Karate Kid 2

Tools    

It's an odd thing to be posting a this, but it does seem to be happening that Jaden Smith and Jackie will be having a second Karate Kid movie. Here's a link talking about it:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014...n-karate-kid-2

Any thoughts about this? Anyone want to see it? I liked the 2010 film so I'd like to see how this one works out.

A system of cells interlinked
I disliked the idea of the remake when it came out, but dammit, it was pretty damn good. I will probably watch the second one.

The remake was awful I thought.

Karate Kid... being taught a completely different martial art to Karate...

Unoriginal. Badly written. Badly acted. Badly executed. Bad finale with Jaden, who was struggling with balancing on his own two feet somehow pulling a move that even a seasoned gymnast would struggle with.

Didn't like it at all and this sequel is everything that's wrong with Hollywood.

A system of cells interlinked
Remakes aren't meant to be original.

I also and not a big fan of the idea of the remake, as I mentioned, but I still found the film entertaining, even as I waved my fist at it.

I do agree with Rodent to some extent, in that the film certainly wasn't necessary, and I will always like the original better, as I grew up with it and there is a certain level of nostalgia there.

However, I liked the scenes in China, and I used to practice Kung Fu in the 80s and 90s, so I am kind of partial to soft styles like the ones showcased in the film.

The fight scenes were more exciting to me at the end, and I thought that portion of the film was directed well.

Nope, J Smith can't act, and I won't argue there, but Chan's performance was one of his best, especially for a relatively limited action star such as himself. I found his histrionics convincing and human. No one tops Morita, but Chan was on point.

Karate Kid (1984)

Karate Kid (2010)
+

I didn't hold much hope for the remake tbh when it was first announced... maybe that's why I sat through the whole thing with my face in my palm.

I was so bored by the film tbch... it just wasn't warranted.

For me, the whole point of a remake or even a retake, Carpenter's take on The Thing (Who Goes There?)is an example, is to better the original film outing.
Taking something that worked so well and remaking it is pointless. It'd be like remaking Jaws or trying to remake, say, The Deer Hunter or even Close Encounters.
Karate Kid was so good, it just didn't need it.