2007....wow.

Tools    

Wow, 2007 seemed like a superb year for movies. I'm kind of a movie snob, and I usually only like about 5% of the movies I watch. 2007 seemed especially good.

Good but overrated films:

No Country For Old Men
Before The Devil Knows You're Dead

Almost great films:

Gone Baby Gone
Michael Clayton
Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story
Ratatouille

Genuine Masterpiece:

There Will Be Blood

Great documentary:

King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters

Haven't seen yet but am expecting to be at least very good:

Charlie Wilson's War-- okay, not too bad

No Country... is so much better than There Will Be Blood it hurts. I wouldn't put Michael Clayton anywhere near great either, though it isn't bad. Loved Ratatouille.

Best stuff you didn't mention was Jesse James and The Diving Bell... as far as I'm concerned, but the only film that reached greatness was No Country....

I do want to see Jesse James...... I still have yet to see it. I have heard good things about it, but am sometimes hesitant to see anything with Pitt in it.

No Country was incredibly mediocre compared to There Will Be Blood. If the majority of No Country's scenes were as intense as that one scene at the gas station (a brilliant scene), it then would have lived up to its incredible and undeserved hype.

There Will Be Blood is a menacing, visceral, brooding and gothic masterpiece, and at times is still subtle in its genius.

No Country is inferior to the Coen Bros.' very first film, Blood Simple. Very overrated.

I loved Michael Clayton. As much as I despise George Clooney for his ungracious and appalling attack on Charlton Heston (when it became public that Heston had Alzheimers'), I love the considerable and underrated talents of Tom Wilkinson. He was brilliant in that film. It was a really good story, too.

Colour out of Time
Guys what about Eastern Promises ... the best of those listed yet IMO.

I prefered There will be Blood to No Country for Old Men as the latter seemed so rushed at the end. The film was paced beautifully and then ... WTF !!!

Others worth noting ...

28 Weeks Later ... so so, but enjoyed

Loved Hot Fuzz for it's quirkiness.

There will be blood was great IMO

Daniel Day-Lewis is a dappa

Really liked 28 weeks and hot fuzz aswell

sill to see no country for old men but really looking foward to it!

Lots of great movies came out this year, but the only one worthy of Best Picture was No Country. Best movie i've seen in a long time.

Guys what about Eastern Promises ... the best of those listed yet IMO.

I prefered There will be Blood to No Country for Old Men as the latter seemed so rushed at the end. The film was paced beautifully and then ... WTF !!!
I'm glad someone else felt that way about No Country. I loved most of the movie, but felt let down at the end. Seemed very anticlimactic.

Noooooooo!
I'm glad someone else felt that way about No Country. I loved most of the movie, but felt let down at the end. Seemed very anticlimactic.
Noooooooo!
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

My favorite movies were Sunshine, Into the Wild, Sleuth and Zodiac.

I also really liked Michael Clayton, Ratatouille, Breach, Atonement, Fay Grim, Lust, Caution, Waitress and Redacted.

I liked No Country for Old Men, There Will be Blood and American Gangster (no competition for me though, No Country is the best of them) but other than being very well-made films, they didn't have that extra element that would make me think about them for days afterwards or even just want to talk about them with my friends and loved ones. I found them a little bit boring, even while recognizing that they were just as (perhaps even more) competently written, directed, photographed, edited and acted as many of the ones I placed above them.

You're a Genius all the time
Yeah, I thought 2007 was a pretty great year in film. I've never seen as many movies in the theater as I did last year and I only outright disliked a few of them. My top ten for the year would look something like this:

1. Lars and the Real Girl
2. Juno
3. There Will Be Blood
4. Into the Wild
5. Zodiac
6. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
7. Michael Clayton
8. Once
9. Gone Baby Gone
0. Atonement

I wouldn't grade any of those flicks lower than a solid "B" and I liked a buttload of other ones, too. So, yeah. If 2008 is anything close to 2007, I'd be very happy.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I am perfectly fine with the ending to No Country for Old Men, and thought it was deserving of its best picture win. A couple of other standouts for me are Sunshine and Ratatouille, but Once is my favorite out of the year.

I really liked Eastern Promises and There Will Be Blood; some really outstanding acting in both those films.

My biggest disapointment I have to say was Juno. It wasn't that I didn't like it, it just didn't have much of an impact on me at all and I thought it would be right up my alley as far as movies go.

I am Jack's sense of overused quote
1.. Lars and the Real Girl

Glad to see someone else loved Lars and the Real Girl as much as I did.

Welcome to the human race...
I can only think of five films from 2007 I'd ever admit to liking...

No Country for Old Men
There Will Be Blood
Grindhouse
Hot Fuzz
Sunshine

Every other 2007 release I've seen so far didn't do anything for me. Then again, there are still about a dozen I've got to see before I can make any real judgment on the year.

I liked both Zodiac (wow, Zodiac wasn't 2006?) and Eastern Promises, but not quite enough to put them on the list.

Into the Wild was just a little too sweet for me. I was a little uncomfortable with the way they made McCandless look like he profoundly touched everyone he came in contact with. Although there were certainly some genuinely touching scenes, like with Hal Holbrook's character.

No Country for Old Men
There Will Be Blood
Grindhouse
Hot Fuzz
Sunshine
bingo bango! i agree

I really liked "The Man From Earth"...not a big budget flick but a great story.