A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Albert Pyun Roulette, Part 7
Adrenalin: Fear the Rush -

Plot: In a not-too-distant future, a lethal virus sweeps across Europe, prompting the creation of quarantine refugee camps in the United States. Police officers Delon (Natasha Henstridge) and Lemieux (Christopher Lambert) learn of a grisly murder in the Boston camp and team up to investigate. Suspecting the ruthless killer is infected with the virus, the pair have just hours to stop him before he becomes contagious and infects the entire population.

While this movie's economical runtime was not up to Pyun - the Weinsteins reportedly trimmed his desired almost two-hour runtime down to 77 minutes - it highlights the director's skill at doing more with less all the same. Like he did in Cyborg and Nemesis, Pyun did as much to leverage dilapidated infrastructure as gentrification does. Pyun not only made the Slovakian building where most of the action occurs a marvel of claustrophobia, but also a standard of the beauty and atmosphere that explain why there are so many social media communities devoted to abandoned buildings and liminal spaces. The scenes with the shafts of light in particular made me want to pause, or at the very least, hope that Henstridge and Lambert would stop and smell the rubble. The movie is not just notable for its aesthetics, though: I approve of how our disease-carrying villain embodies the title by being expertly elusive and always able to get the drop on our heroes when they least expect it. That he's also a human ticking time bomb is icing on the cake. I was also impressed with Henstridge and Lambert's emotionally charged performances, which further strengthen the claim that the best acting occurs in confined spaces.

This movie and Daylight, which came out not too long before this one (and that I believe is less entertaining, for what it's worth) did not make the world crave more "stuck in a giant concrete structure" action or horror movies, which this one’s flaws likely explain. While it thankfully breaks up the action with regrouping scenes, this does not excuse that a lot of it is tediously repetitive. It makes you wonder if that 77-minute runtime is a typo, in other words. Also, who knew that so many eastern Europeans ended up in Boston in 2007 or that judging by the police uniforms, Romania annexed the city? The Weinsteins may be more to blame for such gaffes than Pyun, but it's still worth calling out that thanks to them, most of the comedy is unintentional. If you are into claustrophobic horror and/or abandoned building aesthetics, though, you should seek this out. Even if you’re indifferent to both, it’s worth watching to remind yourself that the pandemic like the one it depicts is behind us.

THEM! (1954)

You know Godzilla is my #1 giant monster, but I’m always ready to watch an all-American kaiju movie, Them! is maybe the Citizen Kane of these, coming out the same year as Godzilla did and delivering better production values and visual effects here are way better than you might expect. The ants look fantastic, the GIs bring bazookas and flamethrowers to the party, it's a fun time. I’m certain a young James Cameron loved this movie, I’m noticing all kinds of similarities with the Aliens movies.

Easy recommend for anyone who likes old-timey 50’s sci-fi. Insert your own pronoun joke here.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
Everything is frickin Mac n Me!

Maybe it's just YOU.

Maybe you just THINK it's all Mac n Me.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

Maybe it's just YOU.

Maybe you just THINK it's all Mac n Me.

This must be how Paul Rudd sees everything.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
This must be how Paul Rudd sees everything.

He sees Mac n Me.

EVERYTHING IS MAC N ME

OH GOD IT'S EVERYWHERE

Do you wanna party? Its party time!
That appears to be straight nightmare fuel. Rad.

Latest Movie Viewing: Wings (1927)
Latest Album Listened To: Honky Château, Elton John (1972)
Latest TV Show Viewed: Doctor Who

Do you wanna party? Its party time!

The wrap around story gets a stamp of approval from me. The first story is alright I guess, the alien one is really good and could have been longer. The last tale is gruesome and features Art a lot, which this movie needed more of imo. Decent anthology movie, I will get to the Art flicks eventually. 7/10 from me, I'm not going to do the math on each segment added up together. Math is far scarier than killer mime clowns.

Victim of The Night

Ugh. What did you guys get me to waste an hour and forty minutes of my life on?
Y'all know I love low-budget Horror and I love plucky little movies that punch above their weight.
This is no such movie. This is just poor. No script, no sense, not much suspense, the weakest of kills and effects, what was I supposed to hang my hat on? And the clichés... oh god, the cliches.
The police chief is just so absurdly without ethics it’s a bit groan-worthy - until he sort of inexplicably flips and becomes competent. I mean, there’s a full-fledged investigation and man-hunt on in the first five minutes of the movie if he doesn’t just keep calling every murder an accident or a suicide just so he doesn’t have to do paperwork or whatever cliche. And then suddenly, in his very next scene after telling everybody to call the latest murder an accident, he’s suddenly a gumshoe telling his first suspect that it was murder. What? This is obviously done to allow the story to exist because it is all so without structure that this is necessary to even make the film possible.
And the further groan-worthy tropes of someone not being able to open the door of their own f+cking house - from the inside - because if they could they would easily have just escaped the killer. Or running from a killer, turning a corner to stop and press up against the building - because he’ll never find you pressed up against the building - and then… look back around the corner? If this weren’t a Horror movie he’d be standing right there to kill her. Or, you’re in a hiding place instead of just running (stupid)… and then you just decide to leave your hiding place and make a run for it now that the killer is right outside. And it wouldn’t be a bad-slasher if people didn’t trip over nothing while quarter-speed jogging away from the killer, not to mention the obligatory run a few steps, turn and look back, run a few steps, turn and look back. Jeez.
And the resolution/reveal? Absolutely stupid and utterly implausible.
Honestly, this movie has gotten some positive buzz and I find myself really surprised. And honestly a little irked. I started my Halfway To Halloween with this on account of all the positive accounts of it I'd heard around here. I feel like my time was wasted and the Slasher genre was insulted and that a bunch of things like Before The Dawn and The Prey and Blood Rage, hell, you name it, get bad raps because of movies like this.
My rating? Boo/5 popcorns. (I once again forgot how to do popcorn ratings but I think that will do.)

Ugh. What did you guys get me to waste an hour and forty minutes of my life on?
Y'all know I love low-budget Horror and I love plucky little movies that punch above their weight.
This is no such movie. This is just poor. No script, no sense, not much suspense, the weakest of kills and effects, what was I supposed to hang my hat on? And the clichés... oh god, the cliches.
The police chief is just so absurdly without ethics it’s a bit groan-worthy - until he sort of inexplicably flips and becomes competent. I mean, there’s a full-fledged investigation and man-hunt on in the first five minutes of the movie if he doesn’t just keep calling every murder an accident or a suicide just so he doesn’t have to do paperwork or whatever cliche. And then suddenly, in his very next scene after telling everybody to call the latest murder an accident, he’s suddenly a gumshoe telling his first suspect that it was murder. What? This is obviously done to allow the story to exist because it is all so without structure that this is necessary to even make the film possible.
And the further groan-worthy tropes of someone not being able to open the door of their own f+cking house - from the inside - because if they could they would easily have just escaped the killer. Or running from a killer, turning a corner to stop and press up against the building - because he’ll never find you pressed up against the building - and then… look back around the corner? If this weren’t a Horror movie he’d be standing right there to kill her. Or, you’re in a hiding place instead of just running (stupid)… and then you just decide to leave your hiding place and make a run for it now that the killer is right outside. And it wouldn’t be a bad-slasher if people didn’t trip over nothing while quarter-speed jogging away from the killer, not to mention the obligatory run a few steps, turn and look back, run a few steps, turn and look back. Jeez.
And the resolution/reveal? Absolutely stupid and utterly implausible.
Honestly, this movie has gotten some positive buzz and I find myself really surprised. And honestly a little irked. I started my Halfway To Halloween with this on account of all the positive accounts of it I'd heard around here. I feel like my time was wasted and the Slasher genre was insulted and that a bunch of things like Before The Dawn and The Prey and Blood Rage, hell, you name it, get bad raps because of movies like this.
My rating? Boo/5 popcorns. (I once again forgot how to do popcorn ratings but I think that will do.)
*checks letterboxd. did not have any heart selected for this one.*
Okay, it wasn't me that lead you astray here.
I, personally, strongly suspect it's a lot of goodwill from Larraz's other, earlier, better films causing people to want to find things to like about it. Like, "pay attention to this one thing, but ignore things, like the acting or script on screen."

I'm projecting on that (and I recall being very lukewarm on it at best), but extrapolating, if Deadly Manor is also on your watch-list, I'd suggest taking it off.

Symptoms and Vampyres are your most likely bet from Larraz (based on what I've seen).
I also liked Black Candles, Whirlpool (thriller, not a horror), and The Coming of Sin (not horror), but they aren't for everyone, but I'm not sure exactly who'd I'd recommend them to. I'd need to rewatch Black Candles to even recall exactly what the vibe was.

Victim of The Night
*checks letterboxd. did not have any heart selected for this one.*
Okay, it wasn't me that lead you astray here.
I, personally, strongly suspect it's a lot of goodwill from Larraz's other, earlier, better films causing people to want to find things to like about it. Like, "pay attention to this one thing, but ignore things, like the acting or script on screen."

I'm projecting on that (and I recall being very lukewarm on it at best), but extrapolating, if Deadly Manor is also on your watch-list, I'd suggest taking it off.

Symptoms and Vampyres are your most likely bet from Larraz (based on what I've seen).
I also liked Black Candles, Whirlpool (thriller, not a horror), and The Coming of Sin (not horror), but they aren't for everyone, but I'm not sure exactly who'd I'd recommend them to. I'd need to rewatch Black Candles to even recall exactly what the vibe was.
Deadly Manor is actually next on the list and I had no idea it was the same director.
Nor that it was the same director as Vampyres, which I actually really liked. Hard to believe the director of that film made EotA but when you have a bad script or no script and maybe the studio wants things a certain way (it's almost a PG movie with the lack of gore effects and sex and the off-screen violence) maybe this is just what you end up with.

Edge of the Axe has been rotting in my watchlist for a long time. It sounds like I shouldn't make it a priority.

Copying this from the "last DVD you purchased thread" since this seems like a better place to share this: all that inspired me to get this DVD set was watching The Bird with the Crystal Plumage. Luckily, all it cost me was 2 credits on SwapADVD:

Appreciate any feedback about any of these if you've seen them. The Hatchet Murders is also known as Deep Red, by the way.

Deadly Manor is actually next on the list and I had no idea it was the same director.
Nor that it was the same director as Vampyres, which I actually really liked. Hard to believe the director of that film made EotA but when you have a bad script or no script and maybe the studio wants things a certain way (it's almost a PG movie with the lack of gore effects and sex and the off-screen violence) maybe this is just what you end up with.

They're also from '88 and '90, and he retired in 92. The most recent one from the set of his movies that I've seen and think are good was Black Candles at '82 (it's been a while, so I've forgotten a great deal of the details of the movie, but I just remember the goat scene being one that makes it one that's too awkward to recommend to people). You just get a sense of a great discrepancy of budget that shows up in things like the quality of acting, etc.

Just saying that based on the limited number I've seen. So when I got to EotA and Deadly Manor, it became an exercise in trying to find the little things that stood out as positive.

Like I said, Symptoms is probably the safest choice for a good watch. It gets touted as Britain's first entry into Cannes. It's in the general subgenre as Repulsion. It has Donald Pleasance's daughter in it, who looks too eerily like her father.

Edge of the Axe has been rotting in my watchlist for a long time. It sounds like I shouldn't make it a priority.

Copying this from the "last DVD you purchased thread" since this seems like a better place to share this: all that inspired me to get this DVD set was watching The Bird with the Crystal Plumage. Luckily, all it cost me was 2 credits on SwapADVD:

Appreciate any feedback about any of these if you've seen them. The Hatchet Murders is also known as Deep Red, by the way.

Assuming it's Argento's Deep Red and not another movie marketed as Deep Red...
I'm not big on the 60s and 70s gallios, but I recall liking Deep Red more than TBwtCP. Just better atmosphere (in part due to the Goblin score and other music).