Movie Remakes?

Tools    

In Tyler We Trust
Is Movies remakes good? For example the Texas Chainsaw Massacre Remake? Cheaper by the Dozen Remake? or Movies that was similair to other movies like there was some stuff about Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels that was like Snatch. other then directed by the same Guy. Guy Ritche directed them. Well??? and By the Way is the Pink Panther DVD Set Worth Buying?

Personally, I believe for the most part Remakes are a stupid idea only made for money. That is the trend these days. Ten years ago or so, Remakes were much rarely done and they usually were to make a potentially great movie that didn't have all the advantages in making it better or to breathe life into a story that has been constantly remade, usually for every generation.
Lately Hollywood wants to remake everything and that includes even the greatest movies of their genere. The trend is really just exclaiming that Hollywood is running out of ideas and is trying to capitalize on previously made movies they know had a big impact in culture, moreover could generate money. Most movies that have been remade are not as good as the original's by far but their are those special handful that is just ass good, surpasses the original or is good enough to be paying tribute to the original and not overstepping its own sense of value.
The Remakes I personally thought were better than the original that i can name at this moment are House on Haunted Hill, The Time Machine, Night of the Living Dead, and...that's about it hahaha. I have to say I enjoyed the remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre but I never saw the original so I'm not gonna put that in the list. There are probably several more movies that were better or just as good as the original but I can't think of them and no, the Psycho remake was not as good as the original just because it was the same, Frame by frame.

Originally Posted by Krackalackin
I have to say I enjoyed the remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre but I never saw the original so I'm not gonna put that in the list.
u should definitly see the texas chainsaw massacre (original) it is about 10 times better than the remake. the remake is OK but it is a not faithful to the original's story line

Originally Posted by MichaelMyers
You should definitly see The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original).... the remake is OK but it is a not faithful to the original's story line
That I totally agree with. I though like the remake alot, it's just that it isn't (lie you said) faithful to the original. I have given my opinion to many others and they've mostly all have disagreed. It's cool I have found someone who feels the same about The TCM.

In the Beginning...
Remakes are fine if they are done well, I supposed (that is, with the respect for the source material in mind). But some recent remakes have seemed more like producer ploys to cash in on an established namesake with a "fresher" look (but not much substance), and blow some stuff up "Hollywood-style" in the process. Godzilla and Planet of the Apes come to mind.

yea sleezy u r write about the blowing stuff uyp. the godzilla remake was just explosion after explosion. (and i like ur avatar.)

Jrs you r also the 1st person i have seen that felt that way about TCM. i dont understand how people could see it as a faithful remake. the characters were different, the story was different, the added people to leatherfaces family, they showed leatherface as a mindless killing monster which he is not. i dont remember if he acts like this in the 1st TCM but in TCM 2 u see have compassion and sexual urgers.

Waiting for King Kong remake...

A king Kong remake isn't a bad idea. That's a movie that will constantly be redone. The problem is nowadays the technology we have is so good, if you do the movie right, it'll be very hard to top or pointless to make another unfortunately. I would definately like to see a King Kong remake though but I have admit that I don't think it would make a lot of money but then again I could be wrong. It would probably make decent money, given the movie is perfect but it's not really the kind of movie that would make huge money, especially today unfortunately. That's just my opinion. The remake I'm really looking forward to is Oliver Stone's "Alexander" which should be nothing less of astounding. It'll help dry the tears from that god-awful epic "Troy".

"If You conquer Your fear, than I promise You will Conquer Death!!"

A king Kong remake isn't a bad idea. That's a movie that will constantly be redone. The problem is nowadays the technology we have is so good, if you do the movie right, it'll be very hard to top or pointless to make another unfortunately. I would definately like to see a King Kong remake though but I have admit that I don't think it would make a lot of money but then again I could be wrong. It would probably make decent money, given the movie is perfect but it's not really the kind of movie that would make huge money, especially today unfortunately. That's just my opinion. The remake I'm really looking forward to is Oliver Stone's "Alexander" which should be nothing less of astounding. It'll help dry the tears from that god-awful epic "Troy".

"If You conquer Your fear, than I promise You will Conquer Death!!"
I liked Troy.

I'm looking forward to Alexander as well.

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by Psion
Is Movies remakes good? For example the Texas Chainsaw Massacre Remake? Cheaper by the Dozen Remake?
I wish some classic’s would be left alone....and should never be remade like...The Philadelphia Story, Casablanca or Laura...and dear lord they never should have remade The Heiress (1949) into Washington Square(1997). Some remakes I like though...like Cheaper by the Dozen. However, I don’t really consider it in the same class as The Philadelphia Story or The Heiress. I think it really depends on which movie/story it is, casting and how well it's done. I'm wondering when another Three Musketeers movie is going to be made...it's about time for another one.

Originally Posted by Psion
By the Way is the Pink Panther DVD Set Worth Buying?
I wouldn’t recommend buying any DVD set blindly without ever seeing at least one of the movies. I loved the series, but what makes me laugh may not make you laugh. I’d try the humor on for size before I’d plunk down any money. A Shot in the Dark would be a good one to try out.

Lately Hollywood wants to remake everything and that includes even the greatest movies of their genere. The trend is really just exclaiming that Hollywood is running out of ideas and is trying to capitalize on previously made movies they know had a big impact in culture, moreover could generate money. Most movies that have been remade are not as good as the original's by far but their are those special handful that is just ass good, surpasses the original or is good enough to be paying tribute to the original and not overstepping its own sense of value.
I know what you’re saying, and it’s true, there does seem to be an awful lot of remakes as of late and in the coming year....but I think it’s been a trend of hollywood for some time. In the 40’s and 50’s there were quite a few remakes....like....

Bachelor Mother (1939)......remake...Bundle of Joy (1956)

The Mark of Zorro (1920)......remake...The Mark of Zorro (1940)

Love Affair (1939)......remake...An Affair to Remember (1957)

Roberta (1935)......remake...Lovely to Look at (1952)

Show Boat (1936)......remake...Show Boat (1951)

The Philadelphia Story (1940)......remake...High Society (1956)

Some were successful and some turned into b-rated ironing movies. My point is....I doubt hollywood has run out of ideas...I think they are just in one of those cycles and just need to make a good movie instead of turned out hash, whether it's a remake or not. Maybe I’m wrong...who knows..who cares.

Remakes I’m eager to see...The Stepford Wives and Around the World in 80 Days.

You bring up a good point about remakes in Hollywood but lately it's not just movies being remade. It's pretty much any material in any source of Media. They're remaking tv shows now for god's sake. I'm not saying they haven't remade movies before but if you could compare the number of remakes that have been made in the last...ten years or so and compare it with any other time, I'm postive the list would be unquestionably longer. I do believe they are running out of ideas though. I'll give u a little history explanation.
In the beginning of movies, before sound, all movies were considered a source of entertainment and anyone could go see them. After a while when so many movies were made of a type, they started to classify different movies into generes. This was early on. Hollywood has been remaking movies since forever. They were remaking movies before sound was even invented! There's a short short film called "The kiss" which was made really early on like in 1910. It was basically about a kiss long and that was the whole short. They remade that movie in...1926 I think and it was practically the same thing so I guess it's in Hollywood's blood to remake movies but now, it appears there is almost never a time when a movie isn't in theaters that's a remake or atleast something is coming out of any media being remade.
It's not hard to believe they are running out of ideas either. I couldn't guess how many movies Hollywood has made since the beginning of its time. Probably close to ten thousand or more. With that amount of titles in existence it becomes hard to make a movie that doesn't resemble a movie already made. It happens anyway like The Matrix (similar sub-plot to the terminator movies, ID4, The Day After Tomorrow, Back to the future, The godfather, etc). There's only so many things you can do with a cast of characters in a certain setting. I'm not saying that Hollywood will never come out with an original or close-to original great movie again, I'm just saying they're going to be fewer and further between. It will eventually be divided up into about maybe two or three hundred different types of movies. Each type would be based on the the combination of three parts, the genere, the plot and the character relationship emphasis. Looking at this, it evidently looks like their would be more than two or three hundred different types but a lot of the the three different aspects of a movie put together wrong just wouldn't work and people wouldn't like it so that scales it down. Example: "A sci-fi movie about a dysfunctional family held up in their house after after an alien hit the hood of their car ". See what I mean? It's not exactly endless. I predict maybe 300 diferent situations would work in a movie.
People (the commen people) used to think movies would get better and better with technology to bring them the ultimate movie experiences. Well, that doesn't happen too often because a good movie depends much more upon the screenplay, the actors and their performances in the movie. Nowaday's you can make a dazzling looking CGI fest pretty cheap. It's the story that really makes the movie and even stories are getting used up. For instance, a lot of books,good books, will never become movies because they're just not interesting enough to put on a silver screen. A lot of books focus on the relationships more than an unusual happening that people want to see.
It can make for excellent reading because the characterization helps a lot but there are only so many things you can get across in a movie itself, let alone effectively get it across to the audience. I don't know if I explained this well enough but I tried to. Just lets say there are maybe 300 different, individually original stories that can be told on the screen.
That's all I'm gonna say. I'm done.

Usually remakes are crap. Most sequels are better than remakes. I heared that they're even planning to make a remake of the horror cult classic Halloween

Originally Posted by BCRichdude88
Usually remakes are crap. Most sequels are better than remakes. I heared that they're even planning to make a remake of the horror cult classic Halloween
i love the halloween series but its already f*cked so i dont care let them make another crap as thing for the series. i personaly on ly like H1 and H2 the rest r too friday the 13th style

It is true that Halloween 1 and 2 were the best and that is where they should've left it. But the only character to stay with the first(six?) was donald pleasence and he actually died during the making of his last one. And how do they reward his efforts? They make H2o with jamie lee and pretend all those other episodes except the first 2 never existed. And I could even see H2o as being the final act but no, they had to make another and have her die instead. That was kind of a downer for me. Well I guess the only bright side is now you can choose from two different paths for the series. Or even three paths if you end it after the first two.

[quote=Escape]It is true that Halloween 1 and 2 were the best and that is where they should've left it. But the only character to stay with the first(six?) was donald pleasence and he actually died during the making of his last one. And how do they reward his efforts? They make H2o with jamie lee and pretend all those other episodes except the first 2 never existed.

i know i think its so disrespectful to Donald Pleasence. in my opinion he is the only thing that made 4-6 watchable and he did a great job dispite his age.

Messenger from Hades' Gate
There is one film that I think is worthy of a remake. . . Spartacus!

No disrespect meant to the original film and its star studded cast, it's just that the fact that even though the movie is awesome, the sound quality (even on the DVD) is terrible! You can barely understand what these guys are trying to say!

I also agree that movies should be left alone, for instance Willy Wonka will be remade. Also its good to start making classics rather than relying on all good films to give actors that have already etched their roles in time. For instance the Stepford wifes, I can't relate to Bette Midler as a actor she is rather odd in the movie or Matthew Broderick as Nicole Kidman's husband. I also heard they will remake Bewitch and cast Nicole Kidman as the Samatha(although this is a sitcom) leaving what was classic should be left alone.

Originally Posted by suppression
the sound quality (even on the DVD) is terrible! You can barely understand what these guys are trying to say!
That could most likely be fixed by remastering the audio track... it certainly isn't cause for a remake.

Originally Posted by Equilibrium
Waiting for King Kong remake...
Just what we need wasn't the King Kong with Jessica Lange a remake.