Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Intermission: Miscellaneous Chat (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Road Trip Pics and Blog (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=59421)

7thson 05-24-19 09:46 PM

Road Trip Pics and Blog

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone.
The wife (halfangel/Dev) and I will be taking an extended road trip this Summer/Fall. We hope to hit as many of the 48 states as we can during this time and I wanted to have a place to post pics and info on our adventure. Please do not roll your eyes too much you do not have to look ;).

Dev is taking a sabbatical from working and I am already medically retired so it is a perfect time for us to do something we will probably never have the chance to do again. We are also hoping to get to Ireland at some point for an overdue honeymoon. We were supposed to do that last year but were not able to.

As we travel we hope to meet up with a few MOFOs if we can so if we are in your area and would like to meet for lunch or just say hi hit me up and let me know. I will post our tentative itinerary as we make our rounds and will update as dates/times become more set.

We will be departing Pensacola on May 28th to head to Key West via Orlando and then around the 2nd of June we will be heading back north through Bradenton and then Universal. After that we will be going to Tennessee, North Carolina, D.C. Virginia, then New York, Maine, Vermont, Pennsylvania and then Indiana. These areas are our stopping points but as we travel we will be making quick stops all over the place.

As we make our way around the country we will be stopping at all 4 extreme points on the compass in the lower 48.

North: Angel Inlet , MN
South: Key West, Fl
East: West Quoddy Head Maine
West: Cape Alava, Washington

We definitely welcome ideas on things to do and places to eat so if you have any please send them our way.

A few other well known places we will be visiting at some point:
Mt Rushmore
Yellowstone National Park
Hollywood Sign
Hollywood Walk of Fame
Lake Tahoe
Niagara Falls
The Stanley Hotel in Colorado
Tombstone
4 Corners ( I wonder if Ed Helms and Christina Applegate will be there?)
Redwood National Forest
Golden Gate Bridge
Space Needle

I am also going to try and take some photo ops with my MOFO shirt on in key areas so it should be a lot of fun.

This is a map of our route outline, but keep in mind we are playing things by ear as we travel.

We are very excited to see places we have never been and to visit places we saw growing up once again.

Thanks.

Yoda 05-24-19 10:26 PM

Re: Road Trip Pics and Blog

So cool. I've always wanted to do something like this. I find it inspiring. Can't wait to see the pictures! :)

gbgoodies 05-25-19 12:12 AM

This sounds like an amazing trip. I always wanted to do something like this, but I just don't have the time or the money.

Have a wonderful time, and post lots of pictures.

7thson 05-28-19 01:59 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Alright we are ready (I think) and are departing on the first leg of our trip in the morning - May 28th.

We are heading out at 7:00 am for Key West. We will be taking our time getting there so we are stopping our first night in Orlando near the Florida Mall. I am a big Food Network lover and there is a place I saw on Diners, Drive-Inns and Dives that I want to try out. Fat One;s Hot Dogs. Not only does it have an awesome name it looks to have some great dogs.

The next day it is off to Coral Springs and there we will visit Butterfly World.

After a night there we will head all the way to Key West. We will be staying right in Key West for 3 days then heading back north through the everglades where we will be doing an air-boat tour. After that we head to Bradenton to visit my oldest sister and then to Universal Studios for two days in a resort at the park.

We will also be stopping at random places along the way if something catches our eye.

Guess I better get some sleep. Will post pictures soon as I can. My MOFO shirt is fresh out of the wash.

7thson 05-28-19 09:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)

We are off , only about an hour late leaving. Not bad for us.

Yoda 05-28-19 10:04 AM

Leaving an hour late is ahead of schedule, as far as I'm concerned.

7thson 05-28-19 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2014586)
Leaving an hour late is ahead of schedule, as far as I'm concerned.
I totally agree.

Well we just got to Orlando, not a bad ride. I tried going into wrong room because i read the key wrong, but hey we made it.

7thson 05-28-19 07:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
;)Well Fat Ones was a bust. They are only a food truck now and not near us. But alas we get to go to Mrs Potato instead.
Empanada heaven baby!!!

Update: Ooohhh the regret, so good but so filling.

gbgoodies 05-29-19 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by 7thson (Post 2014749)
;)Well Fat Ones was a bust. They are only a food truck now and not near us. But alas we get to go to Mrs Potato instead.

We had a similar problem a few years ago with a restaurant in Connecticut. We heard about it from a food TV show, and it sounded great, but when we got there it was just a food truck on the side of the road. :(

7thson 05-29-19 01:21 AM

I would have been okay with a food truck, but they werent rven near area they mentioned.

I know things chane but i double checked same day we left.
Oh well we enjoyed the other place.

7thson 05-29-19 02:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Made it to Butterfly World in Coral Springs. Cool place, going to post some pics later.

Stirchley 05-29-19 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2013949)
So cool. I've always wanted to do something like this. I find it inspiring. Can't wait to see the pictures! :)
Ditto. Ditto. Ditto. :)

7thson 05-29-19 05:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I really really enjoyed this place more than i expected. Very tranquil and lots to see.

Dev realy doesn't like spiders deas or alive.

Blue butterly liked either my beard or my glasses not sure which.

Very fun place.

Sry for sideways pics doing this from phone.

gbgoodies 05-29-19 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by 7thson (Post 2014792)
I would have been okay with a food truck, but they werent rven near area they mentioned.

I know things chane but i double checked same day we left.
Oh well we enjoyed the other place.

We had the same problem a few years ago with a Golden Corral in PA. We called the night before to find out how late they would be open the next night, but when we got there the next night, they were out of business. Apparently corporate didn't even tell the workers that they were closing that location until it was actually closed. :(

7thson 05-30-19 12:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Had dinner at Fat Boyz BBQ.
Best damn BBQ ive had in awhile.

I got a "whoze yo daddy" sandwhich.

7thson 05-30-19 11:51 PM

4 Attachment(s)
So it was a very busy day, but we made it to Key West.

Got to see the southernmost point in the lower 48. I guess there is a debate about that and is a sore point with some locals. There is a house here that says southernmost house in U.S. and then one right next to it that says southernmost southernmost house. Then there is a private island that is 1/4 mile further south so they say. Doesn't matter to me it is all symbolic and we have reached the furthest we can go so I am cool with that :).

Dev and I both ate conch for the first time ever today. She had fritters and I had fried, the flavor was really good but the texture was too weird for me, kinda like clam but too chewy. I was told it was prepared properly and that it was supposed to be this way. I believe them because there were so many people eating it and the place was rated the best for conch in the area. Well I can cross that off my list, but I a cool with passing on it next time.

We walked two miles to the southern buoy today and on the way our 10 year old son said we were going to "die at the end of the world because it was so hot. Haha, we wound up taking a taxi back instead of walking, I talked the guy into doing it for $15 instead of $40. Hey I am not cheap but if I can save a buck... I gave him a good tip though.

The sunsets here are about the most amazing I have seen. The only thing that comes close are the ones I saw in Kuwait. They also last forever. We took pictures and then went inside and came out 45 minutes later and still the sun was hanging on the horizon, very cool.

We are taking a sunset dinner cruise tomorrow and the next day we are going snorkeling.

The waters her are crystal blue/turquoise in places. The beaches are not white like Pensacola, but the water is very clear and beautiful.

US 1 was a fun ride and so far we are really loving this area.

Some cool 57s parked out in front of the resort we are at. One of my fav cars, I di dnot even know they had them here.

Stirchley 05-31-19 02:51 PM

I love Key West and, as you say, the drive there is great. Did you not go to Ernest Hemingway’s house (plus cats)? Cool place to visit.

7thson 06-01-19 10:29 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2015380)
I love Key West and, as you say, the drive there is great. Did you not go to Ernest Hemingway’s house (plus cats)? Cool place to visit.

Funny you ask, just got on to post some pics . We certainly did, it was really cool place. 50 cats total so I was told, all descendants of their original cat. I wont go into a history lesson, but Hemingway had some really amazing times in his life. Definitely played a part indirectly and directly in cinema. I am going to have to give a re watch to many of the films he was a part of in any way.

7thson 06-01-19 10:43 AM

One more day in the keys, did a sunset dinner cruise last night and today its dolphins and snorkling.

Will post some pics after all the fun .

7thson 06-03-19 08:10 AM

A couple days behind on updating but we have been in the Everglades and signal is pretty bad here. Did an awesome airboat tour yesterday and hung out with some locals at a cafe.

Should be in our hotel in Orlando/universal tonight and hope to catch up posting pics and activities.

GulfportDoc 06-03-19 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by 7thson (Post 2013941)
We are very excited to see places we have never been and to visit places we saw growing up once again.
7thson, I'm knocked out by the scope of your journey! Sounds like y'all are taking a well deserved trip. I sure wish I had that kind of energy!

Wishing you a great time, and will look forward to the photos.

~Doc

Stirchley 06-03-19 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by 7thson (Post 2015504)
50 cats total so I was told, all descendants of their original cat.
Wow, a lot more since we were there. Yes, they’re all descended from EH’s cat. Something distinctive about their paws, IIRC.

Never seen a movie made from EH’s books, but my fave book of his is The Sun Also Rises.

Originally Posted by 7thson (Post 2015762)
Did an awesome airboat tour
What is an air boat?

7thson 06-04-19 12:35 PM

6 Attachment(s)
At Universal today.

Throwing random pics up, will add descriptions later. Great day so far. Short wait on rides.

Part of the waiting area for The Fast and furious ride. Was a pretty cool simulation Bus ride.

Damain in Springfield deciding on where to go for lunch, we decided on Krusty Burgers.

You can ask Dev if they were any good :).

On the way out of the F&F ride.

Butterbeer 'stach.

View from 16th floor in the hotel room

7thson 06-04-19 12:41 PM

4 Attachment(s)

Visiting Ollivanders in Diagon Alley.

Damian in front of Minion merchandise.

This was on the Tiger and the alligator cages in animal park in the Everglades - probably good advice.

gbgoodies 06-04-19 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by 7thson (Post 2016111)
At Universal today.

I loved Universal when I was there a few years ago. My favorite ride was the Spiderman ride.

gbgoodies 06-04-19 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by 7thson (Post 2016114)

Minions! I wish they had the Minions store when I was there, but it's probably for the best that they didn't. I could have easily spent my whole paycheck there.

7thson 06-05-19 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by GulfportDoc (Post 2015783)
7thson, I'm knocked out by the scope of your journey! Sounds like y'all are taking a well deserved trip. I sure wish I had that kind of energy!

Wishing you a great time, and will look forward to the photos.

~Doc
Thanks, it really is a big undertaking and one that was fairly sudden for us, as far as the decision goes. We went back and forth many times on whether we should do it or not. Things kind of fell all into place for us with finances, time, Damian's schooling, etc... We figured we would probably not have a chance like this again with factors like health, age, retirement, our son's age and more. So we just went for it. I have spent much of my life traveling and I am grateful to have seen so many things already, but rarely through my travels have I been able to enjoy things without either being rushed or it being work related. So we are taking our time and just enjoying everything the best we can. I feel really fortunate and I am happy to have my best friend along with me (my wife :) ).

As far as energy goes, I am limited, but that is why we are taking our time. we have it planned where neither one of us drives for more than 3 hours a day, with a few rare exceptions.

We are just finishing up our Florida leg of the trip and heading home for a few days to get our dogs and they are coming with us for the next leg heading north.

We are a little over budget because Universal is just so much and we wanted a few souvenirs,but we will be camping and staying at a few family locations coming up so we can make up for it.

7thson 06-05-19 12:25 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2015881)

What is an air boat?

I always called them fan boats but down here everyone called them air boats. They are made for marshy areas and swampland, but also rivers and such. I actually worked (never drove) on one for a few months doing survey work in Indiana after they had an oil spill on a river up that way. It was pretty cool at that time to ride on one, but never got to have fun on it.

The tour we did in the Everglades was amazing. The Captain was cool and we talked him into going pretty fast and doing some spins. ($20 tip helped).

Stirchley 06-05-19 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by 7thson (Post 2016227)
Yikes, is that real? Tell me that it’s not cruel to muzzle its mouth like that.

7thson 06-05-19 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2016371)
Yikes, is that real? Tell me that it’s not cruel to muzzle its mouth like that.
Lol, its a hair tie and they only did it because our son wouldnt hold it otherwise. It was on for like 1 min. She whispered to me that it could break it easily if it wanted to.

Yoda 06-05-19 04:07 PM

Lovin' these. :)

Stirchley 06-05-19 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by 7thson (Post 2016378)
Lol, its a hair tie and they only did it because our son wouldnt hold it otherwise. It was on for like 1 min. She whispered to me that it could break it easily if it wanted to.
Got it. Thanks!

gbgoodies 06-06-19 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by 7thson (Post 2016227)

I hope that's not your son's souvenir from The Everglades part of your trip! :eek:

7thson 06-06-19 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 2016476)
I hope that's not your son's souvenir from The Everglades part of your trip! :eek:
Haha, he wishes. He got a stuffed Gator toy.

7thson 06-11-19 02:24 AM

We are heading out in the morning for the next portion of our trip. We are taking our two Saint Bernards with us this time around.

Current plans are:
Leaving Pensacola on morning of the 11th.

Staying 3 nights in Falls Creek Falls Tennessee camping out.

Then off to see The Biltmore Mansion in Asheville, N.C. Also visiting some of Dev's friends in that area.

After that on to Virginia to stay at her Grandparents vacation home there and we will be there a week or so and during that time will hit D.C.

Then to New York to visit her family and send our son to YouTube Production Camp - he is really excited about that part. Its a week long so while he is doing that the wife and I are going up to Maine and hitting the west most point in the US and then going to Niagara Falls with a few stops in between.

When we are done there it is back to NY to pick up our son and stay a few more days.

After that we head to Indianapolis by way of Pittsburgh where I hope to get some local Steeler stuff and maybe do lunch with Yoda if timing works out.

From there we are heading to Coldwater MI. to the Capri Drive-in Theater (it was voted into the top 10 drive-ins in the U.S.) I cannot remember the last time I saw a first run movie at a drive in.

In Indy we are doing the largest children's museum. in the world.

From there we will head home and hit Nashville for a night and see what is happening there.

We should be back home sometime in late July to stay a few days then we head up to Minnesota and then out West.

I will post pics and stuff as I can - we are all really excited. Hopefully the doggies will do okay that long away from home.

7thson 06-11-19 05:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
20 mins into trip the dogs already had to pee. Sigh.

7thson 06-11-19 11:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
At our camp site, actually get a signal out here. Saw fireflies at dusk, first time I have seen them in many years, was really cool. Was tough getting a fire started cause everything is damp, but we got it finally.

Stirchley 06-12-19 02:23 PM

“Then off to see The Biltmore Mansion in Asheville, N.C.”

IIRC, that is where @Yoda’s wife hails from. He may also have told us their 1st date was at the Biltmore, but I may be imagining this.

Yoda 06-12-19 04:50 PM

You remember right on her being from Asheville, though I've yet to visit the Biltmore. That's an interesting thought, though: a first date there! I'll have to tell her about that. Maybe we'll have a date there yet, next time we go back to visit.

7thson 06-12-19 09:17 PM

5 Attachment(s)
What a crazy and fun day. Definitely will be posting more when I can but we hiked 7 mountainous miles to the top and the bottom of Falls creek Falls waterfall.
Very tough for this overweight 52 year old, but we all did it including the dogs.

Sry for sideways pics again, will fix at some point.

7thson 06-13-19 07:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay so my wife told me it was 5 miles, my phone said 7. I dont care if it was 2, it was freaking hard :).

Stirchley 06-14-19 02:52 PM

That’s a long hike over that terrain whether it be 7 or 2 miles.

7thson 06-18-19 01:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not much signal here in Machipongo, VA. Here for a week or so, will catch up when I can.
Trip to gas station an grabbed a signal.

Yoda 06-18-19 01:59 PM

That sideways photo thing makes that rock climbing photo look insane. :laugh: I'm like, why are they letting him do that?!

How are the dogs liking the trip?

7thson 06-18-19 04:13 PM

So I am able to tether to my wifes phone which gets 1 bar. Ill take it lol.

The dogs are loving it, about to take them crabbing with us on the Chesapeake.

Not sure why pics are sideways sometimes , not sure how to fix until i am in front of PCyeah that pic does look crazy that way.

Stirchley 06-19-19 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by 7thson (Post 2018901)
Great photo.

7thson 06-19-19 05:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2019135)
Great photo.
Thanks, it is really amazing how far you can go out and still be in water below your knees. I stopped going at what i would guess is about half a mile.

7thson 06-20-19 08:54 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Getting behind a bit on my posts here, but I will make up for it when I can.

Here are a few pics from the Biltmore visit.

We really enjoyed it there and I will put up some pics of the inside at some point. It is really an fun place and the square footage is crazy, I think they said 175,000+ sq ft.

No way we could see everything. It has two basements, one which has a swimming pool and 2 lane bowling area.

I would definitely recommend it, plan on a lot of walking if you want to see most of it.

There was also an area in the gardens that had a model train running around the whole thing, that was one of my favorite part, lots of great replica models of the whole estate in there.

Stirchley 06-21-19 02:09 PM

Wow, I love model trains. Definitely looks like a great place to visit.

You’re having great weather by the looks of it. First day of summer here in Connecticut is a washout. :(

7thson 06-23-19 03:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A few evening storms but overall yeah weather is great.
2 more days here then a day in D.C. before hitting N.Y.

Sunset on the Chesapeake.

7thson 06-23-19 09:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Started running low on DVD options here in nowhere land so we found an old stash of VHS stuff AND a player. Getting ready to watch these bad boys, our son has never seen them.

7thson 06-25-19 12:44 AM

So focusing on the movie/cinema aspect of our trip thus far we have watched quite a few films during the times of the day when we were just hanging around the house. So far we have watched:

Nightmare on Elm Street 1 thru 4 (My wife has always avoided watching these because she thinks she would be too scared. The vacation home (it is her grandparents) here in Virginia had the whole collection of Freddy stuff so we made it through the first 4 flicks. She was more grossed out than scared lol, but wants to watch the rest.

Shrek, Lilo and Stitch, Garfield, Harry Potter 1 thru 4, (Our son's picks over the last 10 days or so).

TAPS, Cadillac Man, Matrix trilogy, Outsiders (one of my fav movies) Finding Nemo (we all wanted to see that one). Saw a bunch of westerns on the Grit channel they get here, Very few channels on the antenna here, mostly religious and Spanish stuff.

Might have saw a few more I cant recall atm, but all in all it was fun sitting around watching old flicks with the family. I had never seen Cadillac Man before myself, or if I had I do not remember it. That damn yippy dog drove me crazy, the best parts were when Williams broke the 4th wall, loved that.

Packing up to head out to D.C. in the morning, it has been great being mostly off the grid, but will be nice to experience high speed internet again.

Limited time in D/C. but I really want to get by Arlington and Lincoln Memorial.

7thson 06-26-19 01:15 PM

So much to see in DC, saw monument, Capitol, and Lincoln and WWII memorials yesterday. Today we went to Arlington and later the Smithsonian, phewwwww miles of walking but well worth it. I keep having "Designated Survivor" visions.

Dogs not allowed in a lot if places so we take turns going . Love it here.

Pics won't upload right now, but hope to post some soon.

Stirchley 06-26-19 03:35 PM

Did you see the Vietnam memorial? Planning a White House tour? One thing that’s great about DC (if it’s still the same) is that all the “sights” are free admission.

7thson 06-26-19 11:56 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2020537)
Did you see the Vietnam memorial? Planning a White House tour? One thing that’s great about DC (if it’s still the same) is that all the “sights” are free admission.
We had to choose because of time constraints, but happy with what we saw. Our next visit we want to do White House, Vietnam memorial and the holocaust museum. Over 12 miles of walking in two days with two dogs, so much enjoyment though. Yeah the free part was great. Just parking which wasn't too expensive.

Some Arlington pics:

7thson 06-27-19 09:26 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Posting stuff out of order at times, but hey who cares its all the same vacation ;).

Just got to DC, found a parking spot fairly close to the National Mall (a very difficult feat I might add) and Dev found a vendor truck that matches her hair.

A very neat place for pictures, We walked from the Capitol to the Lincoln Monument and back. Also lots of squirrels which made walking to large dogs a bit difficult but entertaining.

Smithsonian Castle, Dev also took Damian into the Smithsonian National History Museum, I dog sat in the van with the AC on full blast.

So I also posted this pic on FB and my in laws found it funny to make fun of the phallic symbol between us and said it is a sign of something to come. Shheshhh the mouth on those New Yorkers. ;)

WWII Memorial. I really loved this area, so peaceful yet powerful. Definitely made me feel grateful for our country.

Cool to finally see this in person, it was so crowded though. The doggies weren't allowed at the top of stairs - the guard said sorry you cannot bring the dogs up here in a very serious voice and then proceeded to say how cute they were.

So we are in NY now at my wife's grandparents house. We are roughing it a bit as there is no water here and a lot of remodeling going on but they let us stay here anyway. Her Mom's house is just down the block where we can use bathrooms and stuff but not enough room there to sleep and the two dogs. I will not lie and say I didn't utilize the bushes at 5:30 this morning though.

We are here for about 3 week and taking one of those weeks to go north to Maine/Niagra while our son goes to YouTube camp here. I love him, but it will be nice to have just adult time :).

I have been trying to wear my MOFO shirt in the pics more often, I should have bought a 2nd one, its hard to keep clean in the hot weather.

7thson 06-27-19 09:41 AM

I am trying to swing some Hamilton tickets while we are here too, I am hoping to surprise Damian, he really loves the songs from the play and sings them all the time.

Stirchley 06-28-19 03:41 PM

@7thson, great photos. Great blog. Enjoy!

7thson 06-30-19 01:24 PM

Well im am in the thick of in law visiting time. Help......

Yoda 06-30-19 01:42 PM

STAY STRONG. YOU CAN DO THIS

lenslady 06-30-19 06:22 PM

Maybe this will help

WARNING - Do not play this song out loud in a public place- hide in the closet and listen to it on earphones
( not p c but sure is funny)

https://youtu.be/6EN5eJf5h_k

7thson 06-30-19 09:49 PM

Alright so we are having a great time on vacation and although there have been times when things did not go as planned or the schedule got messed up or whatever, it has been - all in all a great vacation thus far.

But,
In-laws are rough at least mine are. Not all mind you and not always, but yesterday kinda of annoyed the hell out of me. Since it happened during vacation I am going to go ahead and add it here to help keep things in perspective and remind me to be grateful of all the good days we are having.

So the short version of what happened:

We are staying at my wife's grandparents house on Long Island (yes same grandparents that owned the vacation home in Virginia, they have more houses than I do pairs of underwear) This house is being redone/remodeled whatever you want to call it. Mind you this has been the case for 15 years from what I am told. Anyway there is no running water due to a leak and a main drain line issue. Still appreciate being able to stay here beats the $2000+ hotel bill we would have had for the whole time we are here. My problem is with some of Dev's cousins and others but mostly them. One is a 21 year old enabled brat that always bothered me but it is cool I have some family members I am not proud of myself believe me. To set the scenario up - I needed to run to the store to get some minor things so I left to do so. While I was gone Three things happened: 1. My wife's ex was dropping off our son (his biological son) after spending time with him. 2. My sister in-law arrived, she was spending the night with all of us to hang out and play cards. 3. The 21 year old brat (name withheld to protect the guilty)also arrived to drop off one of his many cars in the driveway because he does not like keeping them at his house because all of the are illegal (not registered properly) and he likes to switch tags or whatever. Mind you that he already has 3 or 4 cars here and the grandfather has a boat and other vehicles here, which is of course is his right. Then I show back up with no place to park. There is a party going on next door and the street has filled up, at least in the immediate area. I pull up with stuff to unload and ask if someone is moving soon or if the person (brat) can move at least long enough for me to unload my stuff. He looks at me like I am crazy. Keep in mind he is also parked like an Ahole, sideways in the driveway blocking where I could at least park on the grass which I had permission to do so if needed. He says where do I want him to move too. I said anywhere long enough for me to unload my stuff. I can park further down the road when I am done and move later. He turns his back on me and continues to talk to my wife's ex about god knows what, blowing me off. So I park behind him partly hanging in the road, but I don't care at that point and start unloading. His remedy (instead of waiting 3 mins)- he goes into the back yard and gets one of his other cars he has there, leaves the gate open and leaves in a huff talking about getting a baseball or something. He knows our dogs are back there and they get out and we have to run after them. Thank god they listen to us and come back right away as it is a busy street. Nothing else happened (yet) and I am not going to instigate anything because I just want to have a good vacation and also not put my wife in a weird position. My sister in-law told me plenty about how he thinks he is gods gift to everything and doesn't even know when he is being rude. I mean we re living here for three weeks and he can have some courtesy to his cousin if not to me.

Oh well, wanted to vent a little and I am not even sure if what I wrote is coherent. I am totally over it now and will see him again in a week or so at a family BBQ/poker night thing. It only really got me angry later when I found out my wife initially told him not to park there because I was coming back, so he even knew that. I wont even go into today and hanging out at my mother in-laws house and how uncomfortable that was, but I was very civil and cool headed :).

gbgoodies 07-01-19 01:16 AM

Sorry to hear about the problems with your relatives. I know how you feel. Hubby's parents live on a round court at the end of a dead end street, and they have problems with their neighbors parking in front of their house all the time. There's plenty of room for them to park, but the street is curved because of the court, so they park at a weird angle and block my in-laws driveway so they can't pull out of their driveway without hitting the neighbors car unless they drive on their lawn. They've asked the neighbors to park closer to their own house, but they just keep blocking my in-laws driveway.

Unfortunately some people only care about themselves, and they don't care how the things they do affect other people. You just have to learn to let it go, or you'll spend the whole time fighting with them.

On a different note, where on Long Island are you staying? Hubby and I got drenched in the downpour yesterday, and just missed getting drenched again today. The weather here recently has been crazy. It's too hot most of the day, and then the skies open late in the afternoon. Fortunately there's a 7-11 on just about every corner around here for cold drinks, and they've been running a great promotion in their app to get 5000 points towards free food and drinks.

gbgoodies 07-01-19 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by 7thson (Post 2020674)
I am trying to swing some Hamilton tickets while we are here too, I am hoping to surprise Damian, he really loves the songs from the play and sings them all the time.

BTW, were you able to get Hamilton tickets? I haven't seen it, but it's supposed to be great.

7thson 07-01-19 05:05 AM

We are in Medford, rained pretty heavy here as well, but not for long. Been pretty hot and most of the residences we visit dont have AC, or they do and dont use it.

No tickets yet, none I can afford anyway.

doubledenim 07-01-19 06:11 AM

Sounds like a great trip 7, attraction-wise :D Biltmore is truly one of the wonders of the U.S. , it is a standard trip for 6th graders here. I went to D.C. the summer of the Seoul Olympics and it is one of my fondest memories. I would love to go back for the Smithsonian run alone.

Stirchley 07-01-19 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by 7thson (Post 2021122)
Well im am in the thick of in law visiting time. Help.
My late in-laws were the very best. They lived 3,000 miles away & couldn’t speak a word of English. Perfect. :)

gbgoodies 07-01-19 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by 7thson (Post 2021228)
We are in Medford, rained pretty heavy here as well, but not for long. Been pretty hot and most of the residences we visit dont have AC, or they do and dont use it.
If you like animals, you're not far from the Long Island Game Farm Wildlife Park and Children's Zoo. I haven't been there in many years, but I used to love going there when I was younger.

Originally Posted by 7thson (Post 2021228)
No tickets yet, none I can afford anyway.
Unfortunately that's why I don't go to many Broadway shows either. I recently read that Hugh Jackman is appearing at the Nassau Coliseum in October, but the ticket prices are so high that I decided not to go. Some of the nosebleed seats are reasonably priced at around $40 - $50, but if you want any lower level seats, tickets start at around $400 each, and go over $1000 each. :(

7thson 07-03-19 01:05 AM

2 Attachment(s)
A pretty laid back day today. Went and saw the TWA flight 800 memorial site. It has to be maddening for those families even after so long.

We got some tickets for the new Spiderman movie and are going to see it tommorow. I always like visiting theaters I have never been to.

7thson 07-04-19 12:40 PM

Heading out in the morning for the part of our vacation sans 10 year old demon/kid ;).

We will be gone for 7 days and returning in time to see his presentation after attending You Tube Camp

He is very excited, probably more than we are at having some adult time.

Our Northern travels will take us to:
Mystic, CN
West Quoddy, ME
The White House Inn, VT it is supposed to be haunted, would love to see a ghost. Maybe...

(oh and my wife's maiden name is Brown, if you read the story in the link you will see why that matters lol).

then back to Long Island.

should be a lot of fun, will definitely get some pics.

gbgoodies 07-04-19 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by 7thson (Post 2021788)
Our Northern travels will take us to:

The White House Inn, VT it is supposed to be haunted, would love to see a ghost. Maybe...

(oh and my wife's maiden name is Brown, if you read the story in the link you will see why that matters lol).

then back to Long Island.

If you like haunted places, then you might want to check out Mount Misery Road in Huntington before you leave Long Island. I've always avoided it, but I know people who drove there, and they had such bad experiences that they swore they would never go back there again. :eek:

There was even a movie made about it, but I've never seen it, (and I read that it's terrible, so you might want to skip the movie). BTW, the road is NOT in Amityville. It's in Huntington. I assume they called it "Amityville" to get the "Amityville Horror" fans to watch it.

Here's the trailer for the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vcxge1tQ60

7thson 07-04-19 11:42 PM

That is pretty creepy. I love haunted places and think I may get the wife to take me to Hunington when we get back from Niagara. Thanks for the info.

gbgoodies 07-04-19 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by 7thson (Post 2021841)
That is pretty creepy. I love haunted places and think I may get the wife to take me to Hunington when we get back from Niagara. Thanks for the info.

If you decide to drive on Mount Misery Road, let us know if anything strange happens. I've heard a lot of very weird stuff that happened to my friends on that road.

7thson 07-05-19 01:51 AM

Definitely , maybe I will try to get some video too.

7thson 07-05-19 11:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Passing Rikers Island and about to get on Throgs Neck bridge ...on the road again ...

I cant stop laughing at the bridge name.

Stirchley 07-05-19 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by 7thson (Post 2021904)
about to get on Throgs Neck bridge ...I cant stop laughing at the bridge name.
Named for the Throggs (two gees) Neck section of the Bronx, which was named for the 1st settler there - a British man named John Throckmorton.

7thson 07-05-19 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2021924)
a British man named John Throckmorton.
Hahahaha... even better.

7thson 07-07-19 09:24 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Behind a bunch so just going to post random pics :).

Marker near the end of an old stone pier, used to be correct border marker for Canada and US in Lubec Maine out on the water. The new boundry is further out, about 200 yards or so and is a bouy in the water.

My feet in the US and Canada (old Canada I guess)

Our dog Domino in the motel watching DuckTales,she is upset that we do not get Animal Planet here.

Sign you see here when you arrive on boat.

The lighthouse behind us is on the Canadian side.

Storm coming in from the North

Low tide. The difference here between tide lines can be as much as 25 feet deep.

View from hotel room.

In Mystic, CT

MovieGal 07-07-19 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by 7thson (Post 2015283)

Dev and I both ate conch for the first time ever today. She had fritters and I had fried, the flavor was really good but the texture was too weird for me, kinda like clam but too chewy. I was told it was prepared properly and that it was supposed to be this way. I believe them because there were so many people eating it and the place was rated the best for conch in the area. Well I can cross that off my list, but I a cool with passing on it next time.
My daughter went to Venice, FL last January with her boyfriend to see his mother. While she was there, she tried many seafood dishes that we don't get in the Midwest. She tried Conch soup and said it was really good. There were other things as well but I really don't remember them much.

gbgoodies 07-07-19 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by 7thson (Post 2021846)
Definitely , maybe I will try to get some video too.

If you want an easy way to take videos of your roadtrip, you can get a dash cam for your car. We recently bought a BlackWeb Dash Cam from Walmart for about $20. It came with an 8 GB memory card, but we bought a 32 GB card for it for a few dollars more.

And it has the added bonus of being a great addition to your car too. Less than a week after we bought the dash cam, the car in front of us was in a minor traffic accident, and we got the whole accident on video. The driver next to him went straight from a Right Turn Only lane, and caused the accident. (We emailed the video to guy in front of us for his insurance company.)

gbgoodies 07-07-19 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by 7thson (Post 2021904)

Passing Rikers Island and about to get on Throgs Neck bridge ...on the road again ...

I cant stop laughing at the bridge name.

When you took this picture, you were only a few miles from here. :)

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FrenchUniq...restricted.gif

7thson 07-07-19 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 2022243)
When you took this picture, you were only a few miles from here. :)

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FrenchUniq...restricted.gif
Cool, hi.

Was thinking of getting dash cam, will look more into it.

gbgoodies 07-07-19 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by 7thson (Post 2022250)
Cool, hi.

Was thinking of getting dash cam, will look more into it.

I think this is the dash cam we bought from Walmart. It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, and I'm sure there are better dash cams on the market, but this one does a nice job for around $20.

Blackweb Digital Dash cam With 1080P Camera And Sd Card

7thson 07-08-19 10:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We loved staying in Lubec.
A very interesting and welcoming place.
I keep wanting to pronounce it like the place in Texas. It is more like Loo beck.

On our way to Niagra this morning with a stop over at the haunted place in VT.

7thson 07-08-19 05:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Made it to The White House Inn. Interesting developement - 3 other guests cancled their reservation and we are only ones here. Innkeep gave me key, left and said enjoy. Not even any staff in the big place. I think its cool having it all to ourselves.

Creepy old lady walking around the place outside. Not going to see what she is doing lol. I know its sideways pic, but shes there :). Wife is not amused, but im sure its someine just looking around.

Stirchley 07-08-19 05:41 PM

Where is this place? How weird to leave you there alone. They sound super-trusting. Or just nuts!

7thson 07-08-19 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2022404)
Where is this place? How weird to leave you there alone. They sound super-trusting. Or just nuts!
I thought the same. I mean they do have my credit card info and license plate info. But still.

It is in Vermont and the place is actually very nice, real fireplace in room and awesome views. I guess they are just trusting or maybe feel confident the other "guests" will watch us ;).

7thson 07-08-19 08:26 PM

Ok there are bear cubs outside. Wife thinks they are cute and is out there looking for them now.
I said havent you seen The Revenant!!!!!

See if I can upload a picture, I was far away lol.

nebbit 07-08-19 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by 7thson (Post 2022442)
Ok there are bear cubs outside. Wife thinks they are cute and is out there looking for them now.
I said havent you seen The Revenant!!!!!
:laugh:

MovieGal 07-08-19 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by 7thson (Post 2022437)
I thought the same. I mean they do have my credit card info and license plate info. But still.

It is in Vermont and the place is actually very nice, real fireplace in room and awesome views. I guess they are just trusting or maybe feel confident the other "guests" will watch us ;).
"other guests".. perhaps the supernatural kind :eek::lol:

Stirchley 07-08-19 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by 7thson (Post 2022442)
Yikes, that’s dangerous. Mama bear will go mental!

7thson 07-08-19 10:54 PM

Been exploring the restvof the house. Really cool home and only thing a bit scary was a flickering light in basement and cold spots, but its a basement so no biggie. Creepy old pictures everywhere too. A lot of fun.

7thson 07-08-19 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2022449)
Yikes, that’s dangerous. Mama bear will go mental!
I was hiding in room looking out window with a firepoker in hand. Id like to think I would try to save her if mama came, but I cant promise what would have hapoened.

7thson 07-08-19 11:46 PM

4 Attachment(s)

Easternmost point in lower 48, got the South and the East, two more to go.

Lots of old pictures around here, this one creeped me out. Something over that babies shoulder I swear.

lenslady 07-09-19 01:02 AM

Jeepers Creepers - this part of the trip is haunted!!!
Alooonnnneeee in a big empty house with a strange old lady creeping around in the bushes !!! Lights flickering in the basement and cold spots in the floor!!!! Ghosts d ya hear me !!!! Haunted spirits !!!! What ' s that creaking sound ya hear???

And then - bears!!!!! And no kidding; a mama bear defending her cubs is more scary than that Bates motel you were staying in. Brrrrrrrrrr.

I guess ya got two big old dogs to defend y'all . But if the next place you stay in has a caretaker who bears an uncanny resemblance to Jack Nicholson, sitting in an armchair with an ax and watching Johnny Carson reruns- I say:
Get out!!!!!! Get out while you can!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

( ;) )

gbgoodies 07-09-19 01:13 AM

So you were left alone in a haunted inn with nobody around except a mysterious old lady walking around outside, bear cubs, creepy pictures, and things that go bump in the night?

I give you a lot of credit for staying there. I probably would have left before the staff did. :eek:

MijaFrost 07-09-19 02:11 AM

Do you see any cameras in the inn? It would explain why they are fine just leaving you there alone.

Did you have to pay a large security deposit?

7thson 07-09-19 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by MijaFrost (Post 2022497)
Do you see any cameras in the inn? It would explain why they are fine just leaving you there alone.

Did you have to pay a large security deposit?
No cameras that we saw, but those things can be hidden easily.
Nothing really happened overnight, we all actually slept really well. If anything is lurking around here they must have liked us.

We got a little scare this morning when we heard footsteps upstairs. But it was someone doing an early check in.

7thson 07-09-19 08:24 AM

https://youtu.be/fQ1fcdt0KRg

Made a video, nothing too exciting. The talking in background is my wife on speakerphone.

MijaFrost 07-09-19 09:54 PM

It was interesting to see what the basement looks like. If nothing else, it sounds like a fun experience to stay there. It makes it exciting when it seems like it's kinda haunted, lol. I've stayed at hotels like that before too...