Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   25 More Films Added To U.S. National Film Registry (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=24547)

honeykid 12-28-10 08:01 PM

25 More Films Added To U.S. National Film Registry

A range of movies from comedy "Airplane!" to George Lucas' "The Empire Strikes Back" and 1906 short film "A Trip Down Market Street" were named to the U.S. National Film Registry on Tuesday, ensuring their preservation for future generations.

Among others are horror film "The Exorcist," political drama "All the President's Men," 1959 African-American cultural exploration "Cry of Jazz" and director John Huston's war documentary "Let There Be Light," which was banned in the U.S. for 35 years.

The Library of Congress picks 25 movies each year that are deemed "culturally, historically or aesthetically" significant to be preserved for all time due to their significance to American culture.

Movie preservation has grown increasingly important over the last decade or more because about half of the films produced before 1950 and as many as 90 percent before 1920 were made from film stock that is decaying or has already decayed.

"The National Film Registry is a reminder to the nation that the preservation of our cinematic creativity must be a priority," Librarian of Congress James Billington said in a statement.

Some 2,112 movies were nominated in 2010 by the public, then chosen by Billington after consultation with the National Film Preservation Board and the library's movie staff.

The full list of 25 films follows:

1. Airplane (1980)

2. All the President's Men (1976)

3. The Bargain (1914)

4. Cry of Jazz (1959)

5. Electronic Labyrinth: THX 1138 4EB (1967)

6. The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

7. The Exorcist (1973)

8. The Front Page (1931)

9. Grey Gardens (1976)

10. I Am Joaquin (1969)

11. It's a Gift (1934)

12. Let There Be Light (1946)

13. Lonesome (1928)

14. Make Way For Tomorrow (1937)

15. Malcolm X (1992)

16. McCabe and Mrs. Miller (1971)

17. Newark Athlete (1891)

18. Our Lady of the Sphere (1969)

19. The Pink Panther (1964)

20. Preservation of the Sign Language (1913)

21. Saturday Night Fever (1977)

22. Study of a River (1996)

23. Tarantella (1940)

24. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (1945)

25. A Trip Down Market Street (1906)
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20101228...n-3334b85.html

Classicqueen13 12-28-10 09:41 PM

Re: 25 More Films Added To U.S. National Film Registry

Some interesting choices such as The Front Page and The Pink Panther.

MovieMad16 12-28-10 10:33 PM

and THX 1138

honeykid 12-28-10 10:47 PM

Airplane, All the President's Men, The Empire Strikes Back and The Exorcist. Those are the four I'm really pleased to see on there.

Harry Lime 12-28-10 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by MovieMad16 (Post 704703)
and THX 1138
It's the short film.

genesis_pig 12-28-10 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by MovieMad16 (Post 704703)
and THX 1138
Actually, this one is the original short film George Lucas directed.
THX 1138 was the remake of Electronic Labyrinth.

Just in case you didn't know.

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 704709)
Airplane, All the President's Men, The Empire Strikes Back and The Exorcist. Those are the four I'm really pleased to see on there.
Those are my choices as well, along with Pink Panther.

I thought The Exorcist was already registered. surprising.

NickPierson 12-30-10 06:53 PM

Has anyone actually seen Airplane!? That movie isn't a very good culture keepsake :D

genesis_pig 12-30-10 07:06 PM

Airplane! did start a new pattern for spoofs. Leslie Nielsen earned a certain reputation as a popular comedy actor.
So yes, Airplane is culturally significant in a sort of way.

genesis_pig 12-30-10 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by NickPierson (Post 705158)
Has anyone actually seen Airplane!? That movie isn't a very good culture keepsake :D
BTW, interesting to see your Favourite 5 movies are only of the last 2 years.

NickPierson 12-30-10 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by genesis_pig (Post 705159)
Airplane! did start a new pattern for spoofs. Leslie Nielsen earned a certain reputation as a popular comedy actor.
So yes, Airplane is culturally significant in a sort of way.
It may be significant but I don't think it's a good representation for us :p It was definitely funny but way too cheesy for me. I guess it's just not the type of movie I'm used to.

P.S. I can't think of good movies off the top of my head... and I'm young. I should probably redo the list :rolleyes:

genesis_pig 12-30-10 07:19 PM

The reason you might have found it cheesy is because, that kind of humor is done over & over again nowadays.. but for it's time it was far-out crazy & unique.

Atleast that's my understanding, I always considered Airplane! to be the first spoof of it's kind. I could be wrong.

MadMikeyD 12-30-10 07:24 PM

I have always believed Airplane! to be the originator of the spoof genre as well. Looking over the complete list of films on the National Film Registry, there's several that I might say don't neccessarily reflect well on society as a whole (Animal House? Fast Times at Ridgemont High?). However, almost all were significant in some way to the history of film, if not society.

MadMikeyD 12-30-10 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by NickPierson (Post 705164)
I can't think of good movies off the top of my head... and I'm young. I should probably redo the list :rolleyes:
Nick, don't redo your list just because someone knocks it. If those are your favorite films right now, let it stand. As you said, you're young. As you watch more movies your list will evolve. Twenty years ago almost none of my current favorite movies would have been on my list.

genesis_pig 12-30-10 07:32 PM

I never criticized his favorite movies!
I just found it interesting...

& honestly I think he should re-do his list if he gets the time, coz he sounds a lot smarter than his favorite movies.. just saying.

NickPierson 12-30-10 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by MadMikeyD (Post 705170)
Nick, don't redo your list just because someone knocks it. If those are your favorite films right now, let it stand. As you said, you're young. As you watch more movies your list will evolve. Twenty years ago almost none of my current favorite movies would have been on my list.
I didn't redo it but I finished it off. It was a lot easier than when I first attempted it except now I thought of too many movies :(

I think I could provide a top 10 for every film genre at the moment and I like movies too much so it's hard to rate one movie over another. I've only seen one movie in my life that I didn't like and it's the favorite of everyone else: Napoleon Dynamite.

genesis_pig 12-30-10 07:36 PM

I saw few minutes of Napoleon Dynamite & it bored the hell out of me.
But I am willing to give it a second chance sometime in the near future...

MadMikeyD 12-30-10 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by NickPierson (Post 705172)
I didn't redo it but I finished it off. It was a lot easier than when I first attempted it except now I thought of too many movies :(

I think I could provide a top 10 for every film genre at the moment and I like movies too much so it's hard to rate one movie over another. I've only seen one movie in my life that I didn't like and it's the favorite of everyone else: Napoleon Dynamite.
After my top 10-20 I have a hard time ranking movies, too. I've toyed with the idea of making a top 100 list like others on here have, but it's nearly overwhelming. If it makes you feel any better I've never had any desire to see Napoleon Dynamite, and the more my kid talks about it the less I want to see it.

Dog Star Man 12-30-10 07:53 PM

I know the Registry usually tries to pick out "historically/culturally" significant films for the library, many branching from all different genres and styles. But Tarantella as their selected Avant-Garde selection? Not that it's "bad" but I think there are other more important films that deserve to be in it's placement, such as Geography of the Body or Rituals in Transfigured Time. Oh well, there's always next year.

Gunny 12-30-10 08:58 PM

Certainly should have left Malcom X off the list. The movie was nothing special and Malcom X himself was a violent, racist, anti-semetic, black supremist. Dispicable human being. No one I want my grandchildren or great grandchildren remembering.

Brodinski 12-31-10 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 704709)
I almost got a warm feeling inside because I have no love whatsoever for a film that HK appears to really like. VICTORY!

Seriously, I thought that film wasn't funny at all. Can't remember laughing once and had to contain myself from not turning it off. Not my cup of tea I guess.

Brodinski 12-31-10 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Gunny (Post 705184)
Certainly should have left Malcom X off the list. The movie was nothing special and Malcom X himself was a violent, racist, anti-semetic, black supremist. Dispicable human being. No one I want my grandchildren or great grandchildren remembering.
That actually looks a lot like what I said on his Wikipedia page.

To his admirers, he was a courageous advocate for the rights of African Americans, a man who indicted white America in the harshest terms for its crimes against black Americans.[6] His detractors accused him of preaching racism, black supremacy, antisemitism, and violence.[7][8][9][10][11]
Is that how you roll, Gunny? Dislike the guy, read one line on Wikipedia, think it sounds good and post it?

Gunny 12-31-10 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Brodinski (Post 705264)

Is that how you roll, Gunny? Dislike the guy, read one line on Wikipedia, think it sounds good and post it?
Negative. These are all common facts about Malcom X. You're hardly the first person to ever say or think that. He was a disgusting person.

Dog Star Man 12-31-10 02:45 PM

If I may interject real quick.

Lee's movie touches on this a bit, (though not enough in my opinion), but there are really two periods of Malcolm X's life. The quote-unquote "Firebrand" period of his life in which he openly admitted that "white death" would be a "beautiful thing". However, that said, he did go to Mecca and changed his views much to the point where they were akin to Dr. King's. He became much more peaceful and tolerant of people, and I think that's ultimately the most important part of his life. The idea that a man can reform to be tolerant of life from all different races, creeds, sexes and orientations... this truly is the greatest, and I think most powerful period of his life. Here was a man who was bitter at white society, (when he should have been), and then later advocated through tolerance that society should not be divided, but together... just before his most unfortunate and untimely death. I honestly think Malcolm could have been a bridge builder, more so than Dr. King, because he had been on the otherside of hatred, came back, and promoted ideals of peace to black and white Americans. Today I find it very unfortunate that people seem to propel his "Firebrand" years, when his later life, to me, was so much more important, the ideals of reform... it as almost as if he ascended to Mt. Sinai only to come down to a world which would kill him for enlightenment. I guess I'm trying to say it's hard to label him so black and white, when the man and his career were so very much a shade of gray. He was like lightning in a jar, he lived at a time when black Americans needed him most.

wintertriangles 12-31-10 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Gunny (Post 705297)
Negative. These are all common facts about Malcom X. You're hardly the first person to ever say or think that. He was a disgusting person.
It's easy to say that when you read generalizations and never take the time to actually think about it. Dog Star says it better than I would, and less threatening

planet news 12-31-10 03:05 PM

Hey DSM! That was touching. Don't know much about the guy myself.

will.15 12-31-10 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by MadMikeyD (Post 705169)
I have always believed Airplane! to be the originator of the spoof genre as well. Looking over the complete list of films on the National Film Registry, there's several that I might say don't neccessarily reflect well on society as a whole (Animal House? Fast Times at Ridgemont High?). However, almost all were significant in some way to the history of film, if not society.
It certainly wasn't the originator of the spoof genre. it was done a lot in the silent era in comedy shorts and in the feature length movie The Three Must Get Theirs. It wasn't done so much in the sound era until Mel Brooks did Blazing Saddles and especially the next one, Young Frankenstein. Airplane created a specific style the has been imitated since (but not so much lately).

will.15 12-31-10 03:50 PM

As for Malcolm X changing his views he did, but...he remained an Anti Semite. Alex Haley his collaborator on the autobiography edited out the comments.

Dog Star Man 12-31-10 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by will.15 (Post 705316)
As for Malcolm X changing his views he did, but...he remained an Anti Semite. Alex Haley his collaborator on the autobiography edited out the comments.
Not according to this.

will.15 12-31-10 04:23 PM

This is from Wikipedia:

In late 1963, Haley was particularly worried about what he viewed as Malcolm X's anti-Semitism. He therefore rewrote material to eliminate a number of negative statements about Jews in the book manuscript

Dog Star Man 12-31-10 05:14 PM

A couple things:

1) This is interesting because I'm searching that verbatim quote on Wikipedia and coming up empty on both Malcolm X's and Alex Haley's page. So to me it represents a flawed source, and I can't accept it unless I can read it for myself.

2) Wikipedia is not a reliable source for sourcing. The point of Wikipedia is to read the articles provided in notation. Not the article on the page itself since it has an open edit policy.

3) Malcolm's trip to Mecca was in 1964. It's entirely understandable about Haley's concern during his time, (in 1963 that is), with him prior to this trip. But as I illustrated before. Malcolm reforms at Mecca and comes back with a different enlightened, and tamed, demeanor than what his previous convictions had conceived.

uconjack 12-31-10 05:51 PM

Actually it's more interesting to look at his life in four stages. When he was known as Malcolm Little, Detroit Red, Malcolm X, and el-Hajj Malik el-Shabazz.

Personally, I loved this movie. One of my all time favorites.

will.15 12-31-10 06:52 PM

The source wikipedia cites is Malcolm X in Our Own Image by Joe Wood. There was a lot more. I just took one line.

It is from wikipedia's Malcolm X Autobiography, not the entry on his life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Aut...y_of_Malcolm_X

Dog Star Man 12-31-10 07:51 PM

Apparently I have another book to read with Joe Woods Malcolm X: In Our Own Image. Though I'd hate to quote Wikipedia on the grounds of reliability, I will quote it anyway if we are to make points:

"[T]he autobiography iconizes Malcolm twice, not once. Its second Malcolm—the El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz finale—is a mask with no distinct ideology, it is not particularly Islamic, not particularly nationalist, not particularly humanist. Like any well crafted icon or story, the mask is evidence of its subject's humanity, of Malcolm's strong human spirit. But both masks hide as much character as they show. The first mask served a nationalism Malcolm had rejected before the book was finished; the second is mostly empty and available."

I would say this autobiography is masking Malcolm to a large extent, but the book was being written at another turning and transitional point in Malcolm's life. Maybe I'm reading into this, but I don't think I am since his actions at Wayne State seem to verify my point, the transition after Mecca came gradual, and his demeanor had changed, yet yielding. Still, his actions and words during this time reflect something that his ghostwriter had not written down, as most of the book reflects a agenda which was more concrete prior to Mecca, and fissured thereafter. Thus his assassination leaves the book, in my eyes, rather incomplete.

Harry Lime 12-31-10 09:44 PM

The Birth of a Nation has been on the registry for almost twenty years. Just saying.

NickPierson 12-31-10 11:51 PM

Why do we even have a film registry? As long as the internet stays around, we'll have EVERY movie. Plus, there was movies over 100 years ago and no one cares about those...

It's just extra storage. Trying to make it seem like we're doing something to preserve the country.

mark f 01-01-11 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Harry Lime (Post 705361)
The Birth of a Nation has been on the registry for almost twenty years. Just saying.
It certainly "deserves" to be, but somehow I don't believe this to be your point...

will.15 01-01-11 03:17 AM

His point was it is controversial because it is racist, just as Malcolm X is controversial, which has been added to the Registry. The comment was a response to Gunny's comments.

mark f 01-01-11 03:18 AM

No Duh. :cool:

Dog Star Man 01-01-11 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by NickPierson (Post 705371)
Why do we even have a film registry? As long as the internet stays around, we'll have EVERY movie. Plus, there was movies over 100 years ago and no one cares about those...

It's just extra storage. Trying to make it seem like we're doing something to preserve the country.
"Without out libraries what have we? We have no past and no future."

---Ray Bradbury---

This comment of yours seems very short sighted and ill-conceived. A few things:

1) Older films, (especially silent films), were filmed on Nitrate stock and many studios, along with historians among others, have been moving these films into the registry at the library of congress to preserve them and keep them from further deterioration, or worse, burning.

2) The library is digitizing most of these films so they can be further preserved and live on into next generations.

3) As the quote said above, "100+ year films" provide a useful look into film history, practice, and theory that a person who "doesn't watch them anyway" would not obtain. I own many of these silent films that were selected for the registry's special task of keeping them restored. An example is a Kino box set I have of Edison films from the 1880's to about 1910's. All of these films were in dire need of restoration and they, along with the MoMA, did a marvelous job of keeping these films from perishing completely. A truly fascinating cinematic piece is the "Dickson Experimental Sound Film" which illustrates a number of things to film historians and allows them to reevaluate their opinions on the silent era. Much like an archeologist find after an extensive dig...

Try to imagine yourself in the Silent Era. You get your first look at this "silent film" as you enter a film school. It moves like very primitively, flickering, the shots staying relatively stagnant. And you keep still because you think that maybe it's visual aesthetics is based on movement like T-Rex - you'll lose it if it doesn't move. But no, not silent film. You stare at it, and it just stares right back. And that's when the surprise comes. Not from the so much from the mise-en-scene, but from the edit, from the other two montages you didn't even know were coming. Because silent film's a trend setter, you see, it uses coordinated mise-en-scene and editing patterns and it's aesthetics are still used today. And he shoots you with this... a Lumiere Cinematographe, it works like a camera, but also functions as a projector. It doesn't bother to bombard your senses like a Star Wars film, or perhaps Avatar... no no. It surprises your initial conceptions of current film here... or here... or maybe across the eye, opening your minds eyes to previous unknown conceptions. The point is... you are alive when they start to surprise you. So you know... try to show a little respect...

TylerDurden99 01-01-11 04:55 AM

Airplane, The Empire Strikes Back & maybe All The President's Men are the only ones I'm glad about seeing on this new entry list.

honeykid 01-01-11 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by NickPierson (Post 705371)

So that when the solar EMP hits us, we'll have something of the knowledge that humanity has gathered together. Everything with a computer chip will be useless. Then, books may just come in handy... Cos your kindle will be nothing but a block of plastic. Of course, most of the books will probably be burnt anyway, so in a way, they'll be kindling, too. :D