The Real story behind The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Tools    

The movie is literally based on a man named Ed Gein.

Before serial killing became a fashionable hobby, Ed Gein was doing terrible things to women in Wisconsin in the Fifties. Usually they were dead and he stole their bodies from the grave, but occasionally, when his mother told him, "It's time for you to do the Lord's work," they were alive. By then, his mother was also dead, which made it doubly weird.

It's important also to point out that Gein was the inspiration for Psycho, Deranged and The Silence of the Lambs. Ed adored his mother and she filled his young mind with images of Old Testament damnation and after she died, when he was 39, he became increasingly reclusive and strange. He would flay the flesh of unresurrected corpses and use the skin to make lampshades and chair covers and clothes.

He lived alone in a farmhouse, reading books on the female anatomy, Nazi war crimes and Polynesian head-shrinkers. The place was filled with macabre momentoes and junk. He ate tinned pork-and-beans and human body parts. He would go to the bar in the little town of Plainfield, where the locals made fun of him, and occasionally to a neighbour's house to watch TV and play draughts. His shyness with women was acute.

Living in a rural community during the Eisenhower era, when life was slow and easy with infinite care, he was a man tormented by visions caught between the need to bring the dead back to life, and do his mother's bidding. He is neither vicious, nor intimidating, rather sad and gentle. The madness that drives him belongs in another place.

Ed's mother controlled her children with an iron will. Religious mania clouded her judgement. She would save her boys from the wickedness of the world and destroy sin through the instrument of her second son, as Jehovah did at Sodom and Gomorrah. After her death, when she appears to Ed, she has become a figure of nightmares.

By day, Ed Gein was a quiet man who kept watch over the farm ,but by night, Gein was one of the most bizarre and dangerous psychopaths in recorded history. Raised by a violent alcoholic father and the mother (mentioned above) with an obsessive fear of sin and hatred of sex, Gein had very few friends, and after the death of his parents, Gein was left to his own devices on the family farm (where, under a government subsidy program, he was paid not to grow crops), and his unhealthy obsessions eventually became ugly realities. Gein's crimes included murder, necrophilia, cannibalism, and grave robbing, with Gein using the flesh and bones of his victims to construct household objects, including a suit and mask made from human skin that Gein used when he wanted to dress up as a woman (it's been suggested that some of Gein's crimes stemmed from a twisted attempt to deal with his desire to change his gender). In 1957, two murders committed by Gein attracted the attention of the police, leading to Gein's arrest; near the end of that year, he was declared criminally insane and was committed for life to Wisconsin's Waupan State Hospital, where he stayed until his death in 1984.

As for the chainsaw????

Wow, jason. You wrote a great piece here. Good job.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Originally Posted by jrs
I did "write it", I didn't say I used stuff or not.
Sounds more like "pasting" than "writing" to me. Or can I Control-C The Stand and claim it as my own?

You didn't "write it," dude, and you certainly shouldn't have accepted credit for it based on some minor editing and a tacked-on sentence at the end.

Originally Posted by Yoda
Sounds more like "pasting" than "writing" to me. Or can I Control-C The Stand and claim it as my own?

You didn't "write it," dude, and you certainly shouldn't have accepted credit for it based on some minor editing and a tacked-on sentence at the end.

i am not accepting credit. i wrote it means i typed it.

Originally Posted by jrs
i am not accepting credit. i wrote it means i typed it.
I'm not buying this. "I wrote it" means "I wrote it." People who take dictation for authors are not said to have "written" the books they typed. Moreover, I doubt you typed it; it's far more likely that you copied and pasted it.

Under no reasonable meaning of the word did you in any way "write" the post above. Sorry.

interesting post - regardless of who wrote it and who typed it

Originally Posted by Yoda
I'm not buying this. "I wrote it" means "I wrote it." People who take dictation for authors are not said to have "written" the books they typed. Moreover, I doubt you typed it; it's far more likely that you copied and pasted it.

Under no reasonable meaning of the word did you in any way "write" the post above. Sorry[
I said earlier that, that I did not tell you whether I copied or pasted. Not telling you does NOT mean I was taking credit and ....I WAS NOT. I was just posting something about Ed Gein.

Originally Posted by n7of9
interesting post - regardless of who wrote it and who typed it
Wow, finally someone who read, liked it and had no quarrel.

It was beauty killed the beast.
Originally Posted by jrs
I said earlier that, that I did not tell you whether I copied or pasted. Not telling you does NOT mean I was taking credit and ....I WAS NOT.
Kong said this to "Godfather" and he'll say it to you: Using material originally written by other people and not giving them credit for it is plagiarism, and a violation of copyright law. It's standard procedure to supply the reader with the source of anything you didn't write. So, in effect, even though you never openly said you wrote it yourself, you chose not to give credit to the people who wrote it leaving the implication that you yourself had written it.

This cut-and-paste plagiarism that has been occuring here recently needs to stop. Citing sources is incredibly easy, and there is no excuse for stealing material.

Interesting info Jrs… Serial killers are very strange… from what I remember about this, the guy who wrote Chain Saw Massacre heard a lot of the stories about Gein using the skin of his victims to make masks… hence the creation of Leather Face…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

The Deal With The Chainsaw
written by Sexy Celebrity

The idea for the chainsaw came to Tobe Hooper (original Chainsaw's writer/director) one day when he was shopping in a mall around Christmas time (I think it was that time), and the place was packed and he couldn't get past all of the people -- so he sees this chainsaw hanging on the wall in a hardware shop, and he gets the idea that if he could take that chainsaw and start it up (BUZZ BUZZ), he could use it on people to make them all run away, thus he'd get through the mall.

Lets put a smile on that block
This is a good post, apart from the arguments of course. Good topic for halloween.

Originally Posted by jrs
I said earlier that, that I did not tell you whether I copied or pasted.
It doesn't matter. You said you wrote it, but you didn't, because no one understands "write" to mean "type" or "copy and paste."

Originally Posted by jrs
Not telling you does NOT mean I was taking credit and ....I WAS NOT.
You're right, not telling us doesn't mean you were taking credit. But saying "thanks" when Slaytan congratulated you on writing it does.

Kong already laid this out: you're supposed to source these things. If you put your name on it, and no one else's, that's the same as taking credit for it. Especially if you accept praise for it.

A novel adaptation.
Originally Posted by jrs
I said earlier that, that I did not tell you whether I copied or pasted. Not telling you does NOT mean I was taking credit and ....I WAS NOT.
---->
Originally Posted by jrs
Quote:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Wow, jason. You wrote a great peice here. Good job.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks.

And to further the point: Did I "write" either of these posts?

My life isn't written very well.
Originally Posted by Herod
And to further the point: Did I "write" either of these posts?

No, but you did name the source(s).

r66-The member who always asks WHY?