Battling Siblings on Screen

Tools    

Had a pleasant visit with my younger brother over the weekend talking about the adventures and misdeeds we shared in our youth. Got me to thinking about the battling siblings who have provided the drama in many movies, such as Cal (James Dean) and Aron (Richard Davalos) competing for the love and approval of their father (Raymond Massey) and for Julie Harris in East of Eden (1955);

Big brother Gooper (Jack Carson) demanding his share of Big Daddy’s estate and trying to undermine his football-hero brother Brick (Paul Newman) in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958);

Ben Quick (Paul Newman) practically becomes Will Varner’s (Orson Welles) adopted son when he’s moved into the family home and placed in competition with Varner’s son Jody (Anthony Franciosa) and as a suitor for daughter (Joanne Woodward) in The Long Hot Summer (1958);

Bette Davis twice played battling twin sisters in A Stolen Life (1946) and Dead Ringer (1964), plus her unforgettable war with sister Blanche (Joan Crawford) in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962).

Disgraced railroad guard Grant McLaine (James Stewart) reunites with his younger outlaw brother the Utica Kid (Audie Murphy) in a contest over a stolen payroll in Night Passage (1957);

Richard Jaeckel as Pfc. Frank Flynn and William Murphy as Pfc. Eddie Flynn fought each other as much as they did the Japanese in Sands of Iwo Jima (1950).

Edward Ryan as Albert Leo 'Al' Sullivan, John Campbell as Francis Henry 'Frank' Sullivan, John Alvin as Madison Abel 'Matt' Sullivan, James Cardwell as George Thomas Sullivan, George Offerman Jr. as Joesph Eugene 'Joe' Sullivan scarcely said a cross word to each other, much less fought among themselves, in The Fighting Sullivans (1944). Most of you probably never heard of it, but this is what “inspired” Saving Pvt. Ryan; a patriotic wartime film loosely based on five real Iowa brothers who joined the Navy and served together on the cruiser Juneau, which was sunk in the South Pacific during World War II. All five brothers died in that action.

The ultimate dysfunctional “family,” however, had to be Lee Marvin who shot it out with himself as Kid Shalleen and Tim Strawn in Cat Ballou (1965).

C'on, add to the list.

In Heaven Everything Is Fine
The first movie that came to my mind was The Brotherhood of War.

The first movie that came to my mind was The Brotherhood of War.
Sorry, I'm not familar with that film.

Ruf he means the Korean blockbuster Taegukgi http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386064/ Good film too.

For something a little gentler, I love You Can Count on Me, with Mark Ruffalo and Laura Linney as siblings who've grown apart.

In Heaven Everything Is Fine
A few more...

Ran (Akira Kurosawa)
The Silence (Ingmar Bergman)
Cries and Whispers (Ingmar Bergman)
The Squid and the Whale (Noah Baumbach)
The Proposition (John Hillcoat)
Beauty and the Beast (Jean Cocteau)

and the Takashi Mike short from Three... Extremes, entitled Box.