At what "stage" do you see a movie?

Tools    

For movie goers, the age-old question always arises: when to go see that new, sure-to-be blockbuster box office hit.

You have some people who MUST see the movies within the same opening weekend. I'm sure 99% of us know what a fun little adventure that can be: crowded lines, no place to sit, babies crying. Not fun, not fun at all. However theres something gratifying about being able to talk about the latest and greatest movie at work or school. Some people like this, others would rather wait a while.

The next "stage" would be about a week after the opening to 3 weeks after. This is the time I usually go. Theres not that big of a line and you get to watch your movie with a little more privacy.

The next "stage" would be from about 3 weeks to closing. I don't really like this because it's usually when the least amount of people go. I hate it to be crowded, but it actually affects me when I only have 7 people in the room with me. I get that feeling that it's old news and people have moved on to bigger and better things, but I guess it's just me.

Finally, you have the renting (or buying) of the movie. It's often easier and MUCH more private than at a big movie theater. Then again, not many of us have a 100"+ TV and a [exaggeration] 1000.1 speaker setup [/exaggeration] either. Some people just like to rent movies that they have already seen and enjoy them in the comfort of there own home, nothing wrong with this.

Anyway, the real point of the thread is to see what "stage" you fall into and just how many people fall into each. Do you go at a certain time because it's a habit? Or do you not have any other choice? Is it the most convenient for you? Or the cheapest? Or neither?

Usually, I see movies opening weekend (if not opening day). Unless, of course, it's a movie that's not playing anywhere near my hometown. In that case, I either rent it, or order it online.

Kaiser "The Devil" Soze
It really depends on the movie, usually action, thriller and horror movies I'm there opening day. Otherwise they go unseen, or to add to your list

I see these movies that don't interest me at the "CABLE TV" stage.

Messenger from Hades' Gate
As a former theater employee, I never see movies on their opening day. This old habit formed because at the theater chain I worked at I wasn't allowed to see free movies unless the film had been out for at least two weeks.

Also, I almost always watch movies on weekdays so that I won't have to fight for a seat. This habit was started because when I still worked there, I could be evicted at anytime if there weren't enough seats for paying customers.

it's either the three-week onwards or rent/buying stage.
i never go see a movie when it first comes out, unless i'm literally dragged, because you always have to line up and squish and it's such a hassle. i also prefer to act like an idiot when there are less people around me...especially for comedies, or for sad stories, i generally hope less people would see me cry

Originally Posted by kaisersoze
It really depends on the movie, usually action, thriller and horror movies I'm there opening day. Otherwise they go unseen, or to add to your list

I see these movies that don't interest me at the "CABLE TV" stage.
Ah, the "cable TV stage". How could I forget?

If I have money then I'll go see them opening weekend, or else whenever I can convince my mom to give me money...

Last 5 Movies I have Watched...
The Astral Factor
Bridget Jones's Diary•••
The Maltese Falcon••••
Sliding Doors•••
Battle Royale••••

Collectormania
IMDb

It depends how good the movie looks. If it looks brilliant I'll go to see it as soon as possible, but if it looks ordinary I'll just go whenever.

i normally go see a movie of that calibur within the first month of its release.

This is a bit silly, but I had to see Iron Man this weekend. Not because I wanted to be first or cool, but like when comics hit the stands in the good 'ol days, I had to buy them and read 'em up. I cannot help but love the way comics have finally hit the big screen. I wish the "pulp" today would just do away with all the garbage and go back to basics like some of the movies have.

here, the cinema tickets are a little high, and I am a student. So, whenever I have the Money! =)) makes no difference in which stage )
[but of course the related films; like in LotRs or PotCs and Harry Potter, the very very first day. Nobody can see a Harry Potter film earlier than me, hmpf ]

Welcome to the human race...
Depends on the movie, really. I honestly don't go to the cinemas very often unless I'm really looking forward to the movie (e.g. There Will Be Blood, the last movie that I saw the same day it came out). I can afford to wait for most movies to get to DVD.

It really depends on what movie i'm going to watch. Today, i believe it's more like: "is this movie worth my money to pay $10.00+" or, "should i just download it?"

Welcome to the human race...
It really depends on what movie i'm going to watch. Today, i believe it's more like: "is this movie worth my money to pay $10.00+" or, "should i just download it?"
Pfft, in my case it's more like "is it worth $10" or "is it worth missing"?

I'm not going to waste my bandwidth on a poor movie. Or even a good one. The good ones are worth watching on a proper DVD, not some shaky bootleg with Thai subtitles.

I am a renter. But I do go to theatres once in awhile but there is no stage really, when I feel like going I go.

Colour out of Time
For me it is depending on the film ... If it is something I really what to see and i'm shoving it with the best of 'em ... if it is not so fanatical I will wait, but seeing it in a 'big picture' environemnt I'll pay for the oblicatory Jaffa's ... but I'm cool with watching it at home or with friends on DVD ... and have a meal ... a smoke ... and a drink while watching

It depends. If im really excited for a movie i'll go opening night. Other wise usually opening week or the week after, and if not i wait for the DVD.

Many films I just have to wait for on DVD, or HBO, or whatever, but nothing makes me feel more a part of the human race than when the whole sardined-packed audience of a movie theater all claps, laughs, sighs, yells, pisses their pants/panties, etc... at the same time. It is amazingly wonderful because usually there are all races, genders, religions, sexually orientated, financially stable/unstable, etc... watchers and everyone agrees on a certain thing on the big screen. Makes me feel connected to something wonderful, but I am a sap so hey.

It definitely depends on the movie but if I'm going to see it in theater I'm typically going opening day, usually mid afternoon to early evening. We have hellacious rush hour traffic here and I've found that even on opening night the crowds are pretty small at 4:00 pm, which is when we saw Iron Man. There was a nice long line outside when we came out though, I'll tell you what. Otherwise I'm with most everybody else and just wait for the DVD. Most flicks for me just don't warrant the theater treatment. not to mention the absolute ridiculous price of going to one these days. Even paying full price for a new release DVD is less than going to the theater unless you hit the matinée and don't buy anything inside... I'm just saying.