films you can watch with your mom

Tools    

When I say your mom, I of course mean MY mom. What's the big diff you ask? She's sensitive. Simply cannot stand violence, drugs or any otherwise "un-carebear-ness." Though she claims to have watched "Dirty Harry", "Play Misty For Me", and other such droolables in her youth (Huh! Go figure!), she can no longer endure even a fraction of suspense or any form of un-meaningful action/ stunts.
She likes romances. But now I cannot bear those. You see the problem. Whatever is left over is devoid of real interest to one or the other of us. Or so I thought. Napolean Dynomite. (No violence, but still interesting enough to keep my short attention span.) Are there anymore films like that out there?
you WILL help me...(using the force)

Chappie doesn't like the real world
My suggestions are going to be nothing close to Napolean Dynamite which is fine because that is a truly awful movie. How about things like Bringing Up Baby or Some Like it Hot? If you've both seen them they are worth seeing more than once. Babe is also a great movie no matter what age you are.

Honestly though, I think you should just let her pick the movie and enjoy the fact that she is enjoying the movie. She is your mum after all.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
My mom is pretty much the same way so I have to be very careful when I pick a movie to watch with her. Her favorites are Apallo 13, Jurassic Park, Congo, Sphere, Breach and for some really odd reason K2 which is a great movie but my mom dosen't watch R rated movies but I tricked her into watching K2 once and she loves it. My mom likes action and intense, but hates blood and nudity, you'd think someone that old would have seen it all but whatever.

Semper Fooey
The Sting

Movies similiar to Napoleon Dynamite?
Rushmore
Adventureland
The Royal Tennenbaums
Mother

plus a few emo drama suggestions:
One true thing
Marvin's room
Places in the heart
The savages
Rabbit hole
City Island (more a comedy)

What about Casablanca? My mom loves that movie, it was also her dad's favorite film

But then again, I watch movies with my dad way more often than my mom, though she is trying to get into the classics lately.

Well, my mom is an odd one (sort of like me).

The first movie I remember watching with her was The Legend of Boggy Creek (Bigfoot monster movie) and since then it's always been about creepy horror flicks. We don't do slasher much... mostly B&W mystery/horror type stuff or good ghost story flicks. She did take me to see Psycho 2 in the theaters in the early 80's as well as Ghost Story and a plethora of others.

Put me in your pocket...

Lars and the Real Girl might be a fit for both you and your mom. No crudity, blood or violence, just a wonderfully quirky and sweet story about a man coping with his fears through a blow up doll, and how his family and the community help/support him. Your mom doesn't have to worry about anything inappropriate shown with the doll, Lars is very respectful to her. It's very touching and endearing.

I love this movie to pieces and watched it with my daughter...she loved it as well. It's one of the few movies I've actually bought in the past few years, since we've been cutting back on everything.

How is your mom (and you) with intrigue or character movies like Doubt, Frost/Nixon or The Kings Speech?

Also, you might want to find out what actors/actresses she likes and try to find something they've done that you both will like. My mom LOVES William Holden and will watch anything with him in it. I love Olivia de Havilland and my daughter recently nudged me to take her to see The Dark Mirror at the AFI during a film noir fest. Turned out she liked it as much as me and is now on a film noir kick. So, my point if you dig a little bit into other things your mom likes, other than romances, maybe you can discover something new with your mom and like it as well.

Sudoku Blackbelt
If it were me, I'd just grin and bear it and watch what my mom wants to watch. It's a small sacrifice, and as a bonus, I'd get to spend time with my mom.

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
"Groundhog Day"
"The Princess Bride"
"The Terminal"
"Pleasantville"
"Julie and Julia"
"October Sky"
"Secondhand Lions"
"Away We Go"
"Billy Elliott"