tokyo Drift sticks to racing a lot more than any of the other Fast And Furious movies. There are some very cool race scenes through the streets of Tokyo, and they really do capture some of the beauty of the city. There is one particular scene in which there is a chase. And the car's drift right through a very busy street full of pedestrians in slow motion. This scene is done in style and looks great. The majority of the movie is done in style. Everything from the cars, girls, and soundtracks just add coolness to the movie. Now I know this movie isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it's certainly mine.

http://i64.tinypic.com/2rw1apc.jpg

Movie Trivia: Paul Walker wasn't asked to return as the studio felt he was too old. The first draft of the script featured the return of Vin Diesel's character Domonic Torreto.

Han's VeilSide RX-7 driven by Han was a special show car crowned "Best of Show 2005" at Tokyo Auto Salon. It was reportedly worth $150,000; the custom leather interior alone cost $20,000. Universal bought the car for $50,000, then repainted the inside and outside.

600 Asian extras were used during the LA filming days for the street scenes.

The first film in the "Fast & Furious" franchise to have a full opening credits sequence.
Overall Fast And Furious Tokyo Drift is a real guilty pleasure of mine. Some of you may have even noticed it made my top 100 favourites, so I am pretty fond of it. In my opinion it's one of the better movies from the franchise, and also one of the coolest.

Fabulous 04-16-15 11:48 AM

A lot of people say it was one of the weakest in the series, but I thought it was one of the best.

Optimus 04-16-15 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Fabulous (Post 1289779)
A lot of people say it was one of the weakest in the series, but I thought it was one of the best.
Glad to see someone else enjoyed it. What did you particular like.

MovieMeditation 04-16-15 06:53 PM

I got myself to move the mouse to the 'thumbs up' icon, but I wasn't totally glad doing it. :D

Honestly though, I can more or less enjoy this entry in the vein of how I did the second, but both are kind of "surfing the same wave". They fall into the same kind of clichés, the same kind of problems and bears the same stupid and stilted dialogue. I also miss the main characters from the franchise, but thankfully Han is there to save it. And even before he became "part of the team", he was definitely also my favourite thing in this film.

What does seperate this from the second film though, is that it's mostly very well directed, and the racing scenes are done almost in top notch style. The story is kind of weak though, many characters are flat or stereotypical, but I guess you can't criticize the story because it's never a shining moment in any F&F-film. I love a few scenes here and there, but overall it pretty much lands in the same category as the second, for me. I can only just enjoy it enough for it to be worth my time, but it's brainless entertainment and if the action and cars weren't so dominate and fun, I wouldn't even care for them one bit.

Lasty, it's funny... People want more racing in these movies, and the entry which consists of the most racing, is also the one which is universally hated... Guess they went the right direction after all, huh? :D

Fabulous 04-16-15 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Optimus (Post 1289792)
Glad to see someone else enjoyed it. What did you particular like.
The nice change of scenery with a fresh cast felt nice. I also think the main point of the franchise, street racing, was really well done compared to the 2nd and 4th ones.

Optimus 04-27-15 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Fabulous (Post 1290024)
The nice change of scenery with a fresh cast felt nice. I also think the main point of the franchise, street racing, was really well done compared to the 2nd and 4th ones.
I agree. I enjoyed the street racing aspect in this movie and some of the cars where pretty awesome.

Optimus 06-16-15 09:14 AM

http://i67.tinypic.com/2ppbg5s.jpg

Jurassic World
Directed By: Colin Trevorrow

http://img.pixady.com/2015/06/176435_image.jpg

The Story - Jurassic World feels like a more updated version of the 1992 Jurassic Park. Now i know this movie is a sequel of sorts, but you cant help but feel like you have seen it all before. The children aspect of the story is pretty similar, the ending is pretty similar, and there is a scene of a dying Dinosaur out in the field which felt like more of the same. Now dont get me wrong, ime not saying this is a bad thing because Jurassic Park is one of my favourite movies out there, so taking a few ideas is all good. But what i am saying is that i thought this movie was more of a reboot than a sequel. I mean, you could probably start a whole new trilogy of the back of Jurassic World.

http://img.pixady.com/2015/06/837573_image.jpg

The Cast - are all great. Chris Pratt brings some humour to the film which was a nice touch. His relationship with the velociraptors was also a nice spin on the movie aswell. Bryce Dallas Howard was also a pretty interesting character, and damn fu***** hot :). To be honest the whole cast where great, and a big improvemt on the other Jurassic Park movies. Because as much as a love the other movies in the franchise (minus number 3) - ive always felt the cast where pretty dull and very wooden. So it was nice to see some up beat characters in Jurassic World.

Movie Trivia: The Jeep that was repaired by Zach and Gray is numbered "29", which is exactly the same number as the tourist Jeep that John Hammond rode in the beginning of Jurassic Park (1993).

Jeff Goldblum's character Dr. Ian Malcolm can be spotted on the cover of a book that is read by Zara (Katie McGrath) on the monorail ride in to the park. A copy of the same book is later shown on Lowery's (Jake Johnson's) desk in the control room when he is first introduced.

This is the first film in the series not to feature any appearance by Sam Neill, Laura Dern or Jeff Goldblum. This was a creative decision by Colin Trevorrow: "I know a lot of fans want to see the original characters back. They're iconic. But I respect those actors too much to shoehorn them into this story for my own sentimental reasons. Jurassic Park isn't about the bad luck of three people who keep getting thrown into the same situation. The only reason they'd go back to that island is if the screenwriters contrived a reason for them to go."
Movie Highlight - My movie highlight has to be when we arrive at the park. You really get the feeling like your along for the ride. And from the moment the huge gates opens and the soundtrack kicks in - your childhood comes rushing back. Its such a great scene and really kicks starts the excitement. The park looks fantastic and they really capture the theme park enviroment brilliantly. Everything from the safari tour, to the feeding time at the Mosasaurus tank looks amazing.

http://img.pixady.com/2015/06/843677_image.jpg

Things i liked:

-Again the park looked incredible.

- The Indominus Rex was great. I really loved the mystery surrounding the Dinosaur. I loved how brutal it was and i liked how we never really knew about how it was made, or from what it was made of until near the end of the movie.

- The Ending was awesome. I really loved the final showdown with the T-Rex and The Indominus Rex. It was so intense and exciting and it was great seeing these Dinosaurs battling it out.

- Refferences to Jurassic Park was also a really nice touch.

Overall- Jurassic World was fantastic. Its easily my favourite Jurassic Park movie and it deserves every bit of praise its receiving. Its exciting, intense, and its as entertining as you can get. Really great movie.

False Writer 06-16-15 01:24 PM

Nice review Optimus! It's awesome that you enjoyed it so much. I enjoyed it as well, although I only rated it 3.5 it was still surprisingly good.

Optimus 06-16-15 03:44 PM

Thanks mate.

MovieMeditation 06-16-15 03:48 PM

Good review, Optimus! Glad you liked the film too, though I also rated it 3.5 as FW did. But actually, I feel like it holds a personal rating of 4/5 in my head. :p

Can't wait to see it again, it was a great experience as you said, with the park being the "main attraction" of the film. It was such a fun time to be there (again), in this modernized dino-world. :D

Optimus 06-16-15 05:07 PM

Thanks Movie Med. ime gonna read your review now.

Optimus 06-17-15 09:17 AM

http://i63.tinypic.com/2eqfkmx.jpg

Get Hard
Directed By: Etan Cohen

http://img.pixady.com/2015/06/452364_image.jpg

The Story - The story is pretty much as stupid and as daft as it looks from the trailer. But coming from a Will Farell movie i expected that. What i didnt expect was this movie to suck as much as it did. I thought the story was very weak and the comedy was awful. I love Will Farrel, and even tho his movies are silly i still enjoy them. Elf, Step Brothers, and Old School are great. There daft but there still very funny and thats what i expected from Get Hard, but sadly that wasnt the case.

http://img.pixady.com/2015/06/285515_image.jpg

The Cast - The Cast where very dissapointing if ime totally honest. There was so much potential with Will Farrel and Kevin Hart in a movie together and they pretty much blew it with Get Hard. Both men are very funny, especially Kevin Hart, he's great. But theres nothing funny about Get Hard fot them to shine. Bad jokes, bad chemistry, and just a bad film if ime honest.

Movie Trivia: "Will Ferrell stayed in character for all interviews and press releases for Get Hard
Hart sent out a notice on social media that he would give away tickets to see this film at the 5.30 pm showing in Greenville, South Carolina. Due to demand he extended the offer to two more showings and he appeared with the fans to express his thanks.

Kevin Hart plays the character Darnell, which is also Kevin Hart's real middle name.

There's an 11 inch height difference between Will Ferrell and co star Kevin Hart.

This movie is filmed in New Orleans at a golf course, a mansion in Metairie, a prison, and the Ninth Ward."
Movie Highlight - if i had to pick a scene that i enjoyed or a scene where i did crack a smile, then i'd have to go with ghetto Farrel. There is a scene where Will Farrel joins a black gang and they nickname him Mayo. He ends up meeting a black girl and he ends up about to do a hit on someone. Its a pretty funny scene and probably the funniest moment in the film.

http://img.pixady.com/2015/06/321163_image.jpg

Things i Disliked:

- Will Farrel and Kevin Hart didnt work well together. No comedy chemistry and just a total mis-match.

- No real humour. Everything joke is about prison rape.

- Will Farrel playing the same character we have seen numerous times, yet this time it feels annoying.

- The Film never seems to go anywhere. Its one silly gag after another and the film really struggles to find its feet.

Overall- I wouldnt recommend this movie to anyone. Its complete rubbish that even Will Farrel and Kevin Hard cant save it.

Sedai 06-17-15 04:50 PM

After reading your review of JW, I almost want to see it now...

Almost... ;)

Well done reviews, as usual!

Optimus 06-17-15 06:06 PM

Thanks Sed. Also, please watch Jurassic World, you may be surprised.

cricket 06-17-15 08:31 PM

I know it's probably crap, but I still want to see Get Hard. I just like comedy like that.

Good job Optimus!

Optimus 06-18-15 09:28 AM

Road House
Directed By: Rowdy Herrington

http://img.pixady.com/2015/06/716875_image.jpg

The Story
The Story is pretty weak, yet it works so well. Maybe the movie is just so damn cool that the plot doesn't even really matter. Or maybe the fight scenes, or the cheesy dialogue carry the movie, i dont know, but it works. The movie flows really nicely and its so damn enjoyable. I think ive seen Road House atleast 10 times and it never gets old. Its so much fun and so entertaining that its hard not to enjoy it. Cool fight scenes, hot girls, cheesy soundtracks and bad one liners is what we all love about old school action movies..... Right?.

http://img.pixady.com/2015/06/380577_image.jpg

Movie Trivia: According to Kelly Lynch, whenever Bill Murray sees her sex scene with Patrick Swayze on television, he calls her husband, Mitch Glazer, to tease him about it.

At one point, Patrick Swayze was approached to star in the film Predator 2 (1990) but was unable to, because he was injured during the filming of this movie.

The song "These Arms of Mine" by Otis Redding is playing during the love scene with Patrick Swayze and Kelly Lynch. It was also the song playing in Dirty Dancing (1987) during the love scene between Swayze and Jennifer Grey.

The band playing at the start of the movie is Cruzados. After the band disbanded, lead singer Tito Larriva formed the band Tito & Tarantula, which is the band that plays at the Titty Twister in the movie From Dusk Till Dawn(1996).
The Cast
The cast are all great but its Patrick Swayze who steals the show. His character John Dalton is such a badass and so damn cool, and its a role that Swayze nails perfectly. Swayze was one of those people that just carried them selfs really well. Every role he played - he played with style. The guy defined the word cool and this movie showcases exactly what i mean.

http://img.pixady.com/2015/06/391068_image.jpg

Movie Highlight
My movie highlight has got to be when Dalton (Swayze) first starts his job at the club. No one knows who he is or what hes capable of doing and he really shakes things up and transforms the club from a dingey s*** hole into a nice place. He gets rid of the trash and people see just how much of a badass he really is.

Things i Like:
- The Bar fights are very cool. Bottles getting smashed, tables getting broken, and asses getting kicked is exactly what we wanna see.

- As i mentioned above Patrick Swayzee is cool. Dalton is such a likeable character and great to watch.

- Sam Elliot is another very cool character. And its great when him and Swayze tear things up together.

Verdict
Road House is awesome. Great fights, great action, hot girls, and very cool characters. Its a shame we dont see movies like this anymore. Roadhouse is a classic :).

Optimus 06-18-15 05:08 PM

Warrior
Directed By: Gavin O'Connor

http://img.pixady.com/2015/06/453992_image.jpg

The Story
Warrior is best described as a sports drama that certainly packs a punch. Its such a raw and powerful movie full of intense and emotional scenes that really capture the audience. One minute you will be cheering and the next you will be wiping away the tears. Okay, the story is kind of cliched, but its the characters and performances that really drive this movie. If your a fight fan then you will certainly love the fight scenes throughout the film. And if your not a fight fan then the performances and characters will be enough for you to sit and still enjoy one of the best movies of 2011.

http://img.pixady.com/2015/06/293482_image.jpg

The Cast
The cast and performances in Warrior are what make this movie so special. Tom Hardy's performace is sensational and it showcases why he's one of the best actors around today. Joel Edgerton is also great, but its Nick Nolte who steals the show for me. His performances is so touching and sad that it really tugged on my heart strings. He put everything into this performance and it really is one of his finest performances as an actor.

http://img.pixady.com/2015/06/557288_image.jpg

Movie Trivia: Instead of going to his hotel after his flight from England, Tom Hardy appeared at director Gavin O'Connor's door at midnight the evening before his audition. The pair ended up living together for five days.

When the announcer is quoting Koba's credentials, he states that he is an Olympic Gold medalist in wrestling. Kurt Angle, the actor playing Koba, won a gold medal in the 1996 Olympics in the 220lbs/100 kg weight class for freestyle wrestling. He was also a world champion in the same style and weight class in 1995.

The role of Paddy was written for Nick Nolte by Anthony Tambakis and Gavin O'Connor, who are neighbors with the actor in Malibu. The studio was resistant to casting Nolte, but the writers held firm and Nolte's portrayal has won him universal critical praise.

On the first day of shooting, the crew gave Nick Nolte a standing ovation after the first take of a scene shot at a local diner. The scene was later cut but appears as a DVD extra.
My Movie Highlight
The Highlight of this movie for me is the hotel room scene. Tommy (Hardy) and Paddy (Nolte) share one of the most powerful movie scenes ive seen in such a long time. Its so gripping and emotional and one of the best scenes in the movie. It showcases two fantastic performances and the scene really touched me.

Things I Liked
- The ending is very well done. Its very predictable, but still very satisfying.

- The cast are all fantastic.

- The fight scenes are great and look spot on

- The story is gripping and interesting from the very start. And with a running time of over 2 hours it never gets dull.

Verdict
Warrior is a truly great movie with a fantastic cast, great performances, and emotional story. Its one of the best movies from 2011 and one of my all time favourites.

Optimus 06-23-15 09:18 AM

The LEGO Movie
Directed By: Phil Lord, Christoper Miller

http://img.pixady.com/2015/06/900388_image.jpg

The Story
The Lego Movie has got to be one of the craziest movies ive ever seen. The story, the characters, the whole look and feel of the movie is just complete and utter madness, and i love it. Its a movie full of humour, loveable characters, and action madness that's fun for all agers. Seriously, this movie is so much fun that there is a little something for everyone - including us adults. The movie looks good, feels good, and will leave you with a huge smile on your face.

http://img.pixady.com/2015/06/894639_image.jpg

The Characters
Behind all the madness Lego Movie features some very interesting and imaginitive characters. Chris Pratt is the voice behind the very loveable and hillarious Emmet. Liam Neeson is the voice behind Good Cop, and we also have Will Farrel, Morgan Freeman and Elizabeth Banks. But its Will Arnett's Batman who's the star of the movie. From the moment we meet Batman he's so much fun. Everything from his voice to his atitude is hilliarious. He's the best portrayal of Batman ive ever seen... so move over Ben Affleck theres a new Bat in town.

http://img.pixady.com/2015/06/263138_image.jpg
Movie Trivia: Vitruvius was a Roman author and architect in the 1st century BC, best known for his multi-volume work entitled De Architectura. Etymologically, the word architect derives from Greek words meaning 'master' and 'builder'.

With the exception of unique pieces for the characters in the film (i.e: President Business's hair and evil helmet) every Lego piece in the movie actually exists and can be used in sets.

Lord Business is president of Octan, a fictional gas station brand that first appeared in 1992 and has since been featured in numerous Lego sets.

Movie Highlight
The ending of this movie has got to be my movie highlight, because boyond all the madness of Lego Movie theres a heart. The ending is up there with Pixar if where talking heart and warmth and Lego Movie delivers just that.

Things I Liked:
- I love how imaginitive the whole movie is. The city's, the characters, the vehicles, the colours, the whole movie looks fantastic.

- Batman is easily my favourite character.

- Lego Movie features my now favourite movie soundtrack.

Verdict
If you want fun then look no further because you will not find a movie more fun than Lego Movie. Its complete bonkers, its funny, and its just complete madness from the start till the finish.

cricket 06-23-15 09:46 PM

I like your ratings for Road House and Warrior:cool:

Optimus 06-24-15 05:05 AM

Thanks cricket. And thanks for the Rep.