THE MOFO CHILL CLUB

Tools    

I would say its the only film I give 9/10 to.... maybe a 9.25/10.. not many get even that high of a rating from me...
You're too strict, but I already said that.

Like Bluedeed, I use the term pretty loosely. Every film that has a strong and lasting effect on me and that I respect a lot for its technical and narrative quality could be called a masterpiece by me.
A masterpiece is a piece of film that is so extremely well made that it automatically makes me assume that it's a consummation of the mind of a complete master of the cinematic arts, someone who just knows how to make a fantastic movie.

Never again, Swanney.
Another Eastwood fan! Sweet!

What have u seen?
Hang Em High, Dirty Harry, Magnum Force, A Fistful of Dollars and Pink Cadillac.
Not a lot BUT I'M WORKING ON IT. I haven't actually seen a lot of movies in general to be honest mostly because I wasn't interested much in movies up until like 4 months ago but yeah, I dunno. What about you, what have you seen??

Like Bluedeed, I use the term pretty loosely. Every film that has a strong and lasting effect on me and that I respect a lot for its technical and narrative quality could be called a masterpiece by me.
A masterpiece is a piece of film that is so extremely well made that it automatically makes me assume that it's a consummation of the mind of a complete master of the cinematic arts, someone who just knows how to make a fantastic movie.

There are many great films.. but masterpieces.. not to many...

do you like french cinema?

"Anatomy of Hell" directed by Catherine Breillat is a great film. Its one of my favorites.. but its not a visual masterpiece.

You looking forward to Jersey Boys Rauldc? I can't wait. I have watched a couple of decent blockbusters this summer but I am looking forward to a smaller film among all the big stuff that summer brings.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I just set up a criticker account yesterday, and one of the things I like about it is that it sort of curves your rating system. Some people like to give out "stricter" ratings, but when it comes down to it, we are generally placing movies into different tiers, a 9 for MovieGal could be a 10 for you, one is "stricter" but they mean the same thing.

I just set up a criticker account yesterday, and one of the things I like about it is that it sort of curves your rating system. Some people like to give out "stricter" ratings, but when it comes down to it, we are generally placing movies into different tiers, a 9 for MovieGal could be a 10 for you, one is "stricter" but they mean the same thing.
He likes to tease me about my ratings... I enjoy many films.. I have seen way to many films in my life.... most are just average... I havent had a "wow" film in a very long time.. perhaps its from watching so many....

I remember one week we went to the theatre 8 times in 7 days... and that was many moons ago.. I can only remember one film from that week.. and it was a very good drama...

thanks for the explanations raul, swan, cobpyth, bluedeed, and whoever else i missed. i agree there should be a sense of technical wizardry to go along with a compelling narrative

for whatever it's worth,
when i think of the idea 'masterpiece'
i instantly think of these two guys ↓↓

and their best music. mozart. beethoven. and the sensation of experiencing their best work. and i think that for a movie to be a masterpiece, there should be an incredible force underneath the picture. like an undercurrent. an understanding of humanity and a profound power... perhaps a worldview, a mindblowing one

once i get going on this it's hard to stop rambling. but that's why i think the Shining (1980) by Kubrick is a masterpiece. people go cuckoo on the conspiracy side of things with that movie, but even beyond the surface of a compelling and excellent flick... i begin to notice pieces of a worldview... that come from Stanley Kubrick, and from a personal place. i know many people think of him as cold, distant, & inhuman. yet with that movie i began to catch glimpses of his grande vision. moreso than his other films i've seen so far

then again, at the same time, i love a Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) too much to not call it a masterpiece. and there's probly not too much profound about that, other than loving the idea of a spirit nightmare dude who can navigate from dreamworld to reality. so who knows what i'm talking about

thanks for the explanations raul, swan, cobpyth, bluedeed, and whoever else i missed. i agree there should be a sense of technical wizardry to go along with a compelling narrative

for whatever it's worth, when i think of the idea 'masterpiece' i instantly think of these two guys ↓↓ and their best music

mozart. beethoven. and the sensation of experiencing their best work. and i think that for a movie to be a masterpiece, there has to be that kind of an incredible force underneath the picture. like an undercurrent. an understanding of humanity and a profound power... perhaps a worldview, a mindblowing one

once i get going on this it's hard to stop rambling. but that's why i think the Shining (1980) by Kubrick is a masterpiece. people go cuckoo on the conspiracy side of things with that movie, but even beyond the surface of a compelling and excellent flick... i begin to notice pieces of a worldview... that come from Stanley Kubrick, and from a personal place. i know many people think of him as cold, distant, & inhuman. yet with that movie i began to catch glimpses of his grande vision. moreso than his other films i've seen so far

then again, at the same time, i love a Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) too much to not call it a masterpiece. and there's probly not too much profound about that, other than loving the idea of a spirit nightmare dude who can navigate from dreamworld to reality. so who knows what i'm talking about
These are both good descriptions of what a masterpiece is.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Hang Em High, Dirty Harry, Magnum Force, A Fistful of Dollars and Pink Cadillac.
Not a lot BUT I'M WORKING ON IT. I haven't actually seen a lot of movies in general to be honest mostly because I wasn't interested much in movies up until like 4 months ago but yeah, I dunno. What about you, what have you seen??
Films he's directed that I've seen
Play Misty for Me
Pale Rider
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Changeling
Letters from Iwo Jima
Mystic River
Unforgiven
Gran Torino
Million Dollar Baby

Love them all.

Plus I've seen The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly and Dirty Harry.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
You looking forward to Jersey Boys Rauldc? I can't wait. I have watched a couple of decent blockbusters this summer but I am looking forward to a smaller film among all the big stuff that summer brings.
Eh, I'm not pumped for it, but I will give it a watch. I hope it's great though.

Films he's directed that I've seen
Play Misty for Me
Pale Rider
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Changeling
Letters from Iwo Jima
Mystic River
Unforgiven
Gran Torino
Million Dollar Baby

Love them all.

Plus I've seen The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly and Dirty Harry.
You've got to see The Beguiled, raul! That's my fave of his.

talking about Masterpieces in Cinema.. has anyone seen Malle's "Black Moon" (1975)? a Masterpiece in Avant Garde