Advice from bloggers

Tools    

I need some help from any bloggers on here. I want to start a blog to keep track of films I've watched and reviews of them (mainly for my own benefit), but I'm not really sure how to set it up. I've done a bit of research into blog sites etc and found http://website.1and1.co.uk/website-builder which seems pretty straight forward to use and set up. Has anyone else used them? What things do I need to know?

The downside of solutions like that, of course, is that they're going to be really boilerplate. And I think that's usually more catered to people who need a corporate site, or even a semi-personal one. But if you literally just want a functional blog, you have a lot more options--WordPress and Blogspot being two of the simplest and most popular platforms. Medium is an up-and-comer you might want to look at, as well. Also, they're all free (or have free options).

'Course, you could always start a thread here and list your thoughts as you go--lots of people do that.

Best of luck.

What Yoda said. I like you, started looking into hosting my own websites at a young stage of my internet age, and initially used free hosting. I think I used 000webhost and used Filezilla (which I still use) to manually upload wordpress files myself, although by now I could code a decent website from scratch myself, I would still recommend using wordpress for a CMS. There are loads of great themes, plugins and online support too.

But if you're not comfortable with doing a bit of the backend work, hosting, DNS, file uploading etc. - all of which should be needed for self hosting, although 1&1 does seem like something that cuts a lot of it out - then simply use the wordpress.com site (or other blogging platforms) that give you a .wordpress.com domain which will let you do almost all the same options as wordpress.org, and also gives you a few more options to interact with fellow bloggers.

Also if it's for your own benefit, is it worth shelling out money to set up a website instead of doing it for free? You could even set up a local site to get a hang of wordpress, filezilla, etc. before you're more comfortable with doing it online.

But last and most importantly, as Yoda said, you should look to get involved here. Loads of people have review threads, and it doesn't matter if you're only posting ratings, and not reviews, anything to do with movies is pretty much welcome, and the massive upside of course is that massive interaction you'll get with other users and opportunities to get involved with other movie related stuff, plus, I wouldn't say this site's going anywhere