Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Reviews (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=59008)

Citizen Rules 03-18-19 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1997092)
Yahoo! (I think) one of mine made the countdown...I Walked With A Zombie (1943)...Much better than Abbot and Costello Meet the Zombie:p...But I lost my list so I'm not sure. @Nostromo87 how about sending me my list back, please.
Whoops! I Walked With A Zombie wasn't on my list after all...But, it was on my short list and almost made it. I'll send back those 4 reps pronto:p

TheUsualSuspect 03-18-19 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1997210)
It is, actually. You have to scroll pretty far down, but if you look in the section below the cast listing, there's an area that lists genres. It's tagged as Action, Crime, Drama, Horror, Romance, and Thriller. The top of the IMDb page only lists the first 3 genres.
Now the question is...how many people didn't know this and films they would have nominated aren't included now.

Also, people can edit the genres.

cricket 03-18-19 01:43 PM

It never even occurred to me to check the genres for Near Dark.

MovieMeditation 03-18-19 02:54 PM

Re: MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

I must admit that I thought people knew this by now. That you can scroll down and see more genres. Also, in the app it displays all genres up top I just saw.

But yeah, not much to do now. But for the future, we should probably state “remember to scroll down as IMDb don’t list all genres up top” or something like that.

Anyways, if it’s true what Suspect says that you can Wikipedia-style-edit the genres yourself and change it, then IMDb might not be the best place to confirm genres. That said I have no idea what we should use instead...

Citizen Rules 03-18-19 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by MovieMeditation (Post 1997246)
...if it’s true what Suspect says that you can Wikipedia-style-edit the genres yourself and change it...
Can someone try and do that and report back? I'm not so sure it's that easy to edit the movie page at IMDB.

Tugg 03-18-19 03:00 PM

I don't care who edits it, but Wikipedia has more accurate genre descriptions than IMDb.

TheUsualSuspect 03-18-19 03:19 PM

The edit still has to be approved by someone who works there.

Nostromo87 03-18-19 03:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://i.ibb.co/L1skFpj/The-Host98.jpg

The Host (2006)
Runtime: 1 Hour 59 Mins
Production Company: Chungeorahm Film
Distributed by Showbox Entertainment
Director: Joon-ho Bong
Production Budget: ₩11.8 billion, ₩ is the South Korean currency called Won
Box Office: ₩101,261,592,000 aka $89.4 Million US Dollars
Four Votes (Receiving 14, 13, 10, and 9 points, respectively)
46 Points
High Voter: @jal90

A creature plunges from a bridge into the Han River emerging on its shores for a feeding frenzy upon onlookers. When a young girl is snatched in the melee, her family sets off to recover her from the monster that the government claims to be a host of an unidentified virus. Source: The back of the DVD case.

Nostromo87 03-18-19 03:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://i.ibb.co/gDp4P6m/The-Conjuring-2-97.jpg

The Conjuring 2 (2016)
Runtime: 2 Hours 14 Mins
Production Company: New Line Cinema
Distributed by Warner Bros Pictures
Director: James Wan
Production Budget: $40,000,000
Box Office: $320,400,000
Three Votes (Receiving 17, 16, and 14 points, accordingly)
47 Points
High Voter: @Derek Vinyard

Reprising their roles from The Conjuring, Vera Farmiga and and Patrick Wilson star as Lorraine and Ed Warren, who help a single mother raising four children alone in a house plagued by malicious spirits. Source: The back of the DVD case.

Citizen Rules 03-18-19 03:33 PM

Hey, I seen The Host, liked it too! Not on my list but it could have been, if I had put it there.

An excerpt from my review:
Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1433757)
The Host (2006) Gwoemul (original title)

After toxic chemicals are poured into Seoul's Han River a mutated monster emerges and begins attacking people. When a small girl is taken alive by the creature, her family does what it can to rescue her before it's too late.

I liked this one. It wasn't what I expected...I expected a 2 hour long movie with people being bit in half by a giant creature. Instead it had a lighter touch and focused more on a slightly dysfunctional but very likable Korean family. The film makers could have left the creature out of the film and I would have still liked the characters and the way the family interacted, the were interesting! It was nice seeing scenes inside Korea too.

The creature itself was pretty cool looking...I liked the way it moved on land, it couldn't walk well and would occasionally fall on it's belly. Nicely done CG.

The film itself had a very high quality look to it. Very cinematic with rich colors and lots of rain. You can tell it was well made. I watched the English dubbed version, which matched up pretty well. Though I would have liked the English voice actors to have a Korean accent.

It took me awhile to realize the film makers intended this to have light comic situations. What made that light comedy work is that it came out of the way people naturally react and was not slapstick.

Think of The Host as a Godzilla done up Korean style, with an ecliptic but realistic family added in. This is fun Sci-Fi Horror!

MovieMeditation 03-18-19 03:34 PM

The Host was a fun film. I had a good time with it but not nearly enough to vote for it.

I personally really like The Conjuring 2. Not quite as good as the first, but it has some interesting ways of expanding the universe and characters. Didn’t vote for it though.

Two good films. I think we are in for a treat with this list!

Nostromo87 03-18-19 03:37 PM

Laughed my butt off the whole time making that post for #98. "Won," the South Korean currency. Who knew.

Citizen Rules 03-18-19 03:37 PM

Digging the format, especially the High Voter info. I don't think that was ever done before, nice touch.

Derek Vinyard 03-18-19 03:38 PM

The Conjuring 2 was my #9

James Wan is one of the best director working today imo.

Tugg 03-18-19 03:38 PM

The Conjuring 2 was my #12:- 14 points. Scary one.

Miss Vicky 03-18-19 03:39 PM

I haven't seen any of the first four films.

CosmicRunaway 03-18-19 03:44 PM

I've seen both of these, but neither was on my list.

I thought The Host was alright, but I didn't love it. When that Stephanie Meyer book got adapted into a film as well, it caused a bit of confusion since I know some YA enthusiasts who were surprised that I had seen The Host as well, and it always took a few minutes to realize were were talking about two different movies haha.

I like a fair amount of The Conjuring 2, but I do have issues with it. I thoroughly enjoyed the first half of the film, but pretty much hated every second of the last half. I only saw it once in theatres, and have been meaning to revisit it, but haven't bothered yet.

akatemple 03-18-19 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by gandalf26 (Post 1997075)
How old is the idea of a Zombie (or just a zombie) film? I though Night of the Living Dead started it, George Romero?
The modern conception of the zombie owes itself almost entirely to George A. Romero's 1968 film Night of the Living Dead. In his films, Romero "bred the zombie with the vampire, and what he got was the hybrid vigour of a ghoulish plague monster".
^^^ pulled off of Wiki

But yeah in my opinion Zombie movies did not get good till Romero, in my head he is the king of Zombie movies.

cricket 03-18-19 03:47 PM

Seen The Host twice and like it a good amount.

I prefer the first Conjuring but the sequel is good too. Still surprised to see it show up.

pahaK 03-18-19 03:48 PM

I didn't like The Host that much. It wasn't bad by any means but it didn't stand out either. I'm kinda surprised to see it on the list. The Conjuring 2 is considerably worse than the first film but still on the upper parts of my OK scale. Well-made and popular film so not surprised by this.

Thursday Next 03-18-19 04:04 PM

I've seen The Host, it was alright. Not seen The Conjuring. To be honest I'm a little surprised I've seen 2/4 so far; I was expecting more obscure films to show up first off. Looking at some of the ones that just missed the top 100 as well, I don't think some of the less obvious picks from my list have much of a chance. Then again, with horror there are always cult favourites so who knows.

TheUsualSuspect 03-18-19 04:10 PM

I like both, The Host was a lot of fun, but lacks the real horror element for me to be included.

I love The Conjuring movies, but the first one was better.

mark f 03-18-19 04:35 PM

I liked this batch better than the first but they're all worth watching.
Seen 4/4. None from my list has appeared.

TokeZa 03-18-19 04:46 PM

The Host is alright but a bit tedious and in general i am not really a fan of South Korean cinema

I have not seen The Conjuring 2, but liked first one allright, neither made my list.

Seen 3/4

TheUsualSuspect 03-18-19 05:07 PM

Seen 2/4

akatemple 03-18-19 06:17 PM

The Host is a great movie, one of my favorite Sci-Fi / Action movies. I never considered this a horror film.

rauldc14 03-18-19 09:01 PM

Haven't seen any of the first 4.

Mingusings 03-18-19 09:49 PM

The House that Jack Built was one of my favorite movies from 2018, but it didn't quite make my list. The Host is another solid movie but also wasn't on my list.

I couldn't stand the Conjuring so I can't imagine I'd like the sequel. Never heard of I Walked with a Zombie.

gbgoodies 03-18-19 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 1997214)
Now the question is...how many people didn't know this and films they would have nominated aren't included now.

Also, people can edit the genres.

If people can edit the genres on IMDB, why didn't someone here edit the genres for Jaws to include "horror"?

gbgoodies 03-18-19 10:32 PM

I watched The Host (2006) about a year or two ago. (I think it might have been nominated in a HoF or other tournament here on MoFo.) It was a pretty good movie, but not good enough to make my list.

I watch both of The Conjuring movies for this countdown. I like both Vera Farmiga and and Patrick Wilson, so I was hoping that I would like these movies too. The first movie was okay, but I thought it went too far and lacked believability. It just felt like they were trying too hard to push things like the devil and demons on the audience. (If that much demonic stuff was happening in my house, my family and I would have left long before it got that bad.

After watching the first movie, I watched about the first hour of The Conjuring 2 (2016), but I liked it less than the first movie, and I just couldn't finish it. :(

Derek Vinyard 03-18-19 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mingusings (Post 1997358)
The House that Jack Built was one of my favorite movies from 2018, but it didn't quite make my list. The Host is another solid movie but also wasn't on my list.

I couldn't stand the Conjuring so I can't imagine I'd like the sequel. Never heard of I Walked with a Zombie.
The House That Jack Built is fantastic. I never though I would watch a Lars Von Trier movie and I try it and it was an absolute blast. I'll watch Antichrist one day for sure

mark f 03-18-19 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 1997363)
If people can edit the genres on IMDB, why didn't someone here edit the genres for Jaws to include "horror"?
They won't let me, and I've tried numerous times since IMDb existed, including three times since this list was announced. Michelle, the "official rep", is an idiot when you try to discuss reality with her.

Nostromo87 03-19-19 01:33 AM

I've been notified that my image links broke Monday afternoon while I was sleeping before work. I'll get this fixed Tuesday morning. Excited to have Tuesday night off from work so I can get more involved with the films discussion provided so far.

Nope1172 03-19-19 02:24 AM

The House That Jack Built was my #15

My List so Far:
#15 - The House That Jack Built (99)

Seen: 1/4

cat_sidhe 03-19-19 04:00 AM

Seen all of them so far.

MovieMeditation 03-19-19 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Derek Vinyard (Post 1997371)
The House That Jack Built is fantastic. I never though I would watch a Lars Von Trier movie and I try it and it was an absolute blast. I'll watch Antichrist one day for sure
Antichrist is a different mouthful for sure. Prepare yourself for explicit and nasty stuff... BUT with that said, Antichrist was the first Trier I saw and like you, at the time at least, I wasn't really interested in watching his movies. But I had an assignment for graphic violence in movies, so how can I not pick that one + he's from Denmark so it was perfect.

And I was actually surprised that it fascinated me. I was ready to just outright hate this movie but I ended up rather liking it on first watch. Seen it a few times since too.

Iroquois 03-19-19 09:08 AM

I've seen The Host and thought it was alright, but didn't think it was too special. It does make me think I should try watching it again.

Haven't seen anything Conjuring-related, though I imagine that if the sequel makes it then I should expect the original. Guess I'll have to move them up my to-do list.

Derek Vinyard 03-19-19 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by MovieMeditation (Post 1997403)
Originally Posted by Derek Vinyard (Post 1997371)
Antichrist is a different mouthful for sure. Prepare yourself for explicit and nasty stuff... BUT with that said, Antichrist was the first Trier I saw and like you, at the time at least, I wasn't really interested in watching his movies. But I had an assignment for graphic violence in movies, so how can I not pick that one + he's from Denmark so it was perfect.

And I was actually surprised that it fascinated me. I was ready to just outright hate this movie but I ended up rather liking it on first watch. Seen it a few times since too.
You convince me even more! Thanks man

Holden Pike 03-19-19 11:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
While I can't say I'm surprised Claire Denis' disturbing Trouble Every Day didn't get any other votes I am still disappointed. And that Near Dark didn't make the cut is just silly.

But then again, Jaws doesn't even count as a horror movie, so there is silly for you before the thing even started.

HOLDEN'S LIST
21. Near Dark (DNP)
25. Trouble Every Day (DNP)

honeykid 03-19-19 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1997210)
It is, actually. You have to scroll pretty far down, but if you look in the section below the cast listing, there's an area that lists genres. It's tagged as Action, Crime, Drama, Horror, Romance, and Thriller. The top of the IMDb page only lists the first 3 genres.
Arse. Thanks for that, honey (and Chyp who left a comment saying the same). At least I'll know if there's a next time. Too late now, but if everyone could just add 20+ points to Near Dark. :D

The Host was ok, I don't remember it that well, but I remember feeling a little bored with it towards the end. Didn't consider it and not sure I would've.

Haven't seen any of The Conjuring films. Or most films from the last 20 years. :D

Jerewolf Jordamned 03-19-19 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 1997096)
Hell yes. 👍

Would love to see this make the list, guys.

Nostromo87 03-19-19 04:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://i.ibb.co/RTK0Vcp/smileyousonuva.jpg

Originally Posted by Holden Pike (Post 1997435)
But then again, Jaws doesn't even count as a horror movie, so there is silly for you before the thing even started.

Nostromo87 03-19-19 05:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://i.ibb.co/JsrjCfb/The-Neon-Demon-96.jpg

The Neon Demon (2016)
Runtime: 1 Hour 57 Mins
Production Company: Wild Bunch
Distributed by Amazon Studios
Director: Nicolas Winding Refn
Production Budget: $7,000,000
Box Office: $3,400,000
Four Votes (17, 16, 9, 5)
47 Points
High Voter: @ScarletLion

Ridiculously seductive-looking film. Here's the trailer. "The Wicked Die Young."

Nostromo87 03-19-19 05:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://i.ibb.co/17SnKHL/They-Live-95.jpg

They Live (1988)
Runtime: 1 Hour 34 Mins
Production Company: Alive Films
Distributed by Universal Pictures
Director: John Carpenter
Production Budget: $3,000,000
Box Office: $13,000,000
4 Votes (21, 17, 6, 3)
47 Points
High Voter: @7thson

"Put the glasses on. Put 'em on!" -Roddy Piper

Nostromo87 03-19-19 05:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)

John-Connor 03-19-19 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Nostromo87 (Post 1997522)
http://i.ibb.co/17SnKHL/They-Live-95.jpg

They Live (1988)
Runtime: 1 Hour 34 Mins
Production Company: Alive Films
Distributed by Universal Pictures
Director: John Carpenter
Production Budget: $3,000,000
Box Office: $13,000,000
4 Votes (21, 17, 6, 3)
47 Points
High Voter: @7thson

"Put the glasses on. Put 'em on!" -Roddy Piper
Another one from my top 50, Classic! 👍
https://media.giphy.com/media/spgc6Whhq9Gog/giphy.gif

mark f 03-19-19 05:21 PM

I'm not too fond of Neon Demon (it's still worth watching), but I borderline love They Live.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-KUITWGTTfb.../They+Live.gif
None of mine on list yet.
Seen 6/6

HashtagBrownies 03-19-19 05:30 PM

I didn't have They Live on my list (way more action than horror for me), still good though.

Derek Vinyard 03-19-19 05:35 PM

didn't see The Neon Demon and I'm not really interested tbh...

They Live is badass no doubt but didn't make my list.

TheUsualSuspect 03-19-19 05:39 PM

Neon Demon is boring.

I consider They Live more sci/fi than horror. Even if I did consider it as horror, I feel that Carpenter has better horror movies on his resume and would put those over this any day.

Seen 4/6

cat_sidhe 03-19-19 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Nostromo87 (Post 1997521)
http://i.ibb.co/JsrjCfb/The-Neon-Demon-96.jpg

The Neon Demon (2016)
Runtime: 1 Hour 57 Mins
Production Company: Wild Bunch
Distributed by Amazon Studios
Director: Nicolas Winding Refn
Production Budget: $7,000,000
Box Office: $3,400,000
Four Votes (17, 16, 9, 5)
47 Points
High Voter: @ScarletLion

Ridiculously seductive-looking film. Here's the trailer. "The Wicked Die Young."
OH MY GOD I considered this as I ****ing LOVE this movie.

SO happy to see it on the list!

Seen all so far.

pahaK 03-19-19 05:54 PM

I've called The Neon Demon a failure that's done with style. I didn't like it but I did appreciate what it tried to do. They Live I've seen as a kid. Back then I thought it was mediocre but it's definitely a film I need to rewatch at some point, especially as I've liked most of the Carpenters I've recently rewatched.

Seen 5/6 (hopefully 6/6 before the reveals are done)

Siddon 03-19-19 05:55 PM

Alright so I've seen 6/6 here are my thoughts..

1. I Walked With a Zombie - this made my list it was 25 I was worried this would be a one pointer but I'm grateful that it's not.

2. Neon Demon - To me this is a classic I might have ranked it. It's a slow burn but the payoffs are so good.

3. The House That Kevin Built - Another masterpiece, while it feels long the episodic nature really worked well for Von Trier this is my second favorite film behind Melancholia for me.

4. They Live - Not quite top Carpenter for me, the set design and plotting are solid but the pacing was a little off for me. Piper and David kind of elevate what could have been Carpenter's biggest miss step.

5. The Host - Uneven but watchable, really good FX

6. The Conjuring 2 - It was alright I wish we would have gotten practical effects and not CGI, the CGI kinda killed it for me.

cricket 03-19-19 05:58 PM

I've never thought of either as horror, especially They Live, but they're both good movies, especially They Live.

Yam12 03-19-19 06:01 PM

I voted for They Live.

Siddon 03-19-19 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1997549)
I've never thought of either as horror, especially They Live, but they're both good movies, especially They Live.

How many of your selections do you think are going to actually rank though?

cat_sidhe 03-19-19 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 1997545)
2. Neon Demon - To me this is a classic I might have ranked it. It's a slow burn but the payoffs are so good.
The soundtrack was so good too!

https://youtu.be/W_hCoPa5kj4

https://youtu.be/OvUJsu5w8IU

3. The House That Kevin Built
:lol:

CosmicRunaway 03-19-19 06:22 PM

Again I've seen both of these films, but didn't vote for either.

I didn't really like The Neon Demon, though it was certainly a good looking film. They Live is quite a bit of fun, and I feel like I probably should've rewatched it for the Countdown, but it's a bit late for that now haha.

John-Connor 03-19-19 06:28 PM

Main reason I haven't seen Neon Demon yet is probably because of the very disappointing Only God Forgives. I did love Bronson and liked Drive, so I will give Neon Demon a try, trailer sure looks stylish af.

cat_sidhe 03-19-19 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 1997565)
Main reason I haven't seen Neon Demon yet is probably because of the very disappointing Only God Forgives. I did love Bronson and liked Drive, so I will give Neon Demon a try, trailer sure looks stylish af.
The Neon Demon is a film that really grew on me with rewatches.

Citizen Rules 03-19-19 06:39 PM

Love the title and subject matter of Neon Demon but have never seen it as I imaged it would be another intensely bloody slasher movie...so when you guys say it's boring or all style, does that mean I might like it?:p Seriously I wonder if I might?

I've not seen They Live but it looks like my kind of campy fun movie so I will check it out one of these day.

Congrats to all who had it on their list.

cricket 03-19-19 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 1997554)
How many of your selections do you think are going to actually rank though?
I would guess about 17 but then I thought Near Dark was a lock.

Derek Vinyard 03-19-19 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 1997545)
3. The House That Kevin Built - Another masterpiece, while it feels long the episodic nature really worked well for Von Trier this is my second favorite film behind Melancholia for me
never heard of it, is that a sequel ?

Siddon 03-19-19 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Derek Vinyard (Post 1997578)
never heard of it, is that a sequel ?

Little distracted at the moment not sure if I was thinking Kevin Dillion or Kevin from Sin City.

MovieMeditation 03-19-19 08:09 PM

Didn’t like They Live much back when I watched it but I feel like I expected something different and it’s been so very long. I will definitely watch it again. It’s got a great concept to be sure.

I saw like 3/4 of Neon Demon but shut it off as I was bored and it was very underwhelming. Yes I know about the ending already as I had it spoiled to me but even that doesn’t make me wanna go watch it again. It just didn’t have enough to it imo.

It’s kind of weird seeing THTJB and Neon Demon on a Top 100 horror movies of all time but oh well, maybe I’m just weird...

The Rodent 03-19-19 08:25 PM

They Live is a horror?

Siddon 03-19-19 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by The Rodent (Post 1997601)
They Live is a horror?

It's part of Carpenter's end of the world trilogy so year

Miss Vicky 03-19-19 08:50 PM

I haven't seen either of these, but They Live looks like it might be fun.

MovieMeditation 03-19-19 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1997609)
I haven't seen either of these, but They Live looks like it might be fun.
I was sure you had seen this and even loved it. Hmm, strange.,,

rauldc14 03-19-19 09:10 PM

I have seen They Live so I'm on the board!

I didn't mind the film, actually I would probably like it more the second time around, but kind of irks me that it made it with The Fog sitting at home.

Guaporense 03-19-19 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Nostromo87 (Post 1997258)
http://i.ibb.co/L1skFpj/The-Host98.jpg

The Host (2006)[/font]

A creature plunges from a bridge into the Han River emerging on its shores for a feeding frenzy upon onlookers. When a young girl is snatched in the melee, her family sets off to recover her from the monster that the government claims to be a host of an unidentified virus. Source: The back of the DVD case.
The first one from my list to show up.

Nostromo87 03-19-19 11:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
They Live (1988) - Can't recall a time I had it on and didn't have a good time. The bearded hacker guy who interrupts television transmissions to broadcast his insurgency out of a rundown backroom, those are the scenes that come to me. Didn't vote or think of it much for this, more an enjoyable movie with action at the forefront and I'd love to get into some more focused horror material, but it's a fun movie to see.

The Fog (1980) - Carpenter's first 80s film about a coastal town covered in a thick fog. Adrienne Barbeau as the DJ at a lighthouse radio station and Carpenter-staple Tom Atkins are more in my thoughts than the Leigh/Curtis mother-daughter duo. I'd revisit it as I have the movie, though I did not put it on my vote list.

Theatre of Blood (1973) - In my recollection it comes to me as resembling a stage play... Though it's Vincent Price- giving a characteristically fascinating performance, in a mash-up runthrough of Shakespeare, King Lear comes to mind. Did vote for a Vincent Price film, not this one though.

Pitch Black (2000) - Viewed once a long while back. The Chronicles of Riddick, the second film, I've seen that more, not recently however. Of the two I'd rather watch Pitch Black. Hits my memory as a somewhat Alien-style film. Then Chronicles of Riddick had a more action-oriented bent.

http://i.ibb.co/rfLvwY5/Pitch-Black1.jpg

The Return of the Living Dead (1985) - Music-plus, character actors-plus, viewed the night before my successful job interview last fall. Should all add up to a lock. It's unsettling to watch, something about the colors- greens and yellows. With the coloration makes you feel sick while watching, then they're doing humor and something of an 80s-street-hangout style movie. I've given it good ratings before, but I left it off my list.

http://i.ibb.co/mFCz8gd/Returnot-Livingd.jpg

The Burning (1980) - Fav characters in the film - Brian Matthews playing Todd, and Jason Alexander (George Costanza) playing Dave. Something curious about how the dreaded Harvey Weinstein went from this, his first produced movie, to gradually become the most powerful movie guy in the world pretty much for so long. Approving of the character dynamics in this one, they're convincing and ultimately constructive, and I spent a lot of time growing up at summer camps and at lakes like this, these movies appeal to me. I can recall counselors telling us haunted stories, which happens in this movie. This was the flick that made me feel good about my Slash vault. High on my list after a late-in-the-game recall of how I genuinely enjoy what this movie's about. Also, *Savini gore FX*

http://i.ibb.co/7kPfh2R/Burning81.jpg

gbgoodies 03-19-19 11:50 PM

I haven't seen The Neon Demon. (I didn't know it was a horror movie, so it wasn't on my watchlist.)

I watched They Live for this countdown, and I liked it enough that I considered it for my list, but it didn't make the final cuts. It's a fun movie, but it was cut from my list mainly for two minor reasons. 1) I thought the fight scene with Roddy Piper and his friend was too long, and 2) I didn't like the ending.

jiraffejustin 03-20-19 02:56 AM

I like gifs and still of They Live more than film itself, and of course I love Roddy Piper the pro wrestling personality, but the movie itself just doesn't do it for me.

cat_sidhe 03-20-19 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 1997635)
I haven't seen The Neon Demon. (I didn't know it was a horror movie, so it wasn't on my watchlist.)
It's very low key, but very beautiful. Vivid symbolism.

TokeZa 03-20-19 06:00 AM

I loved The Neon Demon when it came out and i consider it the best that Refn has done. A very visceral experience and i rate it
. Did however not consider it a horror movie.

They Live has some iconic scenes and symbolic gestures, though at the same time has a bit of an archaic B-movie feel to it

None of them were on my list and i did not consider them either.

Seen 5/6.

MoreOrLess 03-20-19 06:06 AM

As said They Live didn't really feel horrorish enough for me to list plus I spose it suffered from be already voting for other Carpenter films.

Neon Demon I did list, I might have placed it even more highly if I felt it had fully lived up to its potential, the setup is superb IMHO and arguably Refn's best looking/sounding film with a nice Lynchian(now theres someone who could have featured a lot bar IMDB genre listings) atmosphere. The ending certainly isn't bad but does feel a little to on the nose for me relative to what came previously.

cat_sidhe 03-20-19 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1997568)
Love the title and subject matter of Neon Demon but have never seen it as I imaged it would be another intensely bloody slasher movie...so when you guys say it's boring or all style, does that mean I might like it?:p Seriously I wonder if I might?
It's not bloody. It's more a subliminal horror type thing. It IS slow, but it is also stunning. I know I've said that a few times, but I was really struck by how much I liked it with multiple watches. I waited a while to see it too, as I never really seemed to be in the mood for something slow.

But then I rewatched another Winding Refn film and it made me feel like playing catchup. AND. GODS. It was worth the wait.

cat_sidhe 03-20-19 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by TokeZa (Post 1997672)
I loved The Neon Demon when it came out and i consider it the best that Refn has done. A very visceral experience and i rate it
. Did however not consider it a horror movie.
Yeah, I felt the horror element was too subtle for me to vote it in my top 25, although....I WAS tempted because I love the movie so much. But I gave my oblique horror away to another film (one that I consider kind of... politely vicious, so it deserved the place more).

MovieMeditation 03-20-19 06:39 AM

I never went over the ones that came close to making the cut, so...

Not seen Return of the Living Dead, Theatre of Blood, Raw, Near Dark, Train to Busan or The Fog. Pretty much all of them are on my watchlist or at least movies I’ve been wanting to see for a long time.

Hellraiser 2 is a fun film. I was surprised how much I liked it. It wasn’t perfect by any means but I liked some aspects of it quite a bit. I got a review of it here.

Kill List and Creep were both disappointments to me. I wouldn’t mind revisiting the former some day though. The Burning is a fun slasher. I had a fine time with it!

cat_sidhe 03-20-19 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by MovieMeditation (Post 1997403)
Antichrist is a different mouthful for sure. Prepare yourself for explicit and nasty stuff... BUT with that said, Antichrist was the first Trier I saw and like you, at the time at least, I wasn't really interested in watching his movies.
Have you seen Riget?

if not, no wonder you never got my danskjävlar reference
https://i.imgur.com/qSvpmWQ.gif?noredirect

MovieMeditation 03-20-19 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by cat_sidhe (Post 1997683)
Have you seen Riget?

if not, no wonder you never got my danskjävlar reference
https://i.imgur.com/qSvpmWQ.gif?noredirect
Of course I have and of course I did. ;)

I have seen most of Triers filmography but I purposely hold off on just a few because I’m not really in a hurry to get them watched. Movies like Europa aren’t out on HD yet so call
me silly but I’m also kinda just waiting to watch it in a beautiful transfer.

cat_sidhe 03-20-19 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by MovieMeditation (Post 1997685)
I miss Ernst-Hugo Järegård. :( What a great actor...

Captain Spaulding 03-20-19 09:00 AM

First off, bang-up job already by our host, @Nostromo87. :up: Hot and ready right off the press. Loving the presentation and graphics.

Lots of cool titles on the one-pointers list (except for the When a Stranger Calls remake, which is one of the lamest horror movies I've seen). Several of the one-pointers hold a slot on the personal watchlist, with Split Second, Fascination and Spring being the ones I'm most interested in watching. That quote on the poster for Spring -- "A hybrid of Richard Linklater and H.P. Lovecraft" -- causes a stirring in my nether regions. Or maybe that's just my crabs flaring up.

Surprised that House of the Devil only garnered one point. 'Twas on the list of potentials with its retro aesthetic and unbearable suspense. It'd be a major personal favorite if the ending didn't land with such a wet fart. Less surprised that Stir of Echoes landed on the one-pointers list since it's always been underappreciated. It draws a lot of comparisons to The Sixth Sense, but I think it's a better movie and it holds up stronger on re-watches. That hypnosis scene in the dark movie theater has always creeped me out. Everyone should also be in awe of Kevin Bacon's mad shoveling skills.

So far the list of near-misses is more impressive than the films which made the cut. It sounds like Near Dark got cheated by the IMDb horror tag not being at the top of the page. Bummed that The Burning came up just short. I think it's superior to all other summer camp slashers (of which there are many, including the Friday the 13th series). Hell, The Burning is one of the best slashers, period. It's exciting, full of believable characters (many in the cast went on to have very successful careers, so the performances are stronger than you typically find in such films), the gore is excellent, the bloody shears are beautiful, and despite being one of the first of its kind, the movie feels surprisingly fresh. It was one of several movies that I debated toward the bottom of my list. I wish now that I had thrown a few points its way.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-GHx-bEhxBO...ezf9o1_500.gif

As for the actual films to appear on the Countdown so far . . . well, I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty underwhelmed. I Walked with a Zombie is deserving of a spot. I watched it quite some time ago out of curiosity to see what pre-Romero zombies were like. I wasn't as into classic cinema at the time, so I think I'd appreciate the movie much more nowadays, but I still enjoyed it. I knew that The Conjuring was probably a lock due to its popularity, but I'm shocked that the sequel also made the list. Both films feel very professional and they're anchored by strong lead performances. The first Conjuring was pretty entertaining since it seemed to throw every haunted-house cliché at the screen with a surprising degree of success, but I'm struggling to remember much from the sequel despite watching it much more recently. Something about an evil nun?

I haven't watched The Host in over a decade now, so much of the plot is hazy to me, but I remember being surprised at some of the developments along the way. I also remember a strong emotional connection to the characters. Seems like some of the creature F/X were a bit dodgy. Not crazy about seeing it on a Horror Countdown since I think of such movies as primarily science-fiction, but it's one of the best entries in the giant-monsters-eat-people-and-destroy-a-lot-of-sh*t genre.

I've given up trying to join the Cult of Carpenter, as I just don't love most of his films anywhere near as much as most people, but They Live is a pretty fun outing. It gave us one of the all-time great movie quotes: "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass . . . and I'm all out of bubblegum." For a campy cult movie it has a surprisingly strong message. And that never-ending fight between "Rowdy" Roddy Piper and Keith David is hilarious in its ridiculousness. However, I think calling They Live a horror movie is a bit of a stretch. My annoyance lies with the inconsistency of IMDb's genre tags rather than the voters. I just think it's a shame seeing movies with very few horror elements place on the countdown.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/65cc979f...p4hmo1_400.gif

I'm a fan of his films, but Nicolas Winding Refn strikes me as the sort of pompous artist who shoves paint tubes up his bum, farts colors on a canvas, then pleasures himself to his creation while under the delusion that he's created a true masterpiece. I do that, too, so I'm not knocking the man. I think The Neon Demon is his weakest film, although I've yet to watch Bleeder or Fear X. The film is visually resplendent with nearly every scene trigging multiple eyegasms (or should I say regurgitated eyegasms?), but the script is ponderous and stupid and in dire need of a sense of humor. Without the latter, the movie falls under the weight of its own pretentiousness.

Haven't seen The House that Jack Built. Von Trier is an audacious, extremely talented filmmaker, so I'm sure that this newest offering is yet another fine entry in his celebrated filmography. However, I think it's ridiculous that a film released just a few months ago is already on the countdown. People can vote for whatever the hell they want, and obviously The House that Jack Built has made a strong impression on viewers, but I would personally like to see people take a step back and allow brand new films to marinate a bit. Wait and see how you feel once the shine wears off. With the way this list is shaping up, I fear that A Quiet Place and Hereditary are going to be top-20 films. Maybe we should re-name this countdown 100 Horror Movies MoFos Recently Watched.

Iroquois 03-20-19 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 1997608)
It's part of Carpenter's end of the world trilogy so year
No, it's not. That would be The Thing (apocalypse by alien infection), Prince of Darkness (apocalypse by Antichrist), and In the Mouth of Madness (apocalypse by eldritch creatures breaking down reality). All of those more readily scream "horror" than They Live, which would have cracked my top 10 if I had ever even thought of it as horror. It's always seemed like more of a sci-fi/action piece to me where any horror elements are secondary at best. Now I wonder how many more movies are going to show up where I'm going to be all "Wait, I could've voted for that?"

As for The Neon Demon, I like it well enough and it's definitely an unsettling piece of work, but I didn't consider it for voting.

ScarletLion 03-20-19 09:01 AM

Glad the Neon Demon is in. Winding Refn's best movie. Absolutely superb film.

the samoan lawyer 03-20-19 10:37 AM

Only getting on here since last week, with St Paddys day and all that.
Great work Nos! Great layout and you can see the hard work you've put in.

Really enjoying the list so far. I voted for Kill List so a bit disappointed that it didn't make the list, I genuinely thought it would place top 50. Also voted for Neon Demon, 17th place I think, although it could easily have been higher. I rated it
so that gives you an indication of how tight my list is!
I've seen the other 5, with IWWAZ agonizingly missing out on making my list, on any other day it probably would have made it. I hated The Conjuring 2 and was mixed about They Live and The Host but The House that Jack Built was absolutely brilliant, LVT in fine form!

Looking forward to the next pair.

Mingusings 03-20-19 10:43 AM

Saw Neon Demon when it came out and thought it was incredible. It was my #10.

cat_sidhe 03-20-19 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by the samoan lawyer (Post 1997737)
Only getting on here since last week, with St Paddys day and all that.
Great work Nos! Great layout and you can see the hard work you've put in.

Really enjoying the list so far. I voted for Kill List so a bit disappointed that it didn't make the list, I genuinely thought it would place top 50. Also voted for Neon Demon, 17th place I think, although it could easily have been higher. I rated it
so that gives you an indication of how tight my list is!
I've seen the other 5, with IWWAZ agonizingly missing out on making my list, on any other day it probably would have made it. I hated The Conjuring 2 and was mixed about They Live and The Host but The House that Jack Built was absolutely brilliant, LVT in fine form!

Looking forward to the next pair.

LORD if us Neon Demon fans communicated before the countdown it could have gotten further.

I was budgeable with 1 on my list of so it COULD HAVE BEEN. :bawling:

the samoan lawyer 03-20-19 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by cat_sidhe (Post 1997741)
LORD if us Neon Demon fans communicated before the countdown it could have gotten further.

I was budgeable with 1 on my list of so it COULD HAVE BEEN. :bawling:

https://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-cont...ZZ37061BF7.jpg

cat_sidhe 03-20-19 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by the samoan lawyer (Post 1997744)

Also liked Kill List.

SADLY we were only allowed 25 each.:bawling:

John-Connor 03-20-19 10:59 AM

Let's hope Cap is wrong about Hereditary ending up top 20..

cat_sidhe 03-20-19 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 1997747)
Let's hope Cap is wrong about Hereditary ending up top 20..
Uh oh. :whistle:

John-Connor 03-20-19 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by cat_sidhe (Post 1997748)
Uh oh. :whistle:
https://media0.giphy.com/media/5gXYzsVBmjIsw/giphy.gif

cat_sidhe 03-20-19 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 1997756)
*COVER COUGH*

https://media2.giphy.com/media/Coejw...563262735a7f82

Iroquois 03-20-19 11:37 AM

I was thinking it'd at least crack the top 50. Not sure how much we can speculate about newer films taking over the based on three of the first six being from 2016 onwards, but if notoriously polarising recent films like The House That Jack Built and The Neon Demon can even make it on here over the likes of Near Dark then Hereditary is practically guaranteed to show up with a very respectable ranking.

7thson 03-20-19 11:48 AM

They Live was so high up on my list because I cannot remember both being frightened and laughing so much at the same time from a movie. It was also the last movie I saw with the family before I left to join the Army, so that day is special to me still. Might be a weird reason to love a movie so much, but even without that caveat I would still really love this flick. I was also a big wrestling fan and Piper was always a firecracker and I loved his unexpected exploits on the mat and in interviews. His physique was not that impressive and he was not that tall (comparatively speaking) but he made up for it in plain badassness.

Being a fan of his also did not hurt my biased assessment of the film.

The story itself was not exactly a new one all around, but it was pretty cool on how it was revealed and how it was written. I do think the ending is a little weak, not the idea of it but how it was played out on screen, but the ending wasn't really what the movie was about, not to me anyway.

One of my favorite moments is, of course, the long fight scene (6 minutes from what I was able to gather on Google) and is a classic- it had me laughing pretty hard and still does when I re-watch.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-0M_zxe5lK5...atTrashCan.png.

"I'm giving you a choice, either put on these glasses or start eating that trash can"

I understand the notion that it is more sci-fi then horror, but that goes for so many movies and this would rate pretty high in the sci-fi genre for me as well.

I need to watch The Host again and although I enjoyed the Conjuring movies, they did not make this list - they might make a top 100 list for me.

Awesome job so far, love all the feedback and the layout, if we ever do a top 25 of top 25 movie lists this would be like in the top 10.. :)

Iroquois 03-20-19 11:52 AM

Conversely, I remember a few years back when The Thing ended up being an honourable mention on an action countdown.

re93animator 03-20-19 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by MovieMeditation (Post 1997685)

I have seen most of Triers filmography but I purposely hold off on just a few because I’m not really in a hurry to get them watched. Movies like Europa aren’t out on HD yet so call
me silly but I’m also kinda just waiting to watch it in a beautiful transfer.
Europa is my fav of his behind The Element of Crime. It is gorgeous, but a lot of it lies in grit and grain. HD isn't really necessary to appreciate the visuals IMO.

MovieMeditation 03-20-19 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by re93animator (Post 1997774)
Europa is my fav of his behind The Element of Crime. It is gorgeous, but a lot of it lies in grit and grain. HD isn't really necessary to appreciate the visuals IMO.
I know, I'm just nitpicky like that. :D

I have actually seen like 1/3 of it or more. I liked what I saw. But something came up and I never finished it...