MoFo Forum Upgrade

Tools    

Hey MoFos.

Some of you might remember me talking about upgrading to the latest forum software when the next stable release came out. Well, vBulletin 3.8 Gold will be released this Thursday, January 8th.

As it so happens, I have some work-related things to do Thursday night, so the upgrade will likely take place sometime between Friday and Tuesday, depending on a variety of factors. Mainly, I'll be waiting for the free time necessary to debug a few things post-upgrade, and I'll be waiting for some diminished forum activity (IE: probably fairly late at night).

I'll update this thread when I have a better idea of when the upgrade might take place, though it's entirely possible I'll just up and do it if I have the time and the conditions are right.

Just wanted to let ya'll know.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Awesome mate look forward to see the upgrade.

I'm looking forward to the upgrade, Yoda.

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

The Adventure Starts Here!
Hey, TheDOMINATOR, I see Empire Records in your sig. A childhood friend of mine was involved with the music for that movie/soundtrack. Something like Music Producer or something.... I have to get out my CD and check, but I've always thought it cool that she worked on that movie's music.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Oops, sorry, O.T. there.

Yods, how long offline when it happens? Can you put up a placeholder announcement that we'd see at that point, if it's going to be a long time? Or won't that be necessary?

Will anything change from this upgrade? Or does it just make it run faster and smoother?
There will be a number of new features. I've also been working on a new forum home page, which I'll make public around (or at) the same time as the upgrade.

In addition to the new standard features, running the latest version will allow me to install some of the newer modifications available, as well, so expect plenty of new stuff in the weeks that follow the upgrade, too.

Yods, how long offline when it happens? Can you put up a placeholder announcement that we'd see at that point, if it's going to be a long time? Or won't that be necessary?
There'll be a message letting people know that we're upgrading the forum while it's happening.

Re: how long. The actual upgrade probably won't take more than 30 minutes or so (probably significantly less). But I'll probably have to spend a fair bit of time afterwards re-applying customizations I've made and making sure most of the new stuff works. That could be an hour or two, just to make sure most of the important stuff works.

It'll be ongoing, though; I fully expect to spend several days squashing smaller bugs.

Hey, TheDOMINATOR, I see Empire Records in your sig. A childhood friend of mine was involved with the music for that movie/soundtrack. Something like Music Producer or something.... I have to get out my CD and check, but I've always thought it cool that she worked on that movie's music.
That's pretty awesome, Austruck. I wish I knew someone who was involved in a theatrical film, but I don't. I have an uncle who guarded top-security government establishments at one point in his career, so that's something.

No -- wasn't ever planning to, though. I have some work-related stuff to do tonight, so it'll have to wait a bit. I might have a go at it tomorrow, but more likely it'll happen sometime over the weekend, or early next week.

RightUpTheLittleTramps@ss !
We wont loose anything right? I mean what we post wont be lost correct? Are avatars, favorite movies, pictures, etc. they wont get deleted during the upgrade will they? Just making sure.

Arnie Cunningham- Right up the little tramps @ss!

We wont loose anything right? I mean what we post wont be lost correct? Are avatars, favorite movies, pictures, etc. they wont get deleted during the upgrade will they? Just making sure.
Yep, but only if your first name is Martian. If that's the case, then you can just kiss all your things goodbye!

Yep, but only if your first name is Martian. If that's the case, then you can just kiss all your things goodbye!
LOL

Pfft. Of course. Unless something goes horribly wrong, yes, everything will be saved. We're not switching servers or anything -- just upgrading software.

My life isn't written very well.
goodbye old movie forums software. Hello vBulletin upgrade!

Look here: Movie Forums Circa 2001: http://web.archive.org/web/200112141...vieforums.net/

Most users ever was 17!!!

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

You're a Genius all the time
Wow, I'm glad you swapped out Wild Wild West with Pluto Nash in that subtitle for the Box Office forum.

I kinda like Wild Wild West. Is there something wrong with me?