Olympics Bid 2012

Tools    

The original list of nine countries up for the the hosting iof the Olympic games of 2012 consisting of ....Havana, Istanbul, Leipzig, London, Madrid, Moscow, New York, Paris, Rio De Janeiro, has now been wittled down to a main five selection after an IOC vote.

London, Paris, New York, Moscow and Madrid.

Further details and links can be found here...
http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/....stm?display=1

As an Englander I would naturally like to see the Olympics came to London, but I guess its a matter of wait and see in July of 2005, when the final decision will be made.

I'd like to see it in Paris. I remember seing them host The 1998 World Cup and the atmosphere was great, but how may people go to the Olympics? I can't ever remember seeing one.

I am having a nervous breakdance
I think America has had the Olympics often enough lately with Salt Lake City and Atlanta. What talks against it being held in Europe is the fact that Athens is having it this year and it might be too soon to put it in Europe in 2012. What talks for it being held in Europe is that there are three (four, counting Moscow) european candidates, which all look fairly strong. Barcelona had it in 1992 though so that might speak against Madrid.

I would say that Paris and London are the favourites with Moscow as a lethal outsider. Beijing was considered a very controversial but brave choice considering China's lack of democracy and respect for human rights but this being their opportunity to "fix" those things in time for the Olympics. That might speak for Moscow in the same way. To shape up for the games, so to speak.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Moscow sounds good to me, but then nobody is asking me, I am allowed and opinion, I am a human with thoughts, but does anyone care, they should, I am a nice person, booooooreing, I am bored

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by nebbit
Moscow sounds good to me, but then nobody is asking me, I am allowed and opinion, I am a human with thoughts, but does anyone care, they should, I am a nice person, booooooreing, I am bored
Go watch your bunnies "play".

I'd like to see it come to New York because I live only an hour away Ha ha ha. I doubt it will because The USA has had the Olympics so many times already. One day though. One day it will be in Newyork. Same with Paris and London. As for Moscow, Not for atleast twenty years. Russia is just really fuked up right now and their cities are the most dangerous in the world. Beijing would get it before Moscow.

I am so pleased.

Better then...

Okay, so that means that London becomes the venue for the 2012 Olympics... where either the US or Russia will walk away with the majority of the gold medals awarded... which is kind of like watching a Swiss beat an American in the Wimbledon Men's singles final...

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by darkhorse
Okay, so that means that London becomes the venue for the 2012 Olympics... where either the US or Russia will walk away with the majority of the gold medals awarded (as usual)...
Hey man, the UK is going to win the tiddlywinks section for sure. I think we've got a good shout in the flower-arranging and bald-pate-polishing disciplines too.

And, at the end of the day, this means loads of money will get poured into London's creaky transport system... so.... i win!

Originally Posted by Golgot
And, at the end of the day, this means loads of money will get poured into London's creaky transport system... so.... i win!
Lets hope you are the winner

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by nebbit
Lets hope you are the winner
Don't get me wrong. I'd like it for our Victorian tube network to have signal boxes made of something other than spit and mutant rat skulls, so i could get to work in under an hour, but... it's the tiddlywinks gold that counts

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Wasn't really that bothered about the games until Chirac started shouting his mouth off.
I have loads of family in France, and have travelled extensively over there, but even by France's standard Chirac is one arrogant prick!!!
I'm on my way to the G8 summit to forcefeed him haggis, hopefully if I do the job right, he'll shut his arrogant pus long enough for me to call him a cheese-eating surrender monkey!!!
Sorry if this seems over the top, but my French cousin is staying with me for the next 5 weeks, and I've had enough of his arrogance, will take him out this weekend and introduce him to the wonders of a four day malt-whiskey hangover.
The horror, the horror...

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?