Roy's 20th Century Movie reviews

→ in
Tools    

I like The Hitcher, but haven't seen it in a while. Can I press you about something without you taking offense?

I like The Hitcher, but haven't seen it in a while. Can I press you about something without you taking offense?
Sure...go ahead.

Okay. You seem to often call horror movies thrillers. It's a bit more forgivable here, though I still consider The Hitcher a horror film. But is there a reason, for example, you called The Thing a thriller and not a horror, which it so clearly is?

Again I'm just curious. I read an article just the other day about how films that are obviously horror are labeled differently for various reasons. It's a shame to me, and I just wanted to know where you are coming from so I could get some insight.

Okay. You seem to often call horror movies thrillers. It's a bit more forgivable here, though I still consider The Hitcher a horror film. But is there a reason, for example, you called The Thing a thriller and not a horror, which it so clearly is?

Again I'm just curious. I read an article just the other day about how films that are obviously horror are labeled differently for various reasons. It's a shame to me, and I just wanted to know where you are coming from so I could get some insight.
I think the term "thriller" is very broad, and not clearly defined. I think The Hitcher is a thriller with horror aspects. A thriller, to me, is more focused on suspense, rather than scares. The Hitcher has more suspense and feelings of anxiety.

You also must have me confused with someone else, as I think The Thing is a horror movie, not a thriller so much. I guess for me, horror moreso means "scary" and macabre than suspenseful. Although, the two terms tend to overlap sometimes. Maybe The Thing is a horror-thriller. Plenty of movies cross multiple genres.

You called The Thing a thriller in my thread, pretty sure that's what he's talking about.
I did? Now I'm confused..lol. I edited my post.

Love The Thing. One of my favorite sci-fi thrillers. So much ambiguity though. Nightmare on Elm Street is simply a classic. The best of the series and the one with the least cheesiness.
It's no big deal by the way, and thank you for responding without taking offense or anything. I was worried about that.

I think the term "thriller" is very broad, and not clearly defined. I think The Hitcher is a thriller with horror aspects. A thriller, to me, is more focused on suspense, rather than scares. The Hitcher has more suspense and feelings of anxiety.

You also must have me confused with someone else, as I think The Thing is a horror movie, not a thriller so much. I guess for me, horror moreso means "scary" and macabre than suspenseful. Although, the two terms tend to overlap sometimes. Maybe The Thing is a horror-thriller. Plenty of movies cross multiple genres.
I think this is a very fair assessment. Not much more to add, I can totally understand The Hitcher being called a thriller with horror elements. I haven't seen it in a while so it probably is that.

Here's your post you called it a sci-fi thriller - http://www.movieforums.com/community...40#post1630840

Doesn't bother me just showing what he meant for the record.
Oh...and that's another confusing term—Sci-fi. People always have a hard time labeling that too. OK, I finally declare The Thing a sci-fi thriller/horror film.

By the way, I'm really glad you shared your thoughts about The Hitcher. I was in agreement with HK, I am far more interested in what you yourself think rather than a rundown of the movie. Great stuff.

Roy, I haven't seen The Hitcher and most likely won't, I'm not a fan of modern horror...but there are a lot of horror fans here, so keep up the good work and I will chime in on the films I've seen

Roy, I haven't seen The Hitcher and most likely won't, I'm not a fan of modern horror...but there are a lot of horror fans here, so keep up the good work and I will chime in on the films I've seen
In what decade/year do horror films become modern for you? Just letting you know though...it's more of a thriller than a horror as I was telling Swan. If you do decide to watch the movie, I really don't think you'll be disappointed.

In what decade/year do horror films become modern for you? Just letting you know though...it's more of a thriller than a horror as I was telling Swan. If you do decide to watch the movie, I really don't think you'll be disappointed.
Good question, I prefer classic era horror, from the 1930s to 1950s...the 60s and early 70s was good too, but once the new crop of slasher-horror movies became popular in late 70s-80s, I lost interest. That's not to say I haven't seen anything in the horror genre latter than the 70s, I have. I'm sure I've seen some stuff from the 21st century, it's just not my forte.

The Hot Rock (1972)

Genre: Caper/Comedy
Starring: Robert Redford, George Segal, Ron Leibman, Paul Sand, Zero Mostel, Moses Gunn

The Hot Rock is about a group of thieves who plan the ultimate heist. But have you ever seen anyone pull off the perfect crime? Doubtfully.

Robert Redford's character gets released from prison, only to go right back to his criminal ways. His friend and fellow thief persuades him to do another heist. So they contract two outsiders to help them steal a diamond for a man named Dr. Amusa (Moses Gunn). Their carefully-constructed caper seems to be going well, only to get derailed by an unforeseen mishap. The dopey one they gave the diamond to hold on to gets arrested and is sent to the state penitentiary. The movie follows several ploys to get back the diamond, and each time something goes wrong and they have to start over again, typically due to their clueless friend. Every project that fails still demands funding from their increasingly agitated head man. And Dr. Amusa has something else up his sleeve.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This film, while not great, is a decent watch. It's interesting seeing them come up with all these resourceful and somewhat unusual plans for rescuing the jewel, and how they keep failing each time. Oh and there's a twist or two along the way.

The Blob is hands down one my top 5 monster movies from the 1940/1950s. For one it stars my favorite actor, Steve McQueen, so that inherently makes it better. I think the special effects are pretty good too...don't know how they did it.
I love The Blob, it seems to be a high quality B film, like you said the special effects are pretty good and it's in color. So both of those cost some money. I didn't remember Steve McQueen was in it. I had noticed of course your avatar and that you have some of his movies in your Top 10. I think he's a very underrated actor and one of my favorites. I had planned on seeing The Blob before sending in my sci fi list for the countdown.

I love The Blob, it seems to be a high quality B film, like you said the special effects are pretty good and it's in color. So both of those cost some money. I didn't remember Steve McQueen was in it. I had noticed of course your avatar and that you have some of his movies in your Top 10. I think he's a very underrated actor and one of my favorites. I had planned on seeing The Blob before sending in my sci fi list for the countdown.
[/center]
Yeah...I would have to put the Blob in my top sci-fi list too. I'm already struggling just coming up with the first 15.

And Steve McQueen...though his roles may not be as diversified as Deniro or Pacino, there's just something about his on-screen presence that draws me. The way he acts, talks, like just his general disposition. And the movies he's been in ares some of my favorites as you've seen.

Check out this link to get some ideas for your top sci fi list. That's what I did and was surprised how many of them I had seen and forgotten.

Highest Rated Sci-Fi Feature Films With At Least 1000 Votes
Thanks, will do!