Films you disliked at first, but now love

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The first one that comes to mind is "Last Tango In Paris" - Brando has always been my favorite actor, but when I was 17, I thought it was pseudo-intellectual BS, but then saw it again when I was 30 and it's a favorite of mine.

I think I felt the same way about "La Dolce Vita" - a lot of waste perhaps, and inside damning the film until it ended, although I don't care for the end, spending a long time on an orgy that never happens, the only dialogue is, "Come on strip" (in so little words). The first time I saw the woman who is celebrating her annulment, it looked like a man! Which led me to an earlier conversation when Marcello is having a conversation with his father, and his dad says how during one of those shows, the girl is actually a guy.

This is more of a recent one, but I hated Man Of Steel at first, but now I really quite enjoy it. I wouldn't say I LOVE it.

Here's a few of mine,

Drive, Black Swan, The Wrestler, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Festen (The Celebration), Kill Bill 2, Memento

Some of these even ended up being some of my all time favourites and perfect 10's. I think it was a combo of watching the movie at an too early age and watching the movie when not in the mood. So glad I gave all these that rewatch though!

Pulp Fiction.

Magnolia for me .

They're mostly comedies.

Wes Anderson's Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums, Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo, and The Farrelly Brothers' Stuck On You come to mind.

Didn't like Blue Velvet that much at first, and if you want proof, try and find the review of it when I first watched it in the Rate the Last Movie You Saw thread. But after seeing it a second time, I realized how good it was. And now it's in my top ten, AND Frank Boothe is my avatar.
Fire walk with me.

I didn't dislike Magnolia the first time I saw it, which was at the cinema on a date and I was doing more 'making out' than actually watching the movie. I remember, especially by the end of it, I was confused but absolutely mesmerized by what was going on: the actors singing along to the soundtrack song Wise Up, frogs falling from the sky, Tom Cruise simulating and talking aggressively about sex, all the actors screaming at each other (Tom Cruise screaming at his dying father and then breaking down and crying, Julianne Moore screaming at the pharmacist, the boy contestant screaming at the game show host, the cop screaming at himself for losing his gun, the junkie screaming at her father who is also that same game show host).

I fell in love with the movie at second viewing on cable.

The first time I saw Pulp Fiction, it was in Saudi Arabia where I was living at the time.

The movie, surprisingly, was re-edited and put in order of events. So, the movie ended with John Travolta dead, and Bruce Willis riding off on the chopper with Fabianne.

I didn't understand the true genius of the movie until I saw the real version months later.

Make a better place

The good, the bad and the ugly

for some reason, I thought it's a boring pointless movie the first time I watched it

now it's one of my favorite movies of all time

I have a Magnolia story.. It was on a double cassette, and I put the second tape in first! Then realized, oops! A few months later I met this girl at college who had similar tastes (and introduced me to Blue Velvet and David Lynch), and watched it correctly, since I told her what happened, and it was a favorite of mine since.

As previously mentioned, age always helps. I even re-evaluate movies from a few years ago, and five years from now will watch what I saw today.

I might give 8 1/2 another chance..

Nice avatar of John Lennon. I bet if there was a film called, "I Am The Walrus" it would sell pretty good... Good documentary name at least.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Man on the Moon (1999)

I watched it when I was 17 and I found it pointless and ridiculous... I rewatched it some years later and I realized it was amazing! One of Jim Carrey's finest!

Lord High Filmquisitor
This constantly happens to me with Tarantino. I hated Inglourious Basterds the first time I saw it (I gave it a 2/10). A visiting friend later requested that we watch it and I was floored at how much I ended up loving it the second time around (9.5, very nearly a 10).

When I first saw Persona (1966) Directed by Ingmar Bergman I didn't understood the movie, you basically have to get some notions in psychoanalysis to enjoy the story and to find the relation between unconsciousness and the Trinity doctrine.

Now I love the movie even if I'm not christian.
Sites for legal streaming, the best streaming platforms
Look at torrents français, a good source to find french torrents

That's okay. Nobody's perfect!
For me it's "Gone With The Wind" (1939) Victor Fleming.

The time I watched it I absolutely hated it, especially the last line. I was focusing on entirely the wrong elements in the movie, such as the idealized view of southern life. I thought of it as a Clark Gable picture and dismissed the strong performance of Vivien Leigh. Having read some appreciations of the movie's themes, I have a new respect for it and eagerly await the 75th Anniversary Blue Ray edition TBR on Sept. 30.

I'd like to give "Gone with the wind" another chance. I know it's long, so it has to be an event where I have so many hours to watch it. I never saw how the "I don't give a damn" was such a great moment...

I couldn't stand Persona the first time I watched it. I guess I feel that way about Bergman's silent films, when half of the movie is silence, even though The Seventh Seal and Wild Strawberries are a top 10-20 of all-time.

Man on the Moon (1999)

I watched it when I was 17 and I found it pointless and ridiculous... I rewatched it some years later and I realized it was amazing! One of Jim Carrey's finest!
Glad to see you learned to appreciate Carrey's work in Man on the Moon...the movie is sort of rambling and unfocused but Carrey's performance is so spooky in its accuracy that I found myself mesmerized.

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.
Moulin Rouge! I didn't think it was particularly great at first, but now that I think about it I really enjoyed quite a few of those dazzling, over-the-top musical numbers.

Trouble with a capital "T"
I tried watching Moulin Rouge twice. The sets and the filming looked so great and one heck of a tragic love story too. I really wanted to like this film.

BUT both times I walked away from it because of the modern sound track used for a 1899 Paris setting.....Uggh

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.
I tried watching Moulin Rouge twice. The sets and the filming looked so great and one heck of a tragic love story too. I really wanted to like this film.

BUT both times I walked away from it because of the modern sound track used for a 1899 Paris setting.....Uggh
I guess it's Baz Luhrmann's anachronistic style. I did like some of the score (Nicole Kidman's "One Day I'll Fly Away" solo was especially breathtaking, especially with such as stunning set), but it definitely got extremely awkward at times. Especially the medleys.