anyone likes 1984's epic saga "Dune"?

→ in
Tools    

i've always loved space sagas, whether it's star trek or star wars, but then came the 80s and we had something called DUNE with kyle maclachlan, i've heard that this film got negative reviews from critics, i found the premise very nice and intriguing,
I didn't see this movie for approximately a decade because it had the reputation of being just bad, while i love david lynch's visions.
since the first scene and from that point on, being led through the strange world of the Emperor and his entourage on Kaitain, i was hooked. I loved the scope of it, the fact that I was being bombarded with very bad scores, which anyway it holds a 6.6/10 score at imdb
In my mind DUNE is a success because it completely sold me on Frank Herbert's universe.
in comparition to other movies based on existing literature, what we have here is a film which stays very close to the original story and does not add many new elements, which i don t understand the bad reviews for it.
It has a very mystical atmosphere about it and the story develops nicely. Of course there are some elements which are simply not explained and are therefore very confusing.
have your say, do you think that dune is a pretty good film by your own standards and why?

It still seems to be very underrated. I saw it before reading the book and I was hooked as well – even if some of the language was hard to follow I could still understand what was happening. The cast is brilliant, the set design is some of the best I've ever seen, and the idea of giving the society a kind of World War/Colonial look was perfect. As I became more familiar with the universe of Dune I understood things like the apparently simplistic technology (which is due to prioritising human skills and development following a war against machines as in The Terminator). I think even now the film comes over like a dark version of Flash Gordon, partly due to the 1930s styling.

I also think that the internal monologues work really well and the music is indispensable. I mentioned this recently:

Listened to bits of Toto's score again today. Impossible to imagine the film without it. It's an extremely emotive soundtrack and I particularly like how awesome and menacing Frank Herbert's future sounds, with that underlying note of tragedy.
The other thing that was very interesting was the idea of House Atreides developing sound into a weapon. What probably isn't clear in the film is that this derives from the Bene Gesserit Weirding Way. In the miniseries this is shown quite clearly and dynamically, as Paul's forces are able to demolish enemy soldiers without special weapons. I still like the sound devices as well though.

Its the best movie Lynch ever made and also the worst.

Its so bad it's good time of movie.

Anyway, another cool element of the movie is that it's complex, most Hollywood movies are tremendously simple in terms of writing but Dune is a movie that's complex enough for one to sink their teeth in.

Its so bad it's good time of movie.

Anyway, another cool element of the movie is that it's complex, most Hollywood movies are tremendously simple in terms of writing but Dune is a movie that's complex enough for one to sink their teeth in.
Yeah, it is complex. It requires something of the audience and that's no bad thing .

One of the things I thought about with David Lynch is that in Eraserhead and The Elephant Man there were visuals where even though what was on screen was, in some cases, very small it took on an epic scale. That made him the perfect director to go with for Dune because that epic, dreamlike state was already there in his arsenal. So through his execution the vastness of the Dune universe becomes even more imposing and the visions are pretty much effortless .

I saw a great behind-the-scenes 'home movie' on YouTube yesterday, filmed by Sean Young during filming.

It had it's moments, but the scifi channel Frank Herbert's Dune series was superior in everyway I thought.

Did you ever see the documentary Jodorowskys_Dune? About the Dune movie that almost was.
Now that might have done the books justice. Actually the doc is way better than either film. Any Dune fan has to seek it out

It had it's moments, but the scifi channel Frank Herbert's Dune series was superior in everyway I thought.

Did you ever see the documentary Jodorowskys_Dune? About the Dune movie that almost was.
Now that might have done the books justice. Actually the doc is way better than either film. Any Dune fan has to seek it out
The way I feel about it is that I thought the design in the film was outstanding and pretty much exactly how I imagine the universe of Dune. The series was excellent and kept much more to the book which I liked but one thing that I hated was the way they pronounced Chani as Chay-nee. Now that might make people think of Dick Cheney but it made me think of Lon Chaney – either way not a particularly feminine sound for that character.

No, I haven't seen that one yet. I did see another Dune that starred Susan Sarandon as Jessica.

Yup, I seen that. I even reviewed it here at MoFo too.
My review of: Jodorowskys Dune

No, I haven't seen that one yet. I did see another Dune that starred Susan Sarandon as Jessica.
You're thinking of Children of Dune, where she plays Wensicia.