Whats the best movie ending of all time?

Tools    

www.letsmakeamovie.co.uk
liked the ending of thirteenth floor... but not sure if it is the best.

I really hated the end to AI though

liked the ending to The Sixth Sense but the best i think would be the ending to Saw

Welcome to the human race...
Well, I saw Chinatown recently - while it's not the best ending I ever saw, it's definitely close. No wonder Sedai is in love with it.

Oh my god, I cant believe no one has mentioned the following three,

Braveheart-
WARNING: "Braveheart" spoilers below
When William Wallace (Gibson) screams "FREEDOM" before him and Longshanks both die and the looks on Hamish's and Stephen's face when they hear him say "Freedom" instead of "Mercy." Simply beautiful.

Bonnie and Clyde-
WARNING: "Bonnie and Clyde; The Godfather; & RoboCop" spoilers below
The very end when both Bonnie and Clyde are ambushed by the police and are shot more times each than Sonny Corleone in the Godfather and RoboCop combined. No music or dialougue. The scene is so painful to watch.

Platoon-
WARNING: "Platoon" spoilers below
The very end when Taylor is in the helicopter going back to the aide station and he is sitting looking down at the battlefield from the heli after the battle, and he gives that short speech which is so well written and so strong.

EDITED TO ADD SPOILER TAGS --- In the future, please remember that some members have not seen every movie... thanks...

Three of my favourites from recent years...

Dogville
One of the most shocking and darkest endings ever.

Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels
Tom leaning over a bridge holding two shotguns with a phone in his mouth. I laugh every time.

Kill Bill Vol. 1
Wonderful cliffhanger that always sends chills down my spine...

WARNING: "Kill Bill" spoilers below
"Is she aware, her daughter is still alive?"

You have yet to see my masterpiece
Has anyone mentioned Arlington Road not only the twist the comments afterwards, Also Silence of the lambs
WARNING: "Silence of the Lambs" spoilers below
I am going to have a Friend for dinner

EDITED TO ADD SPOILERS TAGS --- In the future, please remember that some members have not seen every movie and do not spoil the experience for them.

You have yet to see my masterpiece
Originally Posted by Spin King-35
liked the ending to The Sixth Sense but the best i think would be the ending to Saw
that was a good ending but it was a lot better then the sixth sence

WARNING: "The Matrix" spoilers below
Neo was shot and killed by Smith, then he becomes alive again and killed Smith. Pretty crazy

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Originally Posted by Iroquois
^ That is highly improbable though and as such is not as great as ending as say Scarface ^
Sci-fi can't be great just because it's not realistic? The ending of The Matrix makes perfect sense by the logic of the film, and fits in with the prophecy of the One and what the Oracle has said to the different characters. The redemptive power of love and the resurrection of the fallen hero are excellent things to have in a movie ending!

Although, on the flipside, the ending of The Matrix Revolutions is possibly the worst movie ending of all time...

Wouldn't know. Never saw Revolutions.

On the flipside of an ending of The Matrix which features resurrection of the fallen hero, we have 12 Monkeys, which had a brilliant ending that is sadly ruined by the fact that you see it coming about 5-10 minutes beforehand.

the movie endings which i consider as the best are: 6th sense; fight club; old boy; usual suspects; saw 1,2; maybe something else too but cant recall now...

I have never seen some of the movies that people are metioning like:
Fight Club
Old Boy
Dogville
Kill Bill

Equlibrium. The sun comes up over a gray, drab plain city, the good guy won and everyone is free to feel good!

some that came to mind....

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
WARNING: "Ending" spoilers below
I was SO sure McMurphy would escape, and then they destroy his mind or something and the Chief puts him out of his misery and flees... so sad.. so perfect... like the rest of the movie

Memento
I had never seen such a... how to call it?... strange (positively) movie and then that stunning ending..

25th Hour
Throughout the movie I have always thought about that possibility but since - except for that one time Frank mentioned that option - no one really talked about that I didn't think that was gonna happen so that when it did I was so surprised and somehow very sad... it seemed like that best option of running away was for some inexplicable reason the saddest they good have chosen...

Bonnie & Clyde
I saw this movie yesterday and liked it very much all the time... and then at the end, though I knew what was coming and despite Moss's father ducking under that car and all those other obvious signs I was shocked... that moment bonnie and clyde looked at each other for a split second just before they were perforated by a storm of bullets, I'd go as far as to call that one of the best moments in a movie I have ever seen, one of the best moments in movie history. And like PrometheusFG said, everything without any music or dialog or anything, it happens so fast that you need a good deal of time to digest what just happened.

Pulp Fiction
the last restaurant scene was the best part in the complete movie, more precisely the last seconds when Vincent and Jules walk out of the restaurant... I can't tell why but it was just perfect

Kill Bill Vol. 2
Sometimes the absence of a "surprise" is an even bigger one. In all those years I've been watching movies one thing I have learned is that the normal movie never ends the way you think it would. That a movie can end without a surprise (of course, at the beginning of Vol. 1 we thought the child was dead and then she wasn't but we had known that since the end of Vol. 1) which in this case means that Uma actually kills everyone on her blacklist (let's ignore that zero-eyed bitch), especially Bill, and is still good, is proof of its superior quality. Many people can learn from that...

I would have to agree with Chintown, that movie has a great ending and is also a brilliant film. Also I like the ending to They Shoot Horses, Don't They? That movie is intense.

This is a fun collection of a lot of different movie endings..
http://grouper.com/GlobalMedia/Media...aspx?id=684050

Success is the only Earthly judge..
Fight Club, Star Wars E2 ( I mean how often do you get to see a cripple kick serious butt ) lol...But seriously most movies are going down the drain not only in endings but in everything else...we need a good movie...But to continue Ice age 2 was good, and I like the benchwarmers...

Another addition - Brazil

What about best openings? My personal pick would be Apocalypse Now. That was a defining moment in movie-watching for me.

the original halloween-very creepy and brilliant ending how he just disappears
pulp fiction- powerful speech by sammy jackson at the diner
godfather part 2- shakspearian like ending with michael ultimatly failing by becoming the very evil he had avoided
the empire strikes back- sad, captivating ending leaving you on the edge of your seat, plus one of the most unexpected and shocking secrets ever revealed
resevior dogs- out of all the characters how does buscemi live, and who the hell shot nice guy eddie? it's brilliant