NHL 08-09 Season

Tools    

I know there aren't a lot of NHL fans here, but maybe I'm wrong. I realize it's a late start for the thread, but I figured it would be nice to have it up before the All-Star Break. Any thoughts or predictions for the Stanley Cup? Anything at all -- post away.

Anyway, the current standings (the cut-off is the top eight, so I'll only list them) for the Eastern and Western Conferences are:

Eastern

1.Boston
2.Washington
3.New Jersey
4.Montreal
5.NY Rangers
6.Philadelphia
7.Buffalo
8.Carolina

Western

1.San Jose
2.Detroit
3.Calgary
4.Chicago
5.Phoenix
6.Edmonton
7.Vancouver
8.Anaheim

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
I haven't followed the NHL since Rob Blake got traded to Colorado.

He's called Tequila. He's a tough cop.
I'm a Pens fan so things are kinda bleak at the moment. So frustrating to watch such talent go to waste. Still fun to watch Crosby, he makes plays whenever he is on the ice.

I'm gonna predict the Sharks win the Stanely Cup.

Ask me a question, any question: Grill a MoFo: Dill-Man

I played hockey for years, and being from Canada, well it's in my blood. I grew up in Edmonton and was a kid when they were winning their Cups, so I'll be a fan of theirs for life (so close a couple of years back, damn Carolina). I live in Vancouver now, and this team really annoys me. What a waste of money that Sundin was, I told everyone, don't count on the European players, but no, did they listen? You need a good ole Canadian boy leading the team, or if not, an American will do.

Canada really needs a cup in one of the remaining six cities that have a franchise, it's been 15 years now, not good. It's really tight in the west this year, I don't think any team can be considered out of the race for a spot. As for the east, gotta like Boston or Washington this year, but I'm pulling for the Canadians.

As for the Penguins, they have to pull it together, they have two of the three best forwards in the game. But Canada is usually behind the Penguins, unless they're playing a Canadaian team (well other than the Leafs, everyone here hates Toronto). We like the Penguins because Mario Lemieux played for your team, and he was one of the best players of all time, and now you have Sid The Kid, and Canada would love to see him hoisting Lord Stanley's Cup.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I knew I liked you, harrylime.

As for the Pens, they are struggling. I think once Gonchar returns and gets his game back, we should improve slightly on the power play.

I'm pessimistic about our playoff chances this year, so I'll be cheering for Washington to win it all.

You're a Genius all the time
I think hockey is a great game and I was a pretty legit fan of the NHL before the lockout hit. But, man, then I totally lost track of who was on what team and I forgot the names of all the divisions and whatnot and now I just can't be bothered. I went to a Rangers/Flames game at MSG earlier this season and it was fun; but the actual game was sort of a snoozefest. I've given up on the puck.

The Pens seem to be trying to pull it together. After dismissing Therrien, we seem to have improved slightly under Bylsma. Chris Kunitz, our recently acquired left wing, seems to be fitting in nicely. I'd like to see him working with Crosby, though - since Sid has been injured.

Maybe this is the "rejuvenated" Pens?

I noticed they're back in playoff position, the only problem is the top three teams, (the Bruins, Devils, and Capitals) are powerhouses this year. Mike Green is playing awesome, they better pick him for Team Canada at next years Olympics (this is a big deal for us Canadians, especially as they are being held here in Vancouver). But the Pens are playing good at just the right time, I always look at a teams past ten games leading into the playoffs to determine my choices to advance to the next round. The Oilers are in the race too, but I'm kind of pessimistic seeing as they'll probably place 7th or 8th at best and be forced to play against the Sharks or Red Wings in the first round.

I agree.

Either way, the Pens will have to improve considerably in order to contend with the Bruins, Devils, and Caps. Just from the looks of it, the Rangers might be dropping out of the playoffs soon, unless something happens fast.

It will be interesting to see if the Sharks last in the playoffs or not. I can certainly see the Red Wings lasting throughout - but who knows. The Red Wings dismantled us in the Stanley Cup, and they usually play like a finely tuned machine.

I'm really excited about the Pens right now, we are playing real well right now (5-1-1 under Bylsma) and mostly this is without Crosby. Once Crosby is back I can see us destroying the mediocore competition we kept having trouble with and easily competing with more elite teams.

Still, the dominant teams this year are dominant. The top 3 in each conference are very, very good and I think despite the Pens improvements they'll still have trouble with these teams. Our next game against the Caps will be very interesting. Probably will be one of the best games of the regular season (can anyone say Ovechkin-Crosby fight?)

I hope the Sharks make it far because I like them second to the Pens (just because I play with them in NHL 09 )

Oilers, Canucks, Flames, Canadians. Come on guys, Canada needs this, have pity for America Jr.

A first round series between Washington and Pittsburgh, that would be sweet!

How you liking that there Justin? 7 in a row, not too shabby. Too bad the Oilers are really chumping out right now. Guerin is a great acquisition for the playoffs, he was great back in the day in Edmonton.

Oilers, Canucks, Flames, Canadians. Come on guys, Canada needs this, have pity for America Jr.

A first round series between Washington and Pittsburgh, that would be sweet!
I also think a first rounder between Washington and Carolina would be sweet, but definitely less so than a Pens matchup.

-Hattori Hanzo

How you liking that there Justin? 7 in a row, not too shabby. Too bad the Oilers are really chumping out right now. Guerin is a great acquisition for the playoffs, he was great back in the day in Edmonton.
I'm pretty excited. I was also thinking about Guerin's playoff history and I think he'll turn out to be a great pick-up. However, I'm not counting Carolina or Florida out right now - which is why we need to keep winning. Everyone on the Pens seems to be showing up to play finally; their enthusiasm has returned and it seems their offense is much more free-form than it was before with Therrien. I always felt our offense was far too conservative under Michel, given the offensive talent we have.

Columbus will definitely be a challenge for us. They've been playing very well lately; the Blue Jackets may be the dark horse for the playoffs.

As for the Caps, I do like them a lot - despite their hatred for Sid. But, I will admit it was great to see Sid play such a great game under such hellish circumstances in Washington - crowd was relentless! It seems that it's Crosby VS Ovechkin, where it used to be Malkin VS Ovechkin.

Columbus has that awesome rookie goaltender Mason, a shoe-in for Rookie of the Year. The Oil are losing, but thankfully so are alot of the teams just under them. It should be an exciting pre-playoffs for the last couple of weeks before the season ends in both conferences.

How about Kennedy lately? He's always been one of my favorite players because of his work ethic but lately he has taken his game to another level. He flys faster than anyone else on the ice and has been making more use of his speed to make plays instead of just being the first one to get there. I love watching him play.

In fact I love watching the Penguins play. Guerin was an excellent pick-up. Whenever it's Guerin, Malkin, Crosby, Gonchar, and Letang on the ice it's increadibly exciting to watch and in my opinion is the best set-up in the league. They are a nightmare for any defense. A potent weapon that should come in handy in the big games coming up.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
I didn't think that was excessive, especially for a 50th goal.

There is no audio for this clip.

Theoren Fleury's celebration is over the top.

What concerns me is the new fighting rules the owners want to impose.

With the rise of extreme sports like X-Games and MMA, people will just tune out.