Movie Tab II

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
宗方姉妹 [The Munekata Sisters] (1950) -

This may be Hideko Takamine at her cutest. closely followed by Hideko, the Bus Conductress. Based on a bestseller Japanese book from an acclaimed writer, this is one of the more mainstream Ozu films and far from his best, but still a great film by all means. Apart from Takamine, this has Kinuyo Tanaka, Ken Uehara and Chishu Ryu and the story ends on a quite feminist note, if I may say so, therefore reminding something Naruse would make (or Mizoguchi, but only topic-wise, as the style is different).

河内山宗俊 [Priest of Darkness] (1936) -

Not enough Setsuko Hara! She's so cute here, but there's not enough of her, as she only plays a secondary role. The story is based on a very famous kabuki play. Not as good as the other two surviving movies of Sadao Yamanaka (from 22 in total!), but still a great one, proving he was a very progressive director.

Eugénie [Eugenie de Sade] (1975) -

Jesus Franco once again makes a desadian film with a lot of style and no restraint. Obviously a highlight in his filmography full of crap, but not amongst his absolute best neither. It's more than worth it for Soledad Miranda, though.

団鬼六 蛇と鞭 [Snake and Whip] (1986) -

Hana to hebi: kyûkyoku nawa chôkyô [Flower and Snake 5: Rope Magic] (1987) -

In other words, Flower and Snake 4 and 5, which concludes the old series. Now I still have three new Flower and Snake movies to watch, as I've already seen the Zero part.

豚鶏心中 [Pig-Chicken Suicide] (1981) -

This has a girl calling the name of Japanese emperor while masturbating, long sequences of pig butchery (paralyzed then torn open with a knife), a pig-guy and a chicken-guy f*ckups doing weird sh*t. And more. This is obviously inspired by Terayama's films (Emperor Tomato Ketchup in particular) and has the same purple tinting as well as uses really nice songs. Not as great as director's second film Noisy Requiem, but still a great watch.

Le mystère Koumiko [The Koumiko Mystery] (1965) -

The last two, or three lines in this destroyed me. Chris Marker is the greatest of poets once he forgets the political jargon and focuses on poetry.

Le berceau de cristal [The Crystal Cradle] (1976) -

Garrel's second best! When that Ash Ra Tepel soundtrack kicked in I almost fell from my couch. This is simply some faces in orange light, but for some reason it's still a revelatory experience and a contemplative cinema that makes you enter the state of a trance. At one point the whole screen goes blue for split second and the screen jerks only to resume a moment later. It's probably just an artefact coming from the VHS source of the movie and wasn't even intended by the filmmaker himself, but that moment made my heart stop for a moment.

Lost, Lost, Lost (1976) -

The least favourite Mekas from what I've seen. This undeniably has some moments of sheer beauty, but Walden's no commentary and As I Was..'s poetic commentary make this film's narration pale in comparison. Reminiscences of a Journey to Lithuania seemed more interesting & less forced, too.

In den Tag hinein [The Days Between] (2001) -

A total blast! Proto-Lost in Translation and also a better film with outstanding use of framing and lighting and very genuine love story. I loved how the Japanese dude would go on and on speaking Japanese even though the girl couldn't understand anything (he himself spoke very little Deutsch, too), but still they understood each other quite well.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Haven't heard of that Lunet doc. Definitely need to check that out at some point.
It is part of PBS' American Masters series. It debuted earlier this week. You can watch the whole thing online.

http://www.thirteen.org/programs/ame...-sidney-lumet/
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Care for some gopher?
Pi (Darren Aronofsky, 1998) -

Stuart Little (Rob Minkoff, 1999) -
+
Rush Hour 2 (Brett Ratner, 2001) -
+

Movies like this make me feel like a moron. I see something this great and I just want to write about it so I can talk more about it, but I can't find the right words to do it justice. It is so simple but done in the most complex and beautiful way imaginable. So my simple mind just ends up just listing the things I love. Score, frame composition, editing, ending, and performances. There is probably more, that will have to do. If Matthew Weiner didn't watch this film 100 times when putting the style of Mad Men together I would be shocked. You know your film has style when smoking looks this cool and beautiful. I have an early contender for my favorite first watch of 2017.

Care for some gopher?
Mommy (Xavier Dolan, 2014) -

Black Book (Paul Verhoeven, 2006) -
+
The Bling Ring (Sofia Coppola, 2013) -

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Julia (Fred Zinnemann, 1977)

The Redemption: Kichboxer 5 (Kristine Paterson, 1995)
+
Stagecoach Buckaroo (Ray Taylor, 1942)

The Fits (Anna Rose Holmer, 2016)

Tomboy Royalty Hightower does what she can to fit in by transitioning from boxing to participating in a dance troupe.
The Man with One Red Shoe (Stan Dragoti, 1985)

Hold That Hypnotist (Austen Jewell, 1957)

The Perfect Holiday (Lance Rivera, 2007)
+
Divine Intervention (Elia Suleiman, 2002)

While a woman (Manal Khader) visits her lover (Elia Suleiman) in his car near a Palestinian checkpoint , he blows up a red Yasser Arafat balloon which floats over to Jerusalem and stops at the Dome of the Rock.
Road to Singapore (Victor Schertzinger, 1940)

Road to Zanzibar (Victor Schertzinger, 1941)

Road to Morocco (David Butler, 1942)

Innocence Unprotected (Dusan Makavejev, 1969)

Death-defying Serbian strongman Dragoljub Aleksic lived a plentiful life before, during and after WWII as depicted in this fanciful semi-mockumentary.
Why Vandalism? (No Director Listed, 1955)
+
Carter’s Army aka Black Brigade (George McCowan, 1970)
+
Kickboxer 3: The Art of War (Rick King, 1992)
+
Black Belt Jones (Robert Clouse, 1974)
+

After a breaking-the-ice period, Black Belt Jones (Jim Kelly) and Sydney (Gloria Hendry) team up to seek revenge against her dad’s killers.
It Happened at the World's Fair (Norman Taurog, 1963)

Barbershop: The Next Cut (Malcolm D. Lee, 2016)
-
First Daughter (Armand Mastroianni, 1999)

South Central (Steve Anderson, 1992)
+

Gang member Glenn Plummer serves 10 years for murdering another gangster, but when he learns his son (Christian Coleman) is following in his footsteps, he tries to save him when he gets out of prison.

Care for some gopher?
Awesome that you liked Mommy that much. It's my favourite film of 2014 i think.
Yeah, the movie kind of blew me away. Great drama!

Dead of Night (1974)

A soldier killed in action abruptly returns home. The cover sort of makes this seem like a generic slasher, but it’s really an unnerving movie. It’s psychological and subtly paced despite being a ‘zombie’ movie.

Spider Baby (1967)

Super gimmicky horror movie bordering on spoof. Classic horror fans should get a kick out of it; much of the style is derivative of older Universal movies.

Dead of Winter (1987)

A somewhat Hitchcockian thriller amid a nice snowy backdrop. This gets hilariously over the top, yet it stays entertaining throughout.

The Sender (1982)

A decent psychological horror movie about a mental patient who can transmit spooky hallucinations. I don’t think there’s anything particularly bad or great about this, just very solid throughout.

And Then There Were None (2015)

People start getting knocked off on a murky island. A sophisticated BBC production with a classy setting, gorgeous cinematography, and good acting. It has an awesomely foreboding atmosphere too.

The Return of the Living Dead (1985) -
(
?)

Dumbest movie ever, but also the most entertaining movie ever. Might be a 4.0!

Cosa avete fatto a Solange? [What Have They Done to Solange?] (1972) -

A pretty cool giallo film. I expected more, but I'm more and more accustomed to the idea of spaghettis actually being better than gialli as a whole.

Zew morza (1927) -

Very enjoyable Polish silent melodrama. Not as great as Szaro's magnum opus Mocny Człowiek, though.

Dwie Joasie [The Two Joans] (1935) -

A typical comedy of errors, the most popular genre, after melodrama, in pre-war Poland. Then again, this has some amazing cast and quaint jokes that make it pretty cool.

The Quiet Man (1952) -
(
?)

I'm not a fan of its soap opera plot and comedy parts, but Maureen O'Hara is quite alluring and the cinematography rocks my socks off. Undeniably a pleasure to look at visually, but it's draggin' at times. Also, in a couple of moments a character almost curses and only uses a different word instead or does not finish his sentence. Did he kick her butt on that meadow after dragging her for like 20 meters? WTF?! And that final brawl, oh, come on, really? Looks like I like Ford colour films less than his black'n'white flicks (to say the least, since The Stagecoach and The Grapes of Wrath are absolute masterpieces).This might be a 3.0, but the last 30 minutes are so weak. Took many screenshots:

La casa sperduta nel parco [The House on the Edge of the Park] (1980) -

What a sick, depraved, repugnant film from the director of Cannibal Holocaust. What a great f*cking movie. I WANT MOAR!

The Ladykillers (1955) -

Very quaint sense of humour. Very enjoyable and easy to watch. To think this lady died only two years after the film's been released.

Movies from the 50's list still to see:

People Will Talk
Caine Mutiny
Giant
Shane
The Ten Commandments

Welcome to the human race...
Salut les cubains (Agnès Varda, 1963) -

Allied (Robert Zemeckis, 2016) -

Hard to Be a God (Aleksei German, 2013) -

Keanu (Peter Atencio, 2016) -

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Tim Burton, 2016) -

Quadrophenia (Franc Roddam, 1979) -

The Runaways (Floria Sigismondi, 2010) -

My Lucky Stars (Sammo Hung, 1985) -

Resident Evil: Apocalypse (Alexander Witt, 2004) -

Undisputed III: Redemption (Isaac Florentine, 2010) -

Allied (Robert Zemeckis, 2016) -
That rating shocks me a bit. I rated it about the same, which means you probably liked it much more. Thoughts?

Welcome to the human race...
That rating shocks me a bit. I rated it about the same, which means you probably liked it much more. Thoughts?
I think its key strength is its core functionality, which definitely compensates for the odd visual flaw (such as some distracting moments of digital blur during fast-paced action sequences). Even though the hook/twist doesn't come until about halfway through and the ads effectively spoiled it, it's remarkable how well the entire first act plays out as an old-timey spy thriller that builds a fairly believable romance between the leads in the process. The second act is a little flabby, but it never truly gets boring either. I was also expecting that

WARNING: "Allied" spoilers below
Cotillard's character would be innocent all along but Pitt's increasingly desperate attempts to prove her innocent would end up getting him tried with treason instead

but I can't say I wasn't exactly disappointed that it didn't go down that road. All in all, I'd say it was surprisingly decent.

I think its key strength is its core functionality, which definitely compensates for the odd visual flaw (such as some distracting moments of digital blur during fast-paced action sequences). Even though the hook/twist doesn't come until about halfway through and the ads effectively spoiled it, it's remarkable how well the entire first act plays out as an old-timey spy thriller that builds a fairly believable romance between the leads in the process. The second act is a little flabby, but it never truly gets boring either. I was also expecting that

WARNING: "Allied" spoilers below
Cotillard's character would be innocent all along but Pitt's increasingly desperate attempts to prove her innocent would end up getting him tried with treason instead

but I can't say I wasn't exactly disappointed that it didn't go down that road. All in all, I'd say it was surprisingly decent.
Decent is the word I would use as well. I much prefer the second half to the first. The big scene that was indeed spoiled was the turning point for me. From that moment on I thought it was a nice tense thriller that won me over.

So in other words. Even when you and I agree, we disagree.

Damn, its been awhile since I stopped by MoFo. Frequent posters in this thread can expect to see a lot of reps coming from me in the coming days as I will be going back and looking through the ones I've missed. Personally I've only watched three films since my Look of Silence review in early september, and two of those were yesterday! So I guess film hasn't really been what's occupied my free time lately, but I think will be trying to catch up on the 2016 releases before the Oscars, so I'll be around and posting a bit more.

Recent Watches:
Jeff Ross Roasts Criminals: Live at Brazos County Jail (2015)-
-
Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising (Stoller, 2016)-

The Nice Guys (Black, 2016)-
+

Also started watching War Dogs the other day which I was enjoying quite a bit, but unfortunately the rental was scratched

Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench (Damien Chazelle, 2010)
-
G.I. Blues (Norman Taurog, 1960)

Plaza Suite (Arthur Hiller, 1971)

The Mouse That Roared (Jack Arnold, 1959)

The Grand Duchy of Fenwick declares war on the U.S. and wins!
Uptown Girls (Boaz Yakin, 2003)

The Hard Ride (Burt Topper, 1971)

Partysaurus Rex (Mark A. Walsh, 2012)

I, Robot (Alex Proyas, 2004)

Detective Will Smith may still use robots to drive his car but he's starting to have major problems with some others.
The Trial of Billy Jack (Frank Laughlin [Tom Laughlin], 1974)

Home of the Brave (Irwin Winkler, 2006)

Black Rain (Ridley Scott, 1989)

Breakfast at Tiffany’s (Blake Edwards, 1961)

Holly Golightly (Audrey Hepburn) seems to enjoy her life with Cat.
Sister (Ursula Meier, 2012)

The Lawless Frontier (R.N. Bradbury, 1934)

The Man in the Barn (Jacques Tourneur, 1937)
+
Deadly Fight in Hiroshima aka Hiroshima Death Match (Kinji Fukasaku, 1973)

Crazed mob hitman Sonny Chiba takes glee in terrorizing all his rivals.
The Spanish Main (Frank Borzage, 1945)

The Perfect Match (Bille Woodruff, 2016)

The X Files (Rob Bowman, 1998)

For the Birds (Ralph Eggleston, 2001)
-

A group of stuck-up birds has to deal with a much-larger featherhead wanting to share their telephone line.

Shane (1953) -

Top notch classic western with a stranger character that inspired Leone, but seriously this kid, this little kid... PLEASE MAKE IT STOP

ヴァイブレータ [Vibrator] (2003) -

I want to be one with this film. Love me, love me, love me. See? Now I'm as pretentious as this film. But really this melts my heart.

The Last Performance (1929) -

Not as lovely as Lonesome, but still a great film from Pál Fejős. "That's all, ladies and gentlemen!".

L' enfant secret [Secret Child] (1979) -

You don't need talking in your films, Garrel, you really don't. But I need more Anne Wiazemsky.

Sanatorium pod klepsydrą [The Hour-Glass Sanatorium] (1973) -

At last watched this great Polish classic! Some call it the best Polish film ever. I beg to differ, but either way it's very good. The scenography, for one, is insane and so is the Gombrowicz-esque surrealism of it. Also, EVERY woman in this film (with the exception of protagonist's mother - an old lady) shows her breasts in this movie. More movies should do this.

+ other Polish stuff nobody will ever see anyway:

Manewry miłosne [Love Manoeuvres] (1935) -

Pani minister tańczy (1937) -

Książątko [The Lottery Prince] (1937) -

Trzy serca (1939) -

Małe dramaty (1960) -

Curse of the Faceless Man (Edward L. Cahn, 1958)

All the Way (Jay Roach, 2016)
-
Triple Agent (Éric Rohmer, 2004)

Sausage Party (Conrad Vernon & Greg Tiernan, 2016)

It’s a violent world out there for a vegetable (or is it a starch?) or any other food for that matter.
Christine (Antonio Campos, 2016)

Small Town Saturday Night (Ryan Craig, 2010)

The Green Slime (Kinji Fukasaku, 1968)

What Have You Done to Solange? (Massamo Dallamano, 1972)

Missing Catholic school girl Solange (Camille Keaton) turns up at the merry-go-round while other girls are turning up murdered.
Band of the Hand (Paul Michael Glaser, 1986)
+
Elegy to the Visitor from the Revolution (Lav Diaz, 2011)

Whatever She Wants (Je'Caryous Johnson, 2014)
+
Wake in Fright aka Outback (Ted Kotcheff, 1971)

Australian schoolteacher Gary Bond is forced to exhibit his macho side by his new drunk and violent “friends”.
Brian’s Song (Buzz Kulik, 1971)
+
Queen of Katwe (Mira Nair, 2016)

Waist Deep (Vondie Curtis Hall, 2006)

The Psychic (Lucio Fulci, 1977)

Psychic Jennifer O’Neill is having constant visions that she can’t quite interpret, but it comes to a head when she visits the remote home of her new husband (Gianni Garko) and sees things from the visions.
Unrelated (Joanna Hogg, 2008)

Monkey Business (Howard Hawks, 1952)

Don’t Bother to Knock (Roy Baker, 1952)

Tower (Keith Maitland, 2016)

Outside the University of Texas at Austin main building tower on August 1, 1966, eight-months-pregnant Claire Wilson and fiancé Thomas Eckman are about to be shot by Charles Whitman.