Life Changing Movies

Tools    

I'll start by saying that i own Fight Club, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and many others you all have mentioned. I respect that they are so highly acclaimed and influential, but i'll admit that neither really changed my life.

My list is as follows, along with actual accounts of how they changed my life. Im not sure why i suddenly feel like sharing so much, but here it is. The Epic tale of my life as told through it's most influential movies.

Clerks. Smith, 1994

I've been a film student for several years now, and one thing i've learned is that we all outgrow the same things that once had us so captivated. I'll admit that i was once a pretty devout Kevin Smith fanatic. This was high school, and his movies offered a sort of social alternative to all the other crap i was putting up with. I didnt have many friends, and of the ones i had, only a few were real. Since then, i've grown. I still enjoy his movies, but needless to say, im now able to appreciate film as a language, as expression, as passion. Smith's movies dont utilize film for what it is. Their only real merit, in fact, is the writing. But they led me to where i am, so i will always respect them.

I first saw Clerks my freshman year at the request of a buddy of mine who said i would love it. It took me a few viewings, but it grew on me. It provided me with a sort of mirror for my own life. I was miserable, in almost every way. At first, the movie just gave me new ways to b*tch and moan about my life. I could relate, because i worked at Subway and knew those annoying customers. I knew how it felt to be breatted by them at every turn. As time went on, the movie helped me realize that there was no aspect of my own misery that wasnt under my own control. If i didnt like something about my life, i had the power to change it. This was a hell of a lesson to learn as early as high school.

Today, i can watch the movie and remember what i was feeling back in the old days. I remember where i came from, and why i made the decisions i did. Clerks II provided an especially poignant follow up for me. It seemed to pick up, thematicly speaking, exactly where i would have been if the first flick hadnt reached me so deeply.

So go ahead and laugh, MoFo's. I put a Kevin Smith flick on the 'Life Changing Movies' Thread.

Lost In Translation Sophia Coppola, 2003

I wrote and directed my first movie in the 2nd grade. It was one of my first passions, though i didnt stick with it. After that, i wanted to be a firefighter, an astronaut, and engineer, a biologist, a photographer, an FBI agent. I went through the whole list. 2003 was a hell of a year for me, because it marked the return of my passion for film. Lost in Translation is what did it for me.

I started taking Video Production class my Junior year in high school. It was an easy A, to be sure, and i had a moderate interest in video cameras and things like that. The teacher for this class was incredible, and really got me passionate about it. I started thinking seriously about film as a career. Later in the year was the Breckenridge Film Festival. I attended with a friend from class, to the opening feature. My friend spent the flick in stitches, laughing at Bill Murray and the complete irony of the flick. I spent it mostly in silence, not because of any sort of dispondence, but rather, in complete and wonderful awe at the sheer beauty of what i was seeing. The images went directly into the heart of me. It took several weeks to fully digest, but the outcome was a desire to create something just as beautiful. My future was born, you could say. I graduated high school and went to University of Colorado where i am currently seeking a BFA in Film Studies.

There were many thematic aspects of the flick, which i could say changed my life. I didnt notice them until a few years later, but when i did i took them to heart. I related to this idea of connections, of forging them when there are no other connections to be had. I realized, that in my own life i had to try to make real connections with people, and no matter how brief they are, respect them for what they can teach me. This movie remains one of my all time favorites.

Le Samourai Melville, 1967
I was hardly excited when the opening shots of Le Samourai came on during my Auteur Study Class. It was early in the morning and my mind was elsewhere. I was starting a block of film classes which would last until late afternoon, and at that point in the semester, i wasnt even sure what i was doing. I was hardly in the mood to read subtitles.

My own attempts at filmmaking up to that point had been utter failures. I admit that i had little to no concept of what makes a good frame, and my editing was something you would expect from a surrealist on angel dust. I couldnt not attribute my failures to anything, and i was becoming increasingly frustrated. Like my earlier mentor, Kevin Smith, i could write a hell of a piece, but i was having trouble putting anything on film. My freshman year in college i had two professors tell me to change my major. One of them said, "I just dont think you have the understanding of movies that you need to be a film major." I remember the other one saying, "Well, not everyone can make movies. Maybe you're just mean to love them, and enjoy them. But not make them."

Disheartened? Yes. So i focused on critical studies for a while instead of production. I went off to New Zealand and studied at Victoria University in Wellington. (I would give it about 10 years, and this will be one of the hottest film schools anywhere.) I was just aching for the missing piece that was given to me with Le Samourai.

The lights darkened, and like to good little student i paid attention. Im not sure if i blinked for the next 105 minutes, but when i came to im pretty sure there was a string of druel down the side of my face.

I had to write my final paper on the movie, so i had to watch it 5 or 6 more times in the weeks to come. Each time i was simply glued to the screen. What i discovered was a true, primal passion for the filmic image. Unlike my experience with Lost in Translation, this movie brought about a very passionate love affair with the very building blocks of cinema. I had already fallen in love with narrative. I had fallen in love with acting, with sound design, with editing, with lighting. The only thing i was missing was a clear image of what transpired when all these aspects were nailed directly on the head. What i needed, in short, was a masterpiece. My passion for film was ignited in a way i could have never imagined. That very same passion has found a home inside of me, and allowed me to view every movie from that point on in a new light. And now, i cant wait to prove those old dusty professors wrong.

And in all honesty, folks, this film is f*cking beautiful...

I have about 5 more of these to do, if anyone feels like reading them. When i get the time, i'll post them for sure.

p29
spike lee's 'Do the right thing' makes you think why people act the way they do and cause so much problems over different cultures and races.

larry clark's 'kids' and two independant british films- 'Bullet boy' and 'kidulthood' really can relate to kids growing up in london and the lifestyle is captured almost perfectly

I have about 5 more of these to do, if anyone feels like reading them. When i get the time, i'll post them for sure.
Great post Zeikie, I would love to read other stuff by you

I would agree with Nebbit...great writing Zeikie, Lets see the other 5

Meecrob "You know, that stuff you get as a appetizer at Thai food restaurants. "meecrob" is way grosser than "****," dude. I'd scarf down a whole wet bucket full of **** before I ate another plate of meecrob." Cartman

Maybe it's just me, but I can't get my mind around the concept of being more thoughtful of the mentally challenged after seeing "Forrest Gump" or more patriotic because of a viewing of "Sands of Iwo Jima" or more in touch with my "feminine side" from seeing "Thelma and Louise." I just don't see movies as having that much influence on real life. People didn't treat Okies any better after "Grapes of Wrath" opened nationwide.

Books, now--that's another story. All of the great ideas and concepts have been promoted and preserved through books. For instance, when I read Nevil Shute's "On the Beach" I was caught up in sense of loss in a world condemned to death as wind patterns slowly spread lethal nuclear fallout around the globe. When I later saw the movie based on the book, however, I was just po'd that, to capture movie-goers' attention, Hollywood felt it had to create a love story between the characters played by Gregory Peck and Ava Gardner that didn't exist in the book.

I have to return some videotapes.
Zeiken, well said. I believe you have stated what many of us are simply incapable of. To actually attribute physical outcomes and life altering headings as directly related to movies is incredible. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was paramount for me because I have always looked to the past with brighter eyes than I do to the future. But somehow, and I don't how, that movie altered my perception. I walked out of the showing with an overwhelming feeling of optimism for things to come in my life.

Ps. Didn't one of Einsteins professors tell him he would never amount to anything? You'll do fine.

"Brokeback Mountain" - to allow one's self to love before it's too late.
Although our society is far from a tolerant utopia, I am thankful it has gotten better so people can express their love to whoever they choose without so much fear of being killed.

In Heaven Everything Is Fine
Mulholland Dr. was the movie that inspired me to become a filmmaker. Pretty life changing, I guess. It was after that that I started watching Criterion films religiously in my quest to learn more about cinema and, consequently, I came across more movies that would make a big impact on me. Rashômon, Jules and Jim, 8 1/2, L'Avventura, and many others, but the one that probably left the biggest mark on my soul was The Seventh Seal. I still can't get through that Bergman masterpiece without getting emotional. Another great thing about being cine-wise is alot of well cultured West coast chicks totally dig the art house side of me. I even have a girlfriend right now, thanks to a riveting speech I gave her on Werner Herzog. So yeah, all of this thanks to Mulholland Dr.

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
the movie was called "flowers for algernon" or "charlie"
That's a great movie and book.

The original Time Machine didn't change me but it did help crystallize for me, part of the reason I remain a vegetarian.

That's a great movie and book.

The original Time Machine didn't change me but it did help crystallize for me, part of the reason I remain a vegetarian.
I would be a vegetarian too, but grilled steak & a baked potato tastes so good that I have to indulge. I am weak I know, but I also like sunny side up eggs over a chopped steak covered in sausage gravy with potatoes o'brien diced with fresh onions and green peppers. Oh well....

I would be a vegetarian too, but grilled steak & a baked potato tastes so good that I have to indulge. I am weak I know, but I also like sunny side up eggs over a chopped steak covered in sausage gravy with potatoes o'brien diced with fresh onions and green peppers. Oh well....
I like potatoes in almost every way. I don't miss steak because I've never had it. I'm not fond of gravy but each to their own.

*shrugs*

I've been a vegetarian my whole life, born and raised. However, I reserve the "right" to change my mind and eat something crazy, maybe even everything crazy someday! LOL!

I think it would be harder to be a vegetarian if you were giving up stuff you liked or loved. Life is far too short. I say enjoy it however you can find to do that.

I like potatoes in almost every way. I don't miss steak because I've never had it. I'm not fond of gravy but each to their own.

*shrugs*

I've been a vegetarian my whole life, born and raised. However, I reserve the "right" to change my mind and eat something crazy, maybe even everything crazy someday! LOL!

I think it would be harder to be a vegetarian if you were giving up stuff you liked or loved. Life is far too short. I say enjoy it however you can find to do that.
I was kidding really I was to each their own.

I was kidding really I was to each their own.
I agree with you. I took no offense from your comments.

I can't help but be a bit of a pedagogue on this subject. You wouldn't believe the flack one gets when one lives a little "outside the box."

It's not as big a deal now, but 40 years ago, it was an auto hate thing for many people.

Thus I often knew people for years before it dawned on them I was a vegetarian. Poor things, they HAD to like me then instead of making instant judgments. I'm so cruel that way.

Now I didn't raise my kids as I was raised. They had both Dad's meat and Mom's meat substitutes to try. I never tried to sway them. I want my kids to make up their own minds as I was eventually allowed to do. This year my daughter out of the blue said she was going veggie. To be honest it surprised me and didn't make me thrilled.

She had a whole unit of nutrition and cooking to do because of that. Her father loves to cook. He loves meat and he cooks very well. I wasn't sure she could do it. She has done well with it though.

Did I mention, (getting back on topic) Soylent Green? It didn't change me but wow, did it affect me as well.

Least I give out the wrong idea, intellectually, I'd rather eat people than "innocent animals" but fortunately, I don't have to do either.

It's not as big a deal now, but 40 years ago, it was an auto hate thing for many people.
I have been a veggie most of my life I disliked meat from an early age I was the child sitting at the table alone until I had at least one mouthful of meat

I didn't raise my kids as I was raised. They had both Dad's meat and Mom's meat substitutes to try.
I hate meat substitutes,they taste like meat yuk

I'd rather eat people than "innocent animals" but fortunately, I don't have to do either.
What about all the innocent veggies

I have been a veggie most of my life I disliked meat from an early age I was the child sitting at the table alone until I had at least one mouthful of meat
Yuk! I am completely against people being non-consensually forced to do anything. 'Rents should know, if they have any sense that you can't control a child's eating or bathroom habits.

You can influence them strongly but they have the ultimate control. They need to be careful about picking their battles else they might find they've created a child with a potentially fatal eating disorder.

I hate meat substitutes,they taste like meat yuk
I wouldn't know about that having not eaten meat. However I enjoy Fri Chick, Veja Links, Big Franks and Chiliman Chili. The few times I've gotten meat by accident in my restaurant ordered food, it was the texture that betrayed that fact and turned me off. I'm told these are NOT like meat.

What about all the innocent veggies
Lord how many times have I heard this before? They scream their deaths and misery in my ears as I murder them but I am deaf to their pain. LOL!

Yuk! I am completely against people being non-consensually forced to do anything. 'Rents should know, if they have any sense that you can't control a child's eating or bathroom habits.

You can influence them strongly but they have the ultimate control. They need to be careful about picking their battles else they might find they've created a child with a potentially fatal eating disorder.
LOL!
My parents just thought they were doing the right thing, meat was a must, to have a balanced and be healthy

In that case, I totally misunderstood! I thought you weren't happy with being forced.

Wow.

Not many can say that about their parents. Good for you!