Religion in films, ie: I am Legend

Tools    

I have seen the trailers for I am Legend, and I them it a lot. It's an amazing movie idea and I am a big science fiction fan. Will Smith can play the tough guy vs. the end of the world, so well

I also have seen the "god still loves us" photoshop contest which is is a marketing campaign around the film...Thought I'm not sure if I totally understand how god will play in the film. Has anyone seen the movie and knows how it relates to god?

I saw the film last night, and there are some religious parallels. I saw the "God still loves us" sign that you mentioned, but only for a moment, and it didn't play any role in the story.

Other than that...

WARNING: "I Am Legend" spoilers below
...Anna, the woman Robert Neville meets midway through the film, says she's going to Vermont to meet up with a colony of survivors. Neville asks her how she knows it exists, and she says that God told her. Neville insists there is no God.

Later, in the film's climax, Neville notices a butterfly tattoo on Anna's neck, which reminds him of something his daughter said the last time he saw her. He realizes that there is a plan underneath it all, and sacrifices himself to save them (and by extension, humanity).

I am Jack's sense of overused quote
Religion is one of my favorite topics. The trouble with religion in film is that is it is difficult to do without coming across cheesy. Take for example the awful Harvey Keitel film Bad Lieutenant. Keitel's character does a list of horrible things and at the end hallucinates Jesus and has a redeeming, yelling at Christ scene.

Yawn.

However, in The Seventh Seal, Jons, upon the burning of a witch, cries, "Who will look after that child? The angels? God? Satan? Emptiness? No, emptiness, milord! Look at her eyes. Her poor mind is making a discovery. Emptiness!We are helpless. We see what she sees, and her terror is ours." Now THAT is debating religion, THAT is illustrating real thought about religion and the existence of God.

I like to read into movies and look for messages and other stuff. Sometimes I think about bringing pen and paper into the theater. Anyway, I noticed some religious allusions.

A few things about the movie I am Legend:

Will Smith is an awesome actor.
The DOG in that movie was probably a better actor than a lot of people. (Think of the scene when it was hurt)
Why didn't the monster that released the 3 dogs onto Will Smith go after him after the dogs died?
Did anyone else notice that in the final scene when the monster was trying to break through the glass in the lab, that for a split second the cracks in the glass looked like the outline of the arch angel's wings? Right then Will Smith saw the butterfly on Anna's neck and discovered the cure to the KV virus. Could it have supposedly been God that helped him? Was Anna the personification of the arch angel? .... Maybe I should be looking for a forum online. I like this movie.

is it true will smith is in favor of hitler?

is it true will smith is in favor of hitler?
It is discussed in the other forums, he has a statement where he said that hitler was essentially a "good" person...

Well, everybody has his own opinion. Other people even worship Satan.

everything is possible in a human mind, so whatever floats in anyone taste they worship LOL

Right people has their own opinion and they have a freedom to give their sentiment or worship anybody they want...Anyway regarding the movie I want to analyzed it better to clarify what you guys said about that "religious allusions"...

I like Will Smith acting in a Sci-fi movie like what he did in his previous film...I-robot, Independence Day, MIB and more...

WARNING: "WARNING SLIGHT SPOILER" spoilers below

In IAL, when Anna claims that God told her that there is a survivor's colony Neville responds by saying " There is no God" but after 3 years of isolation I guess he has lost faith in God.

the religiousness was poorly crammed into the end of the film. It would've been a lot better if it'd had a more enigmatic ending. Instead we're given a church as the first thing you see when the doors of the colony open. Please, if the director had wanted to follow a more mystical line, at least give that storyline a thread from the beginning. As I've said on the review thread The Stand does it better and bigger even if you're not a believer in a higher being.

The religious aspect of I Am Legend was definitely tacked on. It was absolutely unnecessary, but then, so was the unnaturally optimistic ending.
My main gripe with the ending is that it wasn't even made in an honest but displaced sense of naiveté - on the contrary, the ending is made in such an arbitrarily and obligatorily crowd-pleasing manner that it strikes me as a complete show of cynicism on the part of the (person responsible for the ending).
Still, despite the fact that these two factors mar what could have been a spectacular film, I rate I Am Legend very highly. I do this simply because, in itself, the first half of I Am Legend constitutes one of the more enthralling and moving cinematic experiences I've had in recent memory.