Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Actors, Awards, & Directors (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Actors where you haven't liked a single movie of theirs (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=66927)

Iroquois 09-29-22 12:21 PM

Actors where you haven't liked a single movie of theirs

Your opinion on the actor and their performance isn't relevant, they just always happen to be in movies that you ultimately don't like.

My answer is James McAvoy.

Yoda 09-29-22 12:52 PM

This is a good thread, I'll have to think about my answer.

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2336327)
My answer is James McAvoy.
This is obviously surprising, but when I look at his filmography there's less there than I thought I'd remembered. I suppose his reputation outstrips his choices there, because he himself has been really good in otherwise meh films (Split being the clearest example).

For reference/others/whatever:

The Last King of Scotland
Atonement
X-Men: First Class

Iroquois 09-29-22 12:58 PM

Re: Actors where you haven't liked a single movie of theirs

My basic guideline is anything that's a
or lower is a film that I quote-unquote dislike overall regardless of individual strengths. Anyway, I predict a lot of low-hanging fruit answers like Sandler or Ferrell but maybe we'll get some interesting ones.

Miss Vicky 09-29-22 01:02 PM

Until a couple of years ago, I would've said Daniel Day Lewis.

But then I rewatched Gangs of New York for a HOF and it actually worked for me when it hadn't twice before (third time's a charm, I guess?). I think he's a gifted actor, but from what I've seen he doesn't seem to pick projects that I like.

Citizen Rules 09-29-22 01:04 PM

I'll go with Tarantino. He's no actor but he does appear in his movies in an acting role and I haven't liked a one of them.

Yoda 09-29-22 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2336365)
I'll go with Tarantino. He's no actor but he does appear in his movies in an acting role and I haven't liked a one of them.
Okay, so we might need a clarification: I read the title as being about whether we liked the movies, though this is about liking the performance in the movie.

Citizen Rules 09-29-22 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2336380)
Okay, so we might need a clarification: I read the title as being about whether we liked the movies, though this is about liking the performance in the movie.
I've disliked every movie I've seen Tarantino in.

Yoda 09-29-22 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2336381)
I thought this was crazy before I remembered that he doesn't actually do the Hitchcock thing and he's not in a lot of his films. He is in Pulp Fiction though, so my reaction is still: :eek: But just one :eek: instead of like :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Citizen Rules 09-29-22 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2336383)
I thought this was crazy before I remembered that he doesn't actually do the Hitchcock thing and he's not in a lot of his films. He is in Pulp Fiction though, so my reaction is still: :eek: But just one :eek: instead of like :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
I try to avoid Tarantino films whenever I can. He had fairly large acting roles in Pulp Fiction and Djano Unchained...IMDB list 39 acting credits for him though some are for voice acting or brief cameos. I'm not sure if he had any other substantial onscreen time in any other movies? Anyone know?

seanc 09-29-22 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2336381)
Alejandro Jodorosky. :) I think we might be missing the spirit of the question.

I racked my brain for this one and couldn’t come up with anyone. There are several I had to come around on but did in a big way usually. Henry Fonda, Burt Lancaster, and Gary Cooper jump to mind.

Citizen Rules 09-29-22 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 2336388)
Alejandro Jodorosky. :) I think we might be missing the spirit of the question.

I racked my brain for this one and couldn’t come up with anyone. There are several I had to come around on but did in a big way usually. Henry Fonda, Burt Lancaster, and Gary Cooper jump to mind.
No I'm not...at least I don't think I am.

Is not the question about actors who you don't like any of the movies they appear in?

seanc 09-29-22 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2336390)
No I'm not...at least I don't think I am.

Is not the question about actors who you don't like any of the movies they appear in?
It’s like you ate getting off on a technicality. Tarantino is not a performer. No one is casting Tarantino but Tarantino. The equivalent is if we switched director with actor in the thread title and I answered Ryan Gosling. I could technically answer that way but it’s really not what the OP is driving at.

Citizen Rules 09-29-22 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 2336392)
It’s like you ate getting off on a technicality. Tarantino is not a performer. No one is casting Tarantino but Tarantino. The equivalent is if we switched director with actor in the thread title and I answered Ryan Gosling. I could technically answer that way but it’s really not what the OP is driving at.
You're being hemmed in by your perceptions (we're all hemmed in by our perceptions in one way or another). Tarantino is my answer and I did clearly think it out before I answered. I've seen him act in two movies where he played substantial parts, I disliked both of those two movies, hence he's an actor where I haven't liked a single movie of his (that he acted in). You apparently thought I meant that I didn't like the movies Tarantino made and came to a conclusion I had guessed wrong, kind of funny actually:)

seanc 09-29-22 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2336394)
You're being hemmed in by your perceptions (we're all hemmed in by our perceptions in one way or another). Tarantino is my answer and I did clearly think it out before I answered. I've seen him act in two movies where he played substantial parts, I disliked both of those two movies, hence he's an actor where I haven't liked a single movie of his (that he acted in). You apparently thought I meant that I didn't like the movies Tarantino made and came to a conclusion I had guessed wrong, kind of funny actually:)
What do you mean “guessed wrong”?

cricket 09-29-22 01:59 PM

I'm sure I could pick out some no name but there's too many movies I like to pick out someone well known.

Citizen Rules 09-29-22 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 2336396)
What do you mean “guessed wrong”?
Geez Sean, chill bro🙂

My guess is that you guessed, that when I said Tarantino, that I was being clueless and didn't understand the question properly and had meant I disliked Tarantion's movies that he directed.

Torgo 09-29-22 02:12 PM

Charlie Hunnam and Gerard Butler. The closest I've come to liking either of their movies is Crimson Peak and RocknRolla, respectively, and yes, I think their performances are the worst things about each movie. Whenever I think about Gerard Butler, I think about him walking into his agent's office, sitting down and saying in his thick Scottish accent, "just give me the s***tiest scripts ya got."

seanc 09-29-22 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2336398)
Geez Sean, chill bro🙂

My guess is that you guessed, that when I said Tarantino, that I was being clueless and didn't understand the question properly and had meant I disliked Tarantion's movies that he directed.
I’m very chill just wasn’t sure what you meant by guessed.

For the record I knew exactly what you meant.

seanc 09-29-22 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Torgo (Post 2336404)
Charlie Hunnam and Gerard Butler. The closest I've come to liking either of their movies is Crimson Peak and RocknRolla, respectively, and yes, I think their performances are the worst things about each movie. Whenever I think about Gerard Butler, I think about him walking into his agent's office, sitting down and saying in his thick Scottish accent, "just give me the s***tiest scripts ya got."
Both of these are good ones, but I did like Hunnam in Lost City Of Z.

Haven’t liked Butler, but have only seen a couple as well.

The Rock might be a good one for me.

Citizen Rules 09-29-22 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 2336405)
I’m very chill just wasn’t sure what you meant by guessed.

For the record I knew exactly what you meant.
Fair enough. I believe you.

Gideon58 09-29-22 02:30 PM

First name that pops into my head on this topic is Gwyneth Paltrow...can't stand her.

Captain Steel 09-29-22 02:34 PM

I can't think of any. Although there are a few actors I dislike (for various reasons) I'll almost always find one movie they were in that I liked.

I disliked Alec Baldwin (long before his current troubles), yet I thought his small part in Glengarry Glen Ross was epic (just one example). It didn't hurt that his character was supposed to be an arrogant, heartless, antagonistic prick - so all he had to do was act like himself. ;) But it was the performance that was to be appreciated.

Due to rumors, bad press or bad behavior, I've had issues with people like Woody Allen, Christian Bale, Mel Gibson, Russell Crowe - yet some of these guys have made some of my favorite movies.

Captain Steel 09-29-22 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Gideon58 (Post 2336408)
First name that pops into my head on this topic is Gwyneth Paltrow...can't stand her.
I'm also not a fan of hers... and yet... one of my guilty pleasure comedies is Shallow Hal (2001).

And I liked the first Iron Man (2008) - although I would've been just as happy with someone else playing "Pepper". It's not like she "made" any of these movies for me, but conversely, her roles in them didn't ruin them for me either.

Torgo 09-29-22 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 2336406)
Both of these are good ones, but I did like Hunnam in Lost City Of Z.

Haven’t liked Butler, but have only seen a couple as well.

The Rock might be a good one for me.
I may be biased since I read the book and loved it, but I was disappointed in Lost City of Z. The one thing that struck me the most about Percy is how obsessed he is with the city. Hunnam didn't do a great job of conveying that if you ask me.

This is a tough question because I kept coming up with at least one movie. Surprisingly, I like Anne Hathaway, and maybe because it's since I haven't seen much, but I really only like one of her movies (Rachel Getting Married).

seanc 09-29-22 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Torgo (Post 2336411)
I may be biased since I read the book and loved it, but I was disappointed in Lost City of Z. The one thing that struck me the most about Percy is how obsessed he is with the city. Hunnam didn't do a great job of conveying that if you ask me.

This is a tough question because I kept coming up with at least one movie. Surprisingly, I like Anne Hathaway, and maybe because it's since I haven't seen much, but I really only like one of her movies (Rachel Getting Married).
I’m not a big Hathaway fan, but I do like a couple of her movies. Yes, even Interstellar.

I definitely heard that criticism of Lost City when it cane out, so you aren’t alone.

Anne Heche is another that came to mind when you mentioned Hathaway. I guess I think John Q is okay. I really dislike most of her movies though, and that one is on the bubble at best.

Citizen Rules 09-29-22 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 2336410)
I'm also not a fan of hers... and yet... one of my guilty pleasure comedies is Shallow Hal (2001).

And I liked the first Iron Man (2008) - although I would've been just as happy with someone else playing "Pepper". It's not like she "made" any of these movies for me, but conversely, her roles in them didn't ruin them for me either.
I really like Gwyneth Paltrow:) She was great in Shallow Hal, so was Jack Black

Gideon58 09-29-22 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 2336410)

I've never seen Shallow Hal. Like you, I liked Iron Man, but it had nothing to do with Paltrow.

beelzebubble 09-29-22 03:29 PM

I am going for the low-hanging fruit. The Rock and Vin Diesel. But they have never really been in anything I want to see except for some sci-fi.

MovieGal 09-29-22 04:00 PM

Bradley Cooper where I have to see his face!

seanc 09-29-22 04:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)

seanc 09-29-22 04:23 PM

I think I found a good one for me. Angelina Jolie. I like her too, she’s a strong screen presence with an atrocious filmography.

John-Connor 09-29-22 04:51 PM

On topic; Patrick Dempsey

Gwyneth Paltrow
Like: The Talented Mr. Ripley, Se7en

Dwayne Johnson
Like: Pain and Gain, Snitch

Angelina Jolie
Like: The Bone Collector, Wanted

James McAvoy
Like: X-Men: First Class, The Last King of Scotland

Charlie Hunnam
Like: The Lost City of Z, The Gentlemen

Vin Diesel
Like: Pitch Black, Find Me Guilty

Gerard Butler
Like: Law Abiding Citizen

Rockatansky 09-29-22 05:05 PM

I think Den of Thieves puts his talents to full use. He’s very funny and forceful in that movie in a way that really caught me off guard. Not at the same level, but it’s a Sandler in Uncut Gems situation where a role completely turns you around on a performer. The movie is a bit bloated, but worth a watch for his performance. “Oh ****, gimme the Pepto.”

Gideon58 09-29-22 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 2336449)
I think I found a good one for me. Angelina Jolie. I like her too, she’s a strong screen presence with an atrocious filmography.
Funny, I didn't even think about it until you said it, but it's true...Angelina Jolie is a really good actress who has been in a lot of crappy movies.

SuperMetro 09-29-22 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2336387)
I try to avoid Tarantino films whenever I can. He had fairly large acting roles in Pulp Fiction and Djano Unchained...IMDB list 39 acting credits for him though some are for voice acting or brief cameos. I'm not sure if he had any other substantial onscreen time in any other movies? Anyone know?
From Dusk Till Dawn is a known one(He was the writer too though). I never seen it, but he appeared in Destiny Turns On The Radio which probably was not received very well.

Citizen Rules 09-29-22 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by SuperMetro (Post 2336493)
From Dusk Till Dawn is a known one(He was the writer too though). I never seen it, but he appeared in Destiny Turns On The Radio which probably was not received very well.
Ah thanks! I guess that makes him a bonafide actor;)

Torgo 09-29-22 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Rockatansky (Post 2336465)
I think Den of Thieves puts his talents to full use. He’s very funny and forceful in that movie in a way that really caught me off guard. Not at the same level, but it’s a Sandler in Uncut Gems situation where a role completely turns you around on a performer. The movie is a bit bloated, but worth a watch for his performance. “Oh ****, gimme the Pepto.”
I heard he redeems himself in that one. Critic Mark Kermode rags on him as much as I do, but he also liked him in it and the movie, so I'd give it a chance. I've also heard good things about The Vanishing (2018).

Corax 09-29-22 08:42 PM

I can't remember seeing The Rock in any film that I think is really good, but I can't say that I hate all the films he's appeared in.

MovieGal 09-29-22 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2336394)
Tarantino is an actor, director and producer. Don't let anyone fool you.

Just like Eli Roth who I ❤️

@seanc you are nuts about Jodorowsky, he's f**king brilliant. And he acts too. He's the main character in El Topo and The Holy Mountain.

Just my opinion.

Citizen Rules 09-29-22 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 2336536)
Tarantino is an actor, director and producer. Don't let anyone fool you.

Just like Eli Roth who I ❤️

@seanc you are nuts about Jodorowsky, he's f**king brilliant. And he acts too. He's the main character in El Topo and The Holy Mountain.

Just my opinion.
Thank you MG.

gbgoodies 09-30-22 12:43 AM

I can't think of any actors that I haven't liked any of their movies. Even actors who I dislike have been in at least one or two movies that I've liked.

seanc 09-30-22 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 2336536)

Just my opinion.
Lets just say, I have seen them and that’s why I mentioned him.

interretiarius 09-30-22 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 2336550)
I can't think of any actors that I haven't liked any of their movies. Even actors who I dislike have been in at least one or two movies that I've liked.
Exactly the same with me.

Torgo 09-30-22 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2336427)
I really like Gwyneth Paltrow:) She was great in Shallow Hal, so was Jack Black
She's great in Two Lovers as well. This would be a good movie for those who don't like her to watch since she's not as Paltrow-y in it.

Citizen Rules 09-30-22 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Torgo (Post 2336632)
She's great in Two Lovers as well. This would be a good movie for those who don't like her to watch since she's not as Paltrow-y in it.
I'm planning on watching Contagion tonight, hopefully there's plenty-o-paltrow:p

I've not seen Two Lovers, looks interesting though.

ARGMAN 10-24-22 11:14 PM

Sean Connery. Only saw two though

Gideon58 11-12-22 02:25 PM

A movie I always suggest to Connery haters is a 1966 comedy called A Fine Madness...it's quite unlike anything he's ever done.

Captain Steel 11-12-22 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Gideon58 (Post 2345978)
A movie I always suggest to Connery haters is a 1966 comedy called A Fine Madness...it's quite unlike anything he's ever done.
Same with Zardoz... quite unlike anything he's ever done! ;)

Corax 11-12-22 08:30 PM

Mickey Rourke is pretty close to it for me. Name three great Mickey Rourke films off the top of your head.

Andy Dick? Jamie Kennedy? Paulie Shore? Megan Fox?

mattiasflgrtll6 11-12-22 08:44 PM

Year Of The Dragon, Sin City, The Wrestler. That was pretty easy.

Corax 11-12-22 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by mattiasflgrtll6 (Post 2346043)
Year Of The Dragon, Sin City, The Wrestler. That was pretty easy.

I thought Sin City was fun and that he did a solid job of making it fun. But is it great? And is Year of the Dragon even good?

Also, I think Barflies is underrated, but not great.

mattiasflgrtll6 11-12-22 09:05 PM

Year Of The Dragon is my favorite of those three, so definitely great in my opinion.

Iroquois 11-12-22 10:13 PM

I'd throw in Diner, Rumble Fish, and Angel Heart on top of those (I used to love Sin City when I was 15 but I'm all but certain it doesn't hold up nowadays).

mattiasflgrtll6 11-12-22 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by ARGMAN (Post 2342283)
Sean Connery. Only saw two though
What movies were those? The man has done so many classics that if you got a bad impression you were probably just unlucky. Most of his James Bond entries, The Untouchables, Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade for example I would highly recommend. I still have quite a few left I need to see as well.

This question is incredibly difficult to answer. Taylor Lautner is kind of a cheat I suppose since I only saw him in the Twilight series, but I have no interest in checking out his other work. The guy can't act to save his life.
Alex Kendrick makes your typical preachy propaganda targeted at Christians. Courageous had some potential, but ultimately was a pretentious bore with some weird underlying sexism, while Overcomer was not even ****ing watchable. You start counting down the minutes begging for the miserable experience to end.

And David A.R. White? The less said about him the better. Not only is he the crappiest of the actors I mentioned, but God's Not Dead and God's Not Dead 2 are the worst movies ever made. They make the viewer feel stupider afterwards for watching them.

Gideon58 11-12-22 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Corax (Post 2346040)
Mickey Rourke is pretty close to it for me. Name three great Mickey Rourke films off the top of your head.

Andy Dick? Jamie Kennedy? Paulie Shore? Megan Fox?

I gotta agree with Jamie Kennedy...it's no coincidence that it's been a minute since he's been in a movie. Son of the Mask placed #1 on my list of worst sequels.

mattiasflgrtll6 11-12-22 10:53 PM

Jamie Kennedy may not have a shining career, but Scream, Scream 2 and As Good As It Gets immediately makes it clear he got lucky a few times at least. Hell, he apparently even has an uncredited cameo in Dead Poets Society, which is one of the all-time best dramas. Of course I'm being really technical here, but still :p

Takoma11 11-12-22 11:01 PM

I know people already threw Lost City of Z your way, but I'm also a fan of the version of Nicholas Nickleby he starred in (which also features Jamie Bell, Jim Broadbent, Christopher Plummer, and a slew of other actors having a great old time).

For Butler, you know, I have this soft spot for him as a person because when I was in college I read some interview where he talked about his experiences with anxiety and it was just a "right place, right time" thing for me to read. Anyway, I agree that for the most part his filmography is . . . a bit yikes. He is in the How to Train Your Dragon films, and a decent thriller called Shattered.

Originally Posted by beelzebubble (Post 2336434)
I am going for the low-hanging fruit. The Rock and Vin Diesel. But they have never really been in anything I want to see except for some sci-fi.
But Vin Diesel was The Iron Giant!!! (And the Rock was was Maui in Moana!)

I honestly can't think of any myself. There are actors I don't like generally, but for each of them I can think of at least one movie they were in where I liked the film.

Torgo 11-13-22 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2346081)
For Butler, you know, I have this soft spot for him as a person because when I was in college I read some interview where he talked about his experiences with anxiety and it was just a "right place, right time" thing for me to read. Anyway, I agree that for the most part his filmography is . . . a bit yikes. He is in the How to Train Your Dragon films, and a decent thriller called Shattered.
Ooh, I totally disregarded animated movies when I answered this question. I love all three of the HTTYD movies and Butler's work as the King.

Hunnam, it's just you and me now, "buddy." :D

mattiasflgrtll6 11-13-22 02:52 PM

I liked him in Rock'n'Rolla (Despite finding the movie somewhat disappointing), How To Train Your Dragon and How To Train Your Dragon 3 (Haven't seen the second). But I never, EVER want to see him in a romantic comedy again after P.S. I Love You. His acting there made me cringe every single second.

MovieGal 11-13-22 03:24 PM

I like most every Gerard Butler film. I enjoy Dwayne Johnson as well except Central Intelligence (which they made him seem like on idiot. )

I love Gerard in the film version of Phantom of The Opera and "Has Fallen" series. Many say I would enjoy Machine Gun Preacher. I just haven't watched it yet.

I find D. Johnson films "entertaining ", not necessarily great.

beelzebubble 11-14-22 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2346081)

But Vin Diesel was The Iron Giant!!! (And the Rock was was Maui in Moana!)

I honestly can't think of any myself. There are actors I don't like generally, but for each of them I can think of at least one movie they were in where I liked the film.
Well I did like The Iron Giant. I didn't know Vin Diesel was the Iron Giant. So I stand corrected But haven't seen Moana yet.

John Dumbear 11-14-22 10:31 PM

This is really tough, racking my brain here. There are a handful of actors I hate, but they have been in at least one decent film.

Kid Dynamite 11-19-22 02:12 PM

Andy Dick

Siddon 11-26-22 05:18 PM

Harold Lloyd - I'm not a guy that hates silents but of all the silents I've seen from Lloyd I don't think I enjoyed a single one of them.

Bob Hope - Haven't seen a lot of Hope films but the ones I've seen I've found them unwatchable

Bill Cosby - Doesn't have the resume as Hope and Lloyd but most of his movies are absolute garbage.

Elvis - The rare case where I haven't seen a great Elvis film or a great film about Elvis