Online movie rentals in general

Tools    

So, a certain computer company just announced they're taking on the burgeoning movies on demand market. Supposedly within thirty seconds you can be watching a film in HD and within 24 hours...I guess it vanishes into thin air. Kind of makes me wonder if I will skip the whole Blu-Ray/HD battle or even stop buying movies some day.

Don't know if such discussion is taboo here, but the way we watch movies might be changing before our eyes. Well, those with cable internet I assume. Any thoughts on this?

For me there will always be the thrill of physically owning a great movie.

I'm sure there are ways to save the movie you are streaming for replay later. Streaming movies in high-def sounds awesome to me. BTW - the war is officially over. Sony wins with Blu-Ray!! Glad that one's over.

I love Blockbuster online. I get 3 out at a time, return to store, get 3 more and by the next day - they're mailing my next 3. So, I watch a lot and the ones I'd watch again are keepers.

i think the collection value of owning dvds, blu-rays, etc. will be tough to overcome with a digital library of films.

the talk is that VOD is the next big thing, but I think its more of an accessory and convenience rather than major competition. Like you said itll challenge the industry and take it to somewhere new, itll be interesting to see where we end up 10 years from now!

-Hattori Hanzo

Yeah,I would be seriously pissed if there were no way of physically owning a film. I like to look at my big collection of movies and pick something out.

The King of Movies
I don't understand the process of renting movies online. From what i understand you actually have to watch the movie on your computer screen. What is the fun in that?

Also i hope to god it doesn't take over. Actually owning a DVD is way more fun than seeing the movie on some random website.

Yeah,I would be seriously pissed if there were no way of physically owning a film. I like to look at my big collection of movies and pick something out.
Ha, for some reason I found that last statement amusing.

I agree with you, though. I would be angry if one could no longer purchase an actual DVD. Half the fun of having a collection is the ability to say to a friend or coworker "You've never seen that? It's such a good movie! I have it...I'll loan it to you."

I own movies I like because they're great. I also heard that Charter on Demand, by Christmas 2009, will be giving people the experience to rent ANY DVD of a movie that came out in 2008-2009 for only $1.00 each. I will still enjoy renting movies however.

I don't understand the process of renting movies online. From what i understand you actually have to watch the movie on your computer screen. What is the fun in that?
I have Blockbuster Online. You rent a movie and they ship it to you through the mail, and you are able to exchange your online rental with a movie at the store for free. I think with netflix you have the option of watching the rental online or having them mail it to you. With both you have the option to mail it back and they send you the next movie on your list.

Since so many people oppose the idea of not being able to purchase a movie and own it separately from their computer, I doubt they will take away the home video experience.

HD DVD and Blue ray are both losing actually.

HD DVD initially lost to Blue ray, and Blue ray became the "standard." However, within the recent months, Blue ray rentals and sales have dropped on a steady decline due to the overpricing of the DVDs and having to buy the media players, while the "average consumer" can go online and download HD or regular DVDs for a lot cheaper. Within a year or two, Blue Ray Disc will probably fall into the same boat as the SACD, and all its other "innovative" counterparts.

---anyway---

I'm not here to sell you anything, however I started working with a software company from Tampa, FL. They developed a software platform that is, well, revolutionary.

The platform can offer a HUGE number of services, at bandwidth-breaking speeds. Full movies (including HD quality) can be progressively downloaded or streamed faster than most albums can be downloaded, and it only becomes faster with the number of users on the network.

Another great feature is the "drag and drop" capabilities, and the if your screens are capable, the resolution does not change, from the small box on your screen to expanding it full-screen to large screen formats.

If you are interested check the website:

If you are interested in pricing for content networks/content distribution through us, contact me at:

[email protected]

Joe

The King of Movies
I have Blockbuster Online. You rent a movie and they ship it to you through the mail, and you are able to exchange your online rental with a movie at the store for free. I think with netflix you have the option of watching the rental online or having them mail it to you. With both you have the option to mail it back and they send you the next movie on your list.

Since so many people oppose the idea of not being able to purchase a movie and own it separately from their computer, I doubt they will take away the home video experience.
But why wouldn't you just go to the store in the first place?

The King of Movies
The store doesn't have nearly as much selection.
ohh i just thought people could not be botherd going to physicly pick up the DVD. It didn't make sense as you have to either physicly return it or mail it.

ohh i just thought people could not be botherd going to physicly pick up the DVD. It didn't make sense as you have to either physicly return it or mail it.
What mark f said. The store doesn't carry nearly as much and that includes the classics.

Also, when you trade in an online rental at the store you may pick up another movie of your choice from the store for free. Two for the price of one. If you ship it back through the mail, they just send the next online rental.

Well here in Chicago where I live there are these little well not too little boxes called Redbox . You can rent the latest DVD's out for inly a dollar a day . Pretty limited and you have to sift through the crap to find something decent to watch . Not as good as netflix because you do have the late-fee of a dollar the next day. Anyone else have this where they live now ????