help understanding Pink Floyd lyrics

Tools    

I just listened to this song called Mother, by Pink Floyd.
and some of the lyrics I don't quite understand, I underline them,they go like this:

Mother do you think they'll drop the bomb?
Mother do you think they'll like this song?
Mother do you think they'll try to break my balls?
Mother should I build the wall?
Mother should I run for president?
Mother should I trust the government?
Mother will they put me in the firing line?
Mother am I really dying?

Hush now baby, baby, dont you cry.
Mother's gonna make all your nightmares come true.
Mother's gonna put all her fears into you.
Mother's gonna keep you right here under her wing.
She wont let you fly, but she might let you sing.
Mama will keep baby cozy and warm.
Ooooh baby ooooh baby oooooh baby,
Of course mama'll help to build the wall.

The mother is overprotective, she wants her kid to be under her swing all the time,but when she tries to calm the kid down, why she said " mother's gonna make all your nightmares come true?" It appears to me pretty weird.

can you guys help me with this? any ideas are welcomed

The way I hear those lyrics is that they are coming from the perspective of the kid and not the mother. Sort of like how he would hear her inside of his own head versus her actually speaking to him.

The Wall is a drama that takes place almost entirely inside the mind of "Pink" with a little outside interruption here and there. 'Mother' is a reflection backward and the final line is an indicator that he understands his mother's place in his emotional troubles.

The way I hear those lyrics is that they are coming from the perspective of the kid and not the mother. Sort of like how he would hear her inside of his own head versus her actually speaking to him.

The Wall is a drama that takes place almost entirely inside the mind of "Pink" with a little outside interruption here and there. 'Mother' is a reflection backward and the final line is an indicator that he understands his mother's place in his emotional troubles.
thanks,that helped a lot.I was thinking this is weird, the mother says:hush,hush,baby,I'll make your nightmares come true???this makes no sense.so it's like the mother's overprotectiveness makes her threaten the child of the danger of the world so that he's afraid to leave the safe haven under her wings,is that right? she didn't say it, but the kid can read her minds.
who is the lyricist of this song,by the way.

Roger Waters

The entire album (The Wall) was written as a sort of semi autobiography. Water's dad was killed in WW2 and he was raised in post war England. He had a lot of emotional issues stemming from this and wrote The Wall as a kind of therapeutic release.

It's nearly all about his inner war with himself. The soldiers and battles you hear going on throughout the album represent the outer world trying to break in. There are many personalities represented as well, all are 'personas' created to deal with emotional turmoil.

It's really quite a brilliant album. Poetry to music is actually a better descriptor.

A system of cells interlinked
Roger Waters

Poetry to music is actually a better descriptor.
It's interesting that one of my friends is collecting the information about Der Fischer(The Fisherman),a little poem by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, he finds these tunes composed according to the poem.

back to the band,I've been listening to this band lately.A former teacher of mine,who is also a drummer in a band called KGB(interesting,huh?)is quite fond of it.This Pink Floyd is also mentioned in Juno,American Beauty as the character's fancy,so I thought it would be a good choice.It turned out there are so many stories behind every single song,well ,I'm not merely talking about this album,others like Leaving Beirut, Watching TV, etc. I've never listened to any concept albums before, this is a whole new experience for me.

Whatever you do. Do not drop LSD and then listen to The Wall for 4 hours straight and definitely do not watch the film on LSD. I'm serious. I've done both and it seriously changed my entire psyche. Not really in a bad way but it changed me nonetheless. I can't watch the film to this day without having serious flashbacks.

Whatever you do. Do not drop LSD and then listen to The Wall for 4 hours straight and definitely do not watch the film on LSD. I'm serious. I've done both and it seriously changed my entire psyche. Not really in a bad way but it changed me nonetheless. I can't watch the film to this day without having serious flashbacks.
Sounds pretty scary,and somewhat reminds me of Requiem for a Dream,that one is very disturbing.
How did this film change you anyway?

Well, that's a pretty tough one to just lay out all in one post. The best thing I can tell you is to simply suggest you keep sticking around here and reading and posting and then as you get to know me better you'll pick up little things here and there. I'm pretty open about all of the things I've done but it would take up several pages for me to lay it all out for you.

I will say though that Requiem for A Dream doesn't hold a candle to The Wall. Or perhaps they're just completely different animals. Requiem is really about drug use and The Wall definitely isn't. That's not to say that it doesn't have drug use in it. It does, but that is not what The Wall is about.

I'm pretty open about all of the things I've done but it would take up several pages for me to lay it all out for you.
seems like we can have a press conference here,then you can just lay it all out by shooting words,only kidding .

I still haven't seen the wall yet,I'll go and check if u had listed the wall as your life changing movie.

Welcome to the human race...
To be honest, I sort of feel tempted to actually do that.

To be honest, I sort of feel tempted to actually do that.
Well if you do make sure you get some good stuff. I don't know if you can even get good LSD these days. Remember though. I warned you.