House on Haunted Hill (1959)

Tools    

House on Haunted Hill (1959)

Without a doubt the single greatest American horror movie actor was Vincent Price. Price is justly famous for the movies based on Edgar Allan Poe stories that he made with director Roger Corman. Price also made several other quality horror flicks that were in living color. However, Price also starred in some strong black and white horror motion pictures. Of these, perhaps the best is the 1959 production House on Haunted Hill.

The single most unjustly forgotten member of the cast is Carol Ohmart who played the role of Annabelle Loren, the fifth wife of Frederick Loren. Ohmart was the 1946 Miss Utah and had been touted in Hollywood during the mid 1950’s as being the next Marilyn Monroe. Although her career did not live up to this billing, Ohmart comes off as a very real screen presence in this movie as she did in every other movie that she had a major role in. And yet her career sputtered along until her final film role in the outstanding 1974 horror flick, The Spectre of Edgar Allan Poe. It has been rumored that the reason this gifted actress did not make it in Hollywood is that she refused to engage in sexual acts with Hollywood big shots. Whatever the reason, Carol Ohmart certainly deserved better than the roles she got from Hollywood.

In the role of Annabelle Loren, Ohmart is outstanding. She is a strikingly beautiful blonde with fair skin. Her lightness is contrasted against the dark surroundings by the director, William Castle. Frederick Loren is angry with Annabelle and she in turn wants to get rid of him and apparently came close to succeeding in doing so in the past.

Two of the other members of the cast are pretty interesting as well. Elisha Cook, Jr., spent a career playing weasels and his character here, alcoholic Watson Pritchard, is a weasel in his own right. He also has a ghostly look to his face. Richard Long had a solid career as a dependable actor and he does not disappoint in his role as an airplane pilot.

Basically, the plot of House on Haunted Hill is that eccentric millionaire Frederick Loren (Vincent Price) has invited five people who he does not especially like to spend the night with him and his wife at their house. Those who spend the whole night in the house on Haunted Hill will receive $10,000 for their trouble. What the guests don’t realize is that Loren has some surprises in store for both them and his disloyal wife.

As you can see, this is a pretty unconventional plot for a horror movie. What’s more surprising is that it actually works. If you are in the mood for a horror movie that’s more than a bit unusual and is genuinely surprising, then House on Haunted Hill should be your cup of tea.

Sold! I just seen you thread and decided to watch House on Haunted Hill (1959), my library has it which is pretty cool. I've never seen it before but I'm a fan of Roger Corman movies, so I look forward to it. Thanks for posting about it.

Just watched it a couple weeks ago and really enjoyed it. A few twists and turns and I like that in movies.

I love this movie. One of Vincent Price's best. I actually enjoyed the remake too, although I could have done without all the horrible cgi ghost nonsense.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
i havent seen this for years but You're right, Vincent Price is always unforgettable. That voice!