President Trump

Tools    

I dont know which was more funny, watching the republicans twist themselves into stammering stuttering knots this morning trying to defend Trumps comments or seeing the Twitter reactions of the Norwegians:

Norge!

Some liberals really aren't the best at arguing their case.

It's a scandal when someone calls countries like Iraq or Syria "Sh*thole" contries (and yes, I do think it's inappropriate to say that, especially as a president), but as a response, it's totally OK to call the United States a "Sh*thole" country...

Be a little more consequent.

But as I read someone say on another site - if Obama had accomplished in one of his two 4-year terms what Trump has accomplished with the economy in less than one year, then Obama would have been nominated for an additional Nobel prize and lauded as the greatest President who became the savior of the American economy.
I'm glad to hear you come around on Obama:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johndor.../#10ce1ff96644

Stock markets will hit new highs. That's what indexes tend to do (and at ever increasing rates). I have no idea why the stock market is being cited so much.

Well, sorry, I do know why. There's not much else positive to cite.
Yeah, Slappy said what I was going to. The stock market performed very well under Obama. I say this as someone who didn't much care for his economic policies on net.

I know I probably shouldn't ever be amazed at Trump's shamelessness in reversing himself, or pretending he never said things, but it's been one of the more egregious examples to see him talk about how bad the economy was before, and then turn around and justify his own performance using pretty much the one metric that was unambiguously good during the previous administration, too. Makes no sense whatsoever.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
^it makes perfect sense. he knows by now his worshippers gobble up anything he says as truth, regardless of, you know... that pesky reality

To be fair taking credit for an economy that takes an upswing is not something that is unique to this president.

There are also an awful lot of Dems who seem to want to ignore the pesky reality of what has been going on with businesses since the tax bill got passed as well. Can't back down on the rich are evil and want you do die in your filth rhetoric.

Rubio, already famously posting pointed Bible verses most days on Twitter that seem like a direct response to whatever Trump just did or said, has been listing the many accomplishments of Haitian-American immigrants most of the morning.

Bad countries usually mean bad governments, not bad people. And the people who want to come here from those places are, by definition, people who don't like how things are going there and think we're doing things better here. Seems to me that's exactly the kinds of people you'd want coming to your country. By leaving their home to come here, they've actually expressed more devotion to American ideals than people who just happen to have been born here.

Rubio, already famously posting pointed Bible verses most days on Twitter that seem like a direct response to whatever Trump just did or said, has been listing the many accomplishments of Haitian-American immigrants most of the morning.

Bad countries usually mean bad governments, not bad people. And the people who want to come here from those places are, by definition, people who don't like how things are going there and think we're doing things better here. Seems to me that's exactly the kinds of people you'd want coming to your country. By leaving their home to come here, they've actually expressed more devotion to American ideals than people who just happen to have been born here.
Love it! Now Trump on immigration, that makes me

One of the reasons I liked Rubio a lot going into the election cycle is I had heard him talk quite a bit about immigration and I loved his even handed approach on the topic. I was very disappointed to see him walk that back a bit during the primaries, more than likely to appeal to a frustrated base. Politics, too much bad to go with what little good you see.

Some liberals really aren't the best at arguing their case.
Theres no "case" to be "argued". Its simply about making the obvious point. Glass houses. Unlike Norway, the US is fine with letting its sick and its poor suffer and die from diseases, forcing its students to go into unmanageable debt to get a bachelors degree, promoting an out of control gun culture that results in mass shootings every single day, and turns its back on the realities of climate change at the expense of its own citizens and the whole world. And we are going to call other countries names? All these people are doing is pointing out if you are going to bad mouth others when you have your own issues then be prepared for people to point out the screaming hypocrisy. I would use the cliche "pot calling the kettle black" but Im pretty sure Trump would have a real problem with calling america "black"...

Speaking of hypocritical. Kind of tired of hearing how terrible our country is out of one side of their mouth while out the other side saying we should be more welcoming in inviting immigrants to join us in hell.

...compared to Norway. Youll recall this is all about Trump saying we really need to let more Norwegians in this country not Haitians or people from the "country of Africa". The whole point is Norway doesnt need us while Haiti and "Africa" do.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Speaking of hypocritical. Kind of tired of hearing how terrible our country is out of one side of their mouth while out the other side saying we should be more welcoming in inviting immigrants to join us in hell.
just because we think this country is a shethole most days doesnt mean we don't think it's worth fighting for

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Sometimes I think we have to do what's best for today... If you want compromise, if you want DACA, you gotta give them something, too, and I don't think a more merit-based (not racial) is so radical.. I also don't like chain migration, because I saw it - I would prefer individuals coming to America, not one guy coming, and little by little bringing their family who all live in their "own" neighborhood... I also think a country needs a unifying language, we can barely communicate as it is. Margaret Mead even said if you had a bilingual culture, you'd have illiteracy in two languages. The US has 330 million people, so being a little picky isn't so bad.

Why, it's almost as if being from a sh*thole country makes you appreciate what you have here and work even harder!

...compared to Norway. Youll recall this is all about Trump saying we really need to let more Norwegians in this country not Haitians or people from the "country of Africa". The whole point is Norway doesnt need us while Haiti and "Africa" do.
I get it and I certainly don't want to come across as defending Trump's comments from yesterday which I find...unfortunately unsurprising. I just feel like the response is essentially going down the same road that he would. Lets march out a bunch of Norwegians who will tell us how crappy our healthcare is. As if no Norwegians would ever set foot in our country. It is just such a political way too respond that it drives me crazy.

Can we also put a moratorium on comparing our situation to countries who are not as big as a lot of our cities. Maybe we should look at that and think about funneling more power into our states instead of letting the federal government handle our lives. I will now leave and ponder which party would be more in favor of that.

just because we think this country is a shethole most days doesnt mean we don't think it's worth fighting for
Some politician should come up with a slogan that gets this sentiment across and drives me crazy all the live long day as well.

..The whole point is Norway doesnt need us while Haiti and "Africa" do.
Third world nations don't need the U.S. to send their surplus population too. What they need is birth control programs.

They need a stabilized birth rate, they need to build their countries own infrastructure. The U.S. should help them in those areas. But taking in the worlds surplus population only prolongs the inevitable overpopulation of the planet, with all the disastrous results that come from it.

Can we also put a moratorium on comparing our situation to countries who are not as big as a lot of our cities. Maybe we should look at that and think about funneling more power into our states instead of letting the federal government handle our lives. I will now leave and ponder which party would be more in favor of that.
You may need to ponder a little longer on that sean since Republicans are all for federally penalizing sanctuary cities and taking away the local and state tax deduction from blue states. And meanwhile, little Jeff Sessions is busy sending out his Gestapos to round up 7-11 workers and threatening citizens in Colorado and Washington with jail time if they legally buy pot there where its legal. But yah states rights!

I dont mean to pick on you guys. I know most of the conservatives here simply cringe every morning when they read what Trump has said and that a lot of republicans really wrestle with wanting conservative agenda items enacted but having to put up with this clown in office in order to get them there. Im sure its tiresome and even shameful at times. At least we liberals can fully embrace being completely outraged by every aspect of Trump as a politician and a human being without feeling conflicted about him helming the ship we want to move forward. I encourage you all to bring forward a "draft Kucinich" platform at the 2020 Republican convention so you dont have to vote for him twice.