Sherlock Holmes

Tools    

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Well, I wasn't really saying it won't be popular, just that it is a departure from the previous film versions of Sherlock. And I think it will be very popular and from what I've seen/read, it looks pretty good, too.

Downey Jr.'s climbin' to the top!

I have read a lot of Sherlock Holmes' stories. I liked a lot of them. The movies would be great! But somehow I did not like the older movies already made on those stories.

It is not that they are bad but not so good as reading the story. So relatively books were good. May be this is the case with any movie made out of a book

Release Date: December 25, 2009
Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures
Directed by: Guy Ritchie
Starring: Robert Downey Jr., Rachel McAdams, Jude Law, Mark Strong, Kelly Reilly, Hans Matheson, William Hope, Robert Stone
Official Website: Sherlock-Holmes-movie.com

Synopsis:
In a dynamic new portrayal of Arthur Conan Doyle’s most famous characters, “Sherlock Holmes” sends Holmes and his stalwart partner Watson on their latest challenge. Revealing fighting skills as lethal as his legendary intellect, Holmes will battle as never before to bring down a new nemesis and unravel a deadly plot that could destroy the country.

I think I've read just about every story ever written about Sherlock Holmes... watched every movie made and used to love the tv series The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes & Sherlock Holmes... so I'm looking forward to this even though I was a little skeptical when I found out Guy Ritchie was directing... the trailer looks cool though and Robert Downey Jr. has always been a favorite...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Semper Fooey
Looks lousy. Sherlock Holmes with a twelve o'clock shadow? It's all dumbed down. Downey, a good actor, but totally wrong for Holmes.

Garbage.
Holmes the roguish Super Hero?
Holmes the womaniser?

What dross...How the hell this can in anyway be called Sherlock Holmes is beyond me.
Trailer looks awful.

I think this version is being based on a comicbook that's yet to be released. I don't know if that's true, but that was something I read when this was first being put together.

Still, I'd rather watch this one than the Sasha Baron Cohen/Will Ferrell comedy version that, may or maynot, still be being made.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Garbage.
Holmes the roguish Super Hero?
Holmes the womaniser?

What dross...How the hell this can in anyway be called Sherlock Holmes is beyond me.
Trailer looks awful.
Do people read the threads they post in?

I posted this before, based on research I did:

About it not really being a Holmes story, from what I've read about Holmes, it seems the film/trailer is hitting on some accurate details:

Holmes does carry a pistol and Watson was shot at one time
Holmes did prize fight
Holmes was a cocaine user
Holmes used martial arts and killed a man
Holmes used disguises (not sure about this one, but I'm sure it will be there)
Holmes was a ladies man
Holmes didn't believe in personal hygiene and Watson was a neat freak

Ritchie has also said that the Doyle stories have action and the films haven't really explored that. Also, the deerstalker isn't actually in the books, that was from some illustrations of Holmes by artists. So when Downey shows up in a fedora, that's also a bit accurate.

So it seems to me the movie might be right on.
If you don't believe me, check it out for yourself. Wikipedia had a good analysis.

The only one I might revise is the "ladies man" part -- but according to what I read, he just didn't have much use for women, and used them. So, yea, maybe that's not so wrong after all.

So I'm curious if you think this is "garbage" based on the books themselves, or on Hollywood's creation of Holmes.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
The trailers look great I think Downey is awesome and im glad he is bringing his uniquness to the film

Semper Fooey
Do people read the threads they post in?

I posted this before, based on research I did:

If you don't believe me, check it out for yourself. Wikipedia had a good analysis.

The only one I might revise is the "ladies man" part -- but according to what I read, he just didn't have much use for women, and used them. So, yea, maybe that's not so wrong after all.

So I'm curious if you think this is "garbage" based on the books themselves, or on Hollywood's creation of Holmes.
Fact

Sherlock Holmes does not resemble Robert Downey Jr.

Conan Doyle wasn't happy with the Sydney Paget illustrations because he thought Paget made Holmes too handsome. In many of the drawings Holmes looks so much like Basil Rathbone, he could have posed for them. others he looks like Arthur Wortner and Jeremy Britt. In none of the drawings does he look like Robert Downey who does not have Holmes' beak nose.

None of the stories are action packed. They emphasize mystery, not the movie's approach.

THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES (1939) is a fairly faithful adaptation of the novel.

Most of the television adaptation from England are faithful adapatations of the stories.

There is no way in hell they are being more faithful to Conan Doyle than previous versions. It is their right to do it anyway they want to, but are you a studio flunkie that you feel the need to repeat their nonsense that they are? The movie is not based on any of the stories because the producer says none of them had plots "big" enough for the screen, so that in itself is an admission they are doing their own thing.

Your research obviously didn't include reading any of the stories and, yes, some of us, unlike you, have.

Hey, I have an idea for you -- don't go see the movie!
Oh God, don't go there. I told Holden if he didn't think Avatar looked good he shouldn't go. And I got hounded and crap. Yoda thought I was annoyed that he dislikes what he sees or had something against him. Some crap like that.

So I wouldnt be telling people not to see movies. Or you'd be told you have some attitude or something

TRAMP:

Was there any need for that?

Unlike you, I don't have to look up Wiki to learn about Holmes.

As an avid fan of Holmes, both in the original stories and countless film and TV adaptations and usage of the character I not only don't need a cod, simplistic, copy and paste education but can in fact state for myself, based on actually READING the ****ing stories...that Holmes is not, in any way at all, remotely like the 'thing' in that trailer!
I own all the stories and a good dozen film and TV adaptations and 'based on' creations.

I really like it when people who actually have no idea at all about something, shoot their mouth off to people who do based on a ****ing look in Wikipedia!

Holmes basically had one brief boxing fight, never got involved in much action of any kind letting Watson take care of the very few moments of gunplay, he never remotely showed any 'use' of women or desire towards them and only ever showed interest of any kind in them on one exception...and that was as much plain old respect as anything even approaching romance.
He quite frankly mistrusted them and had little patience with them.

And Holmes a womaniser?? Boy, have you been fed a line! You look very foolish indeed.

And I never mentioned disguises or drug usage.
All of which are well known to anyone even remotely interested in Holmes (even those remotely interested would not in fact need Wikipedia to find out such things).

So if it's okay with YOU...I'll say what I want about any damn film I want. Especially when MY VIEW is based on first hand knowledge of the subject...UNLIKE YOURS!
I won't be hounded by 3rd raters with big mouths and no knowledge of what they shriek about.

WILL.15 was correct in his post, and your bitching at him, based on no knowledge at all of the Holmes' stories is as nasty and stupid as your reply to me.

And no...I won't be seeing the film.

I've got to admit I'd watch any old crap with Robert Downey Jnr in, but this is pushing it. Equally, I steer well clear of anything directed by Guy Ritchie.

The saddest thing though is that my dad will go and see this and have his heart broken.

I will see it. Not for anything else but Rachel McAdams though. Dear Lord she is gorgeous.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I don't especially get pissed when films totally fictionalize a real person's life, so I'm not terribly concerned when they fictionalize a fictional character either. That said, this will be a rental for me unless my wife decides that the combo of Holmes and Downey are enough for her to want to see it on the big screen. I've seen lots of films get air traffic controller and teacher scenarios completely screwed up, but my opinion on them is usually more based on their entertainment/cinematic value than their verisimilitude, which is usually zilch. Then again, if I'm missing something because of Holmes' stature in Great Britain, please forgive me.

Signed,

Rodney King.

Semper Fooey
I don't especially get pissed when films totally fictionalize a real person's life, so I'm not terribly concerned when they fictionalize a fictional character either. That said, this will be a rental for me unless my wife decides that the combo of Holmes and Downey are enough for her to want to see it on the big screen. I've seen lots of films get air traffic controller and teacher scenarios completely screwed up, but my opinion on them is usually more based on their entertainment/cinematic value than their veisimilitude, which is usually zilch. Then again, if I'm missing something because of Holmes' stature in Great Britain, please forgive me.

Signed,

Rodney King.
Dear Rodney King (is Mark F your alias?)

I'm from your part of the continent, Southern California, and I am not upset this movie was made, although it would have to receive some mighty fine reviews to prompt me to see it. What does bother me is claims by people responsible for the film that they created something closer to what Conan Doyle wrote than previous versions. That's a lie. And it's still not true when other people not connected to the film choose to repeat it.