The Videogames Tab

Tools    

In the Beginning...
Never controlled well? I never had a problem ever with the controls ever. I've never had a problem with it's framerate either.
Yeah, I have no idea what he's talking about. I never had issues with the controls or framerate in Ocarina. Like, not even once. That game played as smooth as silk. Mario 64 is just as smooth, too. I can't see a difference between them, as far as playability. Ocarina probably feels more dated in that respect because they've altered the controls a bit since then. As Mario platformers go, we've only had Super Mario Galaxy since then, but I can't speak to those controls.

Originally Posted by Pedz
I know MM on the Cube was dodgy, There was an explenation. I never had any pronblems with OoT or MQ on the cube framerate-wise, though admittedly I never played that much of them on the Cube. I can still play OoT and MM easily now with no problems. Obviously, it's a simple difference of opinion.
I never played Majora's Mask on Gamecube, but I did play through Ocarina and Master Quest. Graphically, Wind Waker obviously blew them away, but I found the games to play surprisingly well on the Cube. I never had any issues with dodgy control or framerate.

And Perfect Dark on the Arcade I find awfully fiddly, the controls are rather archaic and outdated. The game itself is immense.
I haven't played any of the Rare ports on Live Arcade, but I did go back and replay Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on the N64 (albeit briefly), and I couldn't adjust to the controls. How did I ever play on that slow-drag system? Both games are just downright fugly now anyway.

I'll be shot, but Mario 64 wasn't all that good.
BANG! Nah, it wasn't at all my favorite N64 game, but for a launch title, it was (and still is) a pretty impressive platformer, and a perfect translation of the Mario world into 3D.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Alan Wake reviews?
Not overly impressed, to be honest. It's great looking but just a survival horror at heart and I gave up on those around Resident Evil 4. If you like that sort of thing I'm sure you'll enjoy it more than I but it's been sitting unplayed since Thursday or Friday here.

RED DEAD REDEMPTION

So psyched. Tatty you wanna start a posse?
Undecided about whether to get it for PS3 or 360 but I'm edging towards the Xbox, sorry. You can see the differences in resolution here.

Multi platform titles should have a big sticker on the box saying 'Originally developed for...'.

EDIT - Reading the thread a bit more some are saying the PS3 version runs at a native 720p (it had been claimed a few weeks ago to be much lower) but that framerates aren't as good as the 360 edition. I'm sure it'll be barely noticeable but I've got a 360 so I guess that's my mind made up.

Nope, enlighten me.

Decisions, decisions! Y'know, I might even trade Alan Wake in for RDR and I was sure it was gonna be Nier which got dumped early when I bought them last week.

Nah, I'm waiting for the PS3 patch and then I'll finish Awakenings so that's staying for the time being. The 360 one runs smoother so that'll probably be the one I end up keeping and replaying at some strange and the PC one's only gonna be worth a couple of quid and I can't be bothered sticking it on eBay.

Cheers for the link although it looks like we'll have to import the US version to get any content as Europe isn't mentioned - Unless I've missed something, which is perfectly possible, nay probable.

In the Beginning...
Alan Wake reviews?
I just finished playing through the first two chapters. The game is beautiful, obviously, but it's not entirely what I was expecting. Gameplay is far more linear and controlled than I imagined, and the focus of the game lies quite decisively on the nighttime combat. Daytime scenarios are quick and contained, and mostly there just to advance the plot. And you can't just explore like we've all probably had in mind. Perhaps that's good, since the story is so specific and involved, but still... all that open country.

Combat-wise, the game is pretty standard (but competent) survival horror fare. Point your flashlight till the darkness breaks from enemies, then fire your weapon to put them down. Luckily, the developers realized that this could get stale pretty quickly, so they've thrown in flares, flare gun, flashbang grenades, and even car headlights (!) to parcel out the action. There are some pretty intense situations thrown at you, which I won't spoil here. But suffice it to say, the atmosphere and action at night is pretty eerie and WILL put you on edge.

I'm not really sure what's happening with the plot at this stage. It seems like there are some parallel narratives regarding time, similar to The Shining, but I can't be certain. Voice acting ranges from fairly good to laughable, but it's not enough to ruin the experience. I'm really hoping the daytime segments open up, perhaps so Alan Wake can do a bit of sleuthing amongst the townsfolk, but we'll see. I can't say enough good things about the design and implementation of the Bright Falls environment: it would be a shame to see all that work go unexplored.

I have only now gotten inFamous. I ordered for £10, I've only done 2 missions, as my PS3 is upstairs, and I don't play it very much. I would play it in the nights when the kids are in bed, but I'm always (almost always) playing WoW.

I dont know today I read a memo that they have some delivery issues about Red Dead for PS3 so it's coming out on wednesday next week probably however who cares I have the Prince of Persia the Forgotten sands so I am pulling an all nighter

In the Beginning...
Sorry, man.

But hey, the good news is they're pretty fast at getting your console fixed and back to you once you've sent it in. I got mine within a week of sending it.

The bad news, though, is that it'll cost you about $100 to do so. Still cheaper than a new system.

Is the console still in warranty? if so it'll be free for the RRoD. I remember when mine RRed, it took 2 months to fix, but I had a free game of my choosing and 4 months of Live gold, instead of 1 that most people seem to get. The second 360 I sent off was sorted very quickly, very quickly indeed.

In the Beginning...
Yeah, if the warranty is still good, it'll be free. But I'm betting he's over his warranty. Most people go more than a year without getting the rings, and the special extended warranty they issued is long since passed. Didn't they say that newer units are far less likely to get the rings anyway?