What Does it Take to Be the Greatest Movie of All Time?

Tools    

Is it possible to win all of the Academy Awards?
32.26%
10 votes
Yes
67.74%
21 votes
No
31 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I don't think a movie can win at all cathegories...it means it's perfect and so far, i don't know anything that is perfect in this whole world. A perfect movie would be a start...

I think that people has different opinions about movies and almost all other thing. The other day I watched Fight Club with my mother I love that film, but my mother didn't like it at all. There you have it. People are different and sees things in different ways. Think maybe Forrest Gump is one of the films which is nearest to be liked by everyone.. (from the films I have watched).

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by larshjk
I think that people has different opinions about movies and almost all other thing. The other day I watched Fight Club with my mother I love that film, but my mother didn't like it at all. There you have it. People are different and sees things in different ways. Think maybe Forrest Gump is one of the films which is nearest to be liked by everyone.. (from the films I have watched).
Fight Club's certainly not a movie that I'd choose to watch with my mum (rubber gloves 'n' all ), though I do remember forcing her to listen to a Sex Pistols album in the car around 20 years ago. Kudos for trying though.

Boobs, lots of big boobs.

Well, LOTR 3 won every academy award is was nominated for, so I guess a movie can be considered one of the greatest movies of all time with that. Although I don't believe there is a greatest movie of all time because there is no movie that can be liked by everyone, and until there is a movie like that there is no 1 greatest movie of all time

It has to be a cult favortie, like Waynes world, or Star wars, Indiana Jones, - but what made these films big? is it the media revamping these movies into our minds, what makes it a cult movie? what defines the cult?.. also define quality- sometimes people cant pick out whats good or bad- we all have different oppnions, its why they make more films, so we can judge them!

Also Bring it on, is liked by everyone - fine one person that doesnt like that movie - its just a good all around film lol,

Originally Posted by Social Misfit
Also Bring it on, is liked by everyone - fine one person that doesnt like that movie - its just a good all around film lol,
Found

One person who does not like Bring It On. Right Here.

- and why not? - its a cute story with cute girls and it came out in 2001 - may - on dvd, i liked it, - honestly?...

it's a personal thing

I wipe my ass with your feelings
LMFAO!

And to add to this thread, possible to win all awards? Who gives a crap. LOT3 was AMAZING. I think that Shawshank Redemption is the greatest movie ever. Why? Cause it hit just about every emotion in my body. No other movie has done that.

(Awaits for Holden to prove me wrong )
We're soldiers. Soldiers don't go to hell. It's war. Soldiers, they kill other soldiers. We're in a situation where everybody involved knows the stakes. And if you're gonna accept those stakes... You gotta do certain things. It's business, we're soldiers. We follow codes... Orders.

its probably never gonna happen cuz different people will vote differently but i've seen lots of movies that could sweep the awards if it was up to me

but that would be considered unfair for other movies

To Ones own, Films mean something to everyone, just like Art! - Wait a second films are art! so the greatest movie of all time, would be your favorite movie!..

Case Solved!

To Ones own, Films mean something to everyone, just like Art! - Wait a second films are art! so the greatest movie of all time, would be your favorite movie!..

Case Solved!
I like you're thinking

www.forumninja.com
Although the poll question is pretty ridiculous (see the aforementioned live/animated paradox), I enjoy the debate about whether Oscar hype really indicates quality.

In my experience and opinion, every year it seems the Academy voters select 2-3 decent films and 2-3 totally undeserving films for Best Picture consideration. Of the good films, one will usually deserve consideration as a top film of that year and of the bad films, one will usually be an utterly terrible monstrosity that fans will question until the end of time. The last really good Oscar nomination period, IMO, was 2002-03, which had The Pianist, LOTR: The Two Towers, and Chicago up for Best Pic (of them, I felt The Pianist deserved the award but was certainly happy that Chicago won).

On the other hand, I was extremely disappointed and almost depressed by the 2004-05 nominations. The only film I even LIKED was Million Dollar Baby, and thankfully, that was the winning picture, but it was a crime that Hotel Rwanda was not nominated.

In any case, I usually feel vindicated by at least ONE of the nominations. This past year it was Brokeback Mountain.

District B13
The academy awards shouldn't be a barometer for what is considered the greatest movie of all time. I believe greatest should be deduced by impact on society as well as progression of film technique. A film like Battleship Potemkin is a good example of that.

However, we all have personal taste and that's something that's never going to change. Ultimately, the greatest movie of all time is the movie that one person can be truly inspired from. As that should be the aim of every single movie.

I do think there will be a film that will take every academy award possible but I don't think that the film will be any more popular than any of the other greats.

Edit: But the oscars do contain alot of fallacy. For instance, the movies are only nominated out of one year, not the entire history of cinema. Another fact that's quite dissapointing is that certain companies can market a movie more than other films and several of the voters on the academy oftentime refuse to view films based on a moral pretense.

The oscars are glitzy and they contain Hollywood fame, but they are about the worst possible "objective" judge of quality there is.

To be the best movie ever:

Acting: Needs great acting...that's a given. The characters need to make you laugh, cry, and even die a little inside.

Story: Needs to be a damn good story...LotR had a great story...Star Wars had a great story. It needs to be fantasy but yet touch you in a way where it seems real. It should deal with the real world in a way where it isn't the real world.

Score: Music is the universal language. A great score add's emotional depth to movies that wouldn't be the same without them...like how would you feel about watching Indiana Jones without the signature theme.

Action: Let's face it...a whole movie of drama is pretty boring...

Drama: Action can get old fast if there's nothing to keep you connected to the characters.

Humour: Laughter is one of the greatest human emotions...to me, if it doesn't make ya laugh atleast once, the movie shouldn't have been made.

Love: Love is also one of the greatest human emotions and strikes a chord with all of us. Love stories bore me, but a great movie with a minor love story in it always keeps me happy.

The film has to keep you at the edge of your seat, keep you wondering until the very end what will happen...stuff like that.

And the film with all of this is...

The Lord of the Rings trilogy!

There's thousands, probably millions, of people who don't like it...but damn those movies actually make me think!

Honourable Mentions include (in order of better to not as better. I have yet to meet a person who doesn't like these movie...I wouldn't call them anywhere near the greatest of all time but they all deserve a mention.):

1. Forrest Gump
2. Star Wars (possible exception here, there's many who don't like it, but many more who do).
3. E.T.
4. Indiana Jones
5. Pirates of the Carribean
6. The Lion King