Need suggestions of good movies...

Tools    

I really enjoy watching movies, but I can't seem to find any good ones. I'm very picky with films and extremely dislike most mainstream movies. I like unconventional movies; stuff that is creative. Whenever I look for a movie to rent I just see a bunch of recycled ideas with new names and flashy cover boxes and special effects. I was hoping this forum could turn me on to a set of new films I could enjoy. Here are some films that I really enjoy:

All of Stanley Kubrick's movies...
Eraserhead
Being John Malkovich
Pulp Fiction
Adaptation
Silence of the Lambs
Taxi Driver
Jacob's Ladder

Any suggestions? I haven't watched a movie for the first time that I really liked since Eyes Wide Shut.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Any suggestions?

Yeah, get yourself to an online dvd rental site, and quick! Of course all you see in Blockbuster is the same old rubbish, but there are plenty of decent films out there

Your request is a bit vague...are you looking for just 'films since Eyes Wide Shut' or films from any era?

I would recommend checking out some of Lars Von Trier's work to start with, if you haven't already. Also David Lynch.

You haven't mentioned any foreign films at all...what about Oldboy, Open Your Eyes or Infernal Affairs to pick a few recent classics.

ThePrestige is bound to come in here and mention Memento, so I'll get in there first

I can give you a few filmmakers to check out, if you aren't familiar with them. I'll start with...

John Sayles
American independent writer/director who has been making quiet, character-driven, interesting films since the early 1980s. He actually started as a screenwriter for Roger Corman in the late '70s and into the '80s, and like the Scorseses and Coppolas that came before him you'd really never know it, though clearly learning the A.I.P. lessons of economy has allowed him to keep his films modest and continually financed. He has a familiar stable of actors, many of whom started with him, including David Strathairn, Chris Cooper, Mary McDonnell, Joe Morton and Angela Bassett.

Some of my favorites I suspect you'll groove to include Limbo (1999), Matewan (1987), Men with Guns (1997), Passion Fish (1992), Lone Star (1996), The Brother from Another Planet (1984), Eight Men Out (1988) and The Secret of Roan Inish (1994). That'll get you acclimated to all things Sayles, anyway.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I'm looking for any films in any era.

And yeah, I have Blockbuster's online rental. It's nice.

Momento was OK... lol

How about Robot Stories? Or Pan's Labyrinth?

Tyger, Tyger, Burning Bright
Maybe even Dark City would interest you. Its sorta mainstream, but pretty off kilter... a very underrated film if you ask me... and it does seem to get some pretty good mention from others on this site...

Of course I'm guessing we might be talking to dead air here since it doesn't appear c_olin has been around any more...

Maybe even Dark City would interest you. Its sorta mainstream, but pretty off kilter... a very underrated film if you ask me... and it does seem to get some pretty good mention from others on this site...

Of course I'm guessing we might be talking to dead air here since it doesn't appear c_olin has been around any more...
I think a better choice than Dark City would be City of Lost Children. From what you've said I think that would be more your speed. And even better than that is Delicatessen, from the same director. I think you'd enjoy both of those.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
You must have seen Children of Men, yes? If you love Kubrick and you missed it, grab that one ASAP.

Little Miss Sunshine
Flash Gordon ~ 1980
Electric Dreams
The Chocolate War
Hollywood Knights
Heavy Metal
The Wizard of Oz ~ With Pink Floyd wailing in the background

Any Harry Potter movie when you are high/drunk

Taps
Heartbreak Ridge
Pumpkinhead
The Apple Dumpling gang rides again
etc etc etc

Yes the movie should be creative.The movie should be story oriented.It need good direction.

Lost in never never land
The Dreamers and Rocky Horror Picture Show might be a couple that you appreciate.
I wish, I wish he'd go away."
-From Identity

Orange County

A system of cells interlinked
I'll list a few titles.

Mulholland Drive (Lynch, 2001) - One of my favorite films ever, and, certainly unique.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Gondry, 2004) - By the same writer that did Adaptation. Quirky and interesting. Don't let Carrey scare you off. This is a must see, and an amazing piece of creativity.

I'll second the recommendation for Children of Men. Fantastic stuff.

eXisteNz
(Cronenberg, 1999) Odd. Very, very odd.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I'll go ahead and throw The Butcher Boy out there even though it isn't one of my favorites, it seems to be in the same vein of what you are looking for. It's worth a watch anyway.

silence of the lambs ? kubrick ? well i guess i could suggest movies i hate : which in turn you would probably like

THX 1138
Inland Empire
Mulholland Drive

all very uncoventional and all boring

Hello.
Please try viewing my favorite movie list.
Chances are you might enjoy some of them.

THX 1138
Inland Empire
Mulholland Drive

all very uncoventional and all boring
Well, I agree about the first one... haven't seen the other two yet.

As for good unconventional films... get thee some Peter Greenaway films: I recommend A Zed & Two Noughts, Drowning by Numbers, The Draughtsman's Contract and The Pillow Book for starters. Then move on to the better but more challenging Prospero's Books (or go straight to that if you're already familiar with The Tempest).

You can check out some images from Z00 here.