Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=62534)

Sedai 10-19-20 12:39 PM

Re: A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcram

With my family and I trying to cram as many hikes in before it gets too much colder, I have been slacking on my horror watching! Only got one film in this weekend - the so-bad-it's-good 80s flick, Witchboard.

SpelingError 10-19-20 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2133001)
The end of Viy is obviously the triumph of the film. It only barely even seems connected to everything that came before, which is so incredibly sober by comparison. So it's fair to think of it as a bit of an underwhelming build up if all you are waiting for is a parade of monsters. But it also sets the foundation for the manic climax to leap off from. While I'm a big fan of Evil Dead 2, which really is like the final twenty minutes of Viy stretched to full length feature, in retrospect I find it an exhausting film to watch. It barely even has any kind of reality to tether it to the ground. It is a living and breathing cartoon. Viy, at the very least, presents its fable as occuring in a recognizable world by slowly leading us to its last act insanity. So while all the preamble may not be nearly as much fun, it does feel like it serves a worthwhile function. And it all looks great, regardless.
Though I'm not as down on Evil Dead 2 as some people are, I prefer its approach by a decent margin. Don't get me wrong about Viy, I like how it starts out with a strong basis in reality as this makes certain scenes in the final act work really well. A lot of what goes on before that, however, contains so many scenes I find dull which don't sit well for me upon rewatches in comparison to the latter scenes. I prefer both Evil Dead 2 and, especially, ED 1, in terms of atmosphere.

Stirchley 10-19-20 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2132685)
Let’s not create conflict where none yet exists.

That said, I do try to cultivate respect through crippling fear whenever possible, so I still support the sentiment.
Yes, there’s nothing worse than receiving a PM from @Yoda informing me of my latest infraction. (Admittedly, it hasn’t happened for quite some time now.) :D

Thief 10-19-20 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Torgo (Post 2132971)
Thanks! I was hoping you saw that post. :)
I see that The Tingler is on TCM this week. Will DVR.
Fun film, if only for trying to imagine the audience reactions to the last act :D

MadMan_731 10-19-20 03:20 PM

I liked Viy but I didn't love it. Same goes for The Tingler. I love Evil Dead II, though.

WHITBISSELL! 10-19-20 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Torgo (Post 2132971)
Thanks! I was hoping you saw that post. :)
I see that The Tingler is on TCM this week. Will DVR.
They'll be running a bunch of great oldies for October. I already DVR'd Twice Told Tales (which I've never seen) and Black Sabbath (which I watched last Halloween but feel a strong need to rewatch.)

Rockatansky 10-19-20 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2132973)
A curse upon 1980s poster artists for enticing me to watch so much garbage!

Some of my favorite quotes from The Black Cat:
"After all, it is much better to be frightened than crushed" - Lugosi
"The phones are dead....even the phones are dead..." - Karloff

"Have you ever heard of Kurgaal? It is a prison below Omsk. Many men have gone there. Few have returned. I have returned. After fifteen years... I have returned."

Legit had chills during this scene. God tier line delivery from the man Bela Lugosi.

Rockatansky 10-19-20 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by pahaK (Post 2132912)
Oh yeah, Paganini Horror is quite bad. I watched it last year for the Halloween challenge and wrote this:
I have an inexplicable affinity for movies where characters wander through creepy corridors so I didn't haaaaaate it, but yeah, not nearly enough cool stuff happens. Paganini doesn't even look like he does on the poster!

Rockatansky 10-19-20 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Wooley (Post 2132977)
I really think The Black Cat (1934) is an overlooked gem.
I don't know if I'm just high off my viewing two days ago and maybe I've been tuning out all the mentions over the years, but this is absolutely a top tier horror movie.

I'm thinking I'm gonna have to squeeze in another Bela/Boris teamup this month.

Deschain 10-20-20 02:23 AM

I watched Boar, about a giant boar terrorizing a small Australian town. Standard monster fare if a bit too leisurely paced. The cast is charming though especially Rictus from Fury Road. I was expecting a bad CG monster but aside from a few shots it’s mostly done with animatronics and puppetry. And for a big animal that’s constantly breaking branches and making grunting noises it sure is good at sneaking up on people.

I also watched Vampires vs The Bronx. So Netflix wanted their own Attack the Block. This was cute.

Wooley 10-20-20 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Rockatansky (Post 2133242)
I don't know if I'm just high off my viewing two days ago and maybe I've been tuning out all the mentions over the years, but this is absolutely a top tier horror movie.

Ooh! The Body Snatcher.

Torgo 10-20-20 09:00 AM

Dagon -

Not to take away from Forrest and Jenny, but he and H.P. Lovecraft really go together like peas and carrots. Like he did in his other Lovecraft adaptations, Gordon respects the source material without alienating Lovecraft amateurs and makes a movie that is a blast to watch. I like how the slightly fisheye (no pun intended) lens and unsteady camera put you in Marsh's shoes and amplify his confusion and desperation. It helps that Ezra Godden - who was inspired by Harold Lloyd, but he might as well have been channeling Gordon muse Jeffrey Combs - is so expressive. I was also impressed with Francisco Rabal (R.I.P). and Macarena Gómez as Paul's would-be mate Uxia, who made her feature-film debut in this movie and has deservedly had a successful career since. Not to mention, if you also enjoy Gordon's movies for their laughs as much as their scares, you'll find them here, especially during a scene with a not-so-responsive innkeeper and the reveal of Uxia's...umm...condition. The production does not have a huge budget, and while some of the special effects like the underwater scenes and the one in the flooded house hold up, others are as shoddy as ones in the typical SyFy original movie. Also, Gordon's more perverse tendencies are often a boon - see Re-Animator and Castle Freak - but they do not always work in this movie's favor. It's still as enjoyable as the typical Gordon movie and is bound to please those who are new to or familiar with his or Lovecraft's work. Just be warned that you may be compelled to cancel any upcoming lake or beach trips after you watch it.

Rockatansky 10-20-20 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Wooley (Post 2133296)
Ooh! The Body Snatcher.
Dug that one when I saw it a few years ago, might be due for a rewatch. Boris really got under my skin in that one.

Captain Terror 10-20-20 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Rockatansky (Post 2133242)
some thoughts:

For Karloff and Lugosi going head-to-head I'd go with The Raven ('34) or The Invisible Ray, which is more sci-fi than horror but still kinda cool.

Body Snatcher: Probably my favorite Karloff role, but Bela is stuck with a too-minor character. (watch it anyway!)
Son of Frankenstein: Probably my favorite Lugosi role, but Karloff's monster is reduced to a mute zombie. (watch it anyway!)
Black Friday is a gangster film which I've seen multiple times but can't remember any of it to save my life.

Captain Terror 10-20-20 10:13 AM

https://youtu.be/U3qGwCPKhdI

Well this is a helluva thing! By far the goriest thing I've ever seen from the 1930s. (from Italy, natch) I feel like this needs to be way more famous/infamous.

It's silent and 12 minutes long so for those not familiar with Poe's short story this may be hard to follow. Short version: Dying man agrees to be hypnotized at the moment of death in an attempt to forestall his demise, but there's an unforeseen glitch in the plan. Those of you who've read it know what's coming but I was not prepared for how gruesome this was going to be. Or for the camera to just stay on it in closeup. This must have traumatized some folks back in the day.

Also lots of wacky lighting and dutch angles which I'm always up for.

Wooley 10-20-20 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Rockatansky (Post 2133303)
Dug that one when I saw it a few years ago, might be due for a rewatch. Boris really got under my skin in that one.
I think it might be the best performance of his career.

Wooley 10-20-20 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2133307)
some thoughts:

Body Snatcher: Probably my favorite Karloff role, but Bela is stuck with a too-minor character. (watch it anyway!)
Son of Frankenstein: Probably my favorite Lugosi role, but Karloff's monster is reduced to a mute zombie. (watch it anyway!)
I agree in both cases, but any time I get a chance to recommend The Body Snatcher, I do.
And I love that the guy who directed it also did The Sound Of Music and Star Trek: The Motion Picture. (The historic masterpiece, West Side Story, aside, because it's not as funny as the tBS/TSoM/Star Trek triple-shot.)

WHITBISSELL! 10-20-20 01:30 PM

Black Sabbath - Watched this just last year around this time but felt the pull to re-watch, I suppose because of Mario Bava's involvement. It's an anthology and starts out with my #2 The Drop of Water, about a nurse that steals a dead medium's property and ends up paying for it. Then there's my 3rd ranked The Telephone about a woman receiving mysterious phone calls from someone she thought was dead. The last one and my favorite is The Wurdalak, (which incidentally is now my favorite vampire moniker over stuff like der Vampyr, the undead, ghoul, bloodsucker or Mitch McConnell). Boris Karloff plays the patriarch of an 1800's Russian family who sets out to kill a local bandit that's been terrorizing the countryside. He's rumored to be a Wurdalak and when Karloff shows up at their home after five days they know somethings up. I'd like to check out the Bava's original Italian version. 80/100

Captain Terror 10-20-20 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by WHITBISSELL! (Post 2133345)
Black Sabbath -
#2 The Drop of Water
3rd ranked The Telephone
my favorite is The Wurdalak
This is the correct ranking. :yup:👍

John Dumbear 10-20-20 01:59 PM

Just wandered in from the cold. Just another hungry transient thrown out into the street by Uncle Corrie.

Can I enter and have a bowl of soup?

Thief 10-20-20 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by John Dumbear (Post 2133347)
Just wandered in from the cold. Just another hungry transient thrown out into the street by Uncle Corrie.

Can I enter and have a bowl of soup?
https://media1.tenor.com/images/3c0c...9c22/tenor.gif

AgrippinaX 10-20-20 02:08 PM

I just read a piece of research that suggested Sinister is ‘objectively’ the scariest film of all time, because it elicited the strongest physiological response. It’s said to be on account of the jump scares and the soundtrack with heavy beats. I do remember it being reasonably disturbing, if average in terms of narrative. Still, rather odd, huh?

TheUsualSuspect 10-20-20 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by AgrippinaX (Post 2133349)
I just read a piece of research that suggested Sinister is ‘objectively’ the scariest film of all time, because it elicited the strongest physiological response. It’s said to be on account of the jump scares and the soundtrack with heavy beats. I do remember it being reasonably disturbing, if average in terms of narrative. Still, rather odd, huh?
That film has an unusually large fanbase. I thought it was pretty basic run of the mill horror.

AgrippinaX 10-20-20 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 2133351)
That film has an unusually large fanbase. I thought it was pretty basic run of the mill horror.
Yeah, likewise.

Thief 10-20-20 02:35 PM

Yeah, same here. I would say the same about many of those "recent" horror thrillers like The Conjuring and Insidious, which I usually get mixed up.

TheUsualSuspect 10-20-20 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2133359)
Yeah, same here. I would say the same about many of those "recent" horror thrillers like The Conjuring and Insidious, which I usually get mixed up.
James Wan directed both so it makes sense people might mix them up. I love The Conjuring movies and thought Insidious was a decent attempt at shaking things up a bit.

Thief 10-20-20 02:57 PM

I *hated* Insidious. However, I don't remember anything about The Conjuring other than it stars Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson (who was also in Insidious!)

crumbsroom 10-20-20 03:16 PM

I will sit out the James Wan conversation.

*twiddles thumbs anxiously*

Captain Terror 10-20-20 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2133375)

https://media1.giphy.com/media/xUOxf...NAI/source.gif

SpelingError 10-20-20 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2133375)

That means you're a huge fan of him, right?

TheUsualSuspect 10-20-20 05:42 PM

I'd consider myself a fan of his. Always look forward to what he has to offer in the horror genre. Same with Mike Flanagan, Ari Aster and Robert Eggers.

Neil Marshall needs a rebound after the latest Hellboy movie.

Captain Terror 10-20-20 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 2133432)
Man I keep forgetting this even exists. I haven't heard anything good but I still intend to watch it one of these days, just cause I'm loyal that way.

Cobra 10-20-20 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 2133432)
I hated that film, disgrace to the original Hellboy movie and comics.

Sedai 10-20-20 06:23 PM

Wan is hit and miss for me. Pretty sure he was behind the first Saw flick, which I abhor. That said, The Conjuring was definitely a step up for him. I think it says quite a bit about contemporary horror when a guy like Wan manages to up his quality considerably by reverting to style and technique from the 70s...

WHITBISSELL! 10-20-20 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2133346)
This is the correct ranking. :yup:👍
You must have really been underwhelmed by Wurdalak because I thought Telephone came off a bit too generic. That's why I want to see the original Italian version. From what I've read the studio really messed with it and turned it into just another stalker story, albeit one of the first.

Captain Terror 10-20-20 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by WHITBISSELL! (Post 2133450)
You must have really been underwhelmed by Wurdalak because I thought Telephone came off a bit too generic. That's why I want to see the original Italian version. From what I've read the studio really messed with it and turned it into just another stalker story, albeit one of the first.
No, I meant I agree with your rankings. Wurdalak is my favorite thing ever.

WHITBISSELL! 10-20-20 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2133457)
No, I meant I agree with your rankings. Wurdalak is my favorite thing ever.
:blush: Whoops. My bad.

Takoma11 10-20-20 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Torgo (Post 2133301)
Dagon -

Not to take away from Forrest and Jenny, but he and H.P. Lovecraft really go together like peas and carrots. Like he did in his other Lovecraft adaptations, Gordon respects the source material without alienating Lovecraft amateurs and makes a movie that is a blast to watch. I like how the slightly fisheye (no pun intended) lens and unsteady camera put you in Marsh's shoes and amplify his confusion and desperation. It helps that Ezra Godden - who was inspired by Harold Lloyd, but he might as well have been channeling Gordon muse Jeffrey Combs - is so expressive. I was also impressed with Francisco Rabal (R.I.P). and Macarena Gómez as Paul's would-be mate Uxia, who made her feature-film debut in this movie and has deservedly had a successful career since. Not to mention, if you also enjoy Gordon's movies for their laughs as much as their scares, you'll find them here, especially during a scene with a not-so-responsive innkeeper and the reveal of Uxia's...umm...condition. The production does not have a huge budget, and while some of the special effects like the underwater scenes and the one in the flooded house hold up, others are as shoddy as ones in the typical SyFy original movie. Also, Gordon's more perverse tendencies are often a boon - see Re-Animator and Castle Freak - but they do not always work in this movie's favor. It's still as enjoyable as the typical Gordon movie and is bound to please those who are new to or familiar with his or Lovecraft's work. Just be warned that you may be compelled to cancel any upcoming lake or beach trips after you watch it.
I haven't seen it since it first came out (2001?), but I felt pretty much the same way.

I wonder if those responses were short or long term. Yes, if you make me jump my heart rate might go up for a few minutes. The same thing is true when I trip over a stray walnut in the dark--doesn't mean it's an expertly crafted scare. I hardly remember The Conjuring, a film that placed very high on the list. To me, a scary movie is the one that I'm thinking about a month after watching it.

AgrippinaX 10-20-20 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2133465)
I wonder if those responses were short or long term. Yes, if you make me jump my heart rate might go up for a few minutes. The same thing is true when I trip over a stray walnut in the dark--doesn't mean it's an expertly crafted scare.
I was under the impression it was short-term response, including during the viewing itself. I don’t think the heart rate would apply for long-term. I appreciate it’s a myopic way of judging response, but for me, a spiked heart rate from a film would be a pretty big deal - and that’s exactly what I seem to remember from Sinister, especially when the entity’s face suddenly appears in videos or moves in drawings/photos. Anyway, while I understand that, I’d never in a million years place Sinister at the top of the list.

I hardly remember The Conjuring, a film that placed very high on the list. To me, a scary movie is the one that I'm thinking about a month after watching it.
I’m with you a 100% on that. I quite like The Conjuring and feel it’s very stylish, but it doesn’t feel like a horror film to me - and I definitely don’t think back to it unless I’m in a thread like this one.

Rockatansky 10-21-20 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2133428)
That means you're a huge fan of him, right?
I think I finally cracked why Crumbsroom feels the way he does about The Conjuring.

Crumbsroom: "Popcorn, I'm depressed. No movie seems scary anymore."

Popcorn Reviews: "Treatment is simple. Great director James Wan is in town tonight. Go and see his new scary movie. That should pick you up."

Crumbsroom: "But Popcorn...I am James Wan!"

Rockatansky 10-21-20 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2133435)
Man I keep forgetting this even exists. I haven't heard anything good but I still intend to watch it one of these days, just cause I'm loyal that way.
There's a pretty good Baba Yaga scene and Milla Jovovich is fun. Not a great movie and reeks of obvious studio interference, but with my extremely lowered expectations I didn't mind it.

Captain Terror 10-21-20 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Rockatansky (Post 2133539)
There's a pretty good Baba Yaga scene
Sold

Deschain 10-21-20 02:26 AM

I watched Mohawk. A couple streaming services labeled this as horror but it’s more of a cat and mouse thriller. In this, Americans are portrayed as the villains while Native Americans and the British are heroes during the War of 1812, which I’ve never seen before. It makes do with its modest budget and mostly succeeds in what it’s trying to do.

I also watched Tremors Shrieker Island. My undying love for the first film means I’m destined to watch as many terrible sequels as they churn out. This one actually felt like it had a budget and a vision after the dreadful ****ing ice movie that was the last one. Otherwise it’s more of the same.

WHITBISSELL! 10-21-20 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Deschain (Post 2133545)
I also watched Tremors Shrieker Island. My undying love for the first film means I’m destined to watch as many terrible sequels as they churn out. This one actually felt like it had a budget and a vision after the dreadful ****ing ice movie that was the last one. Otherwise it’s more of the same.
Woah, there's a new Tremors movie out? I'm like you, I've seen every single one. Even the Jamie Kennedy ones. As long as Michael Gross is in it I'll keep watching.

Wooley 10-21-20 08:09 AM

That's very funny because, when I panned that film over on the Corrierino last year, one of my issues was actually how it had been built up as this incredibly scary movie and how it failed to deliver on that.
And people said, "Well where did you hear that? I don't remember hearing that so that's not a fair point." And here you are.
Yes, it is one of the jump-scare heaviest horror movies I've seen with the music stabs and all, but that didn't amount to much for me and it certainly didn't scare me. Especially with the villain looking like somebody from Slipknot.

Jinnistan 10-21-20 08:54 AM

Sinister would have been a lot better if it hadn't so aggressively **** its bed at the end.

And to think that people used to complain about Argento's landings. :suspicious:

Jinnistan 10-21-20 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2132843)
Rewatched this one over the summer. Roeg is an unsung master.

AgrippinaX 10-21-20 09:05 AM

I think you’re both right, @Jinnistan and @Wooley, I seem to remember it was way overhyped - it was probably the only time I’ve seen the R-rating actually enforced, IDs and all. I do feel that with horror you do very rarely get films that are both hyped and deliver. Hereditary was being sold as the ‘scariest’ film to date, and few would argue that it’s not at least creepy and well-constructed, narrative-wise.

crumbsroom 10-21-20 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jinnistan (Post 2133602)
Rewatched this one over the summer. Roeg is an unsung master.
In regards to Don't Look Now, I've seen it now maybe four or five times, and I don't think I've ever once had the exact same impression of it. It has the good taste to not latch itself onto any one emotional state. It seems to shape shift along with my own personal moods, even while it always remains objectively the same film.

Jinnistan 10-21-20 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding (Post 2132925)
It's exciting to see such an influx of fresh blood, especially with so many of you being horror fans. A shame none of you were here when we redid our MoFo Horror Countdown last year.
Many of us are still traumatized with our efforts at our RT 100 Greatest Films and 100 Greatest Horror threads being flushed down the toilet. And even with Rockatansky unearthing the latter at Corrie, now being flushed twice.

But I'd rather light a candle than curse the darkness. Even though there's a number of quibbles I personally have with the final results, for posterity, and comparison, here's the final tally of our Horror list:

100. Trick 'r' Treat
99. Interview with the Vampire
98. Cemetery Man
97. Tremors
96-95 (tie). Onibaba/Ghostbusters
94. Possession
93. Ringu
92. Zombieland
91. The Vanishing (88)
90. The Host
89. The Ring (02)
88-87 (tie) Lake Mungo/Martin
86. The Abominable Dr. Phibes
85. The Invisible Man (33)
84. Drag Me To Hell
83-82 (tie) Misery/The Sixth Sense
81. Gremlins
80. The Cabin in the Woods
79. [REC]
78. Black Sunday (60)
77. The Thing From Another World
76-75 (tie) King Kong (33)/Dawn of the Dead (04)
74-72 (tie) The Babadook/Fright Night (85)/Videodrome
71. Creepshow
70. Haxan
69-68 (tie). The Devil's Backbone/Nosferatu (79)
67. Curse of the Demon
66. Repulsion
65. Army of Darkness
64. House (77)
63. Predator
62. I Walked with a Zombie
61. The Lost Boys
60. Triangle
59. Brain Dead (Dead Alive)
58. Christine
57. Godzilla (54)
56. The Fog (80)
55. Cat People (42)
54. Don't Look Now
53. Candyman
52. Aliens
51. From Dusk Till Dawn
50. Dracula (31)
49. Kwaidan
48. Horror of Dracula
47. Vampyr
46. Peeping Tom
45. Hellraiser
44. Se7en
43. The Innocents (60)
42. The Phantom of the Opera (25)
41. The Blair Witch Project
40. Carrie (76)
39. The Haunting (63)
38. The Descent
37. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
36. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (56)
35. The Bride of Frankenstein
34. The Omen (76)
33. The Wicker Man (73)
32. The Birds
31. Scream
30. Re-animator
29. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (78)
28. Eyes Without a Face
27. The Return of the Living Dead
26. Black Christmas (74)
25. The Evil Dead
24. 28 Days Later
23. Suspiria (77)
22. Freaks
21. Let the Right One In
20. Shaun of the Dead
19. Poltergeist (82)
18. Evil Dead II
17. Nosferatu (22)
16. A Nightmare on Elm Street (84)
15. Dawn of the Dead (78)
14. The Fly (86)
13. Rosemary's Baby
12. Frankenstein (31)
11. An American Werewolf in London
10. The Silence of the Lambs
9. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
8. Night of the Living Dead (68)
7. The Shining
6. Halloween (78)
5. Jaws
4. The Exorcist
3. The Thing (82)
2. Psycho (60)
1. Alien

Torgo 10-21-20 10:33 AM

I am happy to report that I saved the Rotten Tomatoes 100 Greatest Films list. I even saved the days on which they were posted! Thankfully, I didn't save my odd and pretentious thoughts on Apocalypse Now, which make mention of the Blue-Footed booby for some reason (don't ask).

While this is off-topic, here's the list anyway:

~~ DAY THREE ~~

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick, 1968)
2. Apocalypse Now (Francis Ford Coppola, 1979)
3. The Godfather (Francis Ford Coppola, 1972)
4. Rear Window (Alfred Hitchcock, 1954)
5. Mulholland Dr. (David Lynch, 2001)
6. Raiders of the Lost Ark (Steven Spielberg, 1981)
7. Jaws (Steven Spielberg, 1975)
8. Taxi Driver (Martin Scorsese, 1976)
9. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (Sergio Leone, 1966)
10. Casablanca (Michael Curtiz, 1942)

11. Alien (Ridley Scott, 1979)
12. Goodfellas (Martin Scorsese, 1976)
13. Vertigo (Alfred Hitchcock, 1958)
14. The Third Man (Carol Reed, 1949)
15. Lawrence of Arabia (David Lean, 1962)
16. The Fellowship of the Ring (Peter Jackson, 2001)
17. There Will Be Blood (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2007)
18. Pulp Fiction (Quentin Tarantino, 1994)
19. Psycho (Alfred Hitchcock, 1960)
20. The Shining (Stanley Kubrick, 1980)

~~ DAY TWO ~~

21. Dr. Strangelove (Stanley Kubrick, 1964)
22. Blade Runner (Ridley Scott, 1982)
23. A Clockwork Orange (Stanley Kubrick, 1971)
24. The Empire Strikes Back (Irvin Kershner, 1980)
25. The Godfather Part II (Francis Ford Coppola, 1974)
26. Citizen Kane (Orson Welles, 1941)
27. Fargo (The Coen Brothers, 1996)
28. 12 Angry Men (Sidney Lumet, 1957)
29. Stalker (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1979)
30. The Seven Samurai (Akira Kurosawa, 1954)

31. The Shawshank Redemption (Frank Darabont, 1994)
32. No Country for Old Men (The Coen Brothers, 2007)
33. Back to the Future (Robert Zemeckis, 1985)
34. 8 1/2 (Federico Fellini, 1963)
35. The Seventh Seal (Ingmar Bergman, 1957)
36. The Big Lebowski (The Coen Brothers, 1997)
37. The Passion of Joan of Arc (Carl Theodor Dreyer, 1928)
38. Schindler's List (Steven Spielberg, 1993)
39. Once Upon a Time in the West (Sergio Leone, 1968)
40. The Assassination of Jesse James... (Andrew Dominik, 2007)

41. Chinatown (Roman Polanski, 1974)
42. Terminator 2: Judgment Day (James Cameron, 1991)
43. The Thing (John Carpenter, 1982)
44. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Jones & Gilliam, 1975)
45. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Michel Gondry, 2004)
46. City Lights (Charles Chaplin, 1931)
47. On the Waterfront (Elia Kazan, 1954)
48. Persona (Ingmar Bergman, 1966)
49. The Silence of the Lambs (Jonathan Demme, 1991)
50. Sunset Blvd. (Billy Wilder, 1950)

~~ DAY ONE ~~

51. Memento (Christopher Nolan, 2000)
52. Raging Bull (Martin Scorsese, 1980)
53. L. A. Confidential (Curtis Hanson, 1997)
54. Rashomon (Akira Kurosawa, 1950)
55. Blue Velvet (David Lynch, 1986)
56. Eyes Wide Shut (Stanley Kubrick, 1999)
57. Seven (David Fincher, 1995)
58. The Tree of Life (Terrence Malick, 2011)
59. Pan's Labyrinth (Guillermo del Toro, 2006)
60. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Milos Forman, 1975)

61. Paris, Texas (Wim Wenders, 1984)
62. M (Fritz Lang, 1931)
63. Aguirre the Wrath of God (Werner Herzog, 1972)
64. Aliens (James Cameron, 1986)
65. Children of Men (Alfonso Cuaron, 2006)
66. Shaun of the Dead (Edgar Wright, 2004)
67. Boogie Nights (Paul Thomas Anderson, 1997)
68. Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2011)
69. Barry Lyndon (Stanley Kubrick, 1975)
70. Heat (Michael Mann, 1995)

71. The Wizard of Oz (Victor Fleming, 1939)
72. Die Hard (John McTiernan, 1988)
73. F for Fake (Orson Welles, 1973)
74. The Matrix (The Wachowskis, 1999)
75. The Graduate (Mike Nichols, 1975)

76. Once Upon a Time in America (Sergio Leone, 1984)
77. Amadeus (Milos Forman, 1984)
78. The Thin Red Line (Terrence Malick, 1998)
79. Double Indemnity (Billy Wilder, 1944)
80. Bicycle Thieves (Vittorio de Sica, 1948)

81. Fight Club (David Fincher, 1999)
82. Sunrise (F. W. Murnau, 1927)
83. La Dolce Vita (Federico Fellini, 1960)
84. Touch of Evil (Orson Welles, 1958)
85. American Beauty (Sam Mendes, 1999)
86. Days of Heaven (Terrence Malick, 1978))
87. Brazil (Terry Gilliam, 1984)
88. Network (Sidney Lumet, 1976)
89. The Dark Knight (Christopher Nolan, 2008)
90. Amelie (Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 2001)

91. Requiem for a Dream (Darren Aronofsky, 2000)
92. Star Wars (George Lucas, 1977)
93. Ikiru (Akira Kurosawa, 1952)
94a. Annie Hall (Woody Allen, 1977)
94b. Spirited Away (Hiyao Miyazaki, 2001)
96. Metropolis (Fritz Lang, 1927)
97. Unforgiven (Clint Eastwood, 1992)
98. Rosemary's Baby (Roman Polanski, 1968)
99. Three Colors: Red (Kyrzysztof Kieslowski, 1994)
100. The Red Shoes (Powell & Pressburger, 1948)

Wooley 10-21-20 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2133359)
I actually thought both of those films were significantly better than Sinister, which was a real disappointment to me.

Iroquois 10-21-20 10:44 AM

Only just checked this thread and realised it was being used for general horror purposes, so I guess I'll just drop a quick run-down on everything I've seen this October. Blue for new, red for repeats...

Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 - On some level, I have to respect the audacity of following up a groundbreaking film with an aggressively conventional sequel, but that doesn't mean it's good.

C.H.U.D. - Not without its low-rent charm (especially the '80s New York location shooting), but I didn't care for it.

Cube 2: Hypercube - I'm kind of a sucker for how this messes around with time and space, but beyond that it's a pale imitation of its predecessor.

The Descent - On the one hand, effective use of claustrophobia and monsters. On the other, pretty unsatisfying on a plot/character level. I'm calling it a wash.

The Devil's Candy - You'd think it would be easy to mash up metal with horror, and yet...

Eaten Alive - I know I shouldn't expect every Hooper film to match TCSM but man, when he misses, he misses.

Evil Dead II - "Groovy."

Exorcist II: The Heretic As far as "worst movies ever" go, you can do much worse. Still not much to recommend about it, though.

The Fog (2005) - Easily the worst Carpenter remake to date. At least when Rob Zombie changed up Halloween, he did it with purpose.

The Fury - DePalma overextends himself by trying to mash up Carrie with more Hitchcockian material. Not enough psychic explosions.

Galaxy of Terror - Corman-produced Alien knock-off. At least it's not boring.

The Girl With All The Gifts - The Last of Us? Never heard of it. Still novel enough.

The New Mutants - Maybe there's a way to make a superhero-themed horror movie that works, but this ain't it.

Nightmare Beach - Very Italian, for better and for worse.

A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) - Dour, ugly, and unimaginative. The Halloween remake is looking better all the time.

Petey Wheatstraw - Dolemite goes to hell and meets the devil. Hilarity ensues (if not necessarily fear).

Saw II - An excellent reminder why I wasn't bothering to keep up with this franchise.

Shadow of the Vampire - Huh, turns out that high concept isn't that interesting. Still gets by on performances, though.

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre - Hooper was always the best with the saw.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 - Maybe one of the best "part two" movies in horror. Also has a chainsaw duel 32 years before Mandy.

Thinner - Exists at that weird spot where the threat is at once too ridiculous to take seriously and too serious to laugh at, so...*shrug*

When A Stranger Calls (1976) - Very surprised that the whole movie does not take place inside the house, which is a shame because that's the only good part of the movie.

Wishmaster - Reads like off-brand Hellraiser with its demonic villain and penchant for gore, but at least it knows how to have fun with itself.

Wishmaster 2: Evil Never Dies - A tangibly inferior sequel in just about every way, though not without its moments.

Wooley 10-21-20 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jinnistan (Post 2133599)
Sinister would have been a lot better if it hadn't so aggressively **** its bed at the end.

And to think that people used to complain about Argento's landings. :suspicious:
Argento lands?

Jinnistan 10-21-20 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Wooley (Post 2133625)
Argento lands?
*chimp-stab*

Jinnistan 10-21-20 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2133609)
In regards to Don't Look Now, I've seen it now maybe four or five times, and I don't think I've ever once had the exact same impression of it. It has the good taste to not latch itself onto any one emotional state. It seems to shape shift along with my own personal moods, even while it always remains objectively the same film.
You've mentioned the editing, and Roeg has both a signature editing style and one of the most experimental, and I agree with admiring the way the quick cuts in this film directly reflect the psychological repression of trauma.

(Also, the rumor is that it was the love scene here which made Warren Beatty break-up wih Julie Christie. Why is it always the most promiscuous men who are also the most jealous?)

AgrippinaX 10-21-20 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2133623)
Evil Dead II - "Groovy."
Never thought we’re very likely to agree on a rating, but I second that a 100%, a surprisingly solid sequel.

Iroquois 10-21-20 11:06 AM

It's an undeniable film.

Thief 10-21-20 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Wooley (Post 2133622)
I actually thought both of those films were significantly better than Sinister, which was a real disappointment to me.
I'm actually questioning now if I ever saw The Conjuring. It's all a blur.

Yoda 10-21-20 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2133632)
It's an undeniable film.
"Undeniably a film." - greatest poster quote of all time.

crumbsroom 10-21-20 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2133633)
I'm actually questioning now if I ever saw The Conjuring. It's all a blur.

Sounds like a pretty accurate summation of the film.

Thief 10-21-20 11:28 AM

Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 - On some level, I have to respect the audacity of following up a groundbreaking film with an aggressively conventional sequel, but that doesn't mean it's good.
This remains one of the worst films I've ever seen. I mean, I'm a fan of the original, but I doubt that I'd think any different even if I wasn't.

The Descent - On the one hand, effective use of claustrophobia and monsters. On the other, pretty unsatisfying on a plot/character level. I'm calling it a wash.
I'm a fan of this. To me, it's one of the best horror films of the last 20 years.

Evil Dead II - "Groovy."
*sigh* This, and the couple of responses you got for this, is what makes me wonder if there's something wrong with me. Didn't like it, didn't like the first one, and didn't like Drag Me to Hell. What can I say?

Saw II - An excellent reminder why I wasn't bothering to keep up with this franchise.
This is another one we agree. I have some respect for the first one, and I think it's pretty solid. Even if the premise doesn't hold up to much scrutiny, it did caught me by surprise. But everything went downhill after that. I quit after the third one.

Shadow of the Vampire - Huh, turns out that high concept isn't that interesting. Still gets by on performances, though.
I agree, but like you say, it's worth a watch just for the crazy premise and Malkovich/Dafoe.

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre - Hooper was always the best with the saw.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 - Maybe one of the best "part two" movies in horror. Also has a chainsaw duel 32 years before Mandy.
Agree on both. TCM is my favorite horror film.

SpelingError 10-21-20 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Torgo (Post 2133619)
I am happy to report that I saved the Rotten Tomatoes 100 Greatest Films list. I even saved the days on which they were posted! Thankfully, I didn't save my odd and pretentious thoughts on Apocalypse Now, which make mention of the Blue-Footed booby for some reason (don't ask).

While this is off-topic, here's the list anyway:

~~ DAY THREE ~~

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick, 1968)
2. Apocalypse Now (Francis Ford Coppola, 1979)
3. The Godfather (Francis Ford Coppola, 1972)
4. Rear Window (Alfred Hitchcock, 1954)
5. Mulholland Dr. (David Lynch, 2001)
6. Raiders of the Lost Ark (Steven Spielberg, 1981)
7. Jaws (Steven Spielberg, 1975)
8. Taxi Driver (Martin Scorsese, 1976)
9. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (Sergio Leone, 1966)
10. Casablanca (Michael Curtiz, 1942)

11. Alien (Ridley Scott, 1979)
12. Goodfellas (Martin Scorsese, 1976)
13. Vertigo (Alfred Hitchcock, 1958)
14. The Third Man (Carol Reed, 1949)
15. Lawrence of Arabia (David Lean, 1962)
16. The Fellowship of the Ring (Peter Jackson, 2001)
17. There Will Be Blood (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2007)
18. Pulp Fiction (Quentin Tarantino, 1994)
19. Psycho (Alfred Hitchcock, 1960)
20. The Shining (Stanley Kubrick, 1980)

~~ DAY TWO ~~

21. Dr. Strangelove (Stanley Kubrick, 1964)
22. Blade Runner (Ridley Scott, 1982)
23. A Clockwork Orange (Stanley Kubrick, 1971)
24. The Empire Strikes Back (Irvin Kershner, 1980)
25. The Godfather Part II (Francis Ford Coppola, 1974)
26. Citizen Kane (Orson Welles, 1941)
27. Fargo (The Coen Brothers, 1996)
28. 12 Angry Men (Sidney Lumet, 1957)
29. Stalker (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1979)
30. The Seven Samurai (Akira Kurosawa, 1954)

31. The Shawshank Redemption (Frank Darabont, 1994)
32. No Country for Old Men (The Coen Brothers, 2007)
33. Back to the Future (Robert Zemeckis, 1985)
34. 8 1/2 (Federico Fellini, 1963)
35. The Seventh Seal (Ingmar Bergman, 1957)
36. The Big Lebowski (The Coen Brothers, 1997)
37. The Passion of Joan of Arc (Carl Theodor Dreyer, 1928)
38. Schindler's List (Steven Spielberg, 1993)
39. Once Upon a Time in the West (Sergio Leone, 1968)
40. The Assassination of Jesse James... (Andrew Dominik, 2007)

41. Chinatown (Roman Polanski, 1974)
42. Terminator 2: Judgment Day (James Cameron, 1991)
43. The Thing (John Carpenter, 1982)
44. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Jones & Gilliam, 1975)
45. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Michel Gondry, 2004)
46. City Lights (Charles Chaplin, 1931)
47. On the Waterfront (Elia Kazan, 1954)
48. Persona (Ingmar Bergman, 1966)
49. The Silence of the Lambs (Jonathan Demme, 1991)
50. Sunset Blvd. (Billy Wilder, 1950)

~~ DAY ONE ~~

51. Memento (Christopher Nolan, 2000)
52. Raging Bull (Martin Scorsese, 1980)
53. L. A. Confidential (Curtis Hanson, 1997)
54. Rashomon (Akira Kurosawa, 1950)
55. Blue Velvet (David Lynch, 1986)
56. Eyes Wide Shut (Stanley Kubrick, 1999)
57. Seven (David Fincher, 1995)
58. The Tree of Life (Terrence Malick, 2011)
59. Pan's Labyrinth (Guillermo del Toro, 2006)
60. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Milos Forman, 1975)

61. Paris, Texas (Wim Wenders, 1984)
62. M (Fritz Lang, 1931)
63. Aguirre the Wrath of God (Werner Herzog, 1972)
64. Aliens (James Cameron, 1986)
65. Children of Men (Alfonso Cuaron, 2006)
66. Shaun of the Dead (Edgar Wright, 2004)
67. Boogie Nights (Paul Thomas Anderson, 1997)
68. Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2011)
69. Barry Lyndon (Stanley Kubrick, 1975)
70. Heat (Michael Mann, 1995)

71. The Wizard of Oz (Victor Fleming, 1939)
72. Die Hard (John McTiernan, 1988)
73. F for Fake (Orson Welles, 1973)
74. The Matrix (The Wachowskis, 1999)
75. The Graduate (Mike Nichols, 1975)

76. Once Upon a Time in America (Sergio Leone, 1984)
77. Amadeus (Milos Forman, 1984)
78. The Thin Red Line (Terrence Malick, 1998)
79. Double Indemnity (Billy Wilder, 1944)
80. Bicycle Thieves (Vittorio de Sica, 1948)

81. Fight Club (David Fincher, 1999)
82. Sunrise (F. W. Murnau, 1927)
83. La Dolce Vita (Federico Fellini, 1960)
84. Touch of Evil (Orson Welles, 1958)
85. American Beauty (Sam Mendes, 1999)
86. Days of Heaven (Terrence Malick, 1978))
87. Brazil (Terry Gilliam, 1984)
88. Network (Sidney Lumet, 1976)
89. The Dark Knight (Christopher Nolan, 2008)
90. Amelie (Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 2001)

91. Requiem for a Dream (Darren Aronofsky, 2000)
92. Star Wars (George Lucas, 1977)
93. Ikiru (Akira Kurosawa, 1952)
94a. Annie Hall (Woody Allen, 1977)
94b. Spirited Away (Hiyao Miyazaki, 2001)
96. Metropolis (Fritz Lang, 1927)
97. Unforgiven (Clint Eastwood, 1992)
98. Rosemary's Baby (Roman Polanski, 1968)
99. Three Colors: Red (Kyrzysztof Kieslowski, 1994)
100. The Red Shoes (Powell & Pressburger, 1948)
78/100 seen.

crumbsroom 10-21-20 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2133641)
78/100 seen.
100/100

*takes self satisfied bite out of apple*

*spits out apple because apples are awful*

SpelingError 10-21-20 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2133642)
100/100

*takes self satisfied bite out of apple*

*spits out apple because apples are awful*
First, you dislike James Wan and now you dislike applies? You're cancelled for sure now!

crumbsroom 10-21-20 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2133643)
First, you dislike James Wan and now you dislike applies? You're cancelled for sure now!
I'm a complicated guy.

SpelingError 10-21-20 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2133644)
I'm a complicated guy.
Well, at the very least, we can agree on Don't Look Now, I suppose, so I won't cancel you then. I'll cancel the cancel.

pahaK 10-21-20 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2133640)
*sigh* This, and the couple of responses you got for this, is what makes me wonder if there's something wrong with me. Didn't like it, didn't like the first one, and didn't like Drag Me to Hell. What can I say?
I don't like Evil Dead 2 either (or Drag Me to Hell) so it's not only you. Though I must admit that I still like the first Evil Dead.

Iroquois 10-21-20 12:18 PM

Like the line goes, you can be the tastiest peach in the world and there will always be people who hate peaches.

Sedai 10-21-20 12:22 PM

RE: The greatest films list above:

89/100 Seen

That said, That list has some seriously odd stuff going on. Unforgiven all the way up at 97, with chaff like Refn's Drive ahead of it. Also, Chinatown all the way down at 41? That a serious violation. Towne's script is pretty much perfect, the performances are all legendary, and the twist and ending don't even think about copping out. I would complain if Chinatown didn't make the Top 10, but man, down in the 40s???

Back to Unforgiven for a second... 97th? I demand an explanation immediately! ;)

Either there was a targeted conspiracy against Westerns in general, or a serious deficit in the taste of the voting group for that film to place that low. Again, one of the best scripts ever written, IMO. Top notch performances from screen legends like Gene Hackman, stellar cinematography, a memorable score...

Meanwhile, Anderson's Boogie Nights is 30 slots ahead of it. Shameful! ;)

Anyway, if you haven't already, make sure to check out the Lists section here on the site.

Captain Terror 10-21-20 12:26 PM

Let the record show that I did not participate in any of those lists, mostly because my brain is incapable of ranking more than 5 items at a time. Anything over 3 is a struggle.

Torgo 10-21-20 12:36 PM

That RT All-Time 100 list was assembled in 2013. 15 to 30 of us sent lists of at least 25 of our favorite movies to the guy running the project, he did some complex mathematics and there you have it.

As for Drive's high placement, it's likely a combination of it having come out a couple years earlier and the hype being fresh; also, a sub-group in the forum really, really liked that movie to a disturbing, cult following level.

crumbsroom 10-21-20 12:52 PM

Christine is a movie about a car that hardly asks you to think further than a souped-up car analogy when talking about it. It just sits there gleaming a fab cherry-red under the show lights, leaving even those not so car inclined to remark—”Oooh, shiny”. A quick look under the hood may reveal its engine to be nothing but a possum nest, but that’s okay. It doesn’t actually have to go anywhere special. You know its destination so well, you may as well just walk to it yourself.

John Carpenter is all too aware of this. Seeming to know that his audience is likely to be a few interstate turnoffs ahead of the plotting of Stephen King’s demon car fable, he will only bother to point out a few things of note as we quickly roll past. He assumes we can recognize them, even from a distance. Look, a Nerd! He’s buying a car! But it’s an evil car! Watch as their fates becomes intertwined, and he gets the girl and all of his enemies get chased through the street. Carpenter seems to know there is little need to get too much into Arnie Cunningham’s transition from lunch bag dork into evil Danny Zuko greaser. It is made clear the moment his eyes locked on Christines smashed headlights he was done for. As soon as Arnie pops his jacket collar and curls his lip, the audience knows he is gone for good.

While the film treats many of its plot points as little more than landmarks to show its audience we are still on the road to the expected conclusion, these fleeting glimpses we get of Arnie’s world are still vivid enough to work their spell. When bullying is required, all manner of local toughs have a shop class to shake their unkempt locks and practice their switchblading in. When we need to get a sense that home is no salvation, a chain-smoking mother is there to kick Arnie out for daring to have a teenage attitude. And when Arnie’s behavior becomes legally questionable, Harry Dean Stanton offers himself up to shamble around for a few scenes and pretend he’s investigating something. He’s got a rumpled suit and a cigarette, and this is all we will need to know that he means business. Appearances are, after all, everything in Christine.

It really will hardly matter that none of these subplots are ever dealt with much beyond the most surface details. And do they really need to be?. While much of the film may ring emotionally hollow, we always have a gleaming red Plymouth Fury sitting in the center of the film, engine purring and indestructible. Who needs to see the home lives of bullies, or the fall out of domestic battles or whether or not the detectives actually have anything on Arnie beyond goofy speculation of where he buys his car paint? These serious matters are not the kind of youthful currency this film is peddling. Christine only ever promises that Arnie will be seen. And we, as an audience complete this pact by watching him. Who cares if nothing here surprises us. Christine makes a great case for indefinite idling. For looking good while going nowhere.

Sedai 10-21-20 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Torgo (Post 2133660)
That RT All-Time 100 list was assembled in 2013. 15 to 30 of us sent lists of at least 25 of our favorite movies to the guy running the project, he did some complex mathematics and there you have it.
Sounds very similar to the process we use here for our Top 100s. I presume it is fairly similar on various forums around the 'net, however few of those there may be left at this point.

Thief 10-21-20 12:59 PM

Re: The RT 100 List, I've seen 87, so yay!

These are the ones I haven't seen, so let's see who can sell them to me :D

37. The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)
46. City Lights (1931)
61. Paris, Texas (1984)
73. F for Fake (1973)
81. Bicycle Thieves (1948)
82. Sunrise (1927)
83. La Dolce Vita (1960)
84. Touch of Evil (1958)
86. Days of Heaven (1978)
87. Brazil (1984)
93. Ikiru (1952)
99. Three Colors: Red (1994)
100. The Red Shoes (1948)

Seriously speaking, most of them are on my watchlists, but I just haven't gotten to them for whatever reasons. Joan of Arc in particular is one that I'm looking forward to.

Deschain 10-21-20 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by WHITBISSELL! (Post 2133548)
Woah, there's a new Tremors movie out? I'm like you, I've seen every single one. Even the Jamie Kennedy ones. As long as Michael Gross is in it I'll keep watching.
Yeah I had no idea either until someone posted a review in a Facebook group yesterday. That’s not how I like learning about new Tremors movies :D Anyway this one has Jon Heder instead of Jamie Kennedy. It’s on Netflix.

SpelingError 10-21-20 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2133664)

46. City Lights (1931)
61. Paris, Texas (1984)
73. F for Fake (1973)

82. Sunrise (1927)
83. La Dolce Vita (1960)
84. Touch of Evil (1958)
87. Brazil (1984)
93. Ikiru (1952)

Seriously speaking, most of them are on my watchlists, but I just haven't gotten to them for whatever reasons. Joan of Arc in particular is one that I'm looking forward to.
I've seen the bolded ones. Honestly, I think all of those are essential watches. City Lights and Touch of Evil are my favorites from that bunch.

Sedai 10-21-20 01:05 PM

46. City Lights (1931)
61. Paris, Texas (1984)
73. F for Fake (1973)
82. Sunrise (1927)
83. La Dolce Vita (1960)
84. Touch of Evil (1958)
87. Brazil (1984)
93. Ikiru (1952)

Run, don't walk to see Brazil. Make sure it's the directors cut, and not the garbage theatrical cut.

Sedai 10-21-20 01:10 PM

Just quickly, folks:

To add a popcorn box rating to a review/mini-review etc.

Use the following Code, but remove the asterisks:

[rating*]3_5[/rating*]

That would assign a three and a half box rating out of 5. Simply alter the number in the middle to adjust your rating.

Carry on!

Thief 10-21-20 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 2133667)
Run, don't walk to see Brazil. Make sure it's the directors cut, and not the garbage theatrical cut.
If I were to rank those I haven't seen in order of how much I want to see them, it would be...

1. The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)
2. Sunrise (1927)
3. Touch of Evil (1958)
4. Brazil (1984)
5. Ikiru (1952)

So yeah, I need to get on that. I think there are several cuts, right? I know the TC is a no-no, but the DC should be the one?

Torgo 10-21-20 01:30 PM

Stephen King wrote a book called The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. Well, I am The Guy Who Loves Stuart Gordon (R.I.P.).

I posted my Dagon review a while back. Here are few more reviews of his movies that I've written:

From Beyond -

Like Stuart Gordon's preceding movie, Re-Animator, From Beyond is about scientists playing with the laws of nature who don't realize the consequences of their actions until it's too late. Re-Animator vets Jeffrey Combs as the more skeptical scientist and Barbara Crampton as his psychiatrist are in their prime. You could say the same about the creature effects of Nightmare on Elm Street vet Mark Shostrom, which are easily on par with Rick Baker and Rob Bottin's work. It's not a classic like Re-Animator and the ending is a little too pat, not to mention employs an oft-parodied cliché than dilutes its tension. Even so, it deserves credit for being full-fledged and filler-free in spite of being borne from a short story that is only 7 pages long.

Dolls -

While Stuart Gordon's Re-Animator and From Beyond have been heaped with praise, and rightly so, Dolls is arguably on par with them. It has all the qualities that have made Gordon's preceding movies endure, including an artisanal, handcrafted look and feel, strong performances from the entire cast and scares that give you chills and make you laugh at their audacity. Speaking of the cast, the standouts are Carolyn Purdy-Gordon, who makes Rosemary equally loathsome and funny and Stephen Lee as Judy's childlike ally Ralph. All the same, Carrie Lorraine - who actually resembles a doll herself - is the MVP for how well she expresses her desire to be understood, and well, parented. Also, the handcrafted quality I mentioned is most evident in the doll effects, which thankfully avoid the uncanny valley that typically mars horror movies like this one. The movie is also valuable as a cultural artifact for how it depicts what got on people's nerves during the late '80s: in addition to Judy's yuppie parents, the Hartwickes' cadre of uninvited guests include a pair of punk rockers. Some of the worldbuilding is confusing, and while that may be on purpose, it took me out of the movie a few times, and Mr. Hartwicke's moralizing at the end seems redundant. Regardless, it's still a very entertaining and thoughtful exploration of the fear of your toys coming to life and the possibly even worse fear of your parents never or never desiring to understand you.

Castle Freak -

This Stuart Gordon horror yarn is about the American Reilly family - John (the legendary Jeffrey Combs), Susan (Barbara Crampton) and their blind daughter Rebecca (Jessica Dollarhide) - who inherit a castle in Italy. Already damaged by a death in the family and John's alcoholism, an uninvited guest in the castle's basement makes matters even worse. While not a classic like Stuart Gordon's Re-Animator, it's still a very satisfying entry in his filmography, mostly because of the castle's creepy vibe, the freak's unnerving depravity, the father's Jack Torrance-like volatility and the Reilly family's foreign alienation. Also, Combs once again proves that he's one of the best horror actors in the business.

Torgo 10-21-20 01:33 PM

My Stuart Gordon rankings:

1. Re-Animator
2. Dolls
3. From Beyond
4. Dagon
5. Castle Freak
6. Edmond

I hope to see the rest of his movies some day, especially Fortress, King of the Ants and Robot Jox (which is completely unavailable, apparently).

AgrippinaX 10-21-20 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2133671)
If I were to rank those I haven't seen in order of how much I want to see them, it would be...

2. Sunrise (1927)
3. Touch of Evil (1958)
4. Brazil (1984)
5. Ikiru (1952)

So yeah, I need to get on that. I think there are several cuts, right? I know the TC is a no-no, but the DC should be the one?
What! Touch of Evil deserves better! But at least it beat Brazil on your list...

SpelingError 10-21-20 01:50 PM

2. Sunrise (1927)
3. Touch of Evil (1958)
4. Brazil (1984)
5. Ikiru (1952)

Aw, no City Lights? :(

Captain Terror 10-21-20 02:02 PM

37. The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928) - dude.
46. City Lights (1931) - duuuude!
84. Touch of Evil (1958) - DUDE!?

WARNING: spoilers below
I still haven't seen ONE Kurosawa film, despite being a charter subscriber to the Criterion Channel. :shifty:

Sedai 10-21-20 02:04 PM

Just make sure to avoid the shorter "Love Conquers All" version that hit theaters back then. If I recall, there are two other cuts floating around, one European and one American, but they are quite similar. I have the Criterion Edition, and am not at home right now to check exactly which of the longer cuts it contains.

SpelingError 10-21-20 02:06 PM

The Godfather Part I and II and Psycho are my biggest blind spots in cinema. However, I plan to watch Psycho at the end of this month, so I'm slowly righting my wrongs.

Thief 10-21-20 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2133682)
46. City Lights (1931) - duuuude!
84. Touch of Evil (1958) - DUDE!?

WARNING: spoilers below
I still haven't seen ONE Kurosawa film, despite being a charter subscriber to the Criterion Channel. :shifty:
DUUUDEE!!

Seriously, though, I saw my first Kurosawa (Yojimbo) in 2013, and my second Kurosawa (Rashomon) in 2018, so I'm not that far away (I've seen four already, so you can catch me easily).

Iroquois 10-21-20 02:33 PM

So I decided to check which films from the aforementioned lists I hadn't seen. First, the horror one...

Trick 'r' Treat
Cemetery Man
Lake Mungo
The Abominable Dr. Phibes
The Thing From Another World
Curse of the Demon
Triangle
The Phantom of the Opera (25)
The Bride of Frankenstein

Then the general one...

F for Fake

Not too bad, I guess.

Takoma11 10-21-20 07:12 PM

Shame.

SHAME!

SHAAAAMMMMMMEEEEEEEE!!!!

(You will LOVE The Red Shoes, and I wager you'll also be a big fan of Passion of Joan of Arc)

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2133689)
So I decided to check which films from the aforementioned lists I hadn't seen. First, the horror one...

Trick 'r' Treat
Cemetery Man
Lake Mungo
The Abominable Dr. Phibes
The Thing From Another World
Curse of the Demon
Triangle
The Phantom of the Opera (25)
The Bride of Frankenstein
Lake Mungo is one of my all time favorites. I think that it borders more on a supernatural thriller/drama, but I'm in love with its pace and how well it executes the beats and look of a documentary.

Curse of the Demon is a more recent watch for me (the last two years or so) and it's easily become one of my favorites. I love the look of it and especially the finale.

Thief 10-21-20 09:18 PM

46. City Lights (1931)
61. Paris, Texas (1984)
73. F for Fake (1973)
82. Sunrise (1927)
83. La Dolce Vita (1960)
84. Touch of Evil (1958)
87. Brazil (1984)
93. Ikiru (1952)

I missed Assassination of Jesse James. That's another one I haven't seen.

Takoma11 10-21-20 10:31 PM

I love horror. I love drag.

I've previously given a shoutout to horror-drag competition Dragula, mostly to a response of *crickets*.

But if you are a fan, Dragula: Resurrection just came out on Shudder. (If you haven't watched the show before, I'd recommend season 2 as a good starting point--I think they are on Netflix).

If you enjoy learning about costumes and/or effects, this is highly recommended. Not only is there an interesting conversation about the role of marginalized populations (people of color, gay/lesbian people, trans people) within horror, there are some cool looks at how they create the costumes and effects for their shows.

I also really enjoy the different interpretations of the themes, such as witches, ghosts, a haunted Old West town, or even a Cenobite-themed show.

SpelingError 10-21-20 10:43 PM

I rewatched Requiem For a Dream (which isn't strictly a horror movie, but is still terrifying) yesterday and man, it hasn't aged a bit. It still scares me more than most horror films I've seen. With this viewing, I think I figured out what makes it work so well, which is its enormous level of craft. Aronofsky scares you in so many ways with such an immense variety of editing/camera/lighting techniques which occur one after another that my experience watching it was akin to a complete assault on my senses.

Takoma11 10-21-20 10:50 PM

I guess in keeping with the general conversation, what do you consider your horror "blindspots", if you have any?

The ones I hear about most often but haven't seen are:

Rosemary's Baby
King Kong
The Fly
Day of the Dead
The Wolf Man
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

And then a whole slew of 60s titles like Masque of the Red Death.

SpelingError 10-21-20 10:55 PM

Using the RT horror list posted upthread as a guide:

1) Psycho
2) A Nightmare on Elm Street
3) Poltergeist
4) Let the Right One In
5) Eyes Without a Face
6) Scream
7) The Wicker Man
8) The Omen
9) The Haunting
10) The Phantom of the Opera

Psycho and Poltergeist, however, are on my watchlist for this month though.

Captain Terror 10-21-20 11:00 PM

First two that come to mind are Kuroneko and Onibaba

crumbsroom 10-21-20 11:20 PM

Um...Mad Love?

Err...probably a few of the better Hammer films

re93animator 10-21-20 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Torgo (Post 2133676)
My Stuart Gordon rankings:

1. Re-Animator
2. Dolls
3. From Beyond
4. Dagon
5. Castle Freak
6. Edmond

I hope to see the rest of his movies some day, especially Fortress, King of the Ants and Robot Jox (which is completely unavailable, apparently).
I grew up a big fan of Gordon, and thought Robot Jox was his worst movie as a teen; boring and too family friendly from what I remember. If wikipedia is to be believed, I wish Joe Haldeman had gotten his way with the script. I liked Gordon's more customarily pulpy sci-fi movie Space Truckers much better. The humor falls flat, but it at least has his trashy fun style. And Fortress is still a schlocky favorite of mine, head and shoulders above the former two.:)

His Masters of Horror episodes, Pit and the Pendulum, and Stuck are decent from what I remember, but it's been a while. I was lukewarm on King of the Ants, but it's aptly bizarre and violent. I still seek Daughter of Darkness.

Based on this and a couple of your posts in the 'Rate...' thread, you've got good taste. :D Welcome to the forum.

Rockatansky 10-22-20 12:50 AM

2. Sunrise (1927)
3. Touch of Evil (1958)
4. Brazil (1984)
5. Ikiru (1952)

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2133682)
Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2133778)
Shame.
Yeah, everybody get mad at Thief for not having seen The Passion of Joan of Arc. Truly the worst thing any of us have said about that movie...

:shifty: *nervously tugs collar*

StuSmallz 10-22-20 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by AgrippinaX (Post 2133603)
Hereditary was being sold as the ‘scariest’ film to date, and few would argue that it’s not at least creepy and well-constructed, narrative-wise.
...does anyone else want to tell him, or should I?

https://i.ibb.co/jDvymFg/biggrin.gif
Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 2133657)
RE: The greatest films list above:

89/100 Seen

That said, That list has some seriously odd stuff going on. Unforgiven all the way up at 97, with chaff like Refn's Drive ahead of it. Also, Chinatown all the way down at 41? That a serious violation. Towne's script is pretty much perfect, the performances are all legendary, and the twist and ending don't even think about copping out. I would complain if Chinatown didn't make the Top 10, but man, down in the 40s???

Back to Unforgiven for a second... 97th? I demand an explanation immediately! ;)

Either there was a targeted conspiracy against Westerns in general, or a serious deficit in the taste of the voting group for that film to place that low. Again, one of the best scripts ever written, IMO. Top notch performances from screen legends like Gene Hackman, stellar cinematography, a memorable score...
Couldn't agree with you more, man (although I do like Drive a lot, while I'm on the subject here).