Great Movies Made in your Home Town or City

Tools    

The Groundstar Conspiracy(1972)

This movie was made in my City Vancouver B.C. staring my manA-Team George Peppard and it tops any of the Conspiracy movies beginning made today in my opinion movies like The Pelican Brief & The Conspiracy theory.

Check it out it's got a great tight story good acting all around and some pretty cool suspence scene.

The Story is not push it's about a man with no identity who doesn't know what happened to him he goes threw ton's of rigerous anwsers & question by Peppard than get's away and trys to track down who he is and why he can't remember. It's one of those 70's Films that got really over looked I found it on VHS so it's probably really hard to rent or buy definatly worth checking out.

So tell me a great movie that was made in your home town or city?

Living just outside Baltimore, I've had a good handful of great movies made on nearby soil, but my absolute favorites are writer/director Barry Levinson's first three "Baltimore Films": Diner (1982), Tin Men (1987) and Avalon (1990).

The fourth in this 'series', Liberty Heights (1999), is OK, but not up to the very high standard of the first three. When Liberty Heights was about to be released, here in town at The Charles Theatre I attended an all-day marathon of the four films plus a Levinson documentary, Diner Guys, about the childhood buddies he based his original brilliant script on. I saw all five films, starting at 9:00am. Great day.

I think Diner is the all-around best of the three, Tin Men is the funniest, and Avalon is the most beautiful, but all three are excellent. Levinson's dialogue, especially in Diner and Tin Men, is just amazing, hysterical, true stuff. I'm sure there's an added element of interest for me in these films, seeing as they create a much more innocent Baltimore of years gone by, but I'm also sure I'd love these movies even if I had never been within 15,000 miles of Maryland. They're just great flicks.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Universal Soldier 2.

I know a lot of movies have been filmed in and around Dallas, but I can't think of any besides that one (and Dr. T and the Women) off-hand.

They filmed "Gung Ho" around where I live...as well as "Sudden Death" (ooohh, great movie, eh? ) and "Wonder Boys," I think. My mom probably knows of a dozen more that I'm forgetting. I know "Inspector Gadget" was filmed in downtown Pittsburgh, too.

Commish, besides Wonder Boys, The Deer Hunter, Night of the Living Dead, Flashdance and Bob Roberts were all shot primarily in and around Pittsburgh. So was the opening of Groundhog Day and a couple bits from The Silence of the Lambs.

Ryan, David Byrne's True Stories was shot all over Dallas. So were parts of Mike Nichols' Silkwood, Duvall's The Apostle, the Indie-hit Boys Don't Cry and the Sci-Fi classic Logan's Run. Also Oliver Stone's Talk Radio, Any Given Sunday and of course JFK. Parts of RoboCop were filmed in Dallas too. But the most famous film ever made there will always be Abraham Zapruder's.

Some of the non-Levinson movies shot in Baltimore are Gilliam's 12 Monkeys, Norman Jewison's ...And Justice For All, Men Don't Leave with Jessica Lange, and Larry Kasdan's The Accidental Tourist. And then there's John Waters' entire filmography.

Robert Altman's That Cold Day in the Park (1969)
great flick that was shot in and around Vancouver has anyone checked this movie out.

it's really weird Sandy Dennis plays a distraught woman with unstable thoughts towards a boy she see in a park they both play games with each other till one thing leeds to the next I don't won't to give any more away.

Lazslo Kovacs was the cinematography and it's amazing and Robert Altman style of camera movies and overlaping audio tracks galore.

Got any good ones for me Holden??

Not surprisingly, I love That Cold Day in the Park. Altman's first great movie, just before he exploded with M*A*S*H. And Sandy Dennis was always a favorite of mine.

An even greater Altman movie was filmed in the mountains outside Vancouver: McCabe & Mrs. Miller. One of my favorite films of 2001, Sean Penn's The Pledge, was shot in Vancouver and around B.C. So were portions of another Nicholson classic, Five Easy Pieces. Cronenberg's Crash was shot in Vancouver. Chris Guest's latest imporovsational masterpiece Best in Show had Vancouver doubling for Philadelphia. Steve Martin's Roxanne used those magnificent B.C. mountains as their Colorado. The beautiful Snow Falling on Cedars had B.C. double for Washington State.

Two high-profile upcoming movies are using Vancouver: the Daredevil flick and Christopher Nolan's follow-up to Memento, a re-make of Erik Skjoldbaerg's brilliant 1997 Norwegian thriller Insomnia, starring Al Pacino, Hillary Swank, Maura Tierney and Robin Williams.

As I'm sure Jeffries knows, Vancouver is used by Hollywood all the time, especially for TV shows in the past twenty years or so. It's so much cheaper up there, so Canadian cities like Vancouver and Toronto are used to double for New York or any other big city. The most famous is probably "The X-Files", but some of the many dozen other television series that have used Vancouver as their base are "Highlander", "Sliders", "MacGyver", "Airwolf", "Wiseguy", "21 Jump Street", "Cupid", and "The Commish".

gone
James Bond!

OK so it's not a great movie, but its the only one to be filmed in my local shopping centre

(the multi-story car-park scene - Brent Cross shopping centre, London)

can't even remember which bond it was though - tomorrow never dies/ goldeneye / world is not enough

the pierce brosnan one with a beamer...

Moby Dick, the old one with Gregory Peck was filmed in my locality. There's even a pub called Moby Dick still there. But that was way before my time.

More recently, a film starring Johnny Depp, Debra Winger and Marlon Brando was to be shot. I think it was to be called Divine Rapture. But somebody ran off with the money and it never happened.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Originally posted by goodf3lla
...can't even remember which bond it was though - tomorrow never dies/ goldeneye / world is not enough

the pierce brosnan one with a beamer...
I believe that is Tomorrow Never Dies. They all pretty much mix together for me, so I really have no idea.

I really don't think any movies, that I'm aware of, have been shot AROUND my town. If you happened to see the movie Picnic, which was written by William Inge (a native to Independence, Ks) you would have seen things involving my town. Here are the ones I can remember: Neewollah (Queen Neelah), Riverside Park. Those are what I CAN remember, it's been a while since I've seen it, but I kid you not, we have both of those things here.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Here's some I know:

Urban Cowboy, filmed in Pasadena Texas.

Robocop 2, I was in art school at the University of Houston and we painted the sets.

Twins... partially.

The Chase: Right title(?) Charlie Sheen running from the cops... They show a scene where he's running through the mexican border. That was actually a toll booth on the Hardy toll road ten minutes from my house. BTW, last time I was up there that booth was still pink and blue

Now With Moveable Parts
Hitchcock's The Birds, was filmed NEAR me. Nothing but a stinkin' Ford commercial was actually filmed IN my town, though.

Offhand I can only think of one movie filmed around Manassas, Virginia (where I live): Deep Impact. The part where everyone is on the interstate to get away from the coast towards the end was actually filmed on a road that I drive on every day. Pretty cool.

Washington DC is nearby as well, and there's oodles of movies that were filmed there.

Now With Moveable Parts
Whoa. That is neat..to drive on that road. I kinda liked that movie too. The tidal wave scene was pretty cool; not to mention a guy like Morgan Freeman for a president would be great.

Traffic actually people involved in location scouting for the film wanted to film it in our house first but my father turned them down so they filmed it in the same Country Club area a few streets down from ours.....

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Must have a nice house for them to consider filming there.

If you think the tidal wave seen in Deep Impact was special, just watch The Abyss and tell me that tidal wave wasn't awesome.

Ocean's 11, both of 'em
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me