5) Funny Pages
Cold Case Hammarskjold is a good doc. Tender Mercies is ok
Haven’t seen the other 3.

March:

Charade (1963)
Toy Story (1995)
The Super Mario Bros Movie (2023)

I forgot the opening line.
Man oh man - here we go. I've been dedicated to watching great movies this year, and as such I've watched (mostly for my watchlist thread) the following beautiful works of cinematic wonder : Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors, Man With a Movie Camera, Cléo from 5 to 7, Le Bonheur, Vortex, It's Such a Beautiful Day, Black Rain, Great Freedom and 20 Days in Mariupol.

I can't go without mentioning all of the other films that generally wowed me : Enys Men, The Iron Claw, Smile (1975), Oslo, August 31st, Perfect Days, Miracle in Milan, The Novice, May December, Aferim!, Le Grand Amour, Two Half-Times in Hell, The Suicide Squad, Late Night With the Devil, The Butcher, La terra trema, Vagabond, The Devil in a Convent, The Teachers' Lounge, Leave Her to Heaven, Let's Scare Jessica to Death, Koyaanisqatsi and the 'not-quite-a-film-but-I'm-including-it limited series Baby Reindeer.

The trick is not minding
A stellar month!

In no particular order, the best first time viewings of this month are as follows:

Castle of Sand
The Spirit of the Beehive
Captain’s Courageous
Twenty Four Eyes
Asako I&II
Birth
Ministry of Fear
Happy Hour
The Heart of the World

Last month was a case of quality over quantity. I only caught four movies and with the exception of Cannibal Terror, which is still an awful good time, they were all excellent.

So it boils down to Infernal Affairs, Aftersun and Lilya 4-ever. Hmmm...Gotta go with Lilya 4-ever with Aftersun a very close second.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Twenty-Four Eyes is a heart test. If you don't cry, you have no heart.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Shout out to Le Havre, which I also gave 5 stars to. Plus got me excited for a director who I haven’t watched anything from yet.

My winner is a very underrated movie in an all time greats oeuvre though. This Happy Breed is an absolutely fantastic working class folk drama. Amazing script, and a possible new favorite.

I watched 107 films last month. My favourite first time viewings of April 2024:
(all rated 8/10 or higher)

Grummy (2021)
The Debut (1977)
Smoke Sauna Sisterhood (2023)
Abigail (2024)
Challengers (2024)
Our Friend (2019)
Regrouping (1976)
Caged (1950)
#Blackmendream (2014)

My favourite rewatches:

The Kid Detective (2020)
But I’m a Cheerleader (1999)
Vampire’s Kiss (1988)
Under the Silver Lake (2018)
The Last Seduction (1994)

All I watched this month was Sunset Boulevard. However, that movie was an easy 5/5 as this movie was a real treat from the dialogue to Gloria Swanson and William Holden’s performances. I was not expecting what I saw when I watched it as Norma Desmond was probably one of the most intimidating characters that I have ever seen in a movie. Then the twist at the end shocked me despite expecting it as I never knew that William Holden was going to be narrating the actions from Heaven. Overall, Sunset Boulevard is now my favorite noir and probably the best of the three Wilder movies that I have seen which says a lot considering that I loved Double Indemnity and The Apartment.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1426.png
Views:	43
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	98832  

April '24:

Elevator to the Gallows: A French noir classic that reminds me of this joke: "how do you make God laugh? Make a plan."

Line Goes Up - The Problem With NFTs: A comprehensive documentary about the dissatisfaction with our financial system that led to the rise of cryptocurrency, NFTs, etc., and how this system became even more insidious. It's long at 2+ hours, but it's never dull. You can watch it on YouTube.

Beauty and the Beast (1978) - A Czechoslovakian and much darker version of the tale than the Disney ones, but no less beautiful.

For rewatches, I most thoroughly enjoyed Kiki's Delivery Service.

For new movies, thanks to the noir rankings, I watched Pickup on South Side, and Moonrise (1948). Both amazing movies. There are others, but those two stuck with me the most.

The trick is not minding
Twenty-Four Eyes is a heart test. If you don't cry, you have no heart.
I didn’t cry, but it certainly was heart rending. The tragedies she endured were awful!
And that scene where she leads the students like the head of a train was so adorable! Truly a masterpiece!