I love Philip Morris

Tools    

Has anyone heard of this movie yet? I think it stars Jim Carrey--is it like "Thank you for Smoking?"

Has anyone heard of this movie yet? I think it stars Jim Carrey--is it like "Thank you for Smoking?"
No, it is nothing like Thank You for Smoking.

I Love You, Phillip Morris is actually a love story of sorts. Jim Carrey does indeed star, but Phillip Morris is a person, not the cigarette company, and Carrey's character does indeed fall head over heels for him. Phillip is played by Ewan McGregor.

From the description I've read sounds sort of like a cross between Forrest Gump, The Shawhank Redemption and Hedwig and the Angry Inch and the kind of ambitious oddball project that'll either be a masterpiece or a total disaster with no middleground.

It is the directorial debut of John Requa and Glenn Ficarra, the screenwriters responsible for the two Billy Bob Thornton projects Bad Santa and The Bad New Bears remake. The cast also includes Leslie Mann and Rodrigo Santoro. It is currently scheduled to premiere at the 2010 Sundance Film Festival next January.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

OMFG! why such a loooongg wait? Isn't it done already? In either case, I can't wait to see it, totally different stuff for Jim, and it'll be so cool to see him play a very serious character(i didnt like his character in 23..) when hes so used to going off a tangent for most others.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/07/17/...nal-trailer-2/

Wow, this trailer has such a weird tone to it. Don't know what to make of it yet.

Suspect's Reviews

Judging by the trailer, I don't think this is going to work for me. Which is a shame because it looks as if there's a good film in there. But I don't like the casting and it looks too 'French farce' for me.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Jim Carrey and Ewan MacGregor in a romantic comedy works for me

This film is apparently based on a (fairly bizarre) true story.

Originally Posted by imdb summary
Steven Russell is happily married to Debbie, and a member of the local police force when a car accident provokes a dramatic reassessment of his life. Steven realizes he's gay and decides to live life to the fullest - even if it means breaking the law. Steven's new, extravagant lifestyle involves cons and fraud and, eventually, a stay in the State Penitentiary where he meets sensitive, soft-spoken Phillip Morris. His devotion to freeing Phillip from jail and building the perfect life together prompts Steven to attempt and often succeed at one impossible con after another.
Released 17th March here in the UK.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Well, I just got back from seeing this and would definitely recommend it. A good mix of drama (well, true story), romance and slightly dark humour.